Thread: what the hell...

Undisclosed

Unhappy what the hell...

i was watching dawn 78' the other night for who know's how many times but 2 things caught my attention..

1) when peter and roger are in the elevator and peter says"look here man i.." and roger say's "i know shut up will ya" what the hell is he trying to say?

2) if GAR was only allowed to shoot @ the mall in the wee hours of the night, how the hell did they pull off those scenes that looked like the afternoon?

for example when they are blocking the entrance with the trucks!

Super Moderator

UK
    1) Peter is trying to express his sorrow and sympathy for his friend as he knows full well what happens once you're bitten.

2) GAR and co got to film for half a day (when the mall closed early), I think it was Wednesdays - either every week or every two weeks. I guess they also grabbed extra shots at the break of dawn before the mall opened and packed up while the store was opening, having prepped to get rolling quick smart before dawn broke.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by DEAD BEAT View Post
    1) when peter and roger are in the elevator and peter says"look here man i.." and roger say's "i know shut up will ya" what the hell is he trying to say?
    In addition to MZ's response, Peter was also present when Roger got bit. He's just attempting to console him by saying something like, "look man, I'm sorry I couldn't have saved you quicker but..." etc.

United States
    "How's the ride?" Peter asked as he wheeled Roger into the elevator and hit the button for the first floor. The doors closed and the car started down.
    "Kinda' bumpy," Roger said, trying for humor, but Peter could sense that he was in extreme pain. In a movement that was out of character for the stern trooper, Peter put his hand on Roger's shoulder.
    "Look here..." he started, his voice cracking a bit.
    Roger was immediately embarrassed, for himself as well as Peter.
    "I know, I know.... Shut up," he said affectionately.
    They had both been though a lot together, and it was something not easily put into words. It was an unspoken truce on the battlefield, something that men in combat would carry about with them forever.

- from the novel

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Weird. I'm watching Dawn right now and as soon as I opened and read this thread it was that part in the movie.

United States
    In regards to your first question, that happens to be one of my favorite scenes from any movie ever. Here is a recent post I made in reference to this scene...
    There are so many great scenes in this movie that it is indeed very hard to pick out a favorite. All of the scenes mentioned here are really good scenes. To me, one of my favorite scenes is very short, and if it had been cut out of the movie it wouldnt have ruined any of the plot points or anything, but it is so simple, and says so much with so little. It is the scene right as our group of 4 is heading downstairs to attempt to shut the main doors to the mall. Flyboy and Fran go down the escalator, but since Roger is hurt and in the wheelbarrow, Peter and he have to go down the elevator. Peter, overwhelmed by the fact that this man with whom he has been through so much with, a man who he has grown to love (in a non-gay way), has been bitten and not only is going to die soon, but is going to die and then "come-back" soon, tries to convey his love to his friend Roger. But being a tough guy, unused to speaking this way, and again being overwhelmed by his own emotions, Peter hardly knows what to say. Peter starts out........... "Look here man, I , uh........"

Roger, who knows exactly how his friend Peter feels, since he feels the same way also, and also as a tough guy not used to expressing these kinds of emotions to another man, realizes in an instance both that his friend Peter is struggling to say what he wants to say and exactly how his friend feels. He cuts Peter's attempt to talk off and says "I know. Shut up, will ya?" To me, this scene show perfectly the bond that these two have formed in the time that they have been together, a bond made even tighter due to the extraordinary circumstances that have taken place during that time. Just a short, 10 second scene, but it is one of the things that illustrates why Dawn of the Dead is the greatest movie of all time.

ViP

United States
    2) if GAR was only allowed to shoot @ the mall in the wee hours of the night, how the hell did they pull off those scenes that looked like the afternoon?
    Most of these scenes were handled at the break of dawn (appropraite eh?). If you notice, all of the outdoor scenes that involve the mall have that sunrise look to them. Anything that wasn't done around the crack of dawn could have been done on a holiday. That would be my guess as to when and how they were able to shoot the massive zombie parking lot/truck scenes.

This would make a great question for an interview.