Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Orvar Säfström says not to get hopes up

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Orvar Säfström says not to get hopes up

I keep in touch with Orvar Säfström, who is Sweden's equivalent of Roger Ebert (also singer/guitarist of legendary death metal band Nirvana2002!). We were recently discussing The Walking Dead comic book and I obviously had to express my excitement for it. Being who he is, he's been able to see some of the series and told me it was kind of "lame" and not to get my hopes up.

This hasn't muzzled any of my excitement whatsoever, however it's got me a little worried.

Have any other critics released anything publicly yet?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    I
    Have any other critics released anything publicly yet?
    They may have already seen it, but I don't think they can release the reviews yet. Shame he didn't like it. But hey....The Thing and Day were both panned when first released. So what does that tell you?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    True. I'm getting the feeling that perhaps it wasn't the right setting. He was probably amongst a group of people, possibly in a well-lit room, possibly with some commotion going on.

After I posted this he made me feel better by telling me he hasn't given up all hope. So maybe it was a work-in-progress that he saw? Like dailies or something.

United States
    Well, no offense to your buddy Umlaut, but like Survival, let's make our own decisions when we ssee it, based on it's own merits.

Heresy, I know...
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyRay View Post
    Well, no offense to your buddy Umlaut
    Classic.

Super Moderator

United States
    I'm not so worried about whether I'll like it or not (though that's obviously a possibility depending on whether the finished version matches my tastes), but I often wonder if the episodic stories and character development will be handled in a well paced & balanced manner. A lot of zombie fans started out loving the book, only to chafe under Kirkman's relentless devotion to developing his characters (not me); to some the book was too 'talky'.

So, even though the genre is a match for interests for this umlaut gentleman and the quality in many respects may be high, something about the series might just not meet his tastes.

We'll see all too soon!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

England
    I suppose it all boils down to what you want from a zombie series. For the Walking Dead, I want to see a drama with zombies as the threat in an apocalyptic world. I'm particularly interested in seeing the relationship between Rick and Shane because what I've seen so far in the released video points to some very good direction/acting.
    Lee's review has me worried a bit though. It seems kind of "censored" if that makes any sense.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

England
    I'm hoping its going to be good, but also im hoping it doesnt lose my interest after the first season or two like so many other shows have in the past (Lost, the X-files, supernatural, millenium, flashforward, heroes etc), all these shows started out well & then lost their way to the point where I no longer care what happens & I just stop watching!
    Also I hope that it isnt going to follow the same pattern all US shows seem to do, where they keep rolling the credits for the first ten minutes of each episode, its a pet hate of mine when I'm trying to watch the show & names keep popping up on screen

Banned
    Banned User

Isle of Man
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    I suppose it all boils down to what you want from a zombie series. For the Walking Dead, I want to see a drama with zombies as the threat in an apocalyptic world.
    Ditto for me.

I want a series that is going to use zombies not as a sort of constant gun battle thing but as something that forces the survivors to make hard choices.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    I'm hoping its going to be good, but also im hoping it doesnt lose my interest after the first season or two like so many other shows have in the past (Lost, the X-files, supernatural, millenium, flashforward, heroes etc), all these shows started out well & then lost their way to the point where I no longer care what happens & I just stop watching!
    Also I hope that it isnt going to follow the same pattern all US shows seem to do, where they keep rolling the credits for the first ten minutes of each episode, its a pet hate of mine when I'm trying to watch the show & names keep popping up on screen
    I don't know if you've read The Walking Dead Tricky, but the difference between the shows that you mention and this one, is that the Walking Dead has already been running for 7 years going from strength to strength. The storyline is solid. The material has already proven itself. Shows like Lost run out of ideas or the writers try to extend the story beyond it's lifespan and viewers lose interest because the "filler" episodes slow the main arc of the story down. I'd be quite happy to see episodes of Rhe Walking Dead where there are NO zombies in it. It's not about them. Just like the comic book.

MY HOME CINEMA

England
    No I havent read it to be honest, I kind of considered myself a bit too old for comics, even serious grown up ones like this, but based on what everybodys been talking about on here, I may have to take a look!

Super Moderator

UK
    The X-Files was awesome seasons 1 through 6 ... season 7 tailed off a bit, and then 8 and 9 weren't up to the standard (but still had plenty of good, if not great, episodes).

I just finished reading Vol. 4 of TWD (awesome), so I'm just hoping that it's as interesting as the trade paperbacks I've thus far read from the series. All the preview footage and trailers and behind the scenes stuff has ticked the boxes for me. I'm not going in wanting specific things, I just want it to be good and lovingly crafted - I'm gradually making my way through the trades (1 through 4 now done), so as long as it's that standard then fine by me.

Also - Tricky - your 'nam dog flashback' gif is fucked. It shows the dog by the cakes, then it glitches and shows two brief clips of a close up of the dog's face and some grey, and just repeats like that over and over ... it's properly knackered all of a sudden.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

I just finished reading Vol. 4 of TWD (awesome), so I'm just hoping that it's as interesting as the trade paperbacks I've thus far read from the series.
    Having trouble exactly where the volumes divide up as far as story arcs go, but glad you're still liking what you're reading, MZ.

Also - Tricky - your 'nam dog flashback' gif is fucked. It shows the dog by the cakes, then it glitches and shows two brief clips of a close up of the dog's face and some grey, and just repeats like that over and over ... it's properly knackered all of a sudden.
    It's seems like it's running normally for me, at this point anyway. Maybe you're hyper-aware AI computer is censoring the the 'Nam violence on you, MZ.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

England
    Im right upto date with the monthly issues. Read #77 last week and its still going strong.

Tricky. Watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhhQRkvcJQ4

Its a motion comic version of the 1st issue that AMC commisioned as an intro to the series. It will give you a good feel for the comic and, hopefully, show.
    Enjoy.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Having trouble exactly where the volumes divide up as far as story arcs go, but glad you're still liking what you're reading, MZ.

It's seems like it's running normally for me, at this point anyway. Maybe you're hyper-aware AI computer is censoring the the 'Nam violence on you, MZ.
    1) Each "trader paperback" is a six issue story arc. So now that I've done Volume 4, that translates into the first 24 issues of the comic. And yes, I'm rather enjoying it, and I'm glad that the dialogue is improving in general too - sometimes, particularly early on, some of the dialogue was annoyingly full of exposition and explanation to other characters, so that it didn't feel at all realistic for the scene.

However in other scenes, and increasingly in general, the dialogue is really improving and becoming much more real-feeling and less about blunt exposition and instruction. Volumes 3 and 4 (issues 13 through 24) have been great and really dramatic and they're real page turners too. Shit's getting real in the story now too. It's getting deep.

2) lol, my computer's gone all Skynet on me ... except that that gif in Tricky's sig is now working for me again. Weird.

3) Ooh, motion comic?! Cool. I'd like to refresh my memory of Volume 1 (issues 1-6) again.