Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XBox 720 to be a monster?

Administrator

England

XBox 720 to be a monster?

A 16 core IBM CPU and a GPU comparable to an AMD’s Radeon HD 7000-series graphics card?

http://sillegamer.com/2012/04/06/xbo...ore-processor/
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    I hope they wait about 4 years before they unleash it...I'm not ready for a new console or reading in the news about how many people were killed while waiting in line at the mall for the damned thing not to mention all the hardware problems. Lets see, first xbox was the hard drive then the laser....360 was pretty much solder problems....the next one a shitty controller issue or more radial disc scratches....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    I hope they wait about 4 years before they unleash it...I'm not ready for a new console or reading in the news about how many people were killed while waiting in line at the mall for the damned thing not to mention all the hardware problems. Lets see, first xbox was the hard drive then the laser....360 was pretty much solder problems....the next one a shitty controller issue or more radial disc scratches....
    Aimed for next year isn't it?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    There's a lot of rumours going around - some have said that these specs would make a new 360 way too expensive, so we'll have to see. A lot of talk from MS that they won't be talking about it at all at E3, but who knows. Apparently Dev kits have already gone out to developers, so surely it'd be launching next year? Heard a rumour that the PS4 or whatever it's called will be launching before MS though ... well, as long as the 720 (or whatever it'll be called) is a good system and is built solidly, then I'll wait for it.

Didn't like the rumours of Kinect being included regardless of whether you want it or not, always-on internet connection, no disc drive (although I also read it will take Blu-Ray elsewhere), and anti-used-game tech ... hopefully that's all horse crap.

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    (although I also read it will take Blu-Ray elsewhere)
    Time to get the Vaseline out...

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Carcass View Post
    Time to get the Vaseline out...

haha! I see what you saw now...

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    mmm, how many times have we seen the 'specs' for the orbis, durango and wii u now? you'd think there are 30 consoles due out in the next 2 years.

Wait till they are officially announced. till then all of these are as good as 'my dad works at nintendo and told me how to unlock sonic in mario!'

Chasing Prey

Canada
    they keep whining about not breaking even sellin the new consoles....then they keep making them bigger and more over priced and wonder what went wrong.....never mind the fact they're gonna get rid of you being able to play used games.....wtf man.

as if getting rid of backwards compatability wasnt enough and then they give us no way to download those same games

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    as if getting rid of backwards compatability wasnt enough and then they give us no way to download those same games
    fucking A, but its similar to what they say about the pharmaceutical companies and 'theres no money in the cure'. theres no sale in backwards compatibility either. And personally i've bought games like resident evil 4, silent hill 2/3 fable, parasite eve and a ton of otehrs for like 3-15 pounds on consoles because i want to play those classic games, but even then with paying for it they dont get them all emulated right anyway.

the dream situation would be something like comics are doing. you buy it, and take a picture of a code in the book under a sticker and then forever have a digital copy to download as many times as you want on machines with the account for them. Imagine if you could scan your ps2 game barcodes with the playstation eye or xbox ones with kinet and they are unlocked from a digital on demand archive?
    hell that would make a xbl sub worth it alone, a netflix of all your past games.

England
    Pfffft it will likely be a ridiculous price for at least 4 years from release, every game will be overpriced and it will create a whole new generation of spoilt brat fanboys plauging. I'll be spending the money on upgunning my PC when the time comes and getting a much more satisfactory experience from it

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    fucking A, but its similar to what they say about the pharmaceutical companies and 'theres no money in the cure'. theres no sale in backwards compatibility either. And personally i've bought games like resident evil 4, silent hill 2/3 fable, parasite eve and a ton of otehrs for like 3-15 pounds on consoles because i want to play those classic games, but even then with paying for it they dont get them all emulated right anyway.

the dream situation would be something like comics are doing. you buy it, and take a picture of a code in the book under a sticker and then forever have a digital copy to download as many times as you want on machines with the account for them. Imagine if you could scan your ps2 game barcodes with the playstation eye or xbox ones with kinet and they are unlocked from a digital on demand archive?
    hell that would make a xbl sub worth it alone, a netflix of all your past games.

absolutely, a friend of mine did this with his 360 then traded in all of his xbox games

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Pfffft it will likely be a ridiculous price for at least 4 years from release, every game will be overpriced and it will create a whole new generation of spoilt brat fanboys plauging. I'll be spending the money on upgunning my PC when the time comes and getting a much more satisfactory experience from it
    Agreed, but we're a dying breed...

The ondemand lifestyle is taking over...have you seen Windows8? It's like a tablet based OS...! Your desktop experience can be cloud stored so you can "go anywhere" with the same experience...ondemand PC experience just around the corner. Then there's "onlive" service...pah.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

England
    No I've not seen Windows 8 yet, I only got on windows 7 late last year! I dont like the sound of it though, I know things are constantly evolving but its like everything is going to end up being contained in one "Moron box" that everyone will just have sat in their living room that will be connected to everything on subscription, a lot of people probably love that idea but I dont

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I've heard that MS has said their next console won't be until [at least] 2014... however, pretty much everything is all hearsay at this point.

Either way, with that kind of power I'm guessing the price tag will be over $500, so I wouldn't be getting it for quite some time after it's release.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    A sixteen-core processor sounds like misinformation to me. If, like in the two previous generations, the system is based on modified PC architecture, then sixteen cores would be complete overkill. In modern day games on modern day systems, the vast majority of graphics processing is handled by the GPU, because (in my understanding) it's quicker to move data around on one card, rather than sending it to the motherboard, to send to the CPU, and back again. It won't matter how many cores you have in your processor if you've got a bottleneck like that slowing things down. The main draw on processor power is AI, along with minor stuff like queueing up frames, which isn't terribly taxing; a high-end quad- or even dual-core processor will do this just as well as a 16-core CPU. Of course, if it's a whole new architecture, unrelated to the PC, then the jury is out, but in that case there's no point in comparing it to the power of a sixteen-core PC, because you're not comparing like with like

Remember when the PS3 was advertised as having an 8 or 9x CPU, depending on who you asked, but it quickly turned out those extra cores were not full processor cores at all: there's a single-core PowerPC processor with several 'Synergistic Processing Elements' attached, which are basically the CPU's weaker henchmen designed to do it's dirty work. The result was very efficient, but in practice, only slightly faster, and actually weaker in some regards, than the 360's more traditional three core processor (which was, admittedly, probably considered slightly excessive in 2005).

It seems to me that, in the world of console marketing, cores are the new bits.