Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: US student thrown across classroom by police officer?

Administrator

England

US student thrown across classroom by police officer?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34644373

Looks like he slid her across the floor to me.

So she was repeatedly asked to leave the class, didn't. Resisted... So surely some force is the next reasonable step? What did she expect from her actions?

TBH I have not a moment for any complaint against the officer given when I've seen so far!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    But you don't know anything about the events leading up to this incident with the child or why the kid was being asked to leave, or what happened in the first place.

Would you like your kid being handled in that way? That guy could easily have broken something and done some serious harm to the kid.

The cop has clearly lost control here.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    But you don't know anything about the events leading up to this incident with the child or why the kid was being asked to leave, or what happened in the first place.

Would you like your kid being handled in that way? That guy could easily have broken something and done some serious harm to the kid.

The cop has clearly lost control here.
    If she was repeatedly asked to leave the room and did not, including by the officier, then sorry, I don't have much sympathy.

As for "handled that way", I see her being very efficiently removed from the desk she was holding into to. She was simply pulled free of the table and slid along the floor. I see no "throwing" involved?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    We don't even know what she was supposed to have done. It could be a completely minor incident.

As for throwing, he throws her to the ground in a very violent fashion. The cop has lost control of the situation here. Look at that vid again. He slams the kid (a girl half his age probably) onto the floor.

I'll ask you again, would you like your child being handled this way?

Administrator

England
    We don't even know what she was supposed to have done. It could be a completely minor incident.
    Fair call, but I'd suggest the police officer wasn't initially stationed in the room, so has arrived there at the tail end of events, undoubtably leading to the entire class being disrupted for a long time.

It may well have been a minor matter, but she chose to escalate it by ignoring repeated instructions to move, including from a police officer.

As for throwing, he throws her to the ground in a very violent fashion.
    He certainly doesn't mess around but I don't see it as "very violent". Did he use his stick/spray/taser? He could have messed about prying one hand away at a time etc etc, but TBH this probably - as he well knows having done the job - would just be a waste of time/effort and a messy wrestle. Instead he does what he knows works, a quick shock!

The cop has lost control of the situation here. Look at that vid again. He slams the kid (a girl half his age probably) onto the floor.
    She's clearly not letting go of the desk... He gets her free of the desk, and being handcuffed in 5 seconds, and I bet nothing is bruised other than her pride.

I'll ask you again, would you like your child being handled this way?
    If they had been asked repeatedly to do something by authority figures, over and over, including a police officer, and then resited too, then TBH the next step is physical force. She had physical force used against her which wasn't pandering to her, but making sure she was not dealt with ASAP after wasting 30 peoples time for how ever long it was. If it was my kid I'm be ashamed they were ignoring authority figures TBH, and not handling the matter better.

If this ends up with police officers having to pussy foot around people playing these games, shame!
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    TBH, I think you're making a lot of excuses for that cop's behavior in an incident we know next to nothing about. We don't even know what the incident is.

All we have to go on is a few minutes of video, where a GROWN MAN is throwing a SCHOOL GIRL to the floor, while she's still in her school desk. That alone could easily cause serious damage to the kid. He then slides her across the floor to god knows where and possibly into god knows what.

The man has lost control here and has let his temper get the better of him and thus has made some very bad decisions. His actions could very easily have led to injury.

We're talking about a child here...his actions are crazy. Sorry, way too heavy handed. I cannot imagine any parent simply standing by and going "Yeh fine, bounce her off the ground there."

You don't see that as "very violent"? Really? A grown man throwing a child to the ground.

If it turns out that all the kid was doing was being disruptive in some nature, then the parents should sue the shit out of that guy. Christ, were they even called before Judge Dredd arrived? I'd be livid if someone did that to my kid.

I guarantee you one thing though, I'd say that cop regrets his actions mightily.

Administrator

England
    TBH, I think you're making a lot of excuses for that cop's behavior in an incident we know next to nothing about. We don't even know what the incident is.

All we have to go on is a few minutes of video, where a GROWN MAN is throwing a SCHOOL GIRL to the floor, while she's still in her school desk. That alone could easily cause serious damage to the kid. He then slides her across the floor to god knows where and possibly into god knows what.

The man has lost control here and has let his temper get the better of him and thus has made some very bad decisions. His actions could very easily have led to injury.

We're talking about a child here...his actions are crazy. Sorry, way too heavy handed. I cannot imagine any parent simply standing by and going "Yeh fine, bounce her off the ground there."

You don't see that as "very violent"? Really? A grown man throwing a child to the ground.

If it turns out that all the kid was doing was being disruptive in some nature, then the parents should sue the shit out of that guy. Christ, were they even called before Judge Dredd arrived? I'd be livid if someone did that to my kid.

I guarantee you one thing though, I'd say that cop regrets his actions mightily.
    Agreed we need to know more of the events preceding it. Isn't that interesting given the "slant" the media is going for with the story?

I see him rolling the chair onto it back, while holding her, while she almost seems to be trying to hit him (maybe she's just trying to grab)?

I then see him pulling her in quite a nice movement TBH clear of the chair and sliding her into a clear spot to then cuff her.

I see no bouncing... I see no throwing... The only real "throwing" I see is in headlines to gain attention.

Nothing I see him doing makes me think, ouch that hurts!
    -Carl Sagan

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    Kids are raised differently these days. If my parents saw me acting that way......I would of been a zombie shortly there after......

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Holy shit.

That's some police brutality if there ever was some. I agree with shootem here. That's a fucking kid. Not some crackhead on the street who is a potential danger. That's a kid. A child. That's sick.

Glad someone caught it on tape. That's all I'll say. The media will, and should, judge that asshole.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 29-Oct-2015 at 10:02 AM. Reason: fuck

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Holy shit.

That's some police brutality if there ever was some. I agree with shootem here. That's a f***ing kid. Not some crackhead on the street who is a potential danger. That's a kid. A child. That's sick.

Glad someone caught it on tape. That's all I'll say. The media will, and should, judge that asshole.
    Amazing how we interpret things differently

I don't see a single thing there that I recon hurt her. I see a strong physical action to end the matter. If he'd been mamby-pamby about it, it would have simply have turned into a stupid wrestle, probably with them both rolling around on a chair. Instead, he got her out of the chair and hand cuffed in 5 seconds... Done...

Here's hoping we see the lead up to it! I bet she'd been given tens of minutes and repeated offers to get out of the room.

ps: In hindsight - I wonder if they could have just cleared the room, and left her alone in there Suspect they couldn't lose the room for even more time though.
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    ps: In hindsight - I wonder if they could have just cleared the room, and left her alone in there Suspect they couldn't lose the room for even more time though.
    Well, they fired him....

Why give her that kind of power? If you play stupid games, you should win stupid prizes. It's that simple.

I agree with you Neil....I didn't see anything wrong. The girl was being a stubborn ass and got what was coming to her. Now, police have yet another reason to be fearful to do their job. On the other side of the spectrum, the people have yet another example of how they can be rewarded for giving authority the bird.
    Last edited by Mr. Clean; 28-Oct-2015 at 04:37 PM. Reason: ...

United States
    Kid was guilty of...using a cell phone in class. What a crime.

Officer was already under investigation for excessive force on another student. Surprise.

Child was definitely non-compliant and resistant, and should have been removed from the classroom. But the level of force employed was in no way warranted.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Kid was guilty of...using a cell phone in class. What a crime.
    ...and not follow repeated requests to vacate the room.

Officer was already under investigation for excessive force on another student. Surprise.
    Hmmm... Doesn't sound good.

Child was definitely non-compliant and resistant, and should have been removed from the classroom. But the level of force employed was in no way warranted.
    I'd still say a single person could not have removed a non-compliant person in a simpler fashion. It would have been a slow farcicle wrestle. Instead it was done quickly and swiftly. TBH, it should have been two people removing her.

And from another article:-
    "When the officer arrives he asked her to get up 4 or 5 times she tells him No. He then moves the objects around him and while standing over her he asked one more time then tried to pick her up but she started fight him. Then he used force to get hands behind her back."
    Sorry... She'd been given numerous chances, and he dealt with the matter in a strong forceful way but which meant it was over quickly, with no one hurt.

But do you see what the press are doing with this?

Headline = "Deputy threw South Carolina student"

Article explaining = "yanked from her desk and dragged across the classroom floor"

Hmmm....

...and of course we have the race card being played too now for added effect!

Trial by social media!
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    If the cop was fired, that's a good start. But we already know many police prescincts in the US have these kind of problems. That's excessive use of force, no doubt about it and I'm just glad the case got settled quickly. Hope there's an investigation to follow to I wouldn't mind some criminal charges being brought on that asshole.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's some more information on the matter and the perp.

http://heavy.com/news/2015/10/ben-fi...eo-complaints/

Apparently the girl was hurt, which doesn't surprise me at all considering what the video shows. Looks like she might have broke something from that slam dunk - and she could easily have suffered a concussion that might (if left untreated) have killed her. Not saying that her life was in danger at any point but to suggest that this wasn't excessive use of force is crazy (and her injuries prove that).

We've all been to school. Just having a cop there assigned to the school is crazy. A cop suggests kids need to be treated as criminals - which is just what happened here - and this is the inevitable result.

Another thing is the action and reaction. She had not committed a crime. She'd been asked to leave - yes, but she had not committed a crime and she was not putting anyone else at risk in any way, shape or form. So why slamdunk her head to the floor? There's just no way you can argue that's an appropriate response. She wasn't wielding a weapon for christ sakes... Again, she's a kid. Teach kids, even stupid ones, as kids. Otherwise, get the f*ck out, which is exactly what's happened here and everyone is better off for it.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Apparently the girl was hurt, which doesn't surprise me at all considering what the video shows. Looks like she might have broke something from that slam dunk - and she could easily have suffered a concussion that might (if left untreated) have killed her.
    Are we watching the same video?

I'd suggest a typical situation of a kid leaning too far back and falling over on the chair is more dangerous? He's actually holding her the entire time she goes back? In Judo it the "must do" for this very reason. Hold on to protect them. Have you got a link to a report of broken bones? I can only imagine the number of lawyers phoning up to "help" this young girl right now, neck braces at the ready!

Having trouble seeing where we get concussion and potential death suggestions?

If she's injured I'll take back everything I've said!

EDIT:

I may have to take back everything I've said? - http://america.aljazeera.com/article...om-arrest.html <-- Not the best source maybe though?

I'd love to see an unbiased medical report on her. I really cannot help but be cynical enough to think the lawyer has something to do with the injury report. Sorry! Maybe I've seen one to many Hollywood films!
    -Carl Sagan