Thread: V for VENDETTA

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

V for VENDETTA

Has anyone seen it? Most of all did you like it?
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG
    Has anyone seen it? Most of all did you like it?
    I loved it!

Super Moderator

United States
    Was the best movie I've seen this year.

A great flick, truly. I don't know if the search function works, but there was a thread about this and most of it was positive in nature. I will own it, and own it soon!

I saw it on IMAX, by the way...man, I got goose bumps watching it.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Christmas Island
    Best movie I've seen in a long while, well since Sin City anyways.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    How about some mini reviews? I've got to go grocery shopping this afternoon and I was considering buying it. Would anyone say that it's worth a purchase without having seen it?

Fiji
    defenitely worth buying. it's hands down the best movie i've seen this year.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by p2501
    defenitely worth buying. it's hands down the best movie i've seen this year.
    I'll take your word for it. Thanks man.

Of course I've got to get the 2 disc edition....Hopefully they'll have it at Wal-Mart....but I doubt it.

I saw a trailer for it last night attached to the DVD for "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" and I don't know If I'll be able to watch them shave the beautiful Natalie Portman's hair. I almost cried.

Fiji
    No, worries. how was Kiss kiss? i've been emaning to catch that.

with V get which ever version you like, but make certain you get the widescreen version. walmart is asstastic for selling the pan and scan versions of movies.

the "bo-peep" outfit will cover your horror of her head shaving.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    No, worries. how was Kiss kiss? i've been emaning to catch that.

with V get which ever version you like, but make certain you get the widescreen version. walmart is asstastic for selling the pan and scan versions of movies.

the "bo-peep" outfit will cover your horror of her head shaving.

No doubt....Wal Mart has gotten me that way a few times. I get home and look at the back of the box like "F*CK!".

"Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" was great, actually. It actually surpassed my expectations. It really wasn't what I had expected. Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer give WONDERFUL and HILARIOUS performances.

I highly recommend it. I doubt there's any way that you won't like it. I'm going to pick it up as soon as I can....

Cool little peice of trivia that I picked up on: It's the directorial(also written by) debut of Shane Black. Black wrote the "Lethal Weapon" films, as well as acting as Hawkins in the original "Predator".

Billy. Billy! The other day, I was going down on my girlfriend, I said to her, "Jeez you got a big pussy. Jeez you got a big pussy." She said, "Why did you say that twice?" I said, "I didn't."

....You know....because the echo

Fiji
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311
    Cool little peice of trivia that I picked up on: It's the directorial(also written by) debut of Shane Black. Black wrote the "Lethal Weapon" films, as well as acting as Hawkins in the original "Predator".

Yep balck also wrote, The Last Boyscout and the Long kiss goodnight. two of my absolute favorite early 90's action fests.

cool. i'll score Kiss kiss this weekend.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311
    How about some mini reviews? I've got to go grocery shopping this afternoon and I was considering buying it. Would anyone say that it's worth a purchase without having seen it?
    Here's my review of it for my blog.

Alan Moore's decision to want his name off the final credits for the film adaptation of V for Vendetta now makes sense. Moore has had a hate/hate relationship with Hollywood and the film industry in general. They've taken two of his other works in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and From Hell and bollocks'd them up (to borrow a term used quite abit in V for Vendetta). Outside of Watchmen, Alan Moore sees V for Vendetta as one of his more personal works and after reading the screenplay adaptation of the graphic novel by The Wachowski Brothers his decision afterwards was to demand his name be removed from the film if it was ever made. Part of this was his hatred of the film industry for their past mistakes and another being his wish for a perfect adaptation or none at all. Well, V for Vendetta by James McTeigue and The Wachowski Brothers is not a perfect film adaptation. What it turns out to be is a film that stays true to the spirit of Moore's graphic novel and given a modern, up-to-the-current news retelling of the world's state of affairs.

V for Vendetta starts off with abit of a prologue to explain the relevance of the Guy Fawkes mask worn by V throughout the film and the significance of the date of the 5th of November. I think this change in the story from the source material may be for the benefit of audiences who didn't grow up in the UK and have no idea of who Guy Fawkes was and what his Gunpowder Plot was all about. The sequence is short but informative. From then on we move on to the start of the main story and here the film adheres close enough to the source material with a few changes to the Evey character (played with skill that more than makes up for her Amidala performances) but not enough to ruin the character. Caught after curfew and accosted by the ruling government's secret police called Fingermen, Evey soon encounters V who saves her not just from imprisonment but rape.

Right from the start the one thing McTeigue and The Wachowski Brothers got dead-on was casting Hugo Weaving as the title character. Voice silky, velvety and sonorous, Weaving infuses V with an otherworldly, theatrical personality. Whether V was speaking phrases from Shakespeare, philosophers or pop culture icons, the voice gave a character who doesn't show his face from behind the enternally-smiling Guy Fawkes mask real life. I'd forgiven the makers of this films for some of the changes they made to the story and some of the characters for keeping V as close to how Moore wrote him. Once V and Evey are thrown in together by the happenstance of that nightly encounter their fates became intertwined. Portman plays the reluctant witness to V's acts of terrorism, murders and destruction in the beginning, but a poignant and emotionally powerful sequence to start the second half of the film soon brings Evey's character not much towards V's way of doing things, but to understanding just why he's doing them. This sequence became the emotional punch of the whole film and is literally lifted word for word from the graphic novel. I heard more than just a few people sobbing in the theater as the scenes and story unfolded.

The rest of the cast seemed like a who's who of the British acting community. From Stephen Rea's stubborn and dogged Chief Inspector Finch whose quest to find V leads him to finding clues about his government's past actions that he'd rather have not found. Then there's Stephen Fry's flamboyant TV show host who becomes Evey's only other ally whose secret longings have been forbidden by the government, but who's awakened by V's actions to go through with his own form of rebellion. Then there's John Hurt as High Chancellor Adam Sutler who's seen chewing up the scenery with his Hitler-like performance through Big Brother video conferences (an ironic bit of casting since John Hurt also played Winston Smith in the film adaptation of the Orwell classic 1984). I really couldn't find any of the supporting players as having done a bad job in their performances. Even Hurt's Sutler may seemed over-the-top to some but his performance just showed how much of a hatemonger Sutler and in the end his Norsefire party really were in order to stay in power.

The story itself, as I mentioned earlier, had had some changes made to it. Some of these changes angered Moore and probably anger his more die-hard fans. I count myself as one of these die-hards, but I know how film adaptations of classic literary works must and need to trim some of the fat from the main body and theme of the story to fully translate onto the silver screen. The Wachowski Brother's screenplay did just that. They trimmed some of the side stories and tertiary characters from the story and concentrated on V, Evey and Inspector Finch's pursuit of both and the truth. This adaptation is much closer to how Peter Jackson adapted The Lord of the Rings. As a fan of Moore I understood why he was unhappy with the changes. But then Moore is also an avowed perfectionist and only a perfect adaptation would do.

Already critics on both sides of the aisle have called V for Vendetta revolutionary, subversive, daring to irresponsible, propagandist. All because the film dares to ask serious questions about the nature and role of violence as a form of dissent. But the granddaddy question the film brings up that has people talking is the question: terrorist or freedom fighter? Is V one or the other or is he both? Make no mistake about it, V for all intents and purposes is a terrorist if one was to use the definition of what a terrorist is. The makers of this film goes to great lenghts to describe throughout the film just how Sutler and his Norsefire (with its iconic Nazi-like symbols and fundamentaist Christian thinking) party rose to power in the UK. Partly due to what seemed like the failed US foreign policy and its subsequent and destructive decline as a superpower and the worldwide panic and fear it began as a result. V for Vendetta also ask just who was to blame for allowing such individuals to rule over them. V has his reasons for killing these powers-that-be, but he also points out that people really should just look in the mirror if they need to know who really was to blame. For it was the population --- whose desire to remain safe and have a semblance of peace --- gave up more and more of their basic liberties and rights for a return to order. If one was to look at the past 100 years they would see that it's happened before. There was the regime of Pol Pot in Cambodia, Milosevic's Greater Serbia, and the king of the hill of them all being Adolf Hitler and his Nazi Inner Circle.

Another thing about V for Vendetta that will surely talked about alot will be the images used in the film. Not just images and symbols looking so much like Nazi icons, but images from the current events sweeping the globe that has been shown time and time again in the news and written about in magazines and newspapers. The film shows people bound and hooded like prisoners from Abu Ghraib. The reason of the war on terror used time and time again by Sutler to justify why England and its people need him and his group to protect them by any means necessary. V for Vendetta seems like a timely film for our current times. Even with the conclusion of the film finally accomplishing what Guy Fawkes failed to do that night of November 5th some 400 plus years ago, V for Vendetta doesn't give all the answers to all the questions it raises. For some I'm sure this would be something that'll frustrate them. So much of people who go to watch thought-provoking films want their questions answered as clearly as possible and all of them. V for Vendetta doesn't answer them but gives the audience enough information to try and work it out themselves.

In final analysis, V for Vendetta accomplishes in bringing the main themes of Alan Moore's graphic novel to life and even does it well despite some of the changes made. It is a film that is sure to polarize the extreme left and right of the political pundits and commentators. But as a piece of thought-provoking and even as a politically subversive film, V for Vendetta does it job well. It is not a perfect film by any respect, but the story and message it tries to convey in addition to its value as a piece of entertainment mor than makes up for its flaws. V for Vendetta more than continues the current crop of seriously done comic book fillm adaptations (Batman Begins, X2, Sin City, and A History of Violence) but it also shows that Alan Moore's work can be adapted well to the screen when given to the right people. It may not be perfect and it may not make Alan Moore happy, but it comes close and more than makes up for LXG and From Hell. 9.5/10
    "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you."
    --- Batman

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yep balck also wrote, The Last Boyscout and the Long kiss goodnight. two of my absolute favorite early 90's action fests.

cool. i'll score Kiss kiss this weekend.
    I love "The Long Kiss Goodnight", man. Probably my favorite Sam Jackson role outside of Jules in "Pulp Fiction" and Zeus in "Die Hard with a Vengeance". It's weird that I like it too, because I despise most of Renny Harlin's other films. But yeah, Shane black is good with action and comedy.

Charlie: Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
    Mitch Henessey: I hope not, cause I'm thinking how much my balls hurt.

Thanks for the review, Tullaryx.

Fiji
    My favorite one from LKGN was

Nathan: Alice, please. Your dog, Alice. It and my appetite are mutually exclusive.
    Alice: Well, what's wrong with the dog?
    Nathan: Simple. He's been licking his asshole for the last three straight hours. I submit to you that there is nothing there worth more than an hour's attention. I should think that whatever he is attempting to dislodge is either gone for good, or there to stay. Wouldn't you agree?

followed only by. "Nah i usuallly just sock them in the jaw and yell pop goes the weasel".

god the movie ****ing rocks. I think despite the fact Harlin is ass in all manners. the script and the actors are really what save the film. brian cox, is just epic.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I bought and watched "V for Vendetta" last night. It's worth the purchase. I particularly dug the social commentary throughout the film. The imagery was also fan-f*cking-tastic.

I would give it about a 9 out of 10.

It was absolutely horrible watching the beautiful Natalie Portman have her hair shaved off. A tear came to my eye. I was really p*ssed when I found out why....