Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: TWD 4x01 "30 Days Without an Accident" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Neil - again, the boom box was very faint at the Big Spot, I theorise they drew them away (they said the inside of the compound was infested - so they cut open the fence and led them in the direction of the boom box, then ran off quietly and let the group gather by the boom box, which would be much louder and nearer now that they'd been lured away.

I'd also imagine their hearing isn't tip-top, so you can sneak around okay, and even knocking on the window wouldn't carry up enough from under that veranda/overlap sheltered area (but would carry through at least the nearest part of the store) ... so the walkers on the roof wouldn't hear that.
    Just watched... On the shot of the roof... there are walkers all over the roof... everywhere... and not one is standing still... They're all wandering around.

So my spidy-sense tingling is justified... The zombies have been walking over the roof for weeks/months... and only when the party arrive do they all start to drop through?

Should have shown them confined somewhere on the roof by a barricade (wood/wire) or something, which when they hear the noise it riles them up such that two/three push through a week/rotten spot to allow them onto the rest of the roof (which is now rotten)... Done...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Ive just rewatched this episode and when harry potter reanimates in the shower, there is no blood coming from his eyes.

Its all over his nose and mouth but his eyes are pretty clean. I think you guys are way off, im sticking with my theory that he blacked out and smashed his face off the floor.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Just watched... On the shot of the roof... there are walkers all over the roof... everywhere... and not one is standing still... They're all wandering around.
    Did they show all the zeds super spread out moments before they start falling through the ceiling?

I know when you initially glimpse the roof they're not all concentrated on the same section of the roof and doing MZ's patented Hinzman Hobble™, because they just heard a boom crash opera beneath their feet, so it makes more sense that they congregate more closer together when they hear the crash down below and that, paired with their more excited movement, would be what causes the roof to start to give way. Once a large piece goes, the rest starts to weaken and more zeds fall through in seemingly random spots.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    So my spidy-sense tingling is justified... The zombies have been walking over the roof for weeks/months... and only when the party arrive do they all start to drop through?
    In order to bring logic to this mystery....I believe we must turn to board games for the answer.

I believe that Tissue and Marbles can explain this....Let's say the roof is like tissue paper....the chopper and zombies are the marbles. You have your marbles spread out. Now, there's no way to add more zombies so please allow me to slightly deviate from the board game and throw toothpicks into the mix. You poke holes in the tissue with the toothpicks to simulate zombies falling through the roof....and poof...the roof begins to progressively get weaker with each zombie falling through....before you know it...the whole damn place comes down on your head because you don't just have itty bitty zombie marbles on your tissue paper....you have a whopper chopper up there too!

Questions?

Super Moderator

United States
    ^Exactly what Mr. Clean says, he just illustrated in a better fashion than I could ever hope to.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Ive just rewatched this episode and when harry potter reanimates in the shower, there is no blood coming from his eyes.

Its all over his nose and mouth but his eyes are pretty clean. I think you guys are way off, im sticking with my theory that he blacked out and smashed his face off the floor.
    Oh! Well then, we're in f***ing lame-arse-stupid-contact-lenses-for-no-reason-other-than-to-show-he's-a-zombie territory then? Episode 2 will start with his raptor roars then
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Dead

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Aw, crap...was the boar in the forest not another snared animal? If not, I missed that.

I think the big question is how many, if any, of these are red herrings?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm thinking this wasn't hinted at too heavily in the first episode because they either don't globally take those sorts of things into account when writing a single episode (I guess that could be a lack of producer oversight/show running), or they just don't want to tip their hand too much about how damaged some, mot or all people are and leave it as supposedly "bubbling just under the surface" status for episodes which I can only hope will further address how emotionally damaged and numb people have become.

Rick seems suitably damaged, if that makes people feel better, even if it's not in a way that rah-rah way survivalist fans want to see. I also feel that Michonne has always seemed suitably disconnected in the comics and reasonably so in the TV show for someone who lived through her circumstances.

You also have to realize the circumstances of the story aren't always going to adhere directly to our individual philosophies on how people manage under masses of stress. Some people are more hopeful and other more pessimistic about the human condition and fragility of the human mind and spirit.
    That's my theory. They don't globally take into account the dynamics of everything. They write what sounds good, and don't feel like they have to adhere to realism. It's easier to just write in some sappy drama than it is to write it realistically. After all, most people will never think twice about it. They'll be mesmerized by the walker makeup and action sequences.
    Unfortunately for me, I pay attention to small details.

My gripe is that in that situation you really don't have the opportunity to think about things like the fragility of the human mind and spirit. You're in the moment, in a stressful environment with walkers building up outside. You're out there plunging pointy objects through the heads of walkers that were once people. That itself would have a huge impact on your state of mind.

The only way to see walkers as monsters instead of humans, and then continuously plunge objects through their eyes and heads is to disassociate yourself from your emotions. Because the experience of killing a walker is no different than killing a human. The only thing that sets it apart is that you'd have to close off your emotional state to be able to see them as less than human. But then you go in the prison and it's all lovey dovey, snuggles and kisses and unicorns. When you disassociate from your emotions it effects every aspect of your life. It's not a selective process.
    It's not like outside while killing walkers you're cut off and unemotional like a psychopath, but when you go back into the prison you're now a mentally healthy person. That's not how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I actually loved it. I just chalk it up to the walkers not hearing the boombox and then their accelerated, excited movement and grouping up weakening the roof. The big mistake was not having more fall through in that 1st portion of the roof that gave way, but that doesn't even qualify as a quibble really.
    It did look like they were spread out very well. It would've worked better if they had made them fall through the roof only where the chopper was, above the liquor section. Instead they had them falling through small sections all over the roof.. But if they did it realistically, the ever so suspenseful moment where the chopper is about to fall on Daryl while he's standing on top of the cases of IPA and the walkers are surrounding him, just swiping at his feet, well, this wouldn't hold up under a writing style based on realism.

There's just no continuity of realism. There's some parts they get right, and others that use the same old shitty hollywood logic. They need to come out of that hollywood bubble, or hire some advisers with the ability to put themselves in the moment.
    Last edited by babomb; 15-Oct-2013 at 09:42 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by zomtom View Post
    It's possible Daryl could be a carrier. I caught that as well. It seemed odd, Daryl is shown licking his fingers, then shaking hands with Patrick and shortly after, Patrick is a bloody mess. If Daryl were a carrier, he wouldn't necessarily come down with the disease. One thing is for sure, there has got to be a connection to Violet the pig's death, the dying boar in the woods, and the bloody eyed zombie at the fence. I bet whoever dies of this new virus is going to come back with those bloody eyes. It sure looked like Patrick did.
    Bingo. Somone pointed out the boar to me today. I hadn't attached significance to it, because I thought it was snared, but when pointed out, makes sense. Two different swine kealed over dead? Too much coincedence. We know there are diseases communicable from swine to human. And now Bloody Eyes?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    In order to bring logic to this mystery....I believe we must turn to board games for the answer.
    MC for the win. Very elegantly stated.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I think it's a very severe case of pink eye, but that's just me....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I think it's a very severe case of pink eye, but that's just me....
    Now we just need to find out who farted on his pillow...

Fresh Meat

United States
    I think the kid getting sick has to do with the pigs. Some kind of mutated swine flu that kills and then of course he reanimates. I dont think its any harder then that. They mention in the trailers and such that they have do deal with a threat from the inside and that imo is disease. All the feeding at the fence,etc is prob just to trick us into thinking it is more.

Twitching

United States
    I'm betting something like Anthrax personally,
    Anthrax can go from healthy-seeming to exuding bodily fluids at all orifices in something like 24-30hrs, and thats in our world of great hygiene, FDA-inspected food, antibiotics and antiseptics so readily available we use them on paper cuts etc. These people are GROWING FOOD on ground they've splashed WALKER BRAINS ON. Beyond that, they're piling terminated Walkers hip-deep at the fencelines, and any NUMBER of really nasty diseases can go quasi-airborne if the volume of decaying corpses is sufficiently dense. By quasi-airborne I mean there's enough dead Walkers at the fenceline that dust-like bits of them could be getting blown into a random airway of someone alive now and then...ESPECIALLY one of the kids who were loitering within spitting distance of numerous Walkers.

Or what about all the dead flesh that's being cheese-grated off the Walkers as a) They press and claw at the fence under their own power, and b) Are PRESSED AGAINST the fence by Walkers coming up from behind. When we were talking 2 Walkers here, 3 Walkers there, no big deal. The way Carol was talking "We had another major buildup overnight, they're grouping around Towers 3 and 4 again. It hasn't been THIS BAD since *last month*....." having dozens upon dozens of Walkers pushing and clawing at those fences day in, day out seems to be their new norm. Just how would scraped-off and continuing-to-decay tissue from the Walkers' hands and faces would it take for the volume of contaminated tissue to hit "critical mass" and become a contagion-threat as the wind shifts to blow through the fence and into the prison?

Or, like someone else said, theres absolute no telling what level of sanitation the water supply is in. That prison was at one point LOADED with Walkers and plain old dead bodies. One chunk of rotting flesh pressed up against a leaky water line somewhere and you could have any number of truly vile infectious agents in the water.

Given how uncoordinated Patrick-the-Harry-Potter was as he entered the shower area, how sweaty and how desperate he was to spray himself with water, I think we can all agree that WHATEVER the source of his illness, that kid was running a MASSIVE fever. Like cook-the-brain 106-degree fever. Petechial(sp?) (broken blood-vessels in the eyes) bleeding can also be a symptom of intense fever. Maybe some of us are looking at this backward:

Instead of the bloody-eyed Walker being the SOURCE of the disease that brought down Patrick, maybe he was also a VICTIM of said disease, who died of it and reanimated as Patrick did? Those blood-vessels didn't spurt blood into the whites of his eyes post-mortem after all.

I seriously HOPE they aren't going in some cheesy "The Walker Contagion is now airborne" direction. That would make any survival outside a NORAD-type bunker a very limited/unbelievable proposition, and make it too easy to bring down characters. A regular, good-old-fashioned lack of 21st-century hygienic amenities-caused epidemic is FAR more likely than an EXTREMELY SPECIALIZED contagion like the "Walker Microbe" suddenly a) Jumping the species barrier to bring down a pig, even if pigs and humans ARE susceptible to many of the same diseases, but more importantly b) Mutating so dramatically as to become completely airborne...especially now that living human hosts to serve as incubatory-intermediaries are so incredibly rare. If it was going to go airborne it would've happened when there were still 5.8 billion or so people left...NOT 50 million or so scattered across who knows how many continents and now separated by innumerable geographic barriers.

Anthrax, Cholera...even a bad Staff Infection...all more likely. Whatever the cause though, there's a Walker in a cellblock full of sleeping people. That's a recipe for quite a few fatalities right there.

Edit/Note: Also, given Patrick's rapid reanimation...he is likely STILL contagious with whatever-it-was that killed him, assuming it wasn't the "Walker Microbe"...so even if say, he lunges at someone, they grapple and his intended victim flings Walker-Patrick off him and then terminates him/it with a blow/shot to the head...they've just been breathing air pushed in their face by potentially infection-filled lungs due to Walker-moaning, have their hands covered in contagious body-sweat from fevered Patrick, though his impromptu shower might have mitigated some of that...or the blood he's dripping as he totters towards his first victim...all potential mediums for conventional microbes to be passed to another person.

Now THERE'S a scary thought. Cholera or Anthrax-contaminated Walkers. Forget being bitten, hope you brought a respirator to that melee struggle.
    Last edited by Wyldwraith; 15-Oct-2013 at 10:44 PM. Reason: More to say.

United States
    There's a sick pig in the pen and Hershel is a veterinarian. Maybe... just maybe... he might want to check out the pig in a y'know, professional capacity TWD writers??
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 16-Oct-2013 at 12:34 AM. Reason: edit
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarr View Post
    There's a sick pig in the pen and Hershel is a veterinarian. Maybe... just maybe... he might want to check out the pig in a y'know, professional capacity TWD writers??
    HAHAHA I completely missed that. Hershel has been working on people so long I forgot his roots

Dead

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarr View Post
    Let's take some bets on whether or not it ever happens!!??

It's strange looking at the thread post/view counts. This thread has 74 replies but 1,142 views. Who are all these people with nothing to add??
    Speak up strangers!!
    Last edited by babomb; 16-Oct-2013 at 03:23 AM. Reason: .