Thread: Speilberg - War of the Worlds extended version?

Administrator

England

Speilberg - War of the Worlds extended version?

Wasn't there talk of an extended version? I found the original/cinema version a bit choppy in places, and hoped an extended version might smooth/help it out a bit!?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Im not 100% sure, but I don't think there will be. I seem to remember hearing that Spielberg filmed WOTW very quickly because he was finishing work on Munich and WOTW was due the next summer.

From what I recall, there are only two or three deleted scenes because he made most of the film with digital pre-vis before filming began.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    Im not 100% sure, but I don't think there will be. I seem to remember hearing that Spielberg filmed WOTW very quickly because he was finishing work on Munich and WOTW was due the next summer.

From what I recall, there are only two or three deleted scenes because he made most of the film with digital pre-vis before filming began.
    Oh! Shame... It could have been a bit better!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Plus... Spielberg gets final cut in his contract, so whatever version we see is pretty much his directors' cut.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Plus... Spielberg gets final cut in his contract, so whatever version we see is pretty much his directors' cut.
    Not necessarily...

'Director Cuts' are a financial tool as well now... They must certainly help DVD sales!
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Are you sure? I ask because I just bought the new SE of Close Encounters of the Third Kind and it has three different versions. Including a director's cut.

There's also a SE cut of E.T., if i'm not mistaken.

England
    I thought it started brilliantly,the scene with the first tripod was awesome,and the sound they made would chill me to the bone if it was real!the ending was absolute cod sh!t though,how the hell did that kid manage to survive that massive battle even though the military were wiped out,and even worse he was just sat at home without so much as a scratch at the end,typical spielberg ending,ruined what could have been a classic re-telling of the story

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Back then Spielberg wouldn't have had Final Cut... that was the 70's, but you can bet with his string of hits in the last 30 years he has it now.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

capncnut
    I hope he doesn't release an extended version, the original was bad enough. In my eyes, it shat on the grave of H.G. Wells.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    I thought it started brilliantly,the scene with the first tripod was awesome,and the sound they made would chill me to the bone if it was real!the ending was absolute cod sh!t though,how the hell did that kid manage to survive that massive battle even though the military were wiped out,and even worse he was just sat at home without so much as a scratch at the end,typical spielberg ending,ruined what could have been a classic re-telling of the story
    Good call! That trumpeting sound the walkers made would scare the sh!t out of anyone.

And yes, the ending was very disappointing...everybody lives, hurrah!
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Twitching

Undisclosed
    there were scenes planned where after the ferry scene namely:
    - Ray, Robbie and Rachel walk through the woods and find red weed.
    - They have a run in with black smoke and climb a tree to escape it.
    - Find a new housing estate called Camelot they witness Tripods collecting humans from inside houses and the run alongside some residents that are fleeing them through the street the Tripods open fire on them forcing the trio to enter a store packed with people, once everyone outside is dusted the Tripod tears the store apart to get them.