PDA

View Full Version : Raiders

IRA_LCPL
03-Mar-2008, 10:59 PM
would you join a group of raiders such as the one featured in dawn '78??

Yojimbo
03-Mar-2008, 11:15 PM
Not me. I'd rather find some nicer folks to play with!

Zombie Snack
03-Mar-2008, 11:28 PM
nope, but if the right people came along they may be invited to join my little group of survivors. :lol:

DubiousComforts
03-Mar-2008, 11:34 PM
Not me. I'd rather find some nicer folks to play with!
Those raiders didn't seem too keen on looking out for each other, did they?

I'd join up with Yokimbo! :D

Mike70
03-Mar-2008, 11:43 PM
nope i think i'd just sort of lay low and wait for them to pass on by. they aren't my sort of people in any situation i can think of.

IRA_LCPL
03-Mar-2008, 11:47 PM
Those raiders didn't seem too keen on looking out for each other, did they?

I'd join up with Yokimbo! :D

I geuss your right mate I think I would try to find a group that was slightly more looking out for one another before I would join Myself

DubiousComforts
04-Mar-2008, 02:29 AM
I geuss your right mate I think I would try to find a group that was slightly more looking out for one another before I would join Myself
How many raiders were there in DAWN? 25? They lost at least one-fifth of their group during the mall raid because they were too busy having a pie fight. If survival is key, this would clearly be the wrong bunch to fall in with. ;)

SymphonicX
04-Mar-2008, 08:22 AM
I'd probably join - let's face it in a situation like that you can't rely on anyone to truly have your back 24/7 - and I do believe there was a sense of comradery in that group. Assuming I have no loved ones to take care of, I'd probably have a blast ripping my way through towns stealing and looting. I mean if one group is bound to have enough armoury and vehicles to manage most situations, its that biker group in Dawn.

blind2d
04-Mar-2008, 12:26 PM
sounds like a good time to me!

bassman
04-Mar-2008, 01:58 PM
No. I would rather be by myself or with a small group of people I can trust.

jim102016
04-Mar-2008, 03:57 PM
Nope, they sure weren't looking out for one another in the mall. I hope I'd join up with a group that cared more about survival as a group. But, who knows, I might lose my mind after the dead start rising. So, I wouldn't rule out riding with such lunatics completely.

SymphonicX
04-Mar-2008, 04:00 PM
"what the hell are you doing playing around when someone's upstairs shooting at us?"

sounds like they were looking out for each other...?

DubiousComforts
04-Mar-2008, 05:47 PM
"what the hell are you doing playing around when someone's upstairs shooting at us?"

sounds like they were looking out for each other...?
"Don't be looking for yourselves, look for us now, let's go!" As though anyone heard him over all that engine racket.

The machine gun-toting raider was simply trying to keep those jokers focused, but they were a mess. And look at where it got him: a single shot to the arm and he's left to get torn apart.

Yojimbo
04-Mar-2008, 05:53 PM
In the novelization written by Romero and Susanna Sparrow, the bikers are portrayed laughing at those so unfortunate in the group to get swarmed and attacked by the zombies during the raid. Overall, I'd say they were typical bikers that did not give a damn about each other.

That being said, I have known a few biker gang members, and they were stand up dudes as far as I am concened, but these guys were few and far between. The majority of biker gang dudes are too whacked out on red wine and speed to give a damn about anything at all.

SymphonicX
04-Mar-2008, 06:33 PM
I was actually in a forum discussing hell's angels recently...

there's a small story behind their descent into chaos...

in the 1940s the hells angels were a peaceful group of motorcycle enthusiasts who would congregate in small towns and hold events such as racing etc...the locals would love having them down and would offer them free food and let most of them sleep on their front yards - there was a real sense of comradery and honour among the group - but the puiblic turned their backs on the hell's angels after a newspaper who were desperate for sales after WW2, set up a photograph of a biker literally swimming in booze whilst on his motorcycle - from then on the HA groups were portrayed as heavy drinking psychopaths and the public reacted very strongly to this - years down the line the group actually ATTRACTS these types of people now, but it was certainly much different back then.

Anyway you still get the odd HA group who do charity and community work and they can certanily be commended....

IRA_LCPL
04-Mar-2008, 10:44 PM
Just to let everyone know most of my American family is in one Bike club or another and they DO watch each others backs there are lawyers and doctors and everything in modern bike clubs that take care of there bros for FREE. And the Hells Angels and the Banditos hold MASSIVE motorcycle runs evry year to raise money for one childrens charity or another they even compete to see who can raise the most. So people really dont know what they are talking about anymore in the 60ies and 70ies yeah this was all true nowadays they truly are standup folk that you would want watching your back.

plus comone travling the country on a bike looting and all that it would be like the wild west

jim102016
04-Mar-2008, 11:58 PM
Just to let everyone know most of my American family is in one Bike club or another and they DO watch each others backs there are lawyers and doctors and everything in modern bike clubs that take care of there bros for FREE. And the Hells Angels and the Banditos hold MASSIVE motorcycle runs evry year to raise money for one childrens charity or another they even compete to see who can raise the most. So people really dont know what they are talking about anymore in the 60ies and 70ies yeah this was all true nowadays they truly are standup folk that you would want watching your back.

plus comone travling the country on a bike looting and all that it would be like the wild west

They're also on the FBI's list for drug trafficking among other exciting activities. Last summer they had a violent feud not far from here with their rivals the Banditos. Some dramatic stuff took place including a few stabbings. God only knows what the hell they were fighting about, probably who had the biggest cock.

blind2d
05-Mar-2008, 12:00 AM
at least it wouldn't be boring

IRA_LCPL
05-Mar-2008, 12:22 AM
They're also on the FBI's list for drug trafficking among other exciting activities. Last summer they had a violent feud not far from here with their rivals the Banditos. Some dramatic stuff took place including a few stabbings. God only knows what the hell they were fighting about, probably who had the biggest cock.

LOL comon now THAT is an important argument!!! LOL Im not saying they are chior boys just that they are not the scum of the earth as most think.

Yojimbo
05-Mar-2008, 12:29 AM

IRA, I apologize for generalizing the whole group of bikers. Certainly, there are a lot of folks that consider themselves "bikers" these days - and the prices of a nice new Harley Davidson or those super cool Buells are so high that it does not surprise me to find out that the dudes driving them are doctors and lawyers. (Who else but lawyers and doctors with the exception of maybe a coke dealer can afford those prices?)

Again, it was wrong of me to lump all Bikers in the same group. As with any other demographic, you are going to have a really bad contingent and a really nice one.

But on sheer principle, I don't think I want to be part of a group that is going to perform "raids" on other survivors.

Mike70
05-Mar-2008, 12:39 AM
But on sheer principle, I don't think I want to be part of a group that is going to perform "raids" on other survivors.

ditto me neither. just because civilization has crumbled does not mean you should go around acting like a bunch of animals - which is exactly what the bikers in dawn are, a bunch of cretin scum and wait they are worse than animals - most animals don't prey on their own kind.

now i just wonder how long it will take for some survivalist nutter to begin lecturing us on "doing what it takes to survive."

Philly_SWAT
05-Mar-2008, 12:40 AM

I dont think that in a zombie outbreak, that there would actually be a group of raiders such as the one featured in Dawn. The biker gang was more of a story device designed to ruin the sanctuary of the mall, get Stephen hurt (and killed) and force Fran and Peter to make a choice to either kill themselves or try to run in the chopper. I dont think Romero put much thought into the "logic" of the bikers behavior. I think that in real life, most biker "gangs" would in fact watch each others back, and act like a family. That statement is based on both an overall sense of what I know about bikers in general, and what I know personally about bikers that I know. I think that any group of people that went out "raiding" would have a much better plan and take more care than those bikers in the movie...their behavior was very unbelievable. I would not be a fan of raiding others survivor groups, but raiding empty buildings would be an essential activity of survival.

IRA_LCPL
05-Mar-2008, 03:45 AM
ditto me neither. just because civilization has crumbled does not mean you should go around acting like a bunch of animals - which is exactly what the bikers in dawn are, a bunch of cretin scum and wait they are worse than animals - most animals don't prey on their own kind.

now i just wonder how long it will take for some survivalist nutter to begin lecturing us on "doing what it takes to survive."

well what it takes to survive...LOL Anyway It was poor wording on my part I rather meant would you be a part of a group that traveled around on bikes or in a convoy and stayed roving rather than being holed up and all. I COMPLETELY agree on the fact of preying on other survivors is Effed up to the extreme and would not even condone the idea even though its a completely fictitious situation.

But roaming around on a Harley in a post apocalyptic world would be EFFING AWESOME!!:evil:

Legion2213
05-Mar-2008, 08:42 AM

Not purposely, but it might be your only choice in some circumstances.

Mike70
05-Mar-2008, 12:56 PM
But roaming around on a Harley in a post apocalyptic world would be EFFING AWESOME!!:evil:

yes it would be awesome. especially if said harley came with twin mini-guns attached to the front and a side car mounted 20mm cannon.

now that would be traveling in style.

note: my scumbag comments only apply to the bikers in dawn. NOT bikers in general. i know you didn't take it that way IRA but i want to be crystal clear.

IRA_LCPL
05-Mar-2008, 01:37 PM
good to go man I understood that

bassman
05-Mar-2008, 01:49 PM
yes it would be awesome. especially if said harley came with twin mini-guns attached to the front and a side car mounted 20mm cannon.

now that would be traveling in style.

With this guy, you mean?:p

http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/trailer/10013014/trailer_12.jpg

Mike70
06-Mar-2008, 01:19 AM
With this guy, you mean?:p

http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/trailer/10013014/trailer_12.jpg

jesus is that from the machete pseudo-trailer? sort of like that but where is my cannon? i need my sidecar mounted super ventilator- oh and a midget sidekick to fire it- complete with a leather flying cap and goggles, sort of like a cross between rocky squirrel and tatu.

MissJacksonCA
09-Mar-2008, 07:06 AM
Prolly not considering that's a group of people you can't expect to trust and their obvious stupidity got several of them killed in a most preventable way. That new movie what's it called? Doomsday? Yeah you really wanna align yourself with that group? Because that's what it'll come to when the raiders have nothing left to raid.