Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diary only on 42 screens?

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Diary only on 42 screens?

Someone posted the early numbers and estimates for Diary and according to the posting Diary is only on 42 screens across the US, and only on 1 screen in Canada. The estimated box office for this weekend expected to be $245,000
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Undisclosed
    Thats like 6 grand a theater showing the movie. Nothing dazzling but alright for an indie film with such a limited release and considering that they had virtually no public campaign on the thing. I think there was advertising on myspace and such but overall with such a small release and so few people knowing about it I am not that suprised.

Not that it did poorly. No idea how much it cost to make this thing, I would not assume to much. With such a limited release though they must be looking to pick up a bit from a theatrical release and then get more from the DVD release. That is my only guess.

United States
    Not bad, but I'm sure Romero knew going in that most of the revenue would be from DVD sales.

England
    I think the lack of North American distributors interest at the early stages had some sort of say in the way its been released to theatres in the US. It won't be the same in other markets around the world. Not only do we have a dedicated Diary website for the UK, but its getting a wide release as well.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    Hooray for the UK!

I'm getting my ass down my local opening night, dagnammit (or as soon thereafter as possible).

I read the Total Film review, they gave it 3 out of 5, weren't overly impressed with it - but then again, that's just one guy who doesn't sound like much of a GAR fan. I'm predicting a 7 or 8 out of 10 or 4 out of 5 from me ... will just have to see, eh?

Bloody hell, come on March 7th!

United States
    I'm wondering if the Weinsteins are banking on using Myspace and Youtube for most of the marketing. For the past few weeks, they have been promoting Diary as featured videos on Myspace, but thats no excuse for a limited release.

Most of the reviews I have read in the local papers range in the 2-4 star ranges, not bad not great but I'm happy that its at least getting reviewed in the papers

Super Moderator

UK
    It's probably cheap-as-discarded-roadside-chips to advertise on MySpace compared to normal media campaigns, and with Diary, which isn't going to be a huge financial success - by normal Hollywood standards - they probably think it'll make more sense, particularly with the target audience who the Weinsteins are probably assuming to be a bunch of MySpace junkies - personally I can't stand MySpace, hate it.

But boy am I gonna be there in a cinema seat watching this flick!

England
    I think it says a lot about the movie industries attitude towards Uncle George when he does a lot better overseas. Are any of our US friends aware of Bill Hicks? God bless him. He was very critical of the US but was very in tune with the way the rest of the world percieved America.

MY HOME CINEMA

Dead

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    I think it says a lot about the movie industries attitude towards Uncle George when he does a lot better overseas. Are any of our US friends aware of Bill Hicks? God bless him. He was very critical of the US but was very in tune with the way the rest of the world percieved America.
    Comedian who died of cancer in the 90s, right? Dennis Leary stole his material and created his personality based on Hicks' routines. Saw him on tv, he was more critical of humanity in general than his own country on the programs I saw. Not so sure where you're going with how he was an ambassador to the world, he must have died more than ten years ago.
    Last edited by jim102016; 16-Feb-2008 at 10:37 PM.

Australia
    42 screens? I think 'limited release' is a massive understatement in this case. I wonder if they plan to ship those prints to other cities.

It seems like Romero himself is the only one pushing this movie. Interviews are popping up everywhere. He's a one man show.
    "28 Days Later came out after we started (Dawn 04). Our zombies were running before we knew what their zombies were." - Zack Snyder, LIAR.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by jim102016 View Post
    Comedian who died of cancer in the 90s, right? Dennis Leary stole his material and created his personality based on Hicks' routines. Saw him on tv, he was more critical of humanity in general than his own country on the programs I saw. Not so sure where you're going with how he was an ambassador to the world, he must have died more than ten years ago.
    hicks died on 26 feb 94 at the extremely young age of 32. one of the funniest and most vicious comdeians ever.

this 42 screens thing is a travesty. i was hoping that maybe dayton or columbus would be included but i guess not...
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Dude, don't make this an US against THEM thing, Me vs. the US thing. I get it, you're the cool, english guy. Whatever - Just don't go there.

And i'm sure the revenue Romero gets in the US are triple that of the anywhere else. Our minority is a bigger market share than anything you have in Europe or anywhere else, for that matter. I don't have raw numbers or anything, but i'm sure Americans (with the help of other zombie fans from around the world) are paying Romero's bills.

So spare me the diatribes about the importance of the overseas enthusiasm for an american phenomenon. Romero is an American. Bill Hicks was an American. And you aren't American. So in terms of zombie relevence, you're not really that important.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by jim102016 View Post
    He was VERY critical of the US in his UK shows. It came across as a love/hate thing though. Some of his stuff on Iraq (pt1) is so relevant to whats happening today even the names are the same, Bush etc

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalLoco View Post
    Dude, don't make this an US against THEM thing, Me vs. the US thing. I get it, you're the cool, english guy. Whatever - Just don't go there.

And i'm sure the revenue Romero gets in the US are triple that of the anywhere else. Our minority is a bigger market share than anything you have in Europe or anywhere else, for that matter. I don't have raw numbers or anything, but i'm sure Americans (with the help of other zombie fans from around the world) are paying Romero's bills.

So spare me the diatribes about the importance of the overseas enthusiasm for an american phenomenon. Romero is an American. Bill Hicks was an American. And you aren't American. So in terms of zombie relevence, you're not really that important.
    Who the f**k are you mr angry keyboard warrior. Why don't you try engaging people in polite conversation. Its much more rewarding mate and you might learn a thing or two. Now what was the title of this thread. Mmm. Diary only on 42 screens?

MY HOME CINEMA

Being Attacked

Undisclosed

Per screen average...

DIARY brought in $80,000 Friday. Playing on 42 screens, that's a per screen average of $1,905.

1. JUMPER: 3,428 screens -- $2,538 per screen
    2. STEP UP 2: THE STREETS: 2,470 screens -- $2,551 per screen
    3. SPIDERWICK CHRONICLES: 3,847 screens -- $1,144 per screen

Look at that -- based on per screen averages, DIARY had the third largest opening Friday. Had it launched on, say, 2000 screens, it may have opened in the top five.

No idea if the Weinsteins are planning to add cities next week. The original DAWN was gradually released (what was known as a "day and date release"), but it's a different world today. I suspect maybe they'll add a few more and then announce the DVD release, which is where the money will be made.

The good news is that this movie has been in the black for months, thanks to pre-sales in foreign territories.

Now if only the only theater playing it wasn't 500 effing miles away...

Super Moderator

UK
    Hopefully the DVD they put out will be a quality release, like they did with Clerks 2 (another Weinstein flick). The DVD for Land was a bit lackluster (and whoever edited the featurettes was a nob ). Fingers crossed for a quality double disc Diary DVD.