Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Italian zombie flicks

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed

Italian zombie flicks

Hey guys,

I'm gonna write a paper on films soon. Studying at the university, you know. So I figured I wanted to write about zombie flicks. Italian zombieflicks in particular. I haven't decided on a specific theme yet, but right now it's leaning towards "The Rise and Fall of the Italian Zombie Film". I've seen quite alot of them, but I imagine there are some that I haven't.

Here's a list of those I have seen:

Breakfast at the Manchester Morgue (Spain, Italy)
    Zombi 2 (ZFE)
    Zombi 3 (ZFE 2)
    Zombie 4: After Death (ZFE 3)
    Zombie Holocaust
    Hell of the Living Dead
    Zombie Lake (France, Spain)
    City of the Living Dead
    The Beyond
    Nightmare City

Now, anyone have any suggestions for italian/european zombie flicks from the 1970's and 1980's? Or any "homage" film that was later released during the 90's or 00's.

Also, any literature is welcome of course.

United States
    You forgot Zombie 5 killing Birds.
    I like Bits if ItalianZombie movies, but do you not believe they are utter schlock and virtually devoid of skill?
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Undisclosed

Im not 100% sure

But I think Demons and Demons 2 fit into the "zombie" catagorie for Italian zombie movies.

Plus you get to see Asia Argento when she was still "Hot"!

capncnut
    Wasn't there some Italian film called Cemetary of the Dead or something?

Quote Originally Posted by coma View Post
    You forgot Zombie 5 killing Birds.
    Oh my GAR, why was that ghastly movie ever made?

Quote Originally Posted by OddDNA View Post
    But I think Demons and Demons 2 fit into the "zombie" catagorie for Italian zombie movies.
    That's a tough one. Kinda falls into the whole "Is Evil Dead a zombie flick?" category. Great movies though.
    Last edited by capncnut; 12-Feb-2007 at 03:24 AM.

Undisclosed
    The Italian films are short on sophistication (and big on plagiarism)when it came to script. But they have good cinematography and atmosphere. Burial Ground is one of the best, don't miss that one. I think they were jumpstarted by Savini's work (in Dawn) coupled with Goblin's music. It struck a chord, so to speak.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by triste realtà View Post
    The Italian films are short on sophistication (and big on plagiarism)when it came to script. But they have good cinematography and atmosphere. Burial Ground is one of the best, don't miss that one. I think they were jumpstarted by Savini's work (in Dawn) coupled with Goblin's music. It struck a chord, so to speak.
    Agreed. For me, story and characterization are much of the reason I see a film. Never saw Burial Ground, but I will look for it.
    Maybe I did see it. In the 80s I saw A TON of Zombie movies.
    Gates of Hell/City OTLD was total cat ass though. I want my 2 hours back, dammit

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Italian zombie flicks definetly suck most of the time. But that's part of the charm.

I do recommend Zombie 4: After Death to anyone who wants to laugh. It's hilarious.

Thanks for the suggestions, btw.

Undisclosed

Ok?

Zomibe 4 is sooo bad its good...I loved it.

United States
    Yeah, you definately want "Burial Ground" for these purposes...it's gonna fit in w/ what you already have REAL nicely. The "Blind Dead" series would also be appropriate.

NOW, for an entirely DIFFERNENT take on the Italian zombie flick, check out "Dellamorte Dellamore" (aka "Cemetery Man"). A great flick PERIOD. Very existential, delving deep into the meaning of death & life. shold provide a nice contrast to the others

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    NOW, for an entirely DIFFERNENT take on the Italian zombie flick, check out "Dellamorte Dellamore" (aka "Cemetery Man"). A great flick PERIOD. Very existential, delving deep into the meaning of death & life. shold provide a nice contrast to the others
    Awesome movie.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Yeah, you definately want "Burial Ground" for these purposes...it's gonna fit in w/ what you already have REAL nicely. The "Blind Dead" series would also be appropriate.
    Blind ead is spanish and commits the worst sin
    BORING. really, really boring. I'll take ultra stupid over boring any day.

Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Burial Grounds I'll have to get ahold off. I think there's a store in town that holds the supposed uncut Vipco release (the one from 2004). The ZFE2 release was uncut, so I don't see why this one can't be.

As for Dellamorte Dellamore it's a bit out of the timeframe. It's a 90's film and came out long after the zombie wave had died down. But I might have to check it out to see where the genre "went" from there.

Blind Dead series I think I'll skip, seeing as they're not true zombie flicks, are they?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I watched Killing Birds last night.

Oh god. What WAS that ****? The first zombie cropped up at 55 minutes into the film. And then the zombies didn't really DO anything for another 15 minutes. It was boring and worthless. There's practically no zombies in it whatsoever. It's more like a slasherfilm, but you never ever get to see the killer and he strikes once every half-hour.

capncnut
    I feel for ya Ned, that's 90 minutes you're never going to get back.

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    Try these ones.

-Erotic Nights Of The Living Dead- There are two versions of this film, one has some graphic sex scenes, and the other just normal horror stuff. I think.

-Oasis of the Zombies- I think the writer of Zombie Lake made this one I could be wrong.

Hit up Burial Ground though it's a good flick.