Thread: Red Dwarf X (TV series)

Administrator

England

Red Dwarf X (TV series)

Even more important than the return of The Walking Dead, this October sees the return of Red Dwarf!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7opdzX_4kE
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Starts on Dave Oct 4th 9pm...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Starts on Dave Oct 4th 9pm...
    Yeah, keep your Walking Dead with its boring stuffed-shirt characters and ropey, overwrought dialogue; this is what I have been waiting for all year.

Sure, it's monumentally corny, but at least Red Dwarf knows its monumentally corny.

Super Moderator

UK
    Yay! I've been chomping at the bit for this for ages. I've got it all linked up on my Sky+ ready to go and me and my Dad shall be watching it eagerly. My Dad introduced me to Red Dwarf when I was a kid and we've been watching it ever since. It's a classic show, and brilliantly written.

While Back to Earth was a bit underwhelming in some respects (enough with the Blade Runner references, and the lack of a studio audience rendering the pacing all over the shop, rather than the tight flow of the traditional show), it was still great to have the show back. I was dearly hoping it would lead to a new series, and when I heard the news however many months ago now, I was overjoyed. I've been following various shreds of info about it ever since, and now it's two days away from airing!!!

Administrator

England
    Watched the first episode. Not as tight as the original series in its glory days. eg: Series 2, 3 etc. But certainly very watchable and didn't feel too out of place!

Looking forward to the rest of the series!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I had a good old laugh watching it. Felt more like the show we had in series 1-8, rather than Back To Earth which, while welcome and better than no Red Dwarf, lacked the pacing and onslaught of jokes and quirky sci-fi ideas to really make it great. The first episode of Red Dwarf X was a promising start ... a couple of iffy gags in the early minutes that didn't quite pan out, but there were plenty of solid laughs in there, plus the production design is fantastic. I still love the classic Dwarf (i.e. 1 through 6) the best, but this is easily on-par with 7 and 8. Bring on the rest of the series!

Gospel Oak/Chalk Farm (around that area), Camden, London
    UK
    A Swedish man crashes his car into a tree. What caused the accident?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Cykotic View Post
    "A car crash? Hey! Was he Swedish?"
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Cykotic View Post
    Was it 1973?

Super Moderator

UK

The introduction of that running joke was a little awkward at first, but the payoff was definitely worth it - one of the biggest laughs of the episode.

I've seen some clips from future episodes online that have made my burst out laughing too - so it's looking good for the rest of the series.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    "But you were an utter twat!"
    It was far better then I was expecting, it's like the cast put the characters in stasis since the sixth season and jumped right back into them.
    I would love to know more about the state of he universe since season eight shown the nanobots were reviving humans.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Rottedfreak View Post
    "But you were an utter twat!"
    It was far better then I was expecting, it's like the cast put the characters in stasis since the sixth season and jumped right back into them.
    I would love to know more about the state of he universe since season eight shown the nanobots were reviving humans.
    Aye. I'd like to know what happened after the events of series 8, but it was never explained ... I wonder why? Then again, this is Red Dwarf X, and Back to Earth is supposed to take place 'after series 9 and 10', and IIRC from BTE, Kochanski vanished in series 9 ... so it's as if they've skipped over series 9 entirely.

Hmmm ... many questions indeed.