Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: MZ's Top Ten Films of 2009 (plus six honourable mentions)...

Super Moderator

UK

Post MZ's Top Ten Films of 2009 (plus six honourable mentions)...

http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2009/12...s-of-2009.html

Enjoy folks!

Here's a little sample below:
    Adventureland (13/9/09):
    Thoughtful and enthralling coming-of-age comedy drama. 'From the director of Superbad' was the wrong way to sell it, but nevertheless Kristen Stewart manages to make the entire audience fall in love with her, as 80s nostalgia reigns supreme, and everyone reminisces about their own youth - whether it was like Adventureland or not.

capncnut
    Yeah, mate. Moon is my number one of the year thus far, but hoping Avatar will top it though.

Super Moderator

UK
    Moon has a better script in terms of dialogue and character motivation, and it's a really kick arse little flick with an indie British flair.

Avatar on the other hand is a pure, unbridled event of a movie, brought to you by the ultimate filmmaking showman alive today. And it looks beautiful in 3D (heck, it's beautiful anyway).

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    you think avatar is the flick of the year over moon.

oh man, i am dissapoint.

Super Moderator

United States
    You gave an honorable mention to Watchmen, MZ?! You must be channeling the Christmas Spirit, good sir!

Great list. I haven't seen Moon, though or the The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, but now I'm hopeful I'll enjoy when I get 'round to them.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    You gave an honorable mention to Watchmen, MZ?! You must be channeling the Christmas Spirit, good sir!

Great list. I haven't seen Moon, though or the The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, but now I'm hopeful I'll enjoy when I get 'round to them.
    Imaginarium is out in NY and LA on Christmas, I believe. The rest of the country has to wait until January 8th, I believe it is.

So if you see it in your neck of the woods, let me know what you think.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    you think avatar is the flick of the year over moon.

oh man, i am dissapoint.
    omfgodzorz, someone on teh intarwebz has a different opinion!!1!!1!111!!9

This is why I wrote little bits underneath all the titles (and a huge piece about Avatar itself separately), sheesh. It's my flick of the year, and I think my exhaustively laid out thoughts on it would make it obvious enough why, you cheeky sugar glider...

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post

Moon is a great little film. Intelligent sci-fi and Sam Rockwell is awesome. Gerty is also a brilliant computer 'sidekick' for lack of a better word.

Imaginarium is a strange piece ... very Gilliam.

hehe, I was wondering how long it'd be until someone raised an eyebrow at the honourable mention for Watchmen. Fact is though, it has stuck in my mind throughout the year, despite some flaws and that it could have essentially been directed by anyone (judging by what you see on screen I mean, bar the overuse of slow-mo of course).

Still doesn't change my mind about Yawn04 or 300.

Canada
    I agree with Hellsing in this case. I just didn't think it was particularly great, and the message just seemed way to ham-fisted and *WHAM MOTHERFUCKER*. I also could not empathize with the Na'vi...I just...hated them.

all that in mind, the movie was visually breath taking, as it should be, and the vehicle/gun/creature designs were all pretty neat, but not out of the ordinary. Well, except the aliens, but that is a given. I wouldn't really call this a movie, but would refer to it as more of a "spectacle" that you go to too turn your brain off and enjoy the pretty pictures. That said, it wasn't completely stupid, and I won't say that it is unoriginal as pretty everything these days is unoriginal and owes some kind of debt to something else idea wise.

Of course, this entire post is in my opinion, and I enjoyed reading about yours MZ, but I really can't agree with it in the least.

I should pitch my movie idea to James. It is about a Neanderthal priest named Ugrog Demystifiline that lives in a travelling nunery (that rests on the back of several Brontosaurus) and searches the world for the last 7/11 (which was wiped out in the 17th war with the Sasquatch and their Loch ness monster allies). It is also a Disco musical that features many songs about dancing and even has a brontosaurus (that has corn rows) rap a couple times. When they reach the 7/11, Ugrog discovers a secret lab that the Lizard men are using to cross breed Neanderthals and tin cans, creating super strong cans of corn with furry arms and large foreheads. Ugrog must call upon every holy fibre in his body to channel the spirits of chenataway, and use the magic of love (he is in an open relationship with a young Sasquatch named Cheallywong that is play by Jason Alexander) to defeat the lizard man overseer.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Gran Torino only gets an honorable mention?????????????

MZ I am quite shocked.... This is the return of Dirty Harry without it being Dirty Harry... You need to re-think this one. This is undoubtedly Clints best work ina Revenge Get even film setting, and while Hmung cast is kinda of weak as they are new comers to acting the overall film and its story are outstanding and quite frankly... no one else could have played Walt Kowalski so well.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    The years Top 3 Sci-Fi:

1. District 9
    2. Star Trek
    3. Watchmen (Yes, I really liked it)

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Gran Torino only gets an honorable mention?????????????

MZ I am quite shocked.... This is the return of Dirty Harry without it being Dirty Harry... You need to re-think this one. This is undoubtedly Clints best work ina Revenge Get even film setting, and while Hmung cast is kinda of weak as they are new comers to acting the overall film and its story are outstanding and quite frankly... no one else could have played Walt Kowalski so well.
    Amazing how different people have different opinions, isn't it?

It's an honourable mention. That's good enough.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Amazing how different people have different opinions, isn't it?

It's an honourable mention. That's good enough.
    No its not good enough, infact it should outrank that lavish waste of $300 million dollars called Avatar.

I DEMAND IT BE MOVED INTO THE TOP 5 of most awesome Clint Eastwood films ever made and I DEMAND it be moved WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY ahead of AVATAR

This is all of course in gist and plains imple fun
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Super Moderator

UK
    No chance bucko. I stand by my list.

If you want to do your own list, feel free. You could talk about it on the next WNWR show.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    No chance bucko. I stand by my list.

If you want to do your own list, feel free. You could talk about it on the next WNWR show.
    Is that a hint that I need to record a new show????

Email Lou and tell him to get motivated, I now have something to bitch about.

MZ's epic movie list of 2009, you know Lou's going to tear you a new one for that HONORABLE MENTION as well.

Be prepared for a tongue lashing my good friend.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Is that a hint that I need to record a new show????

Email Lou and tell him to get motivated, I now have something to bitch about.

MZ's epic movie list of 2009, you know Lou's going to tear you a new one for that HONORABLE MENTION as well.

Be prepared for a tongue lashing my good friend.
    Well I also expect to be praised in equal measure, because my list is awesome sauce.

And at least an attempt at seeing it from my perspective would be nice too...