Thread: a question on microphones

United States

a question on microphones

i have a JVC mini dv camera that cost roughly aroud 300 bucks, i was woundering if any of you knew if i could use a microphone on it or not?

United States
    Does it have a microphone jack? probably 1/8th inch of it does
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Undisclosed
    What model? Easy enough to look it up. Some have them, some don't. Often the less expensive ones won't. If it doesn't, it might be possible to hack one into the lines that go to the built-in mic, but that's not for the faint of heart.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by 7feet View Post
    If it doesn't, it might be possible to hack one into the lines that go to the built-in mic, but that's not for the faint of heart.
    Of you dont know what you are doing for sure, dont do that. Please!

You can always use a minidisc or some other quality digital recorder and fly in the sound and sync it up

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    ^ thats what i do when im doing some random ass "hidden" camera crap with my friends, try out bluetooth ones, there a we bit pircey, check ebay, but there fantastic for getting sound and dont suffer from the same problems as traditional radio devices which can be interrupted or cut off by cars and other radio devices.

UK
    Mp3 players are pretty good too and widely available now. My friend uses his 30gb iPod to record sound.
    Sound is more important than picture.

Get the money on the screen

Undisclosed
    Yeah, Dumb of me. Even though I know its digital, my brain automatically goes back to shooting on film, where sync can be a pain in the ass. Though some really cheap digital recording devices might have a tiny bit of clock drift, you'd never see it unless maybe you were doing a 40 minute shot. If you do it that way (and I second the minidisc recorder - the little tiny Sony "walkman" minidisc player/recorders do a damn nice job, good sound) it would help you in the end to do the trad callout/clapper thing-

"Rolling - Sound - Scene 2 take, uh, 37! WHACK"

The giant spike in the waveform makes it pretty easy to sync up the sound to the picture in post. A little more work than getting in camera sound, but worth it.

Because I have yet to hear an on camera mic that I did not think licked big sloppy dog knob. Even expensive cameras, they just don't seem to put very good ones in there. A decent shotgun mic is your friend.

United States
    you guys got any suggestions for a cheap one because im damn near broke

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ngm231 View Post
    you guys got any suggestions for a cheap one because im damn near broke
    Cheap what?
    Mic?
    DV camera?
    Portable recorder?
    Or some combination?

Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

United States
    recorder and mic, ive got the mini dv

United States
    I cant suggest a brand of Boom mic, but I can say definately get a boom . you could get a decent one reasonably priced. Though nothing is reasonable when you are broke. And get an extension cable if it is not long enough. You can always use a mop handle as a boom pole.
    '
    If you cant get a boom you can afford you can sometimes get a mic on sale at sam ash or some other music store for 20 bucks or less. Not ideal, but better than a camera mic. Plus you MUST GET A WINDSCREEN. Thats only a couple dollars. A piece of foam rubber and a rubber band can be just as good, but ugly.

An Mp3 player with an external mic jack. Lots of people have them now and maybe you could borrow one or use one that someone who is going to be in your movie owns.

The internal mics that Mp3 players have are often not very good, so inly use if you have to. Not much difference between the camera one and that

A Sony Mini disc can be gotten used for 30 bucks or so. Maybe less. Its a good investment because you can use it to make foley Sound FX too (homemade sound effects). Mini discs are not that expensive. Maybe 3-4 dollars each. You cant keep reusing them because you will get sound drop outs and you will be sorry bigtime.

If you have a laptop you can record direct into that. Or if you are shooting in your house you can record direct into your desktop computer.

Its hard to get dough at your age (Or any age ). Maybe you could mow a few lawns to get some money or clean someones garage. I used to do that stuff to get money when I was your age. Unfortuantly you have to spend something. But once you make the investment your good to go. I used to make super 8 fmovies and the film and processing cost a ton. That meant no second takes.
    Last edited by coma; 25-Mar-2007 at 07:59 PM.

Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

United States
    thanks man ill probably pick up a sony mini disc.