Thread: New Castlevania coming to XBOX Live Arcade in a couple of weeks

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

New Castlevania coming to XBOX Live Arcade in a couple of weeks

It's essentially like all the other Castlevania side-scrollers, which is great. You can play as characters from previous recent Castlevania games, too - pretty cool. The best part, though? ONLINE CO-OP. Awesome.

Here's the trailer

Here's some footage of a demo at E3 that just happened...

United States
    dunno, man. looks pretty "meh" to me. not sure what the lack of appeal about it is, probably something to do with bland graphics and the aspect of online co-op. if they have a demo, i may check it out, but this looks like a pass for me.

having said that, i downloaded SotN and got all the achievements for that, still one of my favorite games from the PSX. i got the PSX game at christmas one year and it was thrilling, because i don't think i even knew it was out and my awesome parents, knowing how much i loved castelvania's 1-3 on the NES, surprised me with it as a gift. even though i don't even have a PSX or PS2 anymore, i still have that game (along with spider-man, THPS2, and RE2).

now, if they re-released the first 3 castlevania games on XBL and put them all in a bundle, i'd be willing to pay up to 20 bones for the trio....in a hearbeat. (you reading this, cooperwasright? you work for MS, right? make it happen and i'll be your buddy 4-EVA)

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    I love me some castlevania but this is not sounding good. co-op in my castelvania? it shouldnt be as common as you think.
    Last edited by Danny; 16-Jul-2010 at 06:11 PM.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    What's wrong with the co-op feature??? I think it'll be fun.

United States
    well, i was against the idea of this at first, but after hearing about the DLC of the original NES level, i decided to break down and spend some MS points. as for the main game, it's not all that fun on SP, but with a group, it's pretty neat.

United States
    Just dumped 1200 points in to DLC for this (most of which should've been included anyway), send me a message on LIVE if you're up for a few runthroughs.

Super Moderator

United States
    I dunno, I'm still pretty happy leaving my Castlevania experiences buried in the 80s, but if you guys are saying it's pretty good and has multiplayer I may have to give it a shot when it's on sale at some point. Levelers aren't anything I'm altogether into these days, I guess.

I totally forgot this cover even existed and how badass it looked to me back then:

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    you should check out lords of shadow, doug, it's actually much better than i expected. the demo was up on XBL a while back, should still be there.

and yeah, CR, we've never played anything online together, next time we're both online i may look you up. i don't think i've got a single achievement in C:HD yet, and i'm an achievement junkie, so we'll have to team up and slay some evil baddies soon.

Undisclosed
    I beat Lords of Shadow the other day. There is a cut scene after the ending credits. I mentioned it with spoilers under current games playing.

United States
    finally beat lords of shadow, and since we didn't start an official thread for that game and it's been mentioned on this thread, thought i'd post a quick final-ish review now that i've beat the storyline.

pros:
    *amazing, breath-taking graphics and awesome sound
    *fun platforming and puzzle-solving elements mixed with intense combat
    *solid story with plenty of environments
    *epic boss battles (that flying dracolich in chapter 11? holy fuck what a ride. and the final fight was incredible, too)
    *gabriel belmont is a machine. dude must've done like a thousand pull-ups and squats every day of his life before he set out to bust satan's ass.

cons:
    *camera can be a real pain at times
    *patrick stewart's voice and his dramatic narration began to get on my nerves by the end of the game
    *i lost a bit of interest after the big vampire castle and the game kinda drug on for a few chapters, but the final couple of boss fights and ending made up for it.
    *i realize this is a video game, but some of the action sequences were waaaay too over-the-top

as a castlevania purist, i was put off by this game at first, but it turned out to be much better than i expected. i kinda wish they'd stuck a bit more to the feel of the original games, but i realize they are trying to reboot the series here. still a great game though, and the pros far outweigh the cons.

i have heard rumors of a second game, which i'm unsure of...if they went and did a faithful remake of simon belmont's adventures from the first 2 NES games or super castlevania 4 for the SNES using this engine and gameplay, it'd probably be fucking amazing and i'd likely buy that shit in a heartbeat. the way this story ends, it's possible, but given what was shown in the after-credits cut-scene who knows what they've got in store.

still no word on the DLC packs for LoS as far as release dates go. the first was set to come out in feb, but was pushed back till this month, but march is almost over...guess we'll see. still got loads of achievements to do, but they may have to wait as i'm very eager to begin playing new vegas soon.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 20-Mar-2011 at 10:59 AM. Reason: .