Thread: Day of the Triffids film...

Administrator

England

Day of the Triffids film...

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Day-O...cer-20810.html

I don't hold any hopes up for the film. I predict:-
    - 2hrs long, which isn't really long enough to get into the nitty gritty. It'll needs to be 3hrs!
    - It'll be all snazzy effects rather than intelligent.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Interesting! I've wanted to read that book for a long time, but never was able to find it in the library.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Administrator

England
    I recently listened the original audio book, and the BBC play adaptation... Simply to try and wash away the recent (2009) diabolical BBC TV production out of my mind. Not good!

If you've never seen the 1980s BBC production, you must watch that! Very good!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    This story ripped off The Walking Dead and 28 Days Later!
    Last edited by bassman; 24-Sep-2010 at 12:34 PM.

Administrator

England
    Huh??
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    What the @#$% is a Triffid?
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Huh??
    It's a joke that involves slight spoiler information (well, really slight if you watch the previews for TWD).

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

England
    The 1981 "6 part mini series" with John Duttine is the definitive version for me. UK denizens can (and should) pick it up from Amazon...at under £4 it is a bargain.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    This story ripped off The Walking Dead and 28 Days Later!
    LOL...I see what you did there!
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Administrator

England
    Some more info - http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Harry...ake-41308.html

Neil Cross (creator of BBC One's LUTHER and writer on the Guillermo Del Toro-produced MAMA) is scripting.
    Mike Newell (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire) is to direct.

Please no silly ninja Triffids like the wasted 2009 BBC effort!
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    The 1981 "6 part mini series" with John Duttine is the definitive version for me. UK denizens can (and should) pick it up from Amazon...at under £4 it is a bargain.
    I picked that one up a few years back at a Monstercon ( venders convention ) and never regretted it ( the same con I got Romero's autopgraph). In fact this thread inspired me to go back and watch it again last night. Still holds up, still shows that you can do global disaster well on an 80's BBC budget. Then I watched clips from the 09 version, what a load of crud is that one? It makes World War Z look like Lawrence of Arabia.
    Hee.