Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top 25 Game Consoles of All Time

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Top 25 Game Consoles of All Time

Pretty interesting list. I actually forgot about a couple of them. Were any left off that you felt shouldn't have been?

The top slot was very predictable, And yes the ps3 comes AFTER intellevision !?!

http://www.ign.com/top-25-consoles/

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

United States
    It's amazing to me that there have been enough consoles released that being on the latter half of this list can even seem anywhere near noteworthy.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    the NES is number 1? pfft, yeah right, it had its greats but theres more shit on that system than the ps2 and wii combined. total nostalgia vision.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It's also interesting how they are judging them.

The 360 for example is obviously a better console than any that were rated higher than it but apparently they are going on nostalgia and the overall impact that the system had which is not really fair because we don't know what the impact of the current gen consoles will ultimately be.

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    the NES is number 1? pfft, yeah right, it had its greats but theres more shit on that system than the ps2 and wii combined. total nostalgia vision.
    Jinx. Buy me a coke !!

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    It's also interesting how they are judging them.

The 360 for example is obviously a better console than any that were rated higher than it but apparently they are going on nostalgia and the overall impact that the system had which is not really fair because we don't know what the impact of the current gen consoles will ultimately be.

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

Jinx. Buy me a coke !!

i know right?, lets play silent hill 2, or mass effect. -OOP, wait, let me eject the disk and blow it because it doesnt fucking work the first dozen times. Its total nostalgia vision. i still have a nes set up right next to my other consoles, but do i want to play mario bros. or super mario galaxy? im going to go with the one with intuitive controls, beautiful graphics and an orchestral soundtrack.

This is nostalgia, nothing more.

-also, i think the ps3 is superior to the 360 hardware wise and reliability speaking but you would NOT have online play as it is today on consoles without the xbox, its impact was massive.
    Last edited by Danny; 25-Feb-2010 at 04:42 PM.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I think you guys are being a bit harsh on the #1 decision. It's not so much about the quality of the games as it is about the impact the system had on the industry. And NES did have a HUGE impact.

NES really put gaming in everybody's home rather than just your average gamer's.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I think you guys are being a bit harsh on the #1 decision. It's not so much about the quality of the games as it is about the impact the system had on the industry. And NES did have a HUGE impact.

NES really put gaming in everybody's home rather than just your average gamer's.
    i call shenanigans, stuff like the atari did that long before. not saying the nes isnt great, but its not the best console of all time, simple as that.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I believe hells and I pointed out the impact that these other consoles had. However, let's not confuse impact with better.

Bob cousy had a huge impact on the NBA in the 50's and 60's as the point guard for the virtually invinceble Boston Celtics which is evidenced by his like 9 championship rings or something to that effect.

However, he would get abused by today's guards, just as the NES and atari would get abused by the current GEN.

Let's just say that they were great for the era that they were in but it's a different game now.

Impact yes, but to say they are better consoles is intellectually dishonest, imo.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Am I the only one that read the second paragraph on the first page of this list?

Each console on the list ahead was selected for its influence on the industry and the gaming culture as a whole, with special consideration for their benchmark titles, peripherals, monetary success, and total hardware sold. But beyond sales figures and critical reception, one of the biggest contributing factors in our ranking process was our lasting impressions of each console, and how it contributed to our love for gaming and inspired us to become involved in the industry.

Super Moderator

UK
    Sega Mega Drive at #5 ... noiiice.

Still got my Mega Drive 2 stored away in my cupboard.

United States
    Can't say I disagree with #1. For it's time it was mindblowing, and the way games controlled and played was a huge step up from what people were used to. If it weren't for the NES being the phoenix rising from the ashes of the videogame crash, who knows where this form of entertainment would be.

Mario is still the biggest name in gaming, all thanks to that little gray box.

Also, 8-bit music kicks all kind of ass.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn View Post
    For it's time it was mindblowing
    Exactly my point.

With that said i just purchased New Super Mario Bros. Yesterday.

Last edited by darth los; 25-Feb-2010 at 07:53 PM.

United States
    I disagree with most of the list. But #1 is deserving.

I take your non-fun, tech-whore "games" that are out for the current systems, and piss on them. That's right, piss on them. They suck. SUCK.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Side note: Blowing on NES cartridges did NOT do anything to help enable them to play. In fact, it did nothing at all except blow air and spit onto your cartridge.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    Side note: Blowing on NES cartridges did NOT do anything to help enable them to play. In fact, it did nothing at all except blow air and spit onto your cartridge.
    I'm pretty sure dust on the connections caused the game to fail. Hence blowing helped remove dust and cause it to work. I know it worked for me: I wrote off several games as "broken" when I was a kid, only to discover the blowing trick fixed them a few months later.

You're right though, that the official Nintendo line was "don't blow on em" because saliva was harmful to the metal connectors. But they sold cartridge cleaners, etc. so they also had an axe to grind.