Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Sunshine"...

Super Moderator

UK

"Sunshine"...

Well, I went to the cinema today for a double whammy...the second film was "Hot Fuzz", which I'd only seen on a sh*tty CAM missing the start, and it was great on the big screen (the intro was nifty to see as well)...but by crikey, it was F*CKING LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEYOND BELIEF - bloody hell, turn it down a bit mate! If you can feel the concussion of the shotgun blasts (or whippy/crashy montages) in your chest, then it's TOO F*CKING LOUD!!!

Otherwise, it was bloody marvellous seeing it on the big screen - BRING THE NOISE!!! (as long as you dial it down a couple *strokes headache incurred as a result).

Anyway, onto the point - Danny Boyle's "Sunshine".

Closest thing to a spoiler in 'ere is mention of one scene which is very vague, mentions no names, nor when it appears, how it appears or anything - the rest is my personal reaction, and just generalisations about the film that you'd find in any usual review.

Simply put - it's a thinking man's Armageddon ... minus the cheese, minus the "Harry I love you!!!"...

It was beautiful beyond belief, it had me spell-bound and featured perhaps the most beatiful death scene ever committed to film in the history of cinema - and it's beautiful in the sense of 'seeing the silver lining to tragedy', at this stage when it happens (and when you watch it, you'll know which scene I mean) you should be 'on the same level' as the protagonists, whom you remain with throughout the film - thus putting you 'in their shoes', connecting you with the last chance for humanity itself. 6+ billion lives depend on this crew and their payload 'star within a star' creating-bomb that's the size of Manhattan...yes, you could say that's a bit daft, but believe me, it isn't...you genuinely get sucked into this movie, you feel right there with the protagonists, who do a superb job of acting (especially Cillian Murphy who is astonishing ... his performance is powerful to say the least). The protagonists know the importance of what they're doing, so you don't get any of that usual bleeding-heart-liberal bollocks, the clarity of vision for these protagonists is refreshing, and helps further cement the importance of their mission.

My only grievance is that perhaps there's maybe a bit too much of the 'let's go have a look at the sun reflecting off the solar-panel-shield-sail-thing' moments ... but it's easy to overlook.

The film is beautifully shot, the music is SPOT-THE-F*CK-ON - especially in the scene I waxed lyrical about earlier (it captured my breath and held it throughout, it had my eyes welling up with emotion as I was completely transported into that astonishingly beautiful moment), the performances are also spot on, there's clarity of vision, there's belief in abundance, you feel for these characters and you most importantly respect them.

Now yes, my review is inspired by my own personal experience of this film, but I got completely sucked into it and I "got" it, it had me spell-bound throughout and it perhaps the most beautiful film I've ever seen. The simple beauty of life itself, encased in the sheer power of the Sun itself just leaves you in awe, the Sun truly is our actual and tangible God and it's a thing of power, menace, beauty and awe in this film.

Absolutely superb, highly recommended, it will be leaving an impression on me for some time.

*one more time*

BEAUTIFUL
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 11-Apr-2007 at 09:36 PM.

capncnut
    Thanks for that MZ, I will go to see this on Friday. F**kin' A man!

Super Moderator

UK
    Another thing I wanna add - if you get sucked into the film, it's kinda like a religious experience ... but for Athiests.

Obviously, don't go in expecting to see the film how I saw it, but it's definitely a film with power on the big silver that would be/will be mostly lost on the small screen - best viewed BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG.

The key to going to a film and enjoying it is not expecting anything from it, so then what you do get out of it is all the more powerful for it. I had no idea what to expect from Sunshine anyway, but I freakin' loved it. Boyle nails another genre - the space opera.

It's a science fiction drama with a snifter of action ... if you wanna get genre-headed about it.

Gospel Oak/Chalk Farm (around that area), Camden, London
    UK
    I saw Sunshine yesterday and all I saw from start to finish was one of the best sci-fi films of the year. The acting was near perfect, the story was gripping and the Special Effects... outstanding.

Plus, the new trailer was 28 Weeks Later.... amazing!!!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    to be honest im still kind of on the fence cus a lot of reviews say it goes a bit too event horizon at the end but on the other hand its danny boyle, you know what your getting is gonna be a great piece of cinema regardless.

Super Moderator

UK
    Oh get off the fence you jaded monkey.

The reason for the 'event horizon' thing is just because of (minor spoiler, might have been mentioned in reviews):

The protagonists are on Icarus II, Icarus I didn't get there, the mission was f*cked up, they find Icarus I again as they make their final approach - of around 55 million miles, hehe - to the Sun. They go on board and that's what is 'event horizon' about it.

But Event Horizon was a good flick, and it's not like Event Horizon was original, it doesn't hold the copyright on 'people investigate abandoned vessel' content.

And now for a bit more spoiler type stuff:

The captain of Icarus I went mad, he was consumed by the power of the Sun, just like one or two of the crew on Icarus II are doing, it's awesome power is a thing of beauty and menace...anyway, the captain of Icarus I goes mad and believes himself to be talking directly to God in the Sun's presence - the athiest's God anyway - and he believes that he has to stop the mission and all of mankind has to be brought to Heaven at last, so it's a crazy captain who's got the worst sunburn you've ever seen.

Comparing it to Event Horizon is pretty arbitrary, so stop flip-flopping like the jaded monkey you are and bloody well watch it. *sheesh!*

Dying

Undisclosed

I'm a fan of Danny Boyle's movies

I knkow some poeple didn't like 28 Days Later but I really liked the movie. I don't compare it to Romero's movies. Just the balls to shoot it the way he did and make what was a pretty slick little film.

I also liked The Beach (and still listen to the soundtrack a lot), A Life Less Ordinary (ditto on the soundtrack), Shallow Grave and so on. This guy's been entertaining me for years!

I've been looking forward to seeing Sunshine since I first heard about it and will see it on the biggest danged screen I can find it on!

Super Moderator

UK
    Big screen - hell yeah ... I was balled over and sucked in on a normal cinema screen - just imagine it (for those who've seen it) if it was on an Imax screen! That'd be glorious...shame it's only in fahkin' lahdahn ... tha greedy gets!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

But Event Horizon was a good flick, and it's not like Event Horizon was original, it doesn't hold the copyright on 'people investigate abandoned vessel' content.
    You could compare it to "Alien", if you wanted. There's thousands of flicks like that.

Super Moderator

UK
    Bassman - indeed, there's plenty of flicks with that kinda content in them, but the key point here though, is that in Sunshine it isn't the main thrust of the movie, it's a part of the film, and it's far from the point of the film too.

capncnut
    Big screen - hell yeah ... I was balled over and sucked in on a normal cinema screen - just imagine it (for those who've seen it) if it was on an Imax screen! That'd be glorious...shame it's only in fahkin' lahdahn ... tha greedy gets!
    Don't live far from it either, you know that's where I'm going. Fahkin' expensive though.

Super Moderator

UK
    *bumping this for anyone who ain't seen it, all these damn old-ass threads gettin' bumped, blocking my genius prose! SHOCKING! I AM SHOCKED!!*

England
    I wasnt too keen on the idea of this,i had visions of steve tyler singing about not missing a thing etc,but if its actually good then i may venture out to see it

Super Moderator

UK
    lol, ah mate, it's so far from Armageddon it's untold. This is basically science-fiction-drama.

It has heart and soul, the acting is superb almost entirely (Cillian Murphy is astonishingly good), it's beautifully realised, the music kicks balls, it's just a fantastic movie - Boyle nails another genre!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Oh get off the fence you jaded monkey.

The reason for the 'event horizon' thing is just because of (minor spoiler, might have been mentioned in reviews):

The protagonists are on Icarus II, Icarus I didn't get there, the mission was f*cked up, they find Icarus I again as they make their final approach - of around 55 million miles, hehe - to the Sun. They go on board and that's what is 'event horizon' about it.

And now for a bit more spoiler type stuff:

The captain of Icarus I went mad, he was consumed by the power of the Sun, just like one or two of the crew on Icarus II are doing, it's awesome power is a thing of beauty and menace...anyway, the captain of Icarus I goes mad and believes himself to be talking directly to God in the Sun's presence - the athiest's God anyway - and he believes that he has to stop the mission and all of mankind has to be brought to Heaven at last, so it's a crazy captain who's got the worst sunburn you've ever seen.

Comparing it to Event Horizon is pretty arbitrary, so stop flip-flopping like the jaded monkey you are and bloody well watch it. *sheesh!*
    hey i never said event horizon was bad, i really liked it, saw it when i was like 12 and it scared me in the middle of the day, now thats the sign of a good scary movie, though i was 12 at the time and still really into pokemon so i hadnt seen movies liek that THAT often.