Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Script Review: World War Z

Dying

Undisclosed

Script Review: World War Z

Ok, well, despite the misspellings in the review, below is a quote that says it all. Remember, screenplay by J. Michael Straczynski and (if I remember right) optioned by Brad Pitt's production company.

"World War Z, as a screenplay, is the greatest handling of the living dead since Romero’s quadrilogy."
    Last edited by Geophyrd; 17-Dec-2007 at 03:32 PM.
    Geo the Giant Killer aka Geophyrd aka me
    http://geophyrd.livejournal.com/

Super Moderator

UK
    Sounds good to me, I finished the book recently and it was bloody good so hopefully this will be the in-depth, big budget, intelligent, far-seeing, globally-minded zombie film we've all been dying to see.

I just hope it doesn't get trendified to suit a bunch of PG-13 wankers. You simply cannot do World War Z at anything less than an "R" rating, it's just not possible - certainly not if you wanna make a good film anyway!

*fingers crossed* for a great zed film.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Sounds good. Hopefully the fact that Brad Pitt is producing will keep it from being PG13. After all....he was Tyler Durden.

Honestly, I wouldn't care if it was PG13 as long as it's good. None of this recent trendy stuff...

United States
    Just finished the book a couple of days ago. I would love to see this as a movie, if it is done well. I can't see it having anything less than an R rating or being less than about three hours.

Super Moderator

UK
    Indeed, it's gotta be a meaty film, at least 2 hours and definitely no lower than an "R". Some of the zombie descriptions and aftermath descriptions are very graphic, certainly not trendy old PG-13 material.

Plus, it's just much more intelligent and considered than your average zed flick (GAR's aside of course).

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Geophyrd View Post
    Ok, well, despite the misspellings in the review, below is a quote that says it all. Remember, screenplay by J. Michael Straczynski and (if I remember right) optioned by Brad Pitt's production company.

"World War Z, as a screenplay, is the greatest handling of the living dead since Romero’s quadrilogy."
    Can't wait!!

Of course it'll never happen (the studios wouldn't allow it), but it would be bizarre to see Romero direct it...

I've just ordered the book and am looking forward to seeing what the fuss is about
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Dying

Undisclosed

Hey Neil

I've actually heard that the Audiobook is better than the regular book. They got some stars (Alan Alda, John Turturro, Rob and Carl Reiner, Henry Rollins and more) to record the different perspectives. It looks like zombies are becoming respectable!

Oh, and I did read the book. Its REALLY good, so if the audiobook is supposed to be better, imagine how good the movie could be!
    Geo the Giant Killer aka Geophyrd aka me
    http://geophyrd.livejournal.com/

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I've just ordered the book and am looking forward to seeing what the fuss is about
    Whats taken you so long Neil? This is one of those books which paints a perfect picture of a global zombie epidemic to a scale that has never been done before. Some of the chapters/events are stunning to say the least and would look spectacular on the big screen if the budget is there. Its a must read for everyone on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Geophyrd View Post
    I've actually heard that the Audiobook is better than the regular book. They got some stars (Alan Alda, John Turturro, Rob and Carl Reiner, Henry Rollins and more) to record the different perspectives. It looks like zombies are becoming respectable!

Oh, and I did read the book. Its REALLY good, so if the audiobook is supposed to be better, imagine how good the movie could be!
    I heard the audiobook after i'd read the book (twice) and as its abridged i personally didn't find it anywhere near as good. I'd recommend listening to the audio first then read the book.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

England
    I haven't read the script/treatment in the OP's post, but having recently read the book....wow, an accurate movie of this excellent novel would be highly welcome.

I even like the original names of "Zacks" & "G's" that they gave to the deads.

BTW Wyvern is spot on, you simply cannot do this movie in the standard 90 minutes, a trilogy of 90 minute movies would be able do it justice and give it the scope it deserves though.

Ridley Scott for director? You know he'd turn out an epic!
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Whats taken you so long Neil? This is one of those books which paints a perfect picture of a global zombie epidemic to a scale that has never been done before. Some of the chapters/events are stunning to say the least and would look spectacular on the big screen if the budget is there. Its a must read for everyone on this forum.

I heard the audiobook after i'd read the book (twice) and as its abridged i personally didn't find it anywhere near as good. I'd recommend listening to the audio first then read the book.
    So you definately recon audio first and then book... Not just book
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    The audiobook is quite enjoyable. Some performances, though, sound a bit wooden. Others are great: Mark Hamill, for example, did a wonderful job with one of the most intense chapters in the book.
    It's certainly worth the trouble to check it out. I just wish some of my favourite stories didn't get dumped in the abridgement.

Super Moderator

UK
    I can't be arsed with audio books, and I'm a lazy reader...so that's gotta say something.

I say just read the book, get the full experience for the first time straight off the bat. It's a great book, basically every chapter has a really kick ass cool idea behind it, like communities at sea, or the Chinese bloke in a block of flats (I won't spoil it) or the whole Yonkers thing.

Ah mate a trilogy would really pack the punch the book does, but that's very unlikely. At least 2 hours, or preferably 2.5 hours would do to get the main things in. Obviously you can't just film the book 'as is', you have to make it workable in a new medium. But aye, 90 minutes and PG-13 is an absolute no-no for this film.

I hope it's given proper balls and proper brains and a proper treatment, instead of just copping out and pooping out a bag of crap inside another bag of crap covered in shiite.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Fecunditatis View Post
    The audiobook is quite enjoyable. Some performances, though, sound a bit wooden. Others are great: Mark Hamill, for example, did a wonderful job with one of the most intense chapters in the book.
    It's certainly worth the trouble to check it out. I just wish some of my favourite stories didn't get dumped in the abridgement.
    Is the downed female pilot story in the audio book? That's one of my faves.

And does everybody with the audio book and the actual novel recommend getting the audio book?

Oh, and are any UK sites stocking this (play & Amozon UK don't have it, Amazon US does though).
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Fecunditatis View Post
    So which way round would you suggest (audio->book, book->audio, or just book)... I'm tempted by the audio book as I can listed to a CD a week to/from work...
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    i gotta go with mz's opinion, which is just get the book first. an amazing read...only took me three days to finish it. this movie has a lot to go off of, but a lot to live up to. let's hope they do it right.