Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds...

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed

Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds...

Just watching this on telly....LOVE IT.

Possibly the best concept album ever made?

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    Possibly the best concept album ever made?
    I would say it's definitely the most musically diverse.

So many good things to say about it really. I just wish that they did a tour when Phil Lynott was alive because that would've rocked. I believe it's one of his best ever vocal performances.

Of course that's not taking anything away from the live show. I saw it last year and was blown away by the whole experience (shame the acoustics at the 02 were dogs**t). Burton's face model has been updated and is much better than it was the previous year and the backing video seemed sharper. The inclusion of most of the original musicans (The Black Smoke Band/ULLAdubULLA Strings) is a plus too - guitarist Chris Spedding (who produced many top acts for Virgin Records back in the day and even played parts on Never Mind The Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols) absolutely shines with his fiery soloing. The new artilleryman, Alexis James, is amazing too and has made the role his own now. Even inbetween the two sets, the onstage martian tripod interacted with the audience in the most amusing way...

It's the 30th Anniversary of TWOTW this year and I know Jeff wayne is gonna go out on a bang. I'm logged into the forum there just in case I miss any announcements.
    Last edited by capncnut; 18-Feb-2008 at 05:25 PM.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    yeah man, it is truly a masterpiece - I hail it as the only concept album that you can follow from start to finish, and know exactly what happens at each point in the story without referring to a booklet...other concept albums are so cloaked in metaphor that they are almost redundant as concept albums.....(operation: mindcrime may come in a close second there)

capncnut
    The concerpt art was excellent too. When I was a kid I used to look at all the pictures in the booklet while listening to the album and really fell into the fanstasy.

Oh and Thunderchild f**king rocks!

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    yeahhhh the artwork is insane....love it....

Thunderchild is AWESOME...."brought a mighty metal warlord, crashing down in sheets of flaaaaammmes"

capncnut
    yeahhhh the artwork is insane....love it....
    I dunno if how long you go back with the record but there was a poster magazine that came out a year or two after it's release (which I have ) and there's a couple of rarely seen paintings. One shows a handling machine in the middle of a field and throws victims into the 'metal basket upon its back'. It's my fave pic of the lot!

"brought a mighty metal warlord, crashing down in sheets of flaaaaammmes"
    "People started cheering... COME ON THUNDERCHILD! COME ON THUNDERCHIIILLLDDD!!!"

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    I dunno if how long you go back with the record but there was a poster magazine that came out a year or two after it's release (which I have ) and there's a couple of rarely seen paintings. One shows a handling machine in the middle of a field and throws victims into the 'metal basket upon its back'. It's my fave pic of the lot!

"People started cheering... COME ON THUNDERCHILD! COME ON THUNDERCHIIILLLDDD!!!"
    I think I have seen that pic, it defo rings a bell...I first got into it whne I was about 7 years old, so would've been about 1988 - it was re-released around that time and went to number one but my parents had the double casette which was pretty much the first thing I listened to on my brand spanking new walkman that i had!!!

capncnut
    my parents had the double casette which was pretty much the first thing I listened to on my brand spanking new walkman that i had!!!
    The double cassette was the first version I owned until I wore it out! I went through two copies of the double vinyl too before I upgraded to CD.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    haha

I forgot to mention - I used to work with a director who was best mates with Jeff Wayne (he was the director of CITV show Wizadora if you remember that!) anyway he said in the 70s he was with Jeff whilst he was writing the album, he said "you know there's wall to wall sound on the album, and every sound happens for a reason -not one woosh is just a sound effect, it corresponds directly to an event"

he also scripted an animated version of the album with Jeff but it never came to be because Universal bought the motion picture rights or something...

capncnut
    CITV show Wizadora if you remember that
    "Wizadora! Wizadora!"

he also scripted an animated version of the album with Jeff but it never came to be because Universal bought the motion picture rights or something...
    I've had words with the admin of the official site (who also knows Jeff) and apparently there's a musical CGI version in the pipeline. I hope that doesn't fall through.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    "Wizadora! Wizadora!"

I've had words with the admin of the official site (who also knows Jeff) and apparently there's a musical CGI version in the pipeline. I hope that doesn't fall through.

that could very well be the same thing that David was trying to get off the ground...let's hope it works out!

capncnut
    Okay Brits, new tour in 09. Aberdeen confirmed and other UK territories to follow...
    Last edited by capncnut; 11-Jun-2008 at 04:08 AM.

England
    I went to see it live in sheffield back in december,its worth every penny!excellent show,and hearing it all done live sends a good shiver down your spine

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    The double cassette was the first version I owned until I wore it out! I went through two copies of the double vinyl too before I upgraded to CD.
    a you talking about that one wiht the song that goes :

"the cahnces of anything coming form mars, is a million toone they said, DU-DU-DUH!,DU-DU-DUH!"?

that is bitchin and if so ive still got the 2 set casettes as new, ill have to give em a listen now i remember ive got em.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    a you talking about that one wiht the song that goes :

"the cahnces of anything coming form mars, is a million toone they said, DU-DU-DUH!,DU-DU-DUH!"?
    That's the one! It's a classic album.