Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Akira - Being made into a live action film...

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    "Whoa, like what's up with Tetsuo, dude?"
    That made me laugh! Out loud!

Neo-Manhattan?! I... This is so much bollocks... So instead of kind of a modern Blade Runner, with, y'know, Akira going on... It's gonna be New York?! Again?! Isn't it enough that almost half of American movies take place there, anyway?! I mean, shoot, man... It's gonna be an utter facepalm cluster-faulk...

United States
    http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-urgent...-akira-remake/

PG-13 of course!

The more I learn about this, the more antacid I have to take. They are changing "Tetsuo" to "Travis" to match the race change of the leads?

Since they are anglicizing everything about the movie why not also change the name of the film from "Akira" to "Alfalfa" or "Amos"

Douchebags.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Quick! Somebody make a picture of the famous "Kaneda walking to his cycle" Poster image and have his hair sticking up!
    Y'know... Like Alfalfa from Little Rascals...

Super Moderator

United States
    I remember watching Akira for the first time back in...oh...I guess it would have been '89 or '90 on VHS. Very good stuff, especially for an over-hyped genre. This sounds horrible, though.

This reminds of something that outraged some of the kiddies a few years back:

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Dying

United States
    To be fair, there was no way to do a live action Dragonball movie and make it true to the source material. How were they going to fit ten episodes worth of screaming and flashbacks every single time a kamehameha wave was used, not to mention the entire season's worth of episodes that always took place between starting the Spirit Bomb and actually throwing the thing?

At least in Akira they can...um... Okay, so I don't really see a whole lot of positives here, especially since I wasn't a huge fan of the source material to begin with.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Very good stuff, especially for an over-hyped genre.
    What genre, post-Apocalyptic sci-fi action drama? Yeah, that stuff is way over-hyped, son!

*Ahem* Anime is no more a genre than cartoons from America are. I mean, really, any live-action genre you can think of has been done in some form or other in anime; some to death. Anyway... I'm all things to all people.

Administrator

England
    Is production collapsing? http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49693
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchified View Post
    To be fair, there was no way to do a live action Dragonball movie and make it true to the source material. How were they going to fit ten episodes worth of screaming and flashbacks every single time a kamehameha wave was used, not to mention the entire season's worth of episodes that always took place between starting the Spirit Bomb and actually throwing the thing?

Heys! Don't lump Dragonball in with Dragonball Z. Yeah, Dragonball Z was all of that(well, the later episodes anyway). But, Dragonball was quality!

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    The Doc is right! Young Goku being an ignorant little Mowgli is the best!! Back when the series was accessible to young children, and still fun to watch. And lacked the zed. But yeah, sometimes I just don't like you, Mitchy. I'm sorry, but it's true. (still bitter about losing the high score position in space invaders)

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Is production collapsing? http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49693
    My fingers are crossed that it collapses. I just don't want to see it go live-action.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Cast being talked about - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/51971

Twitch Film are reporting that Kristen Stewart has been offered the female lead role of Kei in Jaume Collet-Serra's live-action version of Katsuhiro Otomo's manga masterpiece AKIRA. She would potentially play opposite TRON LEGACY's Garrett Hedlund, who's been offered the part of Kaneda. Gary Oldman and Helena Bonham-Carter are also reportedly in talks to appear in the film.
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Production stopped - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52505

Warner Brothers is shutting down production of AKIRA at this time, according to the Hollywood Reporter. With Jaume Collet-Serra at the helm, it looks like he just couldn't make the movie at $90 million. Sources say it's budgetary concerns, with the studio trying to bring it down to $70 million, and at least one source says it's the script, by Steve Kloves, that just isn't ready.
    -Carl Sagan