PDA

View Full Version : NIGHT 40Th Anniversary DVD Review

DubiousComforts
22-May-2008, 04:20 AM
The Good News:
The image quality of the new Night of the Living Dead 40th anniversary DVD surpasses the previous reigning champ, Elite's Millennium edition. Though there may be some boosted contrast and edge enhancement to the new release, no doubt there is more prominent detail not present in earlier DVDs. The freeze framing issues of the Elite DVD which were caused by print damage have been eliminated, as well.

40th
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/354/40thscreengrab01we4.jpg

Millennium
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/4002/milscreengrab01mr6.jpg

40th
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/3123/40thscreengrab02gd3.jpg

Millennium
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/6297/milscreengrab02ep2.jpg

The Bad News
The new documentary. Where do I begin? :rolleyes:

More to come...

axlish
22-May-2008, 02:17 PM
I loved the new documentary. It had flaws in the execution but it had new info and new interviews. What problem did you have with it in particular?

DubiousComforts
22-May-2008, 04:43 PM
One For The Fire works as a very nice tribute to the film and the people that created it, but it is awful as a documentary. There is far too much back story about the events leading up to the film, but very little about the actual production. It's supposed to be a documentary about Night of the Living Dead, not The Latent Image.

Some of the locations are visited, but they fail to demonstrate how or where anything was filmed. What happened to the farmhouse location? Great pains were taken to re-create the drive to the cemetery, yet they didn't bother to film the area of the opening scene even though it is located just a mile or so down the road from the cemetery. Very sloppy research.

It's great that the documentary includes interviews with Rudy Ricci, Rege Survinski, Bill Cardille, Gary Streiner, Ella Mae Smith and George Kosana, but apparently no one was knowledgeable enough to ask the right questions. I learned more from talking with Ella Mae Smith for five minutes then from the entire documentary. They didn't even show which ghoul she had played, even though the footage that was cut to during her interview would have shown her if they had let it run for a few seconds longer. Very, very sloppy research. There are maybe a dozen other people who were involved with NIGHT that could have been interviewed as well, but were never contacted.

The documentary extensively uses library music from the film, but doesn't bother to credit the composers. So what do you think--did they even obtain permission to use that music? Obviously, the tracks were pulled from the Varese Sarabande LP because the documentary contains the same error: a wrong cue credited for the "posse scene" is used over and over in the documentary even though it is never used in the film. Very, very, very sloppy research. (The credits at the end are a complete joke, as well, but that is another story.)

I did enjoy the extended interview with Kyra, yet it was heartbreaking to see Karl Hardman, particularly how frail he had become by that time and when he became emotional over Duane Jones.

Here's another thing: the DVD still gallery. There are some new and interesting photos included in the still gallery, but no caption or explanation of who or what you're actually looking at. Instead of cutting to footage from the film (which we've already seen a million times) why not use some of those photos during the documentary so there could be some further information from the interviewees?

capncnut
22-May-2008, 05:49 PM
Forget my earlier post, I had one too many last night. :D

40th
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/354/40thscreengrab01we4.jpg

Millennium
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/4002/milscreengrab01mr6.jpg
Okay, I CAN see the difference between the two images but hell, it's only a twinge sharper.

It was heartbreaking to see Karl Hardman, particularly how frail he had become by that time and when he became emotional over Duane Jones.
That is seriously tempting to me, as long as it isn't intrusive.

bassman
22-May-2008, 05:53 PM
I was considering picking this up when I got Diary, but judging by this I'm glad that I didn't. Waste of money, imo.

DubiousComforts
22-May-2008, 05:56 PM
Forget my earlier post, I had one too many last night. :D
Hey, where'd that post go? :D

Okay, I CAN see the difference between the two images but hell, it's only a twinge sharper.
Keep in mind that you're looking at raw source frames. Your DVD player (whether hardware or software) enhances the image so it will look different when watching the movie, usually with more contrast.

Bottom line is that the new release is worth the $15 for the improved image quality of the film and the nice video tribute to the people that made the film, but it doesn't excuse the shoddy research behind the documentary.

capncnut
22-May-2008, 06:08 PM
Bottom line is that the new release is worth the $15 for the improved image quality of the film and the nice video tribute to the people that made the film, but it doesn't excuse the shoddy research behind the documentary.
Strange really because the documentary was the most hyped thing on the whole DVD. I hope the new GAR documentary that's coming out later this year doesn't let anyone down in a similar fashion.

DubiousComforts
22-May-2008, 06:13 PM
Strange really because the documentary was the most hyped thing on the whole DVD. I hope the new GAR documentary that's coming out later this year doesn't let anyone down in a similar fashion.
I was interviewed for a Romero documentary (not sure if it's the same one you're talking about) at his convention appearance in Dallas... as though I know what I'm talking about. :D

capncnut
22-May-2008, 06:31 PM
This one.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0852951/

DubiousComforts
22-May-2008, 06:40 PM
This one.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0852951/

Nope, different one. Supposedly they are also documenting Romero's appearances on the NIGHT convention tour.

I'll take a wild stab in the dark here and guess that the trouble with these documentaries is they are simply turning the cameramen loose to film whatever they can get. How much info could I have really said on the spur of the moment, yet they found it interesting enough to video?

capncnut
22-May-2008, 06:47 PM
I'll take a wild stab in the dark here and guess that the trouble with these documentaries is they are simply turning the cameramen loose to film whatever they can get. How much info could I have really said on the spur of the moment, yet they found it interesting enough to video?
I dunno, you are rather knowledgeable about the subject. Plus it's always interesting to see various fan responses and opinions on the film. But I agree with you, these new documentaries are struggling to find new information and are trying to fit more into an already packed suitcase.

Dillinger
23-May-2008, 12:00 AM
The picture on the 40th anniversary looks a lot less muddy than the Millenium edition (which I wasn't very fond of). I did like the forward by Stephen King on the Millenium's liner though.

C5NOTLD
23-May-2008, 12:49 AM
One For The Fire works as a very nice tribute to the film and the people that created it, but it is awful as a documentary. There is far too much back story about the events leading up to the film, but very little about the actual production. It's supposed to be a documentary about Night of the Living Dead, not The Latent Image.

Some of the locations are visited, but they fail to demonstrate how or where anything was filmed. What happened to the farmhouse location? Great pains were taken to re-create the drive to the cemetery, yet they didn't bother to film the area of the opening scene even though it is located just a mile or so down the road from the cemetery. Very sloppy research.

It's great that the documentary includes interviews with Rudy Ricci, Rege Survinski, Bill Cardille, Gary Streiner, Ella Mae Smith and George Kosana, but apparently no one was knowledgeable enough to ask the right questions. I learned more from talking with Ella Mae Smith for five minutes then from the entire documentary. They didn't even show which ghoul she had played, even though the footage that was cut to during her interview would have shown her if they had let it run for a few seconds longer. Very, very sloppy research. There are maybe a dozen other people who were involved with NIGHT that could have been interviewed as well, but were never contacted.

The documentary extensively uses library music from the film, but doesn't bother to credit the composers. So what do you think--did they even obtain permission to use that music? Obviously, the tracks were pulled from the Varese Sarabande LP because the documentary contains the same error: a wrong cue credited for the "posse scene" is used over and over in the documentary even though it is never used in the film. Very, very, very sloppy research. (The credits at the end are a complete joke, as well, but that is another story.)

I did enjoy the extended interview with Kyra, yet it was heartbreaking to see Karl Hardman, particularly how frail he had become by that time and when he became emotional over Duane Jones.

Here's another thing: the DVD still gallery. There are some new and interesting photos included in the still gallery, but no caption or explanation of who or what you're actually looking at. Instead of cutting to footage from the film (which we've already seen a million times) why not use some of those photos during the documentary so there could be some further information from the interviewees?

I agree.

I wondered about the farmhouse location as well. They interviewed (hard to call it that since it was so short) Ella Mae Smith and then don't take any footage of the farmhouse location?

I also don't understand taking the time to film in the basement location and then not doing any comparison pics (then/now). And why in God's name would you film in the basement (towards the stairs/power boxes on the walls) and not do a reverse shot showing where much of the action takes place (towards where the work bench etc was in the film). Instead with Russo and Streiner standing in front of the power boxes they go to a wider shot of the same wall without Russo/Streiner. huh?

The only parts of it I enjoyed were the Romero interview (seeing some of the participants that had not been interviewed before, and the Kyra/Marilyn/Karl footage - very sad to see how Karl had become frail. But as usual he was a trooper to go on with the show - what a class act. Can't believe they couldn't come up with a better question than asking Marilyn Eastman about the makeup for the 1000th time. Streiner did have a funny story about a relative.

I'm getting tired of seeing celebrities being interviewed about the impact of NOTLD. That's been done before. How about some of the others from NOTLD instead - heck they could have gave the time to George Kosana for some of his stories.

Was that a interview with George Kosana as I blinked - (wow, it was short as were many interviews I felt).

By the way how did Judith Odea get top billing over Duane Jones on the dvd case?

DubiousComforts
23-May-2008, 01:05 AM
I'm getting tired of seeing celebrities being interviewed about the impact of NOTLD. That's been done before. How about some of the others from NOTLD instead - heck they could have gave the time to George Kosana for some of his stories.
Ha, which "celebrities"? Alice Cooper was the best they could get. The 25th anniversary documentary had famous genre filmmakers to talk about the impact of NIGHT on their own work. At least that is relevant.

Was that a interview with George Kosana as I blinked - (wow, it was short as were many interviews I felt).
George Kosana also had a few of his names/facts mixed up and nobody bothered to correct them. Isn't that what the director is for?

By the way how did Judith Odea get top billing over Duane Jones on the dvd case?
That's the least of the DVD cover's problems. Actually, I seldom recall Duane Jones being billed at all when NIGHT was broadcast on TV in the 70s. Believe it or not, the starring roles would be listed as "Judith O'Dea and Russell Streiner." I grew up thinking the character of Ben must have been played by Russell Streiner.

capncnut
23-May-2008, 01:48 AM
Ha, which "celebrities"? Alice Cooper was the best they could get. The 25th anniversary documentary had famous genre filmmakers to talk about the impact of NIGHT on their own work. At least that is relevant.
What the f**k does Alice cooper have to do with NOTLD, you are joking? If that's the best they could get then this documentary is in sad shape.

Actually, I seldom recall Duane Jones being billed at all when NIGHT was broadcast on TV in the 70s. Believe it or not, the starring roles would be listed as "Judith O'Dea and Russell Streiner." I grew up thinking the character of Ben must have been played by Russell Streiner.
Dayom. :stunned:

bd2999
24-May-2008, 04:02 AM
I don't have all the copies of Night (I have had the same copy on VHS for a long long time and I basicly wore the tape out and got this one). The movie itself is as good as I remember (not that change anything but I still love watching the movie), the image is good and the commentaries are pretty good.

The documentary is alright, it is more about the behind the scenes and things like that but I did not have problems with that. I mean it had errors with some of the things said and things they could have done (and one would hope that they would get these things right) differently or better. I still enjoyed it though. Most of the time, at least to me, the special features section is often overrated anyway so I was not to disappointed by it, but I do agree that for the Legacy I was disappointed they could not get better people. George obviously can get a hold and is friends with fairly big names in the industry, and they respect him, but I don't blame this on Romero, it has to be the company and poor planning or something like that. Or people are just tired of answering the same questions for hundreth time. Whatever.

I enjoyed the edition regardless. I always wanted a commentary with the movie, and I am not sure how the rest of you feel but I could listen to Mr. Romero talk about cow dung and be mesmerized. He just has that sort of voice (I feel the same way about Stan Lee). I really enjoyed it, but I was just going in for another copy of my favorite movie and got it alongside Diary. Overall I dont regret spending a penny of it.

Kaos
13-Jun-2008, 04:22 AM
I rented the disc this weekend, and on my brand new 67" tv it looked way better than the Millennium Edition dvd. Much clearer than I have ever seen it on tv, and almost as good as some film presentations I have seen. There is a rumor that Weinstein will finally start releasing on bluray, and since this edition is from a high definition transfer, I am fine waiting for a high def release.

Legion2213
13-Jun-2008, 09:20 AM
I rented the disc this weekend, and on my brand new 67" tv it looked way better than the Millennium Edition dvd. Much clearer than I have ever seen it on tv, and almost as good as some film presentations I have seen. There is a rumor that Weinstein will finally start releasing on bluray, and since this edition is from a high definition transfer, I am fine waiting for a high def release.

Worth it for those of us who don't actually own the millennium edition then?

Kaos
13-Jun-2008, 11:58 AM
Yes, especially if video quality is a primary concern.

DubiousComforts
13-Jun-2008, 04:10 PM
It's definitely worth $15 for the improved clarity although the image is cropped slightly compared to the Millennium edition.