Thread: Just treated myself to an android tablet

England

Just treated myself to an android tablet

Cracking bit of gear.

CPU : A10 1.2 GHz
    Graphics Processor : Mali 400 MHz
    Touchscreen : 7" 5 point multi touch capacitive resolution 800 x 480
    Operating System : Android 2.3 GINGERBREAD
    Memory : 512mb DDR II / 8gb NAND Flash - upgradeable by Micro SD memory card (max 16GB)
    WiFi : 802.11 b/g/n
    Connectivity : 1 x Micro SD slot, 1 x AC Jack, 1 x 3.5mm Earphone Jack, 1 x Mini USB, 1 x HDMI out

100 quid from Amazon marketplace.

Bargain
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    Nice!

I have an Android tablet myself - well, sort of. I picked up a Kindle Fire for my wife for xmas and loved it so much I bought one for myself! The problem is, the "skin"/interface for the Fire is Amazon's own little thing (and centered around books since that's really what the Kindle is for), but with the help of an app called "GO Launcher EX" it's now a full-on Android tablet with none of the Amazon stuff getting in the way.

I was never interested in tablets until I got one in my hand - then it was game on!

Pick up any good apps for it yet? I have a few that I really like and put on my Droid Incredible 2 phone as well as my tablet:

Astro - a great file manager, is similar to windows explorer

1TapCleaner - great for clearing out your histories and caches

Where's My Droid? - great app for whenever you "lose" your phone around the house. Text a pre-determined phrase to your phone and it cranks the volume and starts ringing 'till you find it. I'm absent minded, and this happens at least once every other week.

WiFi Analyzer - good for finding wifi hotspots around and what their signal strength is.

Soundhound - ever been in a store, bar, or somewhere of the like and hear a song playing and you just have to know what it is? Fire this app up, let it listen for a few seconds and it'll identify most any song out there.

...and of course, some of my favorite games:

Plants Vs. Zombies - self explanatory..

Grand Theft Auto III - yes, this is available for Android phones and tablets! Just like I remembered it! Killing people and picking up hookers. What more do you want?!

Solitaire MegaPack - can't help it, I'm a solitaire nut.

UNO - if you like the card game, you'll love this version.

SlotMachine+ - 'cause I like to gamble when i'm not losing my own hard-earned money.

There's lots more, but that'll get ya started if you haven't already. As you can tell, I'm an android addict.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 13-Jan-2012 at 06:50 PM. Reason: ..

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Nice. I was just recently given an Iphone, so i'm slowly catching up with the technology of the times. Not sure how I feel about it yet, though. I was really fond of my plain old cell phone....
    Last edited by bassman; 13-Jan-2012 at 07:35 PM. Reason: .

England
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Nice!

I have an Android tablet myself - well, sort of. I picked up a Kindle Fire for my wife for xmas and loved it so much I bought one for myself! The problem is, the "skin"/interface for the Fire is Amazon's own little thing (and centered around books since that's really what the Kindle is for), but with the help of an app called "GO Launcher EX" it's now a full-on Android tablet with none of the Amazon stuff getting in the way.

I was never interested in tablets until I got one in my hand - then it was game on!

Pick up any good apps for it yet? I have a few that I really like and put on my Droid Incredible 2 phone as well as my tablet:

Astro - a great file manager, is similar to windows explorer

1TapCleaner - great for clearing out your histories and caches

Where's My Droid? - great app for whenever you "lose" your phone around the house. Text a pre-determined phrase to your phone and it cranks the volume and starts ringing 'till you find it. I'm absent minded, and this happens at least once every other week.

WiFi Analyzer - good for finding wifi hotspots around and what their signal strength is.

Soundhound - ever been in a store, bar, or somewhere of the like and hear a song playing and you just have to know what it is? Fire this app up, let it listen for a few seconds and it'll identify most any song out there.

...and of course, some of my favorite games:

Plants Vs. Zombies - self explanatory..

Grand Theft Auto III - yes, this is available for Android phones and tablets! Just like I remembered it! Killing people and picking up hookers. What more do you want?!

Solitaire MegaPack - can't help it, I'm a solitaire nut.

UNO - if you like the card game, you'll love this version.

SlotMachine+ - 'cause I like to gamble when i'm not losing my own hard-earned money.

There's lots more, but that'll get ya started if you haven't already. As you can tell, I'm an android addict.
    Thanks for that Lou

I've got Android phones for my personal use and work and have always loved the UI so a tablet was always on the cards. There are loads and loads of Chinese tablets coming into the market now and this is one of them. Was originally looking at the Kindle Fire but didn't have the patience to wait for it to be released in the UK. We always get ripped off over here anyway when the technology makes it way to market so im not bothered getting a cheaper version of the same technology.
    I've read that someone has got ICS running on the Kindle Fire so im waiting till a rom becomes available for my tablet before looking at rooting it

-- -------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

Nice little keyboard/case combo turning it into a very portable netbook/entertainment centre

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    -- -------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

[/COLOR]Nice little keyboard/case combo turning it into a very portable netbook/entertainment centre

[/QUOTE]

May I ask where you got that cover???? Looks really great
    Last edited by GRMonLI; 16-Jan-2012 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Typo
    "No Day But Today"-RENT

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    [/COLOR]Nice little keyboard/case combo turning it into a very portable netbook/entertainment centre

I.e. A laptop.

Super Moderator

United States

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I.e. A laptop.
    Thightopİ!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Was originally looking at the Kindle Fire but didn't have the patience to wait for it to be released in the UK. We always get ripped off over here anyway when the technology makes it way to market so im not bothered getting a cheaper version of the same technology.
    I've read that someone has got ICS running on the Kindle Fire so im waiting till a rom becomes available for my tablet before looking at rooting it

The Kindle Fire hasn't been released in the UK yet? Or has it, but it was just late compared to the US market? Either way, that sucks. The Fire is a nice dual-core little tablet - and can be a full-on android tablet with a little futzing.

Nice little keyboard/case combo turning it into a very portable netbook/entertainment centre

[/quote]

Ok, that keyboard/case is kick-ass! The one thing I've NEVER liked about any phone/tablet is my inability to type on a "virtual" keyboard. There's nothing worse than me typing 3 paragraphs, just to look back and see hundreds of spelling errors. I'm usually a pretty accurate typist, but only on a "real" keyboard with tactile feedback. The haptic feedback of a phone/tablet (the 'vibration' each key press) just isn't enough for me. Something like you have would be ideal for me.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by GRMonLI View Post

May I ask where you got that cover???? Looks really great[/QUOTE]

Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/..._ya_os_product

Some people have had compatibility problems with it though. It has a full size USB connector on the keyboard but a mini USB on most tablets. My tablet came with the correct adapter so it worked straight out of the box.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/..._ya_os_product

Some people have had compatibility problems with it though. It has a full size USB connector on the keyboard but a mini USB on most tablets. My tablet came with the correct adapter so it worked straight out of the box.
    Awesome. I already have a case for my Fire, but when I need another one this is the one I'm going to look further into. Thanks!
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 17-Jan-2012 at 05:18 PM. Reason: ..

England
    Recently upgraded to this beauty

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MOMO11-SPEED...f=cm_cd_f_pb_t

Superb kit. The specs say it all really. Its basically the Android version of the iPad 2. Build quality is fantastic. Same screen as the IPad 2 but the tablet is lighter than the IPad. No need for an external keyboard.
    All for £155.

MY HOME CINEMA

Administrator

England
    You can get a Google Nexus 7" for about £180?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    You can get a Google Nexus 7" for about £180?
    Yeah I know. I still have my 7" tablet for portability. This ones a 9.7" tablet for "about the house".

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

United States
    I never thought I'd convert so soon, but just a few months after getting one, I can definitely cop to lovin' my tablet.

Enjoy KG. It looks pretty sweet

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Speaking of Android tablets, I just picked up a Nexus 7 16gb, and damn is this thing sweet. I like my Fire (after futzing with it to remove Amazon's android "wrapper"), but the Nexus 7 is a damn nice upgrade.