Thread: There was a point where we say "no more dumb statues in game C.E's"...

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK

There was a point where we say "no more dumb statues in game C.E's"...

Dead Island riptide passed it:

Who. the fuck. Wants that?

Seriously. I've thought statues have gotten stupid in games collectors edition for a long time but this takes the cake. its literally gore and tits. What kind of sick fuck looks that and thinks "yeah, i need that gorgeous statuette in my life"?

Thats just beyond good taste in my opinion. Im not against gorey shit now and then, but this is just such a goddamn strange thing to offer as an incentive.

WHO WANTS THIS?!?

Zombie Flesh Eater

England
    I've never seen the point of it. If I want a fancy decoration for the shelf, I will pop down the appropriate shop and buy one there. But I do like certain knick-knacks, such as the Fallout lunchbox and Pip-Boy bobblehead. It went hand-in-hand with the in-game items. The statue here serves no purpose and is merely a colourful, gruesome trophy that has nothing to do with the game. Unless there are bikini-clad torsos scattered around the game environment. I wouldn't know because I haven't played Dead Island.

The George A. Romero Fan Assembly @ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/geor...rofanassembly/

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    What kind of sick fuck looks that and thinks "yeah, i need that gorgeous statuette in my life"?
    *slowly and sheepishly raises hand*

That is just too strange for words. I mean, I like gore, and I love me some tits, but damn.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 16-Jan-2013 at 12:56 AM.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Looks like something from Ed Gein's basement. Can't wait for the Special Edition of Dead Island 3 with a belt made out of replica human nipples.

Super Moderator

UK
    I dig gore, I love tits ... but together?

I saw news about this on MelonFarmers earlier and I just think to myself, who on earth at the dev and distribution team thought this was a good idea and didn't see controversy coming from a mile off? I'm fine with lashings of gore in games, and I'm fine with boobies in games too (if anything sex should play a bigger role in adult games, it seems daft that you can slaughter all-and-sundry, but we're only just at the point that you have occasional naked boobs - e.g. Far Cry 3's Citra in two scenes) ... anyway, lest I go off on a tangent, yes, this has dimwit written all over it - and what's more, it adds fuel to the fire for the sort of morons who blame videogames for all of society's ills.

Deep Silver's apology:

We deeply apologize for any offense caused by the Dead Island Riptide Zombie Bait Edition , the collector's edition announced for Europe and Australia. Like many gaming companies, Deep Silver has many offices in different countries, which is why sometimes different versions of Collector's Editions come into being for North America, Europe, Australia, and Asia.

For the limited run of the Zombie Bait Edition for Europe and Australia, a decision was made to include a gruesome statue of a zombie torso, which was cut up like many of our fans had done to the undead enemies in the original Dead Island.

We sincerely regret this choice. We are collecting feedback continuously from the Dead Island community, as well as the international gaming community at large, for ongoing internal meetings with Deep Silver's entire international team today. For now, we want to reiterate to the community, fans and industry how deeply sorry we are, and that we are committed to making sure this will never happen again.
    In other news, the NRA - who were just lambasting videogame violence - now have their own videogame called NRA: Practice Range, which is apparently approved for ages FOUR and up.

NRA: Practice Range , billed as the NRA's new mobile nerve center, says it strikes the right balance of gaming and education and delivers a one-touch access to the NRA network of news, laws, facts, knowledge, safety tips, educational materials and online resources.

Super Moderator

United States
    Tacky as hell, that is. And for a videogame, too, which just makes it seems so damned unnecessary. It would be bad enough if it was the arm and torso replica from the swim victim in Jaws, which'd be cool, but still a quite bit WTF. Though I'd love to walk in to my mancave each day, look at such a thing and say "Well, this is not a boat accident!"

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Can't wait for the Special Edition of Dead Island 3 with a belt made out of replica human nipples.
    Sheeeeit, now that I would buy!!!