Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally I can start to become a vegetarian...!!

Undisclosed

Finally I can start to become a vegetarian...!!

http://www.gizmag.com/go/4439/

Ive seriously been waiting for this technology for like FOREVER....Its been possible to do this years and years ago....

Academic Paper Says Edible Meat Can be Grown in a Lab on Industrial Scale
    from Good Thinking (230 articles)

Page: 1 2 3

August 16, 2005 Experiments for NASA space missions have shown that small amounts of edible meat can be created in a lab. But the technology that could grow chicken nuggets without the chicken, on a large scale, may not be just a science fiction fantasy. In a recent paper in the Tissue Engineering journal, a team of scientists has proposed two new techniques of tissue engineering that may one day lead to affordable production of in vitro - lab grown - meat for human consumption. It is the first peer-reviewed discussion of the prospects for industrial production of cultured meat. "There would be a lot of benefits from cultured meat," says University of Maryland doctoral student Jason Matheny, who studies agricultural economics and public health. "For one thing, you could control the nutrients. For example, most meats are high in the fatty acid Omega 6, which can cause high cholesterol and other health problems. With in vitro meat, you could replace that with Omega 3, which is a healthy fat.

"Cultured meat could also reduce the pollution that results from raising livestock, and you wouldn't need the drugs that are used on animals raised for meat."

Prime Without the Rib

The idea of culturing meat is to create an edible product that tastes like cuts of beef, poultry, pork, lamb or fish and has the nutrients and texture of meat.

Scientists know that a single muscle cell from a cow or chicken can be isolated and divided into thousands of new muscle cells. Experiments with fish tissue have created small amounts of in vitro meat in NASA experiments researching potential food products for long-term space travel, where storage is a problem.

"But that was a single experiment and was geared toward a special situation - space travel," says Matheny. "We need a different approach for large scale production."

Matheny's team developed ideas for two techniques that have potential for large scale meat production. One is to grow the cells in large flat sheets on thin membranes. The sheets of meat would be grown and stretched, then removed from the membranes and stacked on top of one another to increase thickness.

The other method would be to grow the muscle cells on small three-dimensional beads that stretch with small changes in temperature. The mature cells could then be harvested and turned into a processed meat, like nuggets or hamburgers.

Treadmill Meat

...continued

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

capncnut
    I gotta say that I have thought about (and attempted) being a vegeatrian many times and this definitely looks like it could help. The thing is though, most veggie meat clones taste like s**t anyway and I can't see this being any different.

Banned User

United States
    Sounds creepy. I love meat too much. I try to eat more vege dishes but i do not think i can give up meat totally.

Undisclosed
    Well this would be meat....just minus having to kill an animal....

It would just be a matter of getting the right consistency of meat/fat/other to duplicate what its like from a real animal....

So your not a vegatarian since your eating meat....but your not killing any animals to get the meat...

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

Kazakhstan
    this technology means we aren't that far from growing fresh organs for transplant (smoke em if you got them), and you guys are looking forward to guilt free steak fair play

but would biting down on a bit of gristle in a burger still make you cringe? would you still have the urge to pluck out those veins you sometimes get in a chicken nugget? these are the real questions...

United States
    Soylent Green is...err nevermind.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    this technology means we aren't that far from growing fresh organs for transplant (smoke em if you got them), and you guys are looking forward to guilt free steak fair play

but would biting down on a bit of gristle in a burger still make you cringe? would you still have the urge to pluck out those veins you sometimes get in a chicken nugget? these are the real questions...
    Well since the are picknig the ratio of tissues and things in the tissue...they could pick the amount of veins in the meat....so either some veins or no veins at all....!!

United States
    That looks really really cool.

I hope this technology gets improved upon.

"You bitchass zombie mother****er, I swear to God I'll **** you up"

Official member of the Zombie Man Fan Club est. 2007

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    man that uber creepy.

i for one dont like that idea, ive got one sid eof the family thats farmers so the whoel raising cattle then making steaks and sausages and crap youself is a lot more prefferable, but since most people wince at the contents of haggis they would most likely prefer something made in a lab.

....like american hot dogs-ZING!

Kazakhstan
    could provide answers to world hunger maybe?
    i reckon it would create a purist market for real meat, and as such farmers could charge more

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i reckon it would create a purist market for real meat, and as such farmers could charge more
    *rings up grandads farm whilst laughing maniacly*

Undisclosed
    Yeah but the "fake" meat would be more nutricious....and could be custom designed by region....

Like the article said...one day meat makers will stand right next door with bread makers....

England
    Until they can give me a 160z T-bone steak exactly like the one i had in a restaurant last week,with the same taste,texture & crispy fat,without it being "frankenstien food", il stick to my animal meats thankyou very much

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Until they can give me a 160z T-bone steak exactly like the one i had in a restaurant last week,with the same taste,texture & crispy fat,without it being "frankenstien food", il stick to my animal meats thankyou very much
    Yeah okay...what happens when they do give you the T-bone steak exactly like the one you had last week...same texture same taste....

Then what if they give you a T-Bone thats superior to the one you had last week...superior texture ...superior taste....

Then think about this superior T-Bone steak...

you know how sometimes thers that section on a regular T-Bone that is hardly a bite....but its like the juiciest and most tasty part of the steak... Like the fat and meat are in a perfect ratio that when they cook it just makes the most delicious bite possible.... Imagine how much tastier that spot is on a superior T-Bone Steak....

Then Imagine that one spot composing all of the meat on the T-bone...
    Imagine all that deliciousnous without the T-Bone....

Or imagine the bone purposely sectioning off different styles and different tastes of meats....on one side of the bone its tender juicy and flavorful....the other side is spicy, salty, and encompassing...

Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Terran View Post
    Well this would be meat....just minus having to kill an animal....

It would just be a matter of getting the right consistency of meat/fat/other to duplicate what its like from a real animal....

So your not a vegatarian since your eating meat....but your not killing any animals to get the meat...

I wonder what something like that will taste like? Seems amazing that something like that can even be done, creating edible meat in a lab...hmmmm