Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got a "replacement" Xbox360 console today...

Super Moderator

UK

Question Got a "replacement" Xbox360 console today...

Doesn't have a HDMI port like the Arcade model does, says "12v 16.5A;5V 1A" on it (so it's not a Jasper, which is 12.1A or whatever), but says "Service Date - 2009-08-18".

So what the fuck have I got?

I'm assuming a Zephyr still, which is cheeky as fuck, as I read about here:

http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/sho...spx?i=3472&p=2

Sneaky Microsoft: Still Shipping Zephyrs

In my Jasper hunting I came across a strange beast, I found an Xbox 360 Pro with lot number 0843X. I figured it was new enough that it could be a Jasper, but looking at the 12V current rating I found that it was a 16.5A unit. I thought perhaps it was mislabeled and I'd heard about some newer systems having a 16.5A 12V rating, so I thought I'd buy it and take a closer look.

Once I got it home I confirmed: the machine was a Zephyr, that's the original Xbox 360 hardware with HDMI support, meaning a 90nm CPU, 90nm GPU and 90nm eDRAM - the very configuration most likely to Red Ring. I'm guessing it's a reworked Xbox 360 that never made it out of the factory in the first place due to an instant failure; something Microsoft fixed and sent out at a much later date.

Even if you don't care about getting a Jasper, it may be worth looking into what it is you are getting to make sure that you're not stuck with a box that's more likely to fail.
    Obviously it has to be one that'll work with my current power supply brick.

Also, a final question, my extended warranty runs out in May ... now, they say they've updated my info to include this console's serial number, but do I or don't I get another year after that being that this is - to me at least - a new console?

If this thing scratches my discs, or RRODs, or any such bullshit after my extended warranty is up, I'm gonna be pissed off.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Also, a final question, my extended warranty runs out in May ... now, they say they've updated my info to include this console's serial number, but do I or don't I get another year after that being that this is - to me at least - a new console?

If this thing scratches my discs, or RRODs, or any such bullshit after my extended warranty is up, I'm gonna be pissed off.
    I don't imagine you'll get another year's warranty. The warranty will cover you from date of purchase, and I don't think it resets every time you get a new one through that warranty, it's not like Pizza Hut and their unlimited drinks refills.

Pretty shitty that they palmed you off with a dodgey console just at the end of its warranty, though. I bet if it was near the start of the warranty they'd give you a later model so they didn't have to repair it again, but now you're not their responsibility soon, they don't care.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    actually I figured the opposite - that MZ would get a new warranty with his new hardware - simply because it's had official work done to it which would need guaranteeing of some kind, otherwise they could ship it back broken and say they've done the work or something? I dunno, I just figured that if they touch the xbox they have to certify that what they are sending you is working and protect you just in case it isn't....?
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Could you not just call and ask them?

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Could you not just call and ask them?
    Ahhh geeeeez, do I have to? There's like a million options to go through and then some really quiet foreign guy answers the phone...

The letter said:

Your registration information will be updated with the new console serial number. If you purchased a Microsoft Extended Service Contract this will also be updated to reflect the new console serial number.
    Which isn't much help really. Why should I have to go to the trouble of finding out information, which surely many more people than just I, have asked to know? Not enough information in letters these days.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 22-Mar-2010 at 01:40 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Ahhh geeeeez, do I have to? There's like a million options to go through and then some really quiet foreign guy answers the phone...

That is a very good point. Nobody wants to go through all of that....

Here's a quick link to the Xbox refurbished console warranty. I didn't read through it all, but maybe it can help.

http://support.xbox.com/support/en/u...furbished.aspx

Undisclosed
    That's shitty. They gave you a console from a few years back that is noisier and heats up more.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    That's shitty. They gave you a console from a few years back that is noisier and heats up more.
    Actually the console in general is no noisier than before, as my previous one (that just got replaced) was a Core Console "Zephyr" (I think that's the name of the chipset in the original ones), it dated back to some time in 2006.

The disc drive on the other hand - is better - it's quieter and it opens first time with no jamming.

Now, if memory serves, you get a 90 day guarantee/warranty after you've had your console repaired ... now I assume the same goes for a replacement too ... in which case I've essentially gotten a "free" month after my extended warranty conks out in late May.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Actually the console in general is no noisier than before, as my previous one (that just got replaced) was a Core Console "Zephyr" (I think that's the name of the chipset in the original ones), it dated back to some time in 2006.

The disc drive on the other hand - is better - it's quieter and it opens first time with no jamming.

Now, if memory serves, you get a 90 day guarantee/warranty after you've had your console repaired ... now I assume the same goes for a replacement too ... in which case I've essentially gotten a "free" month after my extended warranty conks out in late May.
    You probably get some sort of protection, they can't just ship you a broken one obviously, but I doubt it will be an additional year or anything like that. If it's still in warranty for a few months then it doesn't really matter, as it probably won't be any longer than that.

I wouldn't imagine so, anyway.

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeah I think it'll probably be 90 days, because if its 90 days after a repair, then it'll surely be 90 days after getting a replacement.

Anyway ... thinking of what game I want to get in the gap between now and RDR & Alan Wake ... ... I'm thinking either Assassin's Creed 2 or Batman: Arkham Asylum - any thoughts, good folks of HPOTD?

United States
    . I'm thinking either Assassin's Creed 2 or Batman: Arkham Asylum - any thoughts, good folks of HPOTD?
    Both are really really enjoyable games. You can't go wrong with either.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Both are really really enjoyable games. You can't go wrong with either.

I agree with lang.

However, if you put a gun to my head I'd go with arkham.

Mz seems to like the gta style games so perhaps assassin's creed is right up his alley.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Arkham Asylum is one of my all-time favorite games. I liked it that much. But I also don't play games every day...

Undisclosed
    Anyway ... thinking of what game I want to get in the gap between now and RDR & Alan Wake ... ... I'm thinking either Assassin's Creed 2 or Batman: Arkham Asylum - any thoughts, good folks of HPOTD?
    I have played and beaten both games. They play similar. I think the controls on Batman are a little better, but A.C. 2 seemed to have a longer game length. They are both great games to play and I advise getting or at least playing both before any sequels come out.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Arkham Asylum is one of my all-time favorite games. I liked it that much. But I also don't play games every day...
    Factoring in the following information...

1) That I've not played Assassin's Creed 1 (and can't be bothered to catch up)
    and
    2) I never really watched the Batman Animated Series, haven't read the comics, but rather dig the movies

Which would be the better choice? Both look like sexy choices, but which would provide me with punchier fun ... I don't want anything that would be too hard, or possibly annoying ... just want something that's good and fun to play before the hardcore gaming of RDR and Alan Wake comes up in May.