Thread: Study: Humpback whales have 'human' brain cells

Banned User

United States

Study: Humpback whales have 'human' brain cells

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science...eut/index.html

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Humpback whales have a type of brain cell seen only in humans, the great apes, and other cetaceans such as dolphins, U.S. researchers reported on Monday.
    This might mean such whales are more intelligent than they have been given credit for, and suggests the basis for complex brains either evolved more than once, or has gone unused by most species of animals, the researchers said.
    The finding may help explain some of the behaviors seen in whales, such as intricate communication skills, the formation of alliances, cooperation, cultural transmission and tool usage, the researchers report in The Anatomical Record.
    Patrick Hof and Estel Van der Gucht of the Department of Neuroscience at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York studied the brains of humpback whales and discovered a type of cell called a spindle neuron in the cortex, in areas comparable to where they are seen in humans and great apes.
    Although the function of spindle neurons is not well understood, they may be involved in cognition -- learning, remembering and recognizing the world around oneself. Spindle cells may be affected by Alzheimer's disease and other debilitating brain disorders such as autism and schizophrenia.
    The researches found spindle neurons in the same location in toothed whales with the largest brains, which the researchers said suggests that they may be related to brain size. Toothed whales such as orcas are generally considered more intelligent than baleen whales such as humpbacks and blue whales, which filter water for their food.
    The humpbacks also had structures that resembled "islands" in the cerebral cortex, also seen in some other mammals.
    These islands may have evolved in order to promote fast and efficient communication between neurons, the researchers said.
    Spindle neurons probably first appeared in the common ancestor of hominids, humans and great apes about 15 million years ago, the researchers said -- they are not seen in lesser apes or monkeys.
    In cetaceans they would have evolved earlier, possibly as early as 30 million years ago, the researchers said.
    Either the spindle neurons were only kept in the animals with the largest brains or they evolved several times independently, the researchers said.
    "In spite of the relative scarcity of information on many cetacean species, it is important to note in this context that sperm whales, killer whales, and certainly humpback whales, exhibit complex social patterns that included intricate communication skills, coalition-formation, cooperation, cultural transmission and tool usage," the researchers wrote.
    "It is thus likely that some of these abilities are related to comparable histologic complexity in brain organization in cetaceans and in hominids."

United States

Very Interesting ...

They are indeed very intelligent . Remember when they were gonna slingshot around the sun to get back to the time period they belonged to , Spock communicated with one of the humpbacks and found out (Gracie) was pregnant !
    "Goodbye , I am gone."

Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DVW5150 View Post
    They are indeed very intelligent . Remember when they were gonna slingshot around the sun to get back to the time period they belonged to , Spock communicated with one of the humpbacks and found out (Gracie) was pregnant !

Good to see I am not the only Star Trek geek at HPOTD. lol

Undisclosed
    Ben Elton said it well in Stark, something along the lines of "What do whales do with their gargantuan brains? They *don't* f!ck up the planet like humans do"

United States

Quote :

Quote Originally Posted by chal View Post
    Ben Elton said it well in Stark, something along the lines of "What do whales do with their gargantuan brains? They *don't* f!ck up the planet like humans do"
    Bloody Brilliant ! CHEERS !
    "Goodbye , I am gone."

United States
    Save the whales but kill the seals
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

capncnut
    Damn interesting read...
    Last edited by capncnut; 30-Nov-2006 at 02:13 AM.

United States
    If this is true, then I think that in a zombie outbreak, humpbacks would "come back".

United States

Ocean of the Dead ...

Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post
    If this is true, then I think that in a zombie outbreak, humpbacks would "come back".
    Zombie whales ...lmao! They could do damage to boats , but how could they masticate (chew) victims? If the disease affects mammals in general , then dolphins , knarwhales and manatees would come back ....ewww scary !
    "Goodbye , I am gone."

Undisclosed
    Whoa...

This is wild stuff o_O;

I once heard of a story from a teacher I know, where a whale washed up on a beach, dead. It was opened up and a naked, hairless man was inside...burnt up pretty bad.

~The Zombie Hunter's Bible~

"Don't go to the Mall without it!"
    -Tom Sullivan, The EvilDead"