Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Munsters and Addams family are fifty years old this year!

Twitching

Undisclosed

The Munsters and Addams family are fifty years old this year!

I'm having a Munsters marathon

Last edited by Rottedfreak; 05-Dec-2014 at 05:46 PM. Reason: vzvg

Administrator

England
    Both great series!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    I liked both shows, but there was just something really dark about the Addams Family which appealed more to my macabre sense of humor.
    And the Charles Addams cartoons were wonderfully twisted. Here's a cool New Yorker article about the man behind the madness.

http://www.newyorker.com/cartoons/bo...charles-addams
    Attached Images

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I love both series', but The Munsters is one of my favorite TV shows of all time. Got the whole series(waiting on a remastered blu ray), multiple shirts, figures, models and dioramas, etc. I couldn't even tell you how many times I've watched every episode.

I also own several seasons of The Addams Family and really enjoy the first two films with the late Raul Julia. It's a shame he passed away so soon because I would've loved to have seen that same team continue with more films after "Values".

Bryan Singer created a remake of The Munsters several years back called Mockingbird Lane. While different from the original series, I felt like he made a great modern adaptation and I still have it saved on my DVR. Sadly it never made it past that pilot episode, which is a shame.

Undisclosed

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The Addams Family is getting a new film, which will be animated and more inspired by the original Charles Addams cartoons.

Voice cast led by Golden Globe winner Oscar Isaac as Gomez Addams, Academy Award winner Charlize Theron as Morticia Addams, Chloë Grace Moretz as Wednesday Addams, Finn Wolfhard as Pugsley Addams, Nick Kroll as Uncle Fester, Bette Midler as Grandmama and Academy Award winner Allison Janey as the family’s arch nemesis Margaux Needler.
    Last edited by bassman; 05-Jun-2018 at 07:24 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Poster for the upcoming animated Addams Family:

(Only slight differences from the above image, but what’re ya gonna do...)

With it’s stellar voice casting and being in animation where anything is possible, I’m really looking forward to this! They may get a lot of hate, but I love the Hotel Transylvania series for similar reasons, so I can see this being the same type of dark family fun! And as I said....the voice casting seems spot on!
    Last edited by bassman; 30-Mar-2019 at 12:52 PM. Reason: .

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Poster for the upcoming animated Addams Family:

(Only slight differences from the above image, but what’re ya gonna do...)

With it’s stellar voice casting and being in animation where anything is possible, I’m really looking forward to this! They may get a lot of hate, but I love the Hotel Transylvania series for similar reasons, so I can see this being the same type of dark family fun! And as I said....the voice casting seems spot on!
    Woohoo! I'm actually excited for this!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I just realized that in the poster, Thing is wearing a Fitbit on his wrist!

Ireland
    Am I the only one that always preferred 'The Munsters' over 'The Adams Family'?
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Am I the only one that always preferred 'The Munsters' over 'The Adams Family'?
    No, you’re not the only one, I definitely prefer Munsters. I really enjoy both, but Munsters has always been my go-to show out of the pair. I watch the whole Munsters series at least once a year, and even have models, figures/statues, shirts, etc. It’s one of my top five shows of all time, actually!

That being said, Addams Family is also immensely enjoyable. The show and the two movies from the nineties.

You should seek out Bryan Singer’s remake pilot/film, Mockingbird Lane. It’s an interesting modern adaptation of The Munsters and manages to have some of the heart and soul that made the original so great. Sadly, it never made it past the pilot episode, but I still quite enjoy it in a weird way...
    Last edited by bassman; 30-Mar-2019 at 11:35 PM. Reason: .

Ireland
    Never felt anything for 'The Adams Family', have to say. 'The Munsters' on the other hand was right up my street. I used to love it as a kid, it was on after school in the 80's. Always thought it was gas the way the believed Marilyn looked shite, even though she was the most normal out of the lot of them.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Ever seen the episode where they make Eddie a super go-cart and Herman takes it to the streets? I hurt from the laughter the first few times I saw it! Classic comedy!

Ireland
    Can't recall that. Watching some now on YouTube. There's a great one with Paul Lynde I'm looking at now.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Another great thing about the show is that on certain episodes they commented on real topics such as racism and politics. Like all the great science fiction works that did the same, they were able to get away with these things through the filter of “oh, it’s just a silly monster show”. Otherwise it would have never made it through the censors. Great stuff!