Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best zombie makeup and effects

United States

Best zombie makeup and effects

Just wondering what everyone thinks is the best makeup and effects in a zombie movie. Don't worry about story or acting. Strictly Makeup effects.

I think everyone knows what my answer is

United Kingdom
    I'd have to go with Day Of The Dead. The zombies just look so terrifying, and at the same time there is this childishness about Bub.
    Honourable mentions go to Night '90, Zombie Flesh Eaters, and Cemetary Man. I love the way they look in Cemetary man, they look just like dead bodies that have climbed out of the grave...kinda the point, like, but they still look cool.
    Kill 'em All

United States
    Yup Day for me too. . . .And Night '90 had a great look as well. Land's zombies tweren't bad either. I actually like the look of the Zombies in Return of the Living dead too. The whole EC comic nod was great
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Day, I reckon, with same honourable mentions given elsewhere. Zombie Flesh Eaters would have clinched it were it not for the "cracks" in the illusion, e.g.: healthy masculine torsos visible on corpses that have spent 400-years in worm-infested mud.

Dying

Undisclosed
    I'm not that crazy about Day's zombies because they look like cro-magnon men.
    I guess I'd go with the original Night because they look more like zombies should, like us. Having everyday people playing the parts helps too.

Super Moderator

United States
    Day, for me, as well.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Dawn. Couldn't say that with a straight face...

As far as how the zombies look? Probably Night 90. Those looked the most realistic , imo.

As for the gore effects? Definitely Day. Hands down. Nobody has done it better and I doubt anyone will.

United States
    The zombies in Day seemed to be the most scary looking and threatning overall. An honorable mention should go to Night '90 for the next best looking and acting zombies (they were "fresh" zombies, so didn't look as scary as the "rotted" ones in Day).

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The thing that really throws me off about the look of the dead in Day are the eyebrows. Why in the hell do most of them have the huge caveman unibrow? Looks silly.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    The thing that really throws me off about the look of the dead in Day are the eyebrows. Why in the hell do most of them have the huge caveman unibrow? Looks silly.
    I assumed it had to do with a desire to bring a 'sunken' look to the facial features.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Day of the dead.

Just look at a movie made 20 years later: Land of the dead.

It's amazing how day's effects are superior to a film made 20 years later.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    #9's hole in the cheek was pretty damn impressive. Other than that though..... Day still holds the crown.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    #9's hole in the cheek was pretty damn impressive. Other than that though..... Day still holds the crown.
    Yeah, I could never figure out how they did that without CGI. Usually prosthetics add material, but in that movie part of her cheek is actually missing. It's seamless, those are her real teeth underneath by the looks of things.

The only thing I can imagine is that there is some kind of hook holding her lip back with prosthetics around it to create a ragged look. But then you'd expect the rest of her face to stretched out of position, which it's not. It's weird, man.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    You know how she got that hole right?

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I've always thought it was similar to "judge" in The Frighteners. Fake cheek and jaw, black material on the real cheek to make it look like the inside of the mouth.

Although it's probably something holding back a large portion of her mouth. Seems like I remember Nicotero talking about them using that look around that time. Sucking the lips back to show the teeth and such.