Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tupac hologram gig

England

Tupac hologram gig

Now I'm not a massive fan of hip hop, but dont mind a bit, however this is pretty amazing stuff the way they've created a hologram Tupac on stage! I've seen similar when I saw Jeff Waynes War of the Worlds live with the hologram Richard Burton, but it didnt look as good as this.

Makes you wonder if current artists will start to rely on that in years to come when their youth has faded, they'll still look their best on stage and nobody will know the difference, they just have to provide their voice.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Saw this earlier. Mind = blown. The future is here. The future is now. THE FUTURE IS THE PRESENT!!!!!!!

Chasing Prey

Canada
    i wouldnt be surprised if eminem had a hand in this since tupac says "coachella" and it wasnt around when he died......afterall, he (eminem) made biggie smalls say his name on a record before eminem even made it big. tupac is one of the greatest

Super Moderator

United States
    It's definitely trippy. Not sure how I feel about it, seems pretty exploitative.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    It's definitely trippy. Not sure how I feel about it, seems pretty exploitative.

yes because someone hasnt exploited dead famous people before. elvis is the top dead earning singer......so tupac isnt all that exploited because we rarely hear things from him
    Last edited by acealive1; 17-Apr-2012 at 02:27 AM. Reason: fgdfdfd

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i was frankly amazed how many people were going OMFG WE LIVE IN THE FUTURE. bands like the gorilaz have been doing this for years.

As for this one in particular, just another way to gouge some more money out of 'tupac' which at this point is no longer a person but a merchandising brand.

/shrug

Administrator

England
    Is that actually a hologram? Or just a projection onto glass or something? ie: A hologram is typically implying 3D in some way isn't it?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Is that actually a hologram? Or just a projection onto glass or something? ie: A hologram is typically implying 3D in some way isn't it?
    I'm not sure to be honest, when I went to see War of the Worlds, there was a clear screen with the Richard Burton hologram projected on to it, it looked 3D from the audience but obviously would have been flat to those on stage, but I dont know how they've done this Tupac one though, probably in the same way

Administrator

England
    I fear this is simply nothing more than a projection onto a screen, which is hardly very clever?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Twitching

Undisclosed
    That's what I was wondering. From the video it does look like there are changes in camera angle. See for example around 1:18-1:20. It seems hard to believe that the perspective change was shown to the audience on a screen as that would ruin the effect -- it would be obvious that they were just watching a video on a screen. If that cut does in fact show the hologram from two different cameras at two different angles, it seems pretty impressive.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    That's what I was wondering. From the video it does look like there are changes in camera angle. See for example around 1:18-1:20. It seems hard to believe that the perspective change was shown to the audience on a screen as that would ruin the effect -- it would be obvious that they were just watching a video on a screen. If that cut does in fact show the hologram from two different cameras at two different angles, it seems pretty impressive.
    You're right! At 1:15 it cuts between different camera shots, and the view of the 'hologram' appears to be different! Which then makes it pretty damn epic!
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Attack of the Show did a segment on this last night. Apparently it's a real 3D hologram. They visited the production offices that create these effects and they went into detail on how it creates a realistic 3D image from all angles. Something about projections on all sides.

Anyway....they say this is more than just a 2D image for the inevitable video(which we see). They say the live crowd saw the 3D image of Tupac in real time. If so, that's pretty amazing.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    yes because someone hasnt exploited dead famous people before. elvis is the top dead earning singer......so tupac isnt all that exploited because we rarely hear things from him
    That doesn't have much bearing on my opinion. I thought it was tasteless when they reanimated the dead through digital technology to sell soda and beer and thinks its pretty disingenuous and even more tasteless to raise up the spitting image of Tupac and make the brother dance for some shekels.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    I fear this is simply nothing more than a projection onto a screen, which is hardly very clever?
    if memory serves in laymans terms its projectors and heating fans not unlike dust in a shaft of light through almost closed curtains on a hot sunny day. only more complex of course. Think of it like a rainbow. there is no 'side' to it except the one you see because its not a 'thing' in the world. its light interacting base don minor influence so it looks the same no matter where you stand. A hologram is currently as much mirage as digital display right now.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    i was frankly amazed how many people were going OMFG WE LIVE IN THE FUTURE. bands like the gorilaz have been doing this for years.

As for this one in particular, just another way to gouge some more money out of 'tupac' which at this point is no longer a person but a merchandising brand.

/shrug

newsflash, the same people designed the tupac 3D

-- -------- Post added at 03:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    That doesn't have much bearing on my opinion. I thought it was tasteless when they reanimated the dead through digital technology to sell soda and beer and thinks its pretty disingenuous and even more tasteless to raise up the spitting image of Tupac and make the brother dance for some shekels.
    like i said, elvis has been dead almost 40 years and they're still putting his face on everything