Thread: Pet Sematary remake

United States

Pet Sematary remake

okay, so the original film was on tv the other day, and having not seen it in a few years, i decided to sit back and watch it again....which got me wanting to read the book again, which is probably one of king's finest works. then again, most of his early stuff was brilliant.

then i was doing some random searching and saw a thread on here about a remake, but it was a few years old, so instead of dragging that one out of the dust, i just started a new one...anywho, they are apparently going ahead with the project and have now found a writer for the screenplay:

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/19359

not too sure how i feel about this. the original film was great, imo, and if i recall, was fairly faithful to the novel. however, i haven't began re-reading it yet, currently have about 3 other books to finish first. i do remember the "oz the gweat and tewwible" bit being left out, along with the omission of jud's wife, and the beast louis encounters on his trip to the burial ground...so maybe the remake will include that stuff, who knows. the acting in the original (aside from jud) wasn't all that great, but i don't really wanna see george clooney (rumored at one time to be starring) as dr. creed.

btw, anyone checked out the "collector's edition" dvd that came out a few years back? i've decided to add the original film to my library, but am unsure which dvd to get.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 14-Apr-2010 at 06:07 AM.

Super Moderator

UK
    No way in hell they could make it better, for starters they wouldn't have this dude in it:

You don't wanna go down that road...

Wicked cool South Park version of it a while back too:

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Another remake that's not a big deal to me. The original was okay at best, so this could possibly be an improvement. Although it'll most likely be the same old garbage...

Fred Gwynne made EVERYTHING better. My Cousin Vinny wouldn't be as funny without him. And The Munsters is one of my favorite shows.
    Last edited by bassman; 14-Apr-2010 at 11:50 AM.

England
    Ive literally just finished reading the book for the first time a few days ago! although I did see the film probably 10 years ago. If the remake is done well then it could be decent as the original film adaptation wasnt all that great in my opinion, some of it down to bad acting in places, and some of it down to the special effects of the time not being as good as they needed for the film.
    The story itself is cracking though, I really enjoyed it & although im not a fan of remakes, I will give this the time of day. I quite liked the remake of "the shining" as well to be honest!

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    yet another f**king remake.
    I'm so sick of the movie industry.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Fred Gwynne made EVERYTHING better.
    Cheers to that! After seeing him in Pet Semetary I always imagined him trying to sell those Pepperidge Farm cookies with that creepy accent he used and it'd give me the chills.

Northern New England hinterland accents are creepy

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    I don't know how to feel about this. I watched the original when i was young and loved it. I'm getting pretty sick of all these remakes. But, that being said, I will most likely still watch it.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeloo View Post
    I watched the original when i was young and loved it.
    Yeah, I thought the original was pretty creepy when I was a kid. That said, I don't think I've sat through a complete viewing of the movie in ages. So maybe I should give it another look soon.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany