Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: MZ's Top Ten Films of 2009 (plus six honourable mentions)...

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    I've always seen Jaws as a horror movie, and a smacking good one at that. It's a horror movie with a very large "adventure film" streak through it.

As far as PG13 horror goes. . well. . Poltergeist was PG13. . . the Grudge was as well. . . I liked both of those movies and found them both pretty effectively scary. I didn't find DMTH very scary though, but it is a very very fun time.
    Poltergeist was PG, they didn't come out with Pg-13 until 184/85 the first movie to get it was the Coca Cola kid

---------- Post added at 10:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Umm, let me be the first to call bullshit on this. Dj, how can you say "ALL" PG-13 horror movies are "pish" (hah!) when you haven't seen them all? This one in particular is the exception to the rule.

I rest my case.

To (partially) quote "The Wolf": Now, pretty please, with sugar on top... go watch the fuckin' movie.

Also,

That's like saying the Amityville Horror isn't a horror movie because they could've just moved to another house. WTF dude?!

To paraphrase Eddie Murphy... Ghost and spooks start haunting your house... pack your shit and get out. You kid gets sucked into the TV, you change the channel if the shit doesn't work... LEAVE!

---------- Post added at 10:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    "The media angle"? What exactly are you meaning with that?

You should really find another hobby if you don't think Jaws is a horror movie.
    Spielberg fills the beach with the media after the attacks, at that time sensationalism wasn't as prominent as it is today, but he was playing up the media frenzy about the attack and of course sets it up for the media to be there when the little kids are in danger of being eaten.

Kind of sly and one of the reasons I respect spielberg, but otherwise... JAWS is not a horror film.

Thriller Suspense... YES! horror NO!
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    To paraphrase Eddie Murphy... Ghost and spooks start haunting your house... pack your shit and get out. You kid gets sucked into the TV, you change the channel if the shit doesn't work... LEAVE!
    So that means you don't consider Amityville Horror a horror flick?

Ok, that's it, someone spiked Dj's prescriptions with something wicked and didn't share with the rest of us. Now i'm pissed.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    So that means you don't consider Amityville Horror a horror flick?

Ok, that's it, someone spiked Dj's prescriptions with something wicked and didn't share with the rest of us. Now i'm pissed.
    And its all mine

Amityville is a Horror flick... Demons and ghosts haunting your house is a little scarier than a shark. I mean honestly if we know a shark is at the beach, we wouldn't go to the beach, but if a ghost or demon is taking over your house... that is some scary shit you can't really plan for or around.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    Not true, just like you could leave the beach if there's a shark there, if you house is being haunted by some wicked crazed poltergiest, then you can move to a house down the street.

By that logic, which is yours not mine, that makes Amityville Horror not a horror flick.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Amityville is a Horror flick... Demons and ghosts haunting your house is a little scarier than a shark. I mean honestly if we know a shark is at the beach, we wouldn't go to the beach, but if a ghost or demon is taking over your house... that is some scary shit you can't really plan for or around.
    i don't know about that DJ, at least in my case. i know, no matter how good a ghost or demon flick is, that ghosts (and demons, etc) are not real. their scare factor is limited by that knowledge. sharks, on the other hand, are very real and i'd rather french kiss a cobra than tangle with one.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    i don't know about that DJ, at least in my case. i know, no matter how good a ghost or demon flick is, that ghosts (and demons, etc) are not real. their scare factor is limited by that knowledge. sharks, on the other hand, are very real and i'd rather french kiss a cobra than tangle with one.
    But again mike... If you know one is at the beach, you leave the beach and go to another one or don't go at all, stay you ass home and install a swimming pool.

Now, had Jaws been about the story of the Indianapolis.... OH MAN!, that would have been a kick ass horror flick.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Now, had Jaws been about the story of the Indianapolis.... OH MAN!, that would have been a kick ass horror flick.
    tell me about it. i watched a documentary about that on the history channel a few months ago and it creeped me the fook out.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The only thing horror about JAWS was that speech in the movie. The way he told the story and how it went down was more intense and frightening than watching Bruce tear his way through the beach people
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    But again mike... If you know one is at the beach, you leave the beach and go to another one or don't go at all, stay you ass home and install a swimming pool.
    Sure, any of the side characters could have left Amity Island. But Brody is the Sherriff, Hooper is a professional on sharks, and Quint hunts them down for a living. They intentionally went out to get the shark so that they could make Amity Island safe again....

Telling them to leave the island is like telling batman to leave gotham when the joker is about to blow it up. They stay and go after the shark because they have the responsibility.

And saying they should leave could be applied to every horror film. Leave Camp Crystal Lake. Leave the TCSM house. Leave the Poltergeist house. Leave the theater.

Technically you COULD leave all these places, but you still have to pass the "bad guy". In the case of Jaws, you could leave but you still have to leave the island and pass by the shark. And then maybe the shark follows you. Or then it goes to another mainland beach.

It has to be dealt with....Brody, Hooper, and Quint were the ones to deal with it.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Telling them to leave the island is like telling batman to leave gotham when the joker is about to blow it up. They stay and go after the shark because they have the responsibility.

And saying they should leave could be applied to every horror film. Leave Camp Crystal Lake. Leave the TCSM house. Leave the Poltergeist house. Leave the theater.
    That's exactly what I was trying to get across (just failing miserably since this old gray mare's brain ain't what it used to be).

Bassman FTW!

LC

PS - "Leave the theater." Now that was funny.