PDA

View Full Version : Contains Spoilers! Prometheus (Alien Prequel)

Pages : [1] 2

Neil
28-May-2009, 11:28 AM
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Alien-Next-To-Be-Deconstructed-By-Remakes-And-Prequels-13313.html

Maybe we'll get lucky and McG will do the remake of Aliens :confused:

bassman
28-May-2009, 12:10 PM
I suppose it was only a matter of time....

Seems like I remember reading a few weeks back that Ridley Scott and Sigourney Weaver were meeting to discuss getting together for another film.

I can see it now....Hypersleep: A prequel to Alien
http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/a-m/alien/alien_shot1l.jpg

DjfunkmasterG
28-May-2009, 12:26 PM
Kind of funny about all the remakes. Lonnie Martin and I were talking about that last night on the phone and were curious if people pissed and moaned back in the day when movies from the 30's, 40's and 50's were being remade in the 70's and 80's. I am sure they were bitching, but not like today because they didn't have the internet to piss and moan about it.

Amazing how much backlash there is about remake on the internet yet they keep coming out and making money. Until people stop buying tickets, the studios will keep cranking them out.

Tis a shame really.

AcesandEights
28-May-2009, 01:43 PM
I remember when all these licensed properties used to mean things to people (as much as any piece of entertainment can, anyway), and when a sequel or prequel was eventually trotted out they were welcomed warmly because of the inherent value of an underutilized commodity (in the form of our favorite hero, baddie etc.), but that's all lost now.

As what we used to enjoy as films have become nothing more than franchises, everything that made "the next installment in the series" worthwhile evaporates.

Tricky
28-May-2009, 01:50 PM
I dont really see the point in remaking alien,the special effects were way ahead of their time anyway & its a classic,what exactly do they think they can bring new to the table except a load of CG?:confused:

Rottedfreak
28-May-2009, 02:02 PM
Doesn't need a remake just another decent sequel. I'm talking a sequel which doesnt turn into into some crap with slow motion action sequences and having the aliens mutate.

bassman
28-May-2009, 02:05 PM
Doesn't need a remake just another decent sequel. I'm talking a sequel which doesnt turn into into some crap with slow motion action sequences and having the aliens mutate.

Oh come on! Resurrection is everyone's favorite Alien film!:p

I've just seen that Ridley Scott is producing and the director is someone who works for Scott's company. At least the original creator is involved...

Tricky
28-May-2009, 02:42 PM
As much as its sacrilege remaking Alien & i wish they wouldnt, il be even more pissed off if they decide to remake Aliens as a follow up :mad:

Neil
28-May-2009, 03:31 PM
As much as its sacrilege remaking Alien & i wish they wouldnt, il be even more pissed off if they decide to remake Aliens as a follow up :mad:

Aliens is a stunning film:-
- One of the best sequels ever made
- One of the best scifi films ever made
- Great script and dialog
- Some astounding production and designs

Cameron did an amazzzzzzing job!

darth los
28-May-2009, 03:56 PM

Couldn't agree with you more.

Alien is a perfect film. There's nothing you could do to it to make it better. They can only make it worse.

And yeah, Aliens is one of the best sequels ever made and imo, surpassed the original. The only other film that has done that that comes to mind right now is T2.

:cool:

krakenslayer
28-May-2009, 05:46 PM
Couldn't agree with you more.

Alien is a perfect film. There's nothing you could do to it to make it better. They can only make it worse. :cool:

Agree wholeheartedly. Despite its age, there is not a single shot in Alien that doesn't still look as impressive and beautiful today as it is was when it was released in 1979. Next time you watch this movie, forget the story and just look at it - it is, almost without a doubt, one of the most aesthetically and cinematographically impressive movies ever made, and all done without crazy MTV editing ('cept in the helmet-cam scenes, where it works) and no ridiculous CGI swooping/tracking shots to drag you out of the movie. It was made for ten million dollars, thirty years ago, and visually it still blows every modern mega-buck blockbuster of the last decade out of the water.

Skippy911sc
28-May-2009, 05:58 PM
I loved Alien...even more than Aliens. However I still think there is a bit of a pacing issue with the film. I know the slow pace was meant to give it that tension feel but it gets a bit boring at times...and for the most part the music does give some of the surprises away...except for Dallas in the Ventilation ducts...that was WAY SCARY!!!

I would watch a remake however when you have something of this caliber to hold it up against, it is very difficult to make anything better...key word there...BETTER.

I was eagerly awaiting SW Episode I...WHAT A HUGE LETDOWN...and I could sense something along those lines for this film...so it might be better than expected. :)

MinionZombie
28-May-2009, 06:11 PM
*ugh*

Dude ... why?!

SOD OFF AND LEAVE CINEMATIC HISTORY ALONE!!!

I feel like I should be wearing a blonde wig, have mascara tear-streaked down my face, and be wobbling around hyperventilating in front of a white sheet right now! :eek:

darth los
28-May-2009, 06:30 PM
I loved Alien...even more than Aliens. However I still think there is a bit of a pacing issue with the film. I know the slow pace was meant to give it that tension feel but it gets a bit boring at times...and for the most part the music does give some of the surprises away...except for Dallas in the Ventilation ducts...that was WAY SCARY!!!

Well, I would argue what you call slow pacing can also be called, wait for it........ CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT!!!! :eek:

Which, imo is a lost art that REEEEEEEEAAAAALLLLLY needs to be rediscovered. I've had friends tells me that Dawn of the dead drags as well and as we all know the character development in that film is top notch.

capncnut
28-May-2009, 07:04 PM

It might not sound all that impressive to most people on this board but considering Cameron made Aliens aged only 31 is a bit mindblowing for me. The scope and size of that film really is in the league of a firmly established director who's 50 and on his tenth film. Aliens was his third.

bassman
28-May-2009, 07:11 PM
The scope and size of that film really is in the league of a firmly established director who's 50 and on his tenth film. Aliens was his third.

I think it would be more of his second. He left Piranha 2 and apparently very little of his work made it in.

3pidemiC
28-May-2009, 07:17 PM
This better be a prequel or at the very least a "retelling". Or else....

I say we grease this rat-fuck-son-of-a-bitch right now!

Neil
28-May-2009, 08:44 PM
Agree wholeheartedly. Despite its age, there is not a single shot in Alien that doesn't still look as impressive and beautiful today as it is was when it was released in 1979. Next time you watch this movie, forget the story and just look at it - it is, almost without a doubt, one of the most aesthetically and cinematographically impressive movies ever made, and all done without crazy MTV editing ('cept in the helmet-cam scenes, where it works) and no ridiculous CGI swooping/tracking shots to drag you out of the movie. It was made for ten million dollars, thirty years ago, and visually it still blows every modern mega-buck blockbuster of the last decade out of the water.

Same goes for Aliens. All the attention to detail is just beautiful. The fact the dropship leans over slight cos one of the pod wings opens before its counterpart. The APC with its rear wheel steering and turret that can be slung at the back. And let's not get on to the loaders :) Every thing is believable and beautifully done!

DubiousComforts
28-May-2009, 10:56 PM
I disagree in regards to the pacing. It is deliberate and creates an atmosphere of isolation and hopelessness. The dialog between the characters is intentionally kept vague in order to evoke tension in the audience. This film is carefully and skillfully set-up so that when the monster appears and all hell breaks loose, the horror has maximum impact.

All the greatest 70s films created scares in this manner. It is truly a lost art form. Like The Exorcist, people were scared shitless by ALIEN when it was first released. The only reason it couldn't outdo the phenomenon known as JAWS is because the action takes place in outer space as opposed to on the beach, in your backyard.

That being said, just imagine today's ADHD audiences sitting through a faithful remake of ALIEN which included everything that made the film great in the first place. It will never happen.

krakenslayer
28-May-2009, 11:05 PM
The more I think about this remake, the more depressed I get. I know it's strange when there is suffering and hunger and injustice in the real world to feel so strongly about something as inconsequential as a movie, but I think this announcement is very representative of the way the world is going today - the media is just shovelling out stuff we've already digested, dressed up to look as something new, essentially feeding us our own shit, and we're the ones to blame because we just sit there and compliantly munch down on it.

To take the metaphor one step further, and in a kind of anti-analogy to the Alien's own lifespan, I feel like Fox just ripped open my breastbone and shat into my heart.

MaximusIncredulous
29-May-2009, 01:47 AM

Funny that you find the duct music scary. Scott used a temp track of Jerry Goldsmith's score for Freud in that part and later decided to keep it in the film. I don't know if Goldsmith's music overall gives away anything, I certainly didn't feel that when I saw it in '79, but it is certainly one of his most strangest scores.

MinionZombie
29-May-2009, 10:03 AM
Same goes for Aliens. All the attention to detail is just beautiful. The fact the dropship leans over slight cos one of the pod wings opens before its counterpart. The APC with its rear wheel steering and turret that can be slung at the back. And let's not get on to the loaders :) Every thing is believable and beautifully done!
Plus the pacing, editing, direction and scoring are all spot-on.

Aliens never fails to get me on the edge of my seat, and my adrenaline pumping. It's simply awesomeness.

Craig
29-May-2009, 06:27 PM
...Why?

darth los
29-May-2009, 06:55 PM
That being said, just imagine today's ADHD audiences sitting through a faithful remake of ALIEN which included everything that made the film great in the first place. It will never happen.

Or even better put, It'll NEVER MAKE ANY MONEY

Which is as we all Know is the difference between a film being made or not.

kortick
29-May-2009, 10:27 PM
I saw Alien the same day I saw Apocalyse Now.
Just killing a day at the movies.

The thing Alien had going for it which cant be
duplicated now, is the sheer originality of it.
The entire movie was like nothing you ever saw.
It wasnt anything like Martian movies u grew up with.

And no matter what u had seen before there was
nothing, and I mean nothing that prepared you for this:

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg69/kortick/alien.gif

Everyone in the theater went nuts then there was this
kinda shocked quiet that followed as everyone tried to
figure out what just happened and more importantly
what the hell was gonna happen next.

Thats the main reason not to do a remake in my opinion.
We already know the shocks and surprises.

Put out an original film that can actually make u feel like u did
when u first saw Alien back in 1979.

krakenslayer
31-May-2009, 10:16 PM
Panic over, kinda. According to AICN, it's NOT a remake, but a prequel. Usually, that word would have me rolling my eyes with despair, however...

Ridley Scott has been saying for decades that if he was to ever go back to the franchise, he would love to do an origin story, shedding at least some light on how that ancient extraterrestrial spacecraft came to be on LV-421 and how Ash and the Company seemed to know so much about the alien and it's potential value to weapons tech (possibly ignoring - or now incorporating? - the AvP movies).

Basically, if the new movie stems from this idea that's been rolling around in Scott's head for years, then I personally think it might not be so bad. That is, provided they return to H.R. Geiger's Alien design and go the extra mile to get some shit hot cinematography to build that old-school organic-meets-industrial-meets-cyberpunk dynamic of the first two/three movies.

Neil
01-Jun-2009, 08:07 AM
Panic over, kinda. According to AICN, it's NOT a remake, but a prequel. Usually, that word would have me rolling my eyes with despair, however...

Ridley Scott has been saying for decades that if he was to ever go back to the franchise, he would love to do an origin story, shedding at least some light on how that ancient extraterrestrial spacecraft came to be on LV-421 and how Ash and the Company seemed to know so much about the alien and it's potential value to weapons tech (possibly ignoring - or now incorporating? - the AvP movies).

Basically, if the new movie stems from this idea that's been rolling around in Scott's head for years, then I personally think it might not be so bad. That is, provided they return to H.R. Geiger's Alien design and go the extra mile to get some shit hot cinematography to build that old-school organic-meets-industrial-meets-cyberpunk dynamic of the first two/three movies.
So there will be no humans in it? Hmm...

Tricky
01-Jun-2009, 05:30 PM

Now that does sound a bit more interesting,i was always quite fascinated by that huge crashed spacecraft!i dont know whether i'd like them revealing the mystery behind it though,its one of those things that gives you more to think about with the films as you can use your imagination to come up with your own theories & stories about how it came to be there & how they ended up with the xenomorphs on board. Still, i much prefer the idea of that than a remake of a film that really doesnt need to be remade!

krakenslayer
01-Jun-2009, 05:50 PM
Now that does sound a bit more interesting,i was always quite fascinated by that huge crashed spacecraft!i dont know whether i'd like them revealing the mystery behind it though,its one of those things that gives you more to think about with the films as you can use your imagination to come up with your own theories & stories about how it came to be there & how they ended up with the xenomorphs on board. Still, i much prefer the idea of that than a remake of a film that really doesnt need to be remade!

I think, if they put a lot of effort in, it's possible to do a story involving contact between humans and the "space jockey" race without spoiling the deep horror and mystery of it all - think of something along the lines of the mysterious extraterrestrial elder gods of Lovecraft's fiction, or the unreal encounter between mankind and the completely unfathomable alien intelligence in at the end of 2001: A Space Odyssey. I like to think of them as god-like beings that have been forced to retreat to the outer edges of the universe due to the spread of the parasitic xenomorph infestation, a race so mind-bogglingly different and infinitely more intelligent than us, yet tragically brought to it's knees by the ultimate killing machine of the cosmos.

Knowing Hollywood, however, there is a real danger of them being reduced to a bunch of wisecracking CG animations with ray guns and snappy, subtitled one-liners.

Tricky
01-Jun-2009, 06:29 PM
The derelict ship contains several thousand alien eggs. Scott suggests in his Alien DVD commentary that the Jockey's ship was a "bomber": alien eggs could be dropped on an enemy planet, and the aliens would proceed to kill the population as they spawned. According to Cameron, the Space Jockey's craft picked up alien eggs and the pilot became infected by the dangerous cargo; the ship landed on LV-426 and the Space Jockey transmitted the signal as a warning.[1] John Mollo and Ron Cobb's "The Alien Portfolio" and Alan Dean Foster's novelization of Alien state the Space Jockey encountered the aliens on LV-426.

(wikipedia)

MaximusIncredulous
01-Jun-2009, 09:33 PM
I think, if they put a lot of effort in, it's possible to do a story involving contact between humans and the "space jockey" race without spoiling the deep horror and mystery of it all - think of something along the lines of the mysterious extraterrestrial elder gods of Lovecraft's fiction, or the unreal encounter between mankind and the completely unfathomable alien intelligence in at the end of 2001: A Space Odyssey. I like to think of them as god-like beings that have been forced to retreat to the outer edges of the universe due to the spread of the parasitic xenomorph infestation, a race so mind-bogglingly different and infinitely more intelligent than us, yet tragically brought to it's knees by the ultimate killing machine of the cosmos.

Knowing Hollywood, however, there is a real danger of them being reduced to a bunch of wisecracking CG animations with ray guns and snappy, subtitled one-liners.

With today's writers I think that danger would be a certainty. A shame really as it would be interesting to see more of the Space Jockey's technology. Their ship still fascinates me to this day. Looks more like it was grown than built.

Publius
01-Jun-2009, 10:30 PM
Panic over, kinda. According to AICN, it's NOT a remake, but a prequel.

That does sound a LOT better. I would be interested in seeing something like that.

Mike70
02-Jun-2009, 12:42 AM
yep it is a prequel.

from scifiwire:

Alien reboot, a prequel, is confirmed!

Producer Tony Scott confirmed to Collider.com that he and brother Ridley Scott are developing a prequel film to Ridley's original Alien movie, with Carl Rinsch directing.

The news confirms the rumor first reported by Bloody-Disgusting that an Alien remake was in the works for 20th Century Fox.

"Carl Rinsch is going to do the prequel to Alien," Scott told Collider while promoting The Taking of Pelham 123. "He's one of our directors at our company."

Tony Scott added: "I'm excited because Ridley created the original, and Carl Rinsch is one of the family."

Scott said that he hopes to get the movie before cameras ""hopefully [by] the end of the year" for a summer 2011 release.

this info might be out there already but i am too fooking lazy to read through all 3 pages of this thread to find out.:D

bassman
03-Jun-2009, 02:05 PM
I found this article (http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/259949/the_plotobstacles_to_an_alien_prequel.html)through IMDB and thought it was an interesting read about the possibilities and problems with a potential prequel.

The space jockey situation is going to be a big problem, I think. Hopefully they make it all work together in some way. Or it could just be another AVP.:dead:

krakenslayer
10-Jun-2009, 06:56 PM
Okay, some more good news.

It's a big one this time....

Are you sitting comfortably?

...preferably on the toilet....

Apparently Fox are demanding the attached director (Carl Rinsch) be removed from the project and replaced by...

...RIDLEY SCOTT HIMSELF!!

http://www.aintitcool.com/talkback_display/41361?q=node/41361

(okay, so it's not cool that Fox are micro-managing everything like that, but come on... just admit that you are creaming at the idea of a Ridley Scott Alien prequel after thirty years)

MinionZombie
10-Jun-2009, 07:22 PM
Ridley Scott directing it makes me happier by a considerable amount (I've never heard of Rinsch) ... although I'm still not sold on the need for a prequel ... ... but at least I can say "thank buggery-bum it's not a remake".

krakenslayer
10-Jun-2009, 07:30 PM
Ridley Scott directing it makes me happier by a considerable amount (I've never heard of Rinsch) ... although I'm still not sold on the need for a prequel ... ... but at least I can say "thank buggery-bum it's not a remake".

Just to be clear, it's not yet 100% confirmed that Ridley has actually signed up to replace Rinsch, all that's for certain is that Fox have demanded he do it. The situation is complicated slightly by the fact that Rinsch is Ridely's protege, and he is supposedly grooming him to become his "replacement", so Scott himself might not yet take to kindly to Fox's attitude on the matter.

However, as much as I think Rinsch should be given a chance, I (and most others) would rather see a genuine Ridley Scott Alien, so to me this is at least a step in the right direction and I hope it comes to fruition. I wish Rinsch all the best, but I think it would be better if he cut his teeth on an original property without such a huge, vested fan interest, and leave this job to the old pro.

MinionZombie
10-Jun-2009, 07:51 PM
Ah yeah, fair enough.

And aye - I too would rather see RS' protoge used elsewhere - the opportunity for and RS return to the franchise is too great - plus he was saying recently about how he'd like to do another one.

DawnGirl27
12-Jun-2009, 08:19 PM
A prequel about the crashed spaceship would be good (something I always wanted to know more about, too), but only if RS was on board and gave the movie his special touch. No more of this 'sounds great' in the beginning only to have the finished product a piece of crap. Fed up with that and don't want any more... :rockbrow:

darth los
12-Jun-2009, 08:32 PM
Ah yeah, fair enough.

And aye - I too would rather see RS' protoge used elsewhere - the opportunity for and RS return to the franchise is too great - plus he was saying recently about how he'd like to do another one.

Imo, prequels have their place. Especially when you're a rabid fan of the film(s).

Wouldn't you like a prequel to NOTLD one day and have everything we've heard about, the chaos at Beekman's, The Cooper's ordeal, And what the hell happened in the farmhouse to cause all that carnage?

I guess it's just how big a fan someone is.

MinionZombie
13-Jun-2009, 09:43 AM
Wouldn't you like a prequel to NOTLD one day and have everything we've heard about, the chaos at Beekman's, The Cooper's ordeal, And what the hell happened in the farmhouse to cause all that carnage?

No, it'd be a rubbish idea, there isn't enough scope, and we all know what happens to The Cooper's in the end, so what's the point?

Also, it'd just look silly - a 2000-and-something prequel to a 1968 movie. :lol:

bassman
31-Jul-2009, 12:18 PM
What's this??!?!

Variety (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118006722.html?categoryid=13&cs=1) is reporting that Rinsch is no longer involved and Ridley Scott has signed on to direct!:hyper:

darth los
31-Jul-2009, 01:05 PM
No, it'd be a rubbish idea, there isn't enough scope, and we all know what happens to The Cooper's in the end, so what's the point?

Also, it'd just look silly - a 2000-and-something prequel to a 1968 movie. :lol:

Well, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it but I disagree. With all the rubbish being released nowdays how could it be any worse? And

no way it can look sillier than NOTLD 30th, it just depends on how it's done. If it was a labor of love done by one of us here I like it's chances. If it's just a money grab looking to engage in more name rape than we're fucked. (Cough... russo....wheeze....streiner.)

I am legend remade a movie that was even older than that and that worked out pretty well.

So i guess we won't be signing you up for the premeire. :p

MinionZombie
31-Jul-2009, 07:03 PM
What's this??!?!

Variety (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118006722.html?categoryid=13&cs=1) is reporting that Rinsch is no longer involved and Ridley Scott has signed on to direct!:hyper:
Ridley Scott ??? Plus Sci-Fi ???

*creams*

3pidemiC
31-Jul-2009, 07:53 PM
YES! WAHOO!

Probably the best thing that could have happened to the Alien franchise (other than Cameron coming back to direct).

bassman
14-Jun-2010, 09:12 PM
Resurrecting a bit of an oldie here. Ridley Scott recently did a Q&A and here are a few things he had to say about the prequel(S).

- He said he was always amazed that no one explored the backstory of “The Space Jockey” in the sequels because it’s so obvious in the first movie. So now a script has been written and it’s being prepped. The story has no set timeline except that it’s WAY before the first Alien so that they can fit in enough history for two movies. Scott explained that once you learn the history of how the jockey encountered the aliens, you’ll also want to learn about how he got there.

- He’s done a lot of underwater research for the upcoming movies.

- This film will go very deep into the possibilities of terra forming and the realities of what it would actually take for humans to leave earth. He then started talking sort of technically about light speed and stuff.

Taken from Collider.

Underwater scenes? I'm having flash backs of the fourth film.:shifty:

MinionZombie
15-Jun-2010, 09:44 AM
Unless he means underwater research in terms of the creates that exist in our own oceans for inspiration? Or something like that...

bassman
14-Jan-2011, 11:46 PM
Turns out....no Alien prequel (http://www.joblo.com/alien-prequel-no-longer-ridley-scott-and-damon-lindelof-turn-the-film-into-prometheus-with-noomi-rapace). Instead, Ridley Scott and his writers have taken their ideas so far....that its not really related. The new film will be called "Prometheus" and stars Noomi Rapace.

The initial draft of the script was written by Jon Spaihts (THE DARKEST HOUR) from Ridley's idea. Damon Lindelof and Scott have been working on a re-write which expands the story taking it in new directions. Apparently the two of them were instructed to go off on their own and come up with the story they wanted using the Alien DNA. Scott, who hasn't entered sci-fi territory since BLADE RUNNER went over the outline of the new story, “While Alien was indeed the jumping off point for this project, out of the creative process evolved a new, grand mythology and universe in which this original story takes place. The keen fan will recognize strands of Alien’s DNA, so to speak, but the ideas tackled in this film are unique, large and provocative. I couldn't be more pleased to have found the singular tale I'd been searching for, and finally return to this genre that's so close to my heart.”

Lindelof added this, "In a world flooded with prequels, sequels and reboots, I was incredibly struck by just how original Ridley's vision was for this movie. It's daring, visceral and hopefully, the last thing anyone expects. When I sat in a movie theater as a kid, feet raised off the floor for fear that something might grab my ankles, I never dreamed in my wildest imagination I would one day get to collaborate with the man responsible for it. Working alongside him has been nothing short of a dream come true."

Legion2213
15-Jan-2011, 03:57 AM
Ah, good. Let sleeping space jockeys lie. I loved the mystery of them and am happy they will remain a mystery. :)

Neil
16-Jan-2011, 07:59 AM
So now it's not a prequel? Good!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48084

bassman
21-Feb-2011, 11:22 PM
So now it's a prequel again? :lol:

According to "inside sources" at the studio, an animatronic Space Jockey has already been constructed and the familiar xenomorphs will definitely be making an appearance.

Also, Michael Fassbender(Inglourious Basterds) has been cast in the film and had this to say:

“Oh, absolutely. There’s a definite connecting vein,. You realize you’re part of something else, but it’s definitely in keeping with the old ones.” … “When I read it, I was like, ‘Well, okay, another Alien. Where do you go with this idea?’ And then I sort of read the script, and it’s new, yet it’s in keeping with the old traditions as well. But there’s a whole new revelation within this film.”

Aside from Fassbender, Noomi Rapace(original The Girl With Dragon Tattoo) has been officially cast and there are rumors of Charlize Theron joining as well.

So excited to see the result.:hyper:

MinionZombie
22-Feb-2011, 10:37 AM
This is definitely one very intriguing project. I'm also looking forward to seeing Scott return to sci-fi. Some of his more recent works I haven't been all that fussed by, to be honest, some I've really liked (like Black Hawk Down), but others I've not been all that impressed by (American Gangster), while others I've had zero interest in (Robin Hood).

bassman
22-Feb-2011, 12:39 PM
American Gangster was his best film in years, imho. Miles ahead of the likes of Gladiator and Robin Hood.

But yeah....a return to scifi? Consider my pants soiled.

blind2d
22-Feb-2011, 01:07 PM
Hmm, yep, definitely willing to give this one a try...

krakenslayer
27-Feb-2011, 12:05 AM
At last I think we might be getting to the bottom of the connection between Prometheus and the Alien series:

"[Prometheus] has the Alien aliens in it. The catch, though, is that you might not recognize them – at least, not at first. Remember how the alien took on canine qualities after gestating in a dog? You may even suppose that the first film’s alien was so recognizably humanoid because it had grown in a human. The same applies here: generation by generation, the creature mutates.

"As Prometheus begins, the xenomorph is not too recognizable. Sure, it has that alien DNA that Scott and Fassbender teasingly referred to, but it’s missing … well, it’s missing human DNA. Or dog DNA. All you have to do is imagine how it might look if it were to mix DNA with another alien species ... and I think we’re starting to work it all out."

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/02/24/prometheus-rumours-unbound-how-the-alien-aliens-factor-in/

So, if this anonymous source is correct, the main creature in Prometheus will presumably be the previous variant of the alien (i.e. whatever they looked/behaved like having absorbed space jockey DNA instead of a humans), or possibly even including the ancestor species to the alien, the original "pure" form, without having absorbed DNA from any other species (if such a thing is possible).

In any case, the creatures will presumably appear quite vastly different to any generation of alien seen so far (let's forget about the idiotic Predalien from that shitty AVP2, and pray this is nothing like that).

slickwilly13
27-Feb-2011, 07:57 AM
Probably going to look like very large chest-bursters. I remember a toy line from 15-20 yrs ago that messed with the concept of diffrent types of xenomorphs. I own a toy that is serpent-like. I can imagine a xenomorth with arms, but no legs and a snake-like body. I also recall a one similar one, which fits that description in a SNES Alien-themed video game back in the '90's.

krakenslayer
27-Feb-2011, 10:09 AM
Maybe the alien not only picks up aspects of their hosts but also carries the best of them on into each successive generation. So for example, when the alien gestated in the dog perhaps it also kept the best adaptations of the human host in its DNA and added the dog adaptations on top of them. So then if the next generation infected, say, ET, then it would possess the best traits of ET, dog and human, and so on.

In that case, if you go back a few generations, you could play with some interesting ideas. At some point, perhaps, it gestated in a creature with extendable jaws, being why it now has a set of its own.

Remember how everything in the derelict had a similar sort of ribbed, armoured, bioengineered look, from the walls to the machinery to the actual Space Jockeys themselves? Maybe when they absorbed Space Jockey DNA , they took on these genetic traits and developed the hard armoured carapace and metallic fangs we now see in them.

bassman
27-Feb-2011, 01:22 PM
So what about the original Alien 3 cut where it came from an Ox? I would've liked to have seen it take those traits. :p

Trin
27-Feb-2011, 02:00 PM
mmmmm.... Noomi.....

rongravy
27-Feb-2011, 02:52 PM
I'm allergic to Sigourney Weaver.
Someone tell her to die already. That's all I'm saying.

bassman
27-Feb-2011, 02:53 PM
I'm allergic to Sigourney Weaver.
Someone tell her to die already. That's all I'm saying.

At this point it looks like she'll have nothing to do with this...

rongravy
27-Feb-2011, 02:56 PM
At this point it looks like she'll have nothing to do with this...

Good. I have no idea why, but she makes my blood boil.

blind2d
27-Feb-2011, 04:00 PM
You're a strange one, ron...

krakenslayer
27-Feb-2011, 08:21 PM
So what about the original Alien 3 cut where it came from an Ox? I would've liked to have seen it take those traits. :p

The trait it took from the ox was the same as it took from the dog: it became a quadruped. I think they retroactively changed it to a dog because it seemed to be a better fit for the predatory aggression of the alien.

Saying that, its not entirely clear how much the differences in the creature were down to its host, and how much they were down to the individual creature's "job" within the hive structure of the species i.e. whereas other aliens might a warrior (like most of the ones in Aliens), or a hive drone, or a builder (both of which appeared in the original script and novelisation for Aliens), or a queen, or a lone scout (like the alien in the first movie), it's quite possible that the specific individual encountered in Alien 3 was a yet another type of specialised unit whose purpose was to protect the gestating queen, a Chaperone Warrior or a Bodyguard Drone.

bassman
27-Feb-2011, 09:11 PM
No... I understand the quadruped angle, I was just making the joke that oxes are large, lumbering animals. Which is actually the reason they later changed it to a dog...

I have total faith in Sir Ridley, but I just hope they don't dive too deep into this "genetic" thing. The last thing we need is a reminder of Resurrection.

Kaos
27-Feb-2011, 11:16 PM
I just watched the Blu Ray of Alien last night, and man what an incredibly beautiful visual style. The restoration and transfer were astonishing to me. It looked better than when I saw it first run when I was 11. (It scared the piss out of me.) It was fun watching my daughter receive the sucker punch Ridley delivers in the chest bursting scene. It was reminiscent of the impact it had on the audience back in 79.

I hope Ridley stays with the project, and quite interested in what kind of flick he'll deliver.

bassman
28-Feb-2011, 02:25 AM
I just watched the Blu Ray of Alien last night, and man what an incredibly beautiful visual style. The restoration and transfer were astonishing to me. It looked better than when I saw it first run when I was 11. (It scared the piss out of me.) It was fun watching my daughter receive the sucker punch Ridley delivers in the chest bursting scene. It was reminiscent of the impact it had on the audience back in 79.

I hope Ridley stays with the project, and quite interested in what kind of flick he'll deliver.

I agree that the blu ray is amazing. Fox really put the effort into the entire blu ray series. :thumbsup:

I think it's safe to say that Ridley is attached to this "prequel". They're set to start filming within the next few months and he's made no bones about it that he's the man in charge. Let's hope for the best.

krakenslayer
05-Mar-2011, 05:56 PM
Been reading the early draft that got leaked (back from when it was called Alien Harvest), and I'm a quarter of the way through, no xenomorphs yet but here is a guy who has been abducted by space jockeys and put to work on a newly-terraformed world. There's another guy there who's training him up, then there's this interaction:

KARIK
What's that?

He points to a building, like their quarters, set apart on a hill.

FIN
The ant farm.

KARIK
Ant farm?

FIN
Not really ants. I just call
them that. They're a species of
small encephalopods the growers
cultivate. Like ants. Meaner
than Brazilian army ants.

KARIK
Why are they cultivated?

FIN
All I know is that they've got
extreme inter-generational
adaptability and the growers use
them early in terraforming. My
guess is they metabolize new
environments into something
habitable.

You see where this is going? Interesting...

bassman
05-Mar-2011, 06:06 PM
Where did you get this script leak? Just looking at the dialogue it sounds fake...

krakenslayer
05-Mar-2011, 06:37 PM
Where did you get this script leak? Just looking at the dialogue it sounds fake...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4083772/24549638-Alien-Harvest.pdf

Pretty sure it's real. I know what you mean, the dialogue in that scene seems a little "functional" but it's not typical of the script and bear in mind that that is NOT claimed to be the current script, but a much earlier version of which the current script is only a derivative. There was an earlier "leak" that WAS fake, but this one is different.

Mitchified
05-Mar-2011, 06:38 PM
It has to be fake. It went six entire bits of dialogue without stating that Sigorney Weaver makes her "I'm either pissed off or really have to go potty" face. I love the Alien franchise, but seriously, someone get Weaver a laxative.

bassman
05-Mar-2011, 06:50 PM
It has to be fake. It went six entire bits of dialogue without stating that Sigorney Weaver makes her "I'm either pissed off or really have to go potty" face. I love the Alien franchise, but seriously, someone get Weaver a laxative.

As stated before....Weaver has nothing to do with this film.

Mitchified
05-Mar-2011, 06:56 PM
As stated before....Weaver has nothing to do with this film.

She apparently wants to:

Weaver has also expressed interest in starring in a fifth Alien film. Ivan Reitman has confirmed that Weaver will reprise her role as Dana Barrett[14] in the rumored third Ghostbusters movie due for release in 2012.

I included the Ghostbusters bit because, well, yay Ghostbusters!

krakenslayer
05-Mar-2011, 07:00 PM
This movie is set several decades before the Nostromo encounter, so it's really impossible for Sigourney to be in it. For one, she'd be a baby or not yet born. And anyway, she wouldn't just conveniently forget about it before going back out with Dallas and co. :)

Mitchified
05-Mar-2011, 07:07 PM
This movie is set several decades before the Nostromo encounter, so it's really impossible for Sigourney to be in it. For one, she'd be a baby or not yet born. And anyway, she wouldn't just conveniently forget about it before going back out with Dallas and co. :)

It wouldn't be impossible depending on the style that they make it in. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that she'd be one of the main characters or anything like that. They could easily go with the whole "we discovered this recording" or something, where Ripley would almost be like one of the audience members listening to the story. This is a horrible analogy, but sort of like how it was done in The Green Mile. In a way, it would help connect the new film to the older ones.

I'm not saying that they SHOULD do that, mind you, just that it COULD be done. Weaver is the human face of the franchise, after all.

krakenslayer
05-Mar-2011, 07:47 PM
It wouldn't be impossible depending on the style that they make it in. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that she'd be one of the main characters or anything like that. They could easily go with the whole "we discovered this recording" or something, where Ripley would almost be like one of the audience members listening to the story. This is a horrible analogy, but sort of like how it was done in The Green Mile. In a way, it would help connect the new film to the older ones.

I'm not saying that they SHOULD do that, mind you, just that it COULD be done. Weaver is the human face of the franchise, after all.

I sort of know what you mean. In fact, the kind of do something like that in this script, at the very end:

(don't click this unless you want to read the ending, although it will probably be totally different in the final film)

FADE IN:

INT. SMALL LABORATORY

SUBTITLE:
Five years later

A WOMAN sits at a computer terminal.

The crew's report from the Arrowhead is on the computer
screen.

An ANDROID sits beside her desk, facing her. His body
looks like a man's, but his head is uncovered, exposing its
mechanical, artificial nature.

The woman presses a few keys at the terminal, and the
android jerks a bit in its chair.

WOMAN
Program?

ANDROID
Primary:
Protect crew's safety.
Secondary:
Follow orders.
Orders:
Ensure ship's return.
Ensure cargo's return.
Act as science officer.
Tertiary:
Protect my safety.

WOMAN
Exception.

The android flinches and looks at her.

She presses the keys: 9, 3, 7, enter.

The android looks away, as its facial features twitch
randomly for a moment.

WOMAN
Program?

ANDROID
Primary:
Protect creature's safety.
Ensure creature's return.
Secondary:
Ensure exception 937's secrecy.
Tertiary:
Crew expendable.

WOMAN
Confirmed.

The woman presses several buttons.

A robotic arm lowers the skin over the android's head.
After some work, the arm stretches the skin tight over the
head and seals it with the rest of the skin. The arm lifts
away.

We recognize the android is ASH from the original “Alien.”

The woman presses a few buttons.

ANDROID

Collating, collating, collating...

FADE TO:
THE END

The script was very interesting, very novel and different to the rest of the series. Kind of had a feel similar to the movie Moon, if you caught that one. However, there are a few issues with it:

1) There is plenty going on and lots of interesting characters, but everything just seems like a build up to Alien without really having much of its own arc; without prior knowledge of the original movie it has no ability to stand alone. The film is totally focused on how the whole situation in Alien came to be, and it explores some amazing, fascinating ideas as it does so, but its at the expense of having almost no cohesive conflict or drama in its own right.

2) It's too oversexed. I get what they're trying to do, but all the sex (both hetero- and homosexual) was pretty distracting. I admit, I actually thought the Brokeback-style romance was good at a character-development level, but the all the sex was laid on too thick. The Alien series has this subtle undertone of sexual violence, but this is totally different and sort of cheapens it. This aspect feels almost like an episode of Torchwood.

3) There is what I believe to be a very, very vague reference to the events of Aliens vs. Predator in the script, somewhere towards the end. Not only does it not make sense (since this movie would supposedly mark the first emergence of the alien as we know it, anywhere in the universe) but it feels jarring. This script leans too far in the other direction - it all about great ideas with very little action - whereas AvP had all action and no ideas. To imagine them being set in the same universe just hurts the concept somehow.

bassman
07-Mar-2011, 06:45 PM
I've had time to read up on this supposed script leak. I didn't thoroughly read the entire thing, but i've taken a glance and seen some of the main portions pointed out on the avpgalaxy forums. Apparently it's been around for quite some time and still nobody knows if it is real or not. It certainly seems like it could be one of the early drafts, but it wouldn't be too difficult for a fan to write this up and slap the true writer's name to it, ya know?

If it is indeed one of the early drafts, I imagine only a select few things will be taken from it in the final film. As Kraken mentioned, it's too much of a build up to Alien. I doubt Scott would really want something this much on-the-nose. Not to mention the confusion over whether it is or isn't a direct prequel. Scott has said that it is(even in the liner notes of the latest Alien Anthology set), but recently denied the connection and claimed it will be it's own sci fi film.

If I had to guess, this script was only the initial jumping off point and the new scripts between Lindelof and Scott have taken it in a totally different direction. A few things from this script may remain, but I doubt this is the central backbone of the film. Still...a few interesting ideas. Just too much of a "This is a prequel to Alien!!!" direction for my tastes.

BTW....new cast member in Rafe Spall. I hear he's a big actor across seas, but folks around here will most likely remember him as Noel in Shaun and one of the Andys in Hot Fuzz.

bassman
01-Aug-2011, 02:42 PM
Lots of pictures leaked out from Comic-con. Nothing appears to be spoilerish, but im going to go ahead and say POTENTIAL SPOILER WARNING, anyway. http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=39765.0 A lot of these pics look VERY familiar....

http://www.dreadcentral.com/img/news/jul11/apro3.jpg
http://www.dreadcentral.com/img/news/jul11/apro0.jpg

Excitement levels rising. :D

MinionZombie
01-Aug-2011, 06:35 PM
Bugger, the images have already been removed! :(

bassman
01-Aug-2011, 06:56 PM
http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/get-a-new-grainy-look-at-prometheus

Of course those will also be gone by the time you click. :p

We should have a teaser before long. They've had plenty of time....

slickwilly13
27-Sep-2011, 06:45 PM
Check this out. Spoilers involved. Very interesting.

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/25179

zombieking
03-Oct-2011, 09:57 AM
Images have been removed from all the posts :(

Neil
28-Nov-2011, 01:39 PM
The Prometheus news/photos are starting to appear...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52057

-- -------- Post added 28-Nov-2011 at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was 23-Nov-2011 at 11:56 AM ----------

Camcorder trailer - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52085 (Poor quality)

MinionZombie
28-Nov-2011, 02:44 PM
The Prometheus news/photos are starting to appear...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52057

-- -------- Post added 28-Nov-2011 at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was 23-Nov-2011 at 11:56 AM ----------

Camcorder trailer - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52085 (Poor quality)

Hot damn - I'm so up for this flick!

Love how the guy videotaping it off his monitor not only didn't put the lights out in his room, but also left the ruddy cursor over the friggin' video image! :rolleyes::p

Gave me chills though - as they say on the site there, it really evokes the trailer for Alien. :cool:

slickwilly13
28-Nov-2011, 04:00 PM
The link keeps freezing my computer up.

bassman
01-Dec-2011, 02:58 PM
Several official images (http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/get-a-better-look-at-ridley-scotts-prometheus-with-these-official-hi-res-images)

http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/Prometheus5SMALL.jpg

The body in the bottom corner of that picture looks sorta familiar. Space Jockey?

krisvds
01-Dec-2011, 03:11 PM
Oh my god, oh my god,...
That 'leaked' trailer is getting me more excited than i expected.
Please be good. Sir Ridley of Scott's recent track record is a bit so-so, no? Robin Hood, Kingdom of heaven, ... Meh. I'm up for some adult, serious, Sci-fi!
(first this, then new Blade Runner after, as excited as i am it's still trying to capitalize on former glories I'm afraid)
Fingers crossed then.

Neil
01-Dec-2011, 03:52 PM
^^ It is a bit worrying that he seems to have come off the boil recently :(

MinionZombie
01-Dec-2011, 05:33 PM
Mmm ... a little bit of spoodge just came out. :p

Properly looking forward to this flick! I've gotten the impression that, while still making films with skill, some of his recent efforts haven't had his entire heart in them. The last really good Scott flick I can think of is Black Hawk Down - so, by the sounds of it anyway, he seems to be having a good time making this one - hopefully he's back in the groove again. It's not like he was making crap for the last ten years, but he wasn't making much that was memorable either.

Let's have a look at his last decade(ish) as Director:

2012 Prometheus (post-production) - properly looking forward to this.

2010 Robin Hood - have zero interest in ever seeing this. Seemed to get a lukewarm response.

2008 Body of Lies - again, had little interest in seeing this, maybe one day.

2007 American Gangster - watched it and I actually thought it was all a bit cliched. It felt like a dozen other 'rise and fall of a crime boss' movies that came before it. It was nice shot and performed, but it all felt a bit 'done before' to me anyway.

2006 A Good Year - never even heard of it.

2005 All the Invisible Children (segment "Jonathan") - never heard of this either.

2005 Kingdom of Heaven - sod all interest in this.

2003 Matchstick Men - saw it. Meh.

2003 Cinema16: British Short Films (video short) (segment "Boy and Bicycle" / 1965) - never heard of it.

2001 Black Hawk Down - I've seen this a few times now and I think it's pretty darn kick arse.

2001 Hannibal - I've only seen it once and I wasn't that fussed by it. The Silence of the Lambs was where it was at.

2000 Gladiator - haven't seen it in a very long time, but it was pretty darn good as I remember.

krisvds
15-Dec-2011, 08:45 AM
Poster time. Also, watch out; the tagline might be considered a spoiler ... ;)

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52276

MinionZombie
15-Dec-2011, 10:12 AM
Poster time. Also, watch out; the tagline might be considered a spoiler ... ;)

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52276

Ooh, I've got tingles... :)

Neil
15-Dec-2011, 05:26 PM
Ooh, I've got tingles... :)I'm sure they're creams to treat that?

MinionZombie
15-Dec-2011, 05:35 PM
I'm sure they're creams to treat that?

Ooh, you jammy dodger. :lol:

krisvds
19-Dec-2011, 06:17 PM
I'm sure they're creams to treat that?

They are creams!

NKhvFcB-dWU

(sorry, lame, ;))

-- -------- Post added 19-Dec-2011 at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was 15-Dec-2011 at 08:37 PM ----------

A teaser for the trailer? Whatever will they come up with next.
Looking good though ...

AnlFIBNy8ko

MinionZombie
20-Dec-2011, 09:45 AM
A teaser for the trailer? Whatever will they come up with next.
Looking good though ...

After the kind-of-flat trailer for The Dark Knight Rises, this barely-a-trailer/teaser-for-the-teaser has got me all hyped - :hyper: - see! :cool:

Neil
20-Dec-2011, 12:47 PM
vD7Z-CTbbKk#!

MinionZombie
20-Dec-2011, 06:58 PM
vD7Z-CTbbKk#!

These teasers are giving me the fanboy tingles! :hyper:

bassman
22-Dec-2011, 03:12 PM
If you can't wait for the trailer to be released later today, you can view it here(non-bootleg, btw): http://www.mediafire.com/?yxs82lpe1hw14d9

And this settles it once and for all. This is ABSOLUTELY a prequel to Alien.

CoinReturn
22-Dec-2011, 04:41 PM
http://i.minus.com/ibv9xYyFVzO2Ke.gif

My god that looks amazing.

MinionZombie
22-Dec-2011, 05:38 PM
If you can't wait for the trailer to be released later today, you can view it here(non-bootleg, btw): http://www.mediafire.com/?yxs82lpe1hw14d9

And this settles it once and for all. This is ABSOLUTELY a prequel to Alien.

I think that's the sound of fanboys and fangirls the world over launching arcing ropes of fangasm across their monitors...

On a less crude note - wow - looks awesome. This is going to be one of the most anticipated movies of 2012 for me ... perhaps moreso than The Dark Knight Rises (for one thing, this is a relatively unknown quantity, whereas I pretty much know what to expect from TDKR as the third film in that excellent franchise).

This has cinema ticket and blu-ray pre-order written all over it for me. Definitely.

Just that audio call-back to Alien gives me shivers and excitement.

bassman
22-Dec-2011, 06:07 PM
youtube'n it up....

sftuxbvGwiU

Never thought about the ship sitting up like we see in the trailer. You can also see the Space Jockey activating his chair. Noice.

krisvds
22-Dec-2011, 06:20 PM
Now that's how you make a trailer. Just, wow!
One concern; I really hope Scott keeps the grittiness of the original film. Let's hope it's not too polished.

AcesandEights
22-Dec-2011, 06:25 PM
One concern; I really hope Scott keeps the grittiness of the original film. Let's hope it's not too polished.

Well, so far I really like a lot of the futuristic, yet dark & industrial aesthetics I've seen in lots of the set pieces.

EvilNed
22-Dec-2011, 06:28 PM
I don't think the grittyness will be much of a concern. If I recall correctly, that's how he prefers his visions of the future (remember Blade Runner?).

I'm thrilled as well. Will there be any aliens in it? Has this been confirmed? I'd almost prefer it if there weren't any. If the original Alien remained the "first" encounter between humans and the Giger aliens.

bassman
22-Dec-2011, 06:43 PM
I don't think the grittyness will be much of a concern. If I recall correctly, that's how he prefers his visions of the future (remember Blade Runner?).

I'm thrilled as well. Will there be any aliens in it? Has this been confirmed? I'd almost prefer it if there weren't any. If the original Alien remained the "first" encounter between humans and the Giger aliens.

I've heard rumors that aliens will be involved, only they won't appear exactly as we've seen them before. So maybe a sort of pre-human styled alien? Although there were also reports from the soundstage that the classic alien was spotted, so who knows?

MinionZombie
22-Dec-2011, 06:56 PM
youtube'n it up....

sftuxbvGwiU

Never thought about the ship sitting up like we see in the trailer. You can also see the Space Jockey activating his chair. Noice.

At 44 seconds, on the right side of the frame (as the Jockey's chair is rising up) ... is that the Space Jockey himself?!

In terms of the Xenomorph itself - being that it takes on aspects of its host, will we see the 'birth' of the Alien as we have all known it for decades? Oh the intrigue...

bassman
22-Dec-2011, 07:04 PM
At 44 seconds, on the right side of the frame (as the Jockey's chair is rising up) ... is that the Space Jockey himself?!

I assume it is because of his size. If you remember from the original film the humans were much smaller than the chair, but this guy appears to be the right size for it.

This gets me in the mood to watch the stellar Alien Blu Ray. :thumbsup:

Legion2213
22-Dec-2011, 07:34 PM
I'm typing this post with one hand...:D

Looks f*cking awesome.

krakenslayer
22-Dec-2011, 10:31 PM

No way is that the Space Jockey. At least I don't think so. The Jockey had what looks like a sort of elephantine appendage on it's face, or perhaps its a bony structure connecting it's cranium and breastbone, whatever it is that dude doesn't have it. Also, the Jockey's skeletal structure and general physiology is completely different. That's just some bald guy; I'm pretty sure it's a human.

The "jockey chair" in the clip is in the process of unfolding and expanding, so I suspect we're just not seeing it at full size.

Anyway, this looks really good. The only things that bother me are the volume of CG (which won't bother me as long as it's used for mainly inorganic objects) and the fact that the technology appearing in this movie, set before Alien, looks to be in advance of the technology appearing in the original film and its immediate sequels. I love the atmosphere though. Looks like Ridley nailed it.

Legion2213
22-Dec-2011, 11:02 PM
No way is that the Space Jockey. At least I don't think so. The Jockey had what looks like a sort of elephantine appendage on it's face, or perhaps its a bony structure connecting it's cranium and breastbone, whatever it is that dude doesn't have it. Also, the Jockey's skeletal structure and general physiology is completely different. That's just some bald guy; I'm pretty sure it's a human.

The "jockey chair" in the clip is in the process of unfolding and expanding, so I suspect we're just not seeing it at full size.

Anyway, this looks really good. The only things that bother me are the volume of CG (which won't bother me as long as it's used for mainly inorganic objects) and the fact that the technology appearing in this movie, set before Alien, looks to be in advance of the technology appearing in the original film and its immediate sequels. I love the atmosphere though. Looks like Ridley nailed it.

That happens all the time unfortunately. I suppose when you are pitching a movie and asking for millions of dollars to fund it, the backers want bang for their buck and a good "spectacle"...I suppose the directors and makers also do as well to be honest.

We saw it with the SW prequels, they looked like they were set a century or so after the original trilogy, but if Lucas could have had millions of clone and robot armies, and Droidekas rolling about and massive set-piece capital ship engagements in the originals, he probably would have.

bassman
23-Dec-2011, 12:05 AM

The theory i've seen around the net is that the Jockey also has some sort of an organic connection to the ship. This could explain why his ribs/spine/etc seem to blend into the ship. Just a theory, of course....

childofgilead
23-Dec-2011, 03:51 AM
W.o.w.

MinionZombie
23-Dec-2011, 09:48 AM
I'm typing this post with one hand...:D

Looks f*cking awesome.

:lol::lol::lol:

The theory i've seen around the net is that the Jockey also has some sort of an organic connection to the ship. This could explain why his ribs/spine/etc seem to blend into the ship. Just a theory, of course....

Indeed - the almost fossil-like carcass of the Space Jockey that we see in Alien looks quite different from the guy on the right of frame there, but as you say, he's too big to be a human ... so perhaps it is some sort of 'organic growth' situation.

EDIT:

Some more tidbits of info from Sir Ridley himself:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/22661/no-xenomorphs-in-prometheus

For example...

And this one does actually raise all kinds of other questions, because if someone could, a being, could be as monstrously clever to create something like we experienced in the very first one – I always figured it’s a weapon, and I always figured that [the ship in the first Alien] was a carrier of weapons. Therefore, who is that, inside that suit? That wasn’t a skeleton, that was a suit. And if you open up the suit, what do you get inside it? And why were they going, where were they going?"

I think this pretty well backs up that at 44 seconds it is indeed the Space Jockey (out of his suit).

It's also been said that the main 'menace' in this flick will be the Space Jockey(s) themselve(s).

Oh the intrigue...

EvilNed
23-Dec-2011, 09:57 AM
Space Jockeys. Damn. They really got screwed over on cool alien names.

MinionZombie
23-Dec-2011, 11:19 AM
Some more stuff from the trailer...

http://www.ifc.com/fix/2011/12/prometheus-trailer-easter-eggs

Legion2213
23-Dec-2011, 08:19 PM
j2IfFUdy8Uw

Love the trailer music as well, very noisy and scary. :)

Mike70
24-Dec-2011, 12:04 AM
will the sequel to this movie be named "Epimetheus?" :sneaky::p:elol:

krakenslayer, evilned, and aces might get that one without having to run off to wikipedia. legion will probably get it as well.

krisvds
24-Dec-2011, 05:52 AM
will the sequel to this movie be named "Epimetheus?" :sneaky::p:elol:

krakenslayer, evilned, and aces might get that one without having to run off to wikipedia. legion will probably get it as well.

Hmmmmm. On a serious note; I'm guessing greek mythology will come less into play in this film. It reeks more of Von Daniken.
Could be a lot of fun. Looking forward to this more than Hobbit and Dark Knight.

childofgilead
24-Dec-2011, 08:30 AM
Based on what I've seen from the trailer, I'm wondering a few things.

1. I always assumed that the Derelict from the first two films had been there for a very long time. Now, in the trailer, we're seeing it crash? Is it possible that the cast go back in time somehow? Kinda shuddersome, but I can't really get how it could occur otherwise, as the Space Jockey had apparently mummified.

2. Speaking of, I know some of the Alien expanded universe gave a little bit of backstory involving them, but they made it seem like that was their appearance, not wearing any sort of suit. My personal opinion is that the covering of the Space Jockey may very well be an environment suit, but who's to say it's not organic itself?

3. I actually enjoy the possibility that the Xenomorphs may have been a bio-weapon that the Space Jockeys used. BUT..watching the trailer, you see little canisters, they look almost like the canopic jars the Egyptians used to store the organs of their dead in. And considering the long deleted scene where Ripley comes across Dallas being transformed into an egg sac, do you think it's possible that could be the fate of the crew we see, or other organisms? That they could be the egg sacs that Kane was investigating?

I dunno..I find it interesting that Ridley Scott is returning to a film series that..well..politely, is well past it's prime. While I've always been more of a fan of Aliens, I've always thought that the atmosphere of the original was almost gothic in it's setting. Prometheus looks to be a very slick and flashy update and I'm genuinely curious and excited to see what kind of answers Mr. Scott is going to throw at us.

MinionZombie
24-Dec-2011, 10:42 AM
Regarding #1 - we see the derelict fall over, not crash land. We see it standing upright reaching up into the sky in the trailer - but as we all know from Alien it's on its side - so what I believe we see there in the Prometheus trailer is the derelict falling over onto its side.

2) Methinks some sort of enviro-suit too - in the trailer we see them scanning just the helmet part.

3) It's going to be fascinating to find out where the beginnings of the Xenomorphs come from ... there's many possibilities. :)

Tricky
24-Dec-2011, 10:46 AM

1. I always assumed that the Derelict from the first two films had been there for a very long time. Now, in the trailer, we're seeing it crash? Is it possible that the cast go back in time somehow? Kinda shuddersome, but I can't really get how it could occur otherwise, as the Space Jockey had apparently mummified.

I think its possible, in Aliens Ripley had been drifting around in space for 50 years since the first film so its fine for the timeline to jump around as much as it likes with these films, it could go back 100 or 1000 years to the events when the space jockey crashed. As a prequel of sorts it can go back any amount of time before the events of the first film. Also who's to say the atmosphere on LV426 prior to it having an atmosphere processor didnt rapidly speed up the mummifying process on the space jockey? I guess all will be revealed (hopefully, I hate plot holes) when the film comes out!

shootemindehead
24-Dec-2011, 12:02 PM

Me too and I hope that the producers aren't going to shoe horn some stupid time changing nonsense into the history of the piece. The Alien franchise has been abused enough already. The impression from 'Alien' is that the derelict ship had been there for a long time. Although, there could just be a time frame of 10 years between 'Alien' and this film. That would be enough time to justify the state of the ship on LV426, by the time Dallas and his crew get there.

2. Speaking of, I know some of the Alien expanded universe gave a little bit of backstory involving them, but they made it seem like that was their appearance, not wearing any sort of suit. My personal opinion is that the covering of the Space Jockey may very well be an environment suit, but who's to say it's not organic itself?

Yeah, I always thought that the "Space Jockey" guy looked like that and it wasn't a "guy in a suit" type thing. Again, I hope there's no shoe horning going on to fit the current film.

3. I actually enjoy the possibility that the Xenomorphs may have been a bio-weapon that the Space Jockeys used. BUT..watching the trailer, you see little canisters, they look almost like the canopic jars the Egyptians used to store the organs of their dead in. And considering the long deleted scene where Ripley comes across Dallas being transformed into an egg sac, do you think it's possible that could be the fate of the crew we see, or other organisms? That they could be the egg sacs that Kane was investigating?

I don't like the idea that the xneomorph is a bio-weapon. Not sure why, I just really dislike that idea. They're too unpredicable to be a weapon of any kind. It's sort of silly. A weapon is designed to kill an enemy, not replace it with another one. It doesn't make any sense. A better solution would be that they were being farmed for some reason by the "Space Jockeys". Perhaps there slimy residue is of some use to the Jokeys? Or, maybe LV426 is just the xneomorph's home planet and the jockey's were studying them for scientific reasons.

I dunno..I find it interesting that Ridley Scott is returning to a film series that..well..politely, is well past it's prime. While I've always been more of a fan of Aliens, I've always thought that the atmosphere of the original was almost gothic in it's setting. Prometheus looks to be a very slick and flashy update and I'm genuinely curious and excited to see what kind of answers Mr. Scott is going to throw at us.

The Aliens franchise is sort of shite really, isn't it. It's been wrecked with bad ideas and poor twists. There really is only two good films, the first and the second. The third is alright too, I spose, but it's been dragged through the mud terribly. I even sort of enjoy the AVP bastard children. But, honestly, there's so much that can be done with the Aliens idea, if only there was the imagination and thr right people behind it.

sorry about the green text

childofgilead
24-Dec-2011, 02:38 PM
Agree completely, shooter..the franchise has definitely had a really hard way to go..and unfortunately, after watching the trailer again and reading interviews with Scott, I think time travel is a definite.

It may not be complete arse, but..I dunno..ever since back in the day when I heard that Tim Burton's Planet of The Apes was going that route, I lost interest in it. Not to say that time travel can't be done well, but..I'm not too sure that it belongs in the Alien universe.

I..also don't really think that Ridley Scott even really sees this as a prequel to Alien. I..kinda think that he's always been curious about that lone pilot and thought there was a story there. I..*shame*..I read spoilers..:(

edit: As for the reasoning that they were bioweapons..yeah, I definitely see where you're coming from on that one. It's hard to fathom an enemy that would be less dangerous than the Xenomorph or that they had a way to control them. Look at what happened to a colony with a few hundred, they were completely wiped out..not saying that humans are really the toughest end all be all out there in the dark, but they must have been pretty darn desperate if that were the case. Which it was in the expanded universe. And that enemy were the Yautja.

Mike70
24-Dec-2011, 03:10 PM
Hmmmmm. On a serious note; I'm guessing greek mythology will come less into play in this film. It reeks more of Von Daniken.
Could be a lot of fun. Looking forward to this more than Hobbit and Dark Knight.

ah! you got it. the mythology aspect hit me because of what we know of the story line. but yeah, you are probably right about von daniken (crazy old bastard that he is).

i was also making a play on words. Prometheus means "foresight" and Epimetheus means "hindsight."

see Hesiod's "Theogony" for the story of how Epimetheus screwed us all.

MikePizzoff
24-Dec-2011, 09:30 PM
Someone mentioned about the crash of the derelict being in this film, and asking if the characters in this film are traveling back in time: Well, wasn't it openly established that this is a prequel?

bassman
16-Jan-2012, 11:15 AM
Someone mentioned about the crash of the derelict being in this film, and asking if the characters in this film are traveling back in time: Well, wasn't it openly established that this is a prequel?

I think they're probably meaning the characters travel back in time within this film. We've heard rumors that the crew of the Prometheus actually visit Earth before life existed. Also that the events of this film somehow lead to the beginning of life on Earth.

Hello Space Jockey suits....
http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/PrometheusRapaceJockeysBig.jpg

btw....shouldn't this be in horror? I looked through several pages in the horror section trying to find this thing....

MinionZombie
16-Jan-2012, 05:43 PM
Is that a nerdgasm in my pants? ... I think soooo. :sneaky::D

Neil
16-Feb-2012, 08:27 PM
International trailer...

J4alqg9zPMI

MinionZombie
17-Feb-2012, 09:34 AM
International trailer...

J4alqg9zPMI

Just listening to the music in that trailer gives me tingles of excitement! This is my #1 most anticipated movie for this year. I cannot wait to see it!

bassman
28-Feb-2012, 09:17 PM
dxdx4Qd-_yg

The clip is not part of the movie, was conceived by Ridley Scott and Damon Lindelof, and is directed by Ridley's son, Luke.

TED Q&A with Lindelof: http://blog.ted.com/2012/02/28/writing-a-tedtalk-from-the-future-q-a-with-damon-lindelof/

Cykotic
28-Feb-2012, 09:22 PM
oh dear god that TED conference thing was nice!

AcesandEights
28-Feb-2012, 10:08 PM
Wow, that's a lot of the movie I just saw 0.0

bassman
28-Feb-2012, 10:10 PM
Wow, that's a lot of the movie I just saw 0.0

It's not from the movie. It's from the writers and directed by Ridley Scott's son, but it's not from the movie itself. Made for promotional purposes.

shootemindehead
28-Feb-2012, 10:41 PM
Guy's accent is terrible.

AcesandEights
28-Feb-2012, 11:05 PM
It's not from the movie. It's from the writers and directed by Ridley Scott's son, but it's not from the movie itself. Made for promotional purposes.

Then that is officially awesome!

MinionZombie
29-Feb-2012, 10:31 AM
Then that is officially awesome!

Tingles were indeed had!

So being that this is pre-merger with Yutani, something most go a bit awry for Weyland as a result of the events of Prometheus, I'm figuring ... therefore making a merger necessary ... or the results are so successful that they take over Yutani.

The accent's a tad overcooked, perhaps, but it's a great little teaser. You can understand their approach to the whole project from what we've seen so far, and now we're getting a sort of history lesson to come before the movie itself ... and indeed speak of the DNA of the movie itself. :cool:

bassman
29-Feb-2012, 11:52 AM
Excuse my American ignorance when it comes to accents, but what issue do you guys have with Pearce's voice?

shootemindehead
29-Feb-2012, 12:12 PM
It's faux posh and it comes off as someone trying to do a upper class British accent and failing.

Guy would probably have been better off just using his own accent.

krisvds
29-Feb-2012, 04:13 PM
Really liked that little speech.
I just hope the final film will meet expectations set by their expertly hyping this film.
If it fails I'll just rewatch Moon. That was also a fantastic 'adult' scifi.

MinionZombie
29-Feb-2012, 05:04 PM
Excuse my American ignorance when it comes to accents, but what issue do you guys have with Pearce's voice?

It's faux posh and it comes off as someone trying to do a upper class British accent and failing.

What Shoot said ... it's like he's trying very hard to be a well educated, well spoken British person. While it might be technically proficient, it's isn't the most life-like as an accent if that makes sense ... more an impression, than a true inhabiting. But then again it's far from terrible too, so just a little niggle, nothing major. :D

Legion2213
29-Feb-2012, 06:06 PM
Really liked that little speech.
I just hope the final film will meet expectations set by their expertly hyping this film.
If it fails I'll just rewatch Moon. That was also a fantastic 'adult' scifi.

Moon is sublime. Any plot holes are nicely covered over by the sheer scale of the acting by Rockwell and Spacey...and the overall feel of the movie is wonderful.

That TED conference was pretty neat though...it was an interesting look at the Alien Universe.

shootemindehead
01-Mar-2012, 01:47 PM
What the hell is "TED" anyway?

Mike70
01-Mar-2012, 02:34 PM
What the hell is "TED" anyway?

the TED conferences i'm familiar with are usually 4 day seminars where futurists across many different disciplines come together to share ideas/information.

Legion, if you are referring to something else, by all means correct.

http://www.ted.com/pages/registration

bassman
01-Mar-2012, 04:37 PM

Ah, I see. I never would have noticed.

I guess it's kinda like the southern US accents in TWD. Living in Atlanta and hearing it everyday, I can't help but laugh at some of Rick's lines. Morgan's "De-id....you ge-it....be-it" from the first episode still makes me laugh...

krisvds
01-Mar-2012, 04:48 PM
Ha. And there I was thinking: wow ,Lincoln is really good at doing an American accent. I was surprised to find out he was a Brit!
Goes to show English isn't my mother tongue huh.
Still neither Pearce nor Lincoln can ever reach the depths Keanu Reeves hit when he played Jonathan Harker in Dracula.

shootemindehead
02-Mar-2012, 08:58 AM
the TED conferences i'm familiar with are usually 4 day seminars where futurists across many different disciplines come together to share ideas/information.

Ah...ok. Never heard of it.

-- -------- Post added at 09:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

I guess it's kinda like the southern US accents in TWD. Living in Atlanta and hearing it everyday, I can't help but laugh at some of Rick's lines. Morgan's "De-id....you ge-it....be-it" from the first episode still makes me laugh...

Yeh, it's funny. At times I half expect some of the characters to stick a "YEEHHAAAWW" at the end of sentences.

MinionZombie
02-Mar-2012, 09:48 AM

Interesting ... I guess there are very, very few actors out there that can do the near-impossible: entirely inhabit the accent and voice of another country/people to pitch-perfect levels. However it is interesting that, to me, I'm very impressed indeed with Andrew Lincoln's voice in TWD as he sounds entirely different to how I've been used to hearing him on British shows - yet if you're 'on the inside' for whatever accent, you can pick the holes in it. Interesting. I wonder if these dialogue coaches are ever from the areas they're coaching for? Perhaps they could use a local to tweak the voice with them - I'm speaking generally here, for all productions.

Anyway - Pearce has totally changed his voice, and while there may be some Brits out there who speak like that, they must be few and far between ... like I said, it's like he's trying very hard to produce the accent ... ... perhaps it's more like a Brit who was raised elsewhere, but educated in the UK, so their accents have a different sound to them?

AcesandEights
02-Mar-2012, 01:54 PM
Interesting ... I guess there are very, very few actors out there that can do the near-impossible: entirely inhabit the accent and voice of another country/people to pitch-perfect levels. However it is interesting that, to me, I'm very impressed indeed with Andrew Lincoln's voice in TWD as he sounds entirely different to how I've been used to hearing him on British shows - yet if you're 'on the inside' for whatever accent, you can pick the holes in it.

To be fair to Lincoln, he does a good enough job that a to a Yankee like me he sounds like he's from the South, but I couldn't tell a Virginia Piedmont from an Southern Appalachian to save my life.

krisvds
02-Mar-2012, 02:59 PM
Now this is an american accent done right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tXtPygIL5E

bassman
02-Mar-2012, 03:43 PM
To be clear....I don't think Lincoln's accent is horrible. He does a fine job, but sometimes little things he says come off as funny to me for some reason...

Mike70
02-Mar-2012, 04:49 PM

the long I is the hallmark of the american southern dialect. but it has to be smooth. it gets less twangy as you go farther south. up here where i live, it's total twangsville (we sound more like southerners in cincy than northerners by a long shot). when i spoke on the phone to one of our former british members a few years ago he told me that i "sounded like someone strumming a guitar when i talked."

the best american accent of all time is still damian lewis in "band of brothers."

MinionZombie
02-Mar-2012, 05:08 PM
Interesting you mention Band of Brothers - that was the first time I knew of Damian Lewis and I was convinced he was an American, indeed there were several Brits playing Americans in that show, IIRC.

I guess it's only if you're from that specific region that you notice an imposter so-to-speak ... so for bassman to say that Lincoln's pretty much got it aside from a few things here and there, I'd say that's a pretty good score on the accent front for our man Lincoln. :)

I've totally forgotten this was a thread about Prometheus, ha!

MinionZombie
12-Mar-2012, 06:08 PM
Preview for the full trailer that is coming out soon:

umU6cenjctI

bassman
17-Mar-2012, 10:20 PM
IMAX trailer:

r1dmZ_weeK0

Viral Marketing - "Our family is growing":

qakkekmp12U

Theatrical trailer should be coming within hours....

And yeah....you saw THIS:
http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac115/minarhodes/prometheus3.png

MinionZombie
17-Mar-2012, 10:38 PM
^^
Nerdgasm OVERLOAD!!!!!!!! I'm about to Randy Marsh like ten times right now. :hyper:

I'm all overloaded on The Walking Dead at the moment, like a kid on a hundred pixie sticks, and now new Prometheus trailers to boot?! ... Mate, I'm about to implode with nerdage. :stunned:

Neil
17-Mar-2012, 11:10 PM
I'm very scared about getting over hyped about this. I mean Mr Scott's recent films haven't exactly made me feel secure about this project!

bassman
18-Mar-2012, 03:39 AM
I'm very scared about getting over hyped about this. I mean Mr Scott's recent films haven't exactly made me feel secure about this project!

He hasn't done a scifi film since Blade Runner? Maybe Legend? Regardless, many people think he's lost his touch in recent years, but I certainly don't think so. Gladiator was an over-hyped film, but American Gangster and Black Hawk Down were great films.

My point being that it's definitely not as bad as could be. Many directors returning to past franchises 25+ years later don't have near the track record that Scott has....

-- -------- Post added at 11:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

Theatrical Trailer:

HHcHYisZFLU

Q&A with Ridley Scott:

VTwVoIapW-Y

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQLKenqVzW8VSejd0uonWZolJWTTkUqE GG_WPs0CxH3dSZgU7vPtGYTRIfV

MinionZombie
18-Mar-2012, 10:57 AM
^^

You're damn right, Batman! :eek::stunned::hyper:

I suppose Neil is right, there is a worry about getting too overhyped for this movie, but I'm gonna say sod it and enjoy the thrill ride of the lead up to this flick. :) As for worrying about his latest output, I think it's more to do with a lack of real inspiration, which has kind of been alluded to with what Scott has said previously about Prometheus - he has found himself really enjoying the process of working on this movie, discovering it along the way, and finding fresh inspiration.

Too often when a director goes 'back to the well' the results aren't stellar - but from all the trailers and info, this looks stellar, I have to say. A quality production with a great-looking story to back it up, and Scott going old school to indulge himself fully in the aspects of design that so defined his earlier work (Alien and Blade Runner most specifically). I wasn't a fan of American Gangster (I found it to be yet another 'rise and fall of a gangster' movie, of which I had seen many more beforehand), but I really dug Black Hawk Down (which is his last really good movie, in my personal opinion). I had no interest in the likes of Kingdom of Heaven or Robin Hood, but this ... this I'm freakin' amped for!

I'm downloading all these videos so I can go over them with a fine tooth comb - and I'll say this for sure, the guys they've employed to do the trailers certainly know how to make a fantastic trailer! :thumbsup:

Danny
18-Mar-2012, 11:56 AM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/_proxy.jpg
that is all.

MinionZombie
18-Mar-2012, 02:15 PM
^^

HA! Excellent... :lol:

Eyebiter
18-Mar-2012, 04:30 PM
Wish I didn't watch that last trailer, it spoils the entire plot of the movie.

rongravy
18-Mar-2012, 05:17 PM
I dunno, that trailer looks pretty epic. If it isn't, then whoever edited that trailer deserves an award.
I'm down.

slickwilly13
18-Mar-2012, 05:37 PM
Anyone notice how the space jockey's body is similar to a xenomorph's?

Danny
18-Mar-2012, 07:04 PM
Anyone notice how the space jockey's body is similar to a xenomorph's?

what i noticed in the trailer:

1: the jokey appears to be some form of suit that locks around a pilot from more than one species
2: there was a flash of a semi nude pregnant woman but none of the women are shown close to having that kind of sized stomach
3: you see someone with an umbilical cord coming out of there mouth attached to a giant green leech-squid thing
4: when they look up at the roof and see it changing you clearly see something very very similar to the xenos from alien on the roof.
5: some kind of infection takes hold

i think either they are being turned INTO space jockeys or used as incubators for them

acealive1
18-Mar-2012, 11:15 PM
this is going to be a great film. ridley is the first director to encompass an entire world and not just a couple of films for a franchise. prometheus sets it up quite nicely as a prequel and theres even room for FILMS after this and being set before alien since they mentioned the jockey in alien being dead for quite some time.

krisvds
19-Mar-2012, 10:42 AM
Couldn't be hyped more.
I do agree with those that say this trailer perhaps shows a little too much? The teaser left you guessing more.
This also pretty much confirms the 'Von Daniken' nonsense inspiration. (the gods were aliens and such).
That shit works great in a scifi horror, but gets on my nerves when people actually start taking it seriously.

Looking forward to finding out just how those alien eggs end up in the space jockey's ship?

Neil
19-Mar-2012, 03:26 PM
Of course, the shame is...Surely everyone has to die? Else the original Alien film story line would be wrong? So they probably have to commit suicide to stop 'the baddies'...

-- -------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

UK trailer...

a9jRaa4Wkbk

Hmmm... Not sure if the premise feels right... It implies knowledge of this 'special' location in space, which of course was never mentioned in the films that followed!

bassman
19-Mar-2012, 03:58 PM
Of course, the shame is...Surely everyone has to die? Else the original Alien film story line would be wrong? So they probably have to commit suicide to stop 'the baddies'...

Not necessarily. There could easily be survivors that return to Weyland Corporation and report on what happens. Then of course Weyland later sends The Nostromo to the planet. Also, Ridley Scott has said before that he could, and would like to do a sequel to Prometheus. I don't think this film will tie as directly into Alien as we like to think it will. Not so much as the final shot showing the Nostromo landing on the planet or anything...

Neil
21-Mar-2012, 10:28 AM
Not necessarily. There could easily be survivors that return to Weyland Corporation and report on what happens. Then of course Weyland later sends The Nostromo to the planet.

Yeh... OK... I can buy that!

acealive1
08-Apr-2012, 02:39 PM
just by that trailer.....fassbender looks to be an android....and at least 3 of the crew look to be turned into hosts.

bassman
08-Apr-2012, 03:05 PM
....fassbender looks to be an android.....

That's no secret. Already been stated in interviews.

acealive1
08-Apr-2012, 03:13 PM
That's no secret. Already been stated in interviews.

im just going by what i see, i havent read one shred of print on the movie besides "ridley scott is making an aliens prequel". the last time i read up on a movie being made, the entire fuckin premise in the trailer was scrapped without telling the masses (sahara)

krakenslayer
08-Apr-2012, 03:21 PM
The scenery in the opening shots of that trailer is from the Storr/Quiraing area of Skye in Scotland, I have been there a couple of times and it is a truly stunning, otherworldly landscape.

Some snaps I took:

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/58239_10150271290155235_547205234_14765406_4289229 _n.jpg
Believe it or not, that is a natural formation in the background.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/58817_10150271290345235_547205234_14765408_3113189 _n.jpg

Some of the formations look a little bit like what you'd expect to see on LV-426:
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/46525_10150271289885235_7648936_n.jpg

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/46525_10150271289890235_547205234_14765400_880395_ n.jpg

acealive1
08-Apr-2012, 03:26 PM
WOWZA! its like the grand canyon with grass

Legion2213
11-Apr-2012, 08:40 PM
Not necessarily. There could easily be survivors that return to Weyland Corporation and report on what happens. Then of course Weyland later sends The Nostromo to the planet. Also, Ridley Scott has said before that he could, and would like to do a sequel to Prometheus. I don't think this film will tie as directly into Alien as we like to think it will. Not so much as the final shot showing the Nostromo landing on the planet or anything...

I agree that WY would cover up any previous disaster or shenanigans and maybe send the crew of the Nostromo to have a look many years later when the beacon is detected (by design or via rediscovering some hidden/lost files) not sure of the time span between this new movie and the original Alien.

Oh, and have you folks noticed that this and Alien seem to take place on different planets...

Prometheus - LV223

Alien - LV246

Tricky
11-Apr-2012, 08:53 PM
Holy shit Kraken I need to take myself off on a hike round there, looks stunning!

krakenslayer
12-Apr-2012, 09:09 AM
Holy shit Kraken I need to take myself off on a hike round there, looks stunning!

Yeah, the whole island is out of this world. Grab a few mates, hire yourselves a cottage for a week (you can do it pretty cheaply), and just go exploring. The place makes Skyrim look like the Home Counties.

As for Prometheus, I was reading a vague synopsis in Empire the other day, and I gotta say, as excited as it made me, I was struck by the story parallels to, of all things, the first Alien Versus Predator movie:

AVP: Archaeologists discover, through ancient human artifacts, that mankind was visited by extraterrestrial beings who were revered as gods.

Prometheus: Archaeologists discover, through ancient human artifacts, that mankind was visited by extraterrestrial beings who were revered as gods.

AVP: Charles Bishop Weyland, CEO of the Weyland Corporation, sponsors an expedition to Antarctica to investigate remnants of this alien civilisation.

Prometheus: Peter Weyland, CEO of the Weyland Corporation, sponsors an expedition to LV223 to investigate remnants of this alien civilisation.

AVP: The expedition discovers a massive alien pyramid in the ice.

Prometheus: The expedition discovers a massive alien pyramid on the planet...

Just as long as it doesn't feature a karate archaeologist woman running slo-mo into battle alongside a tooled-up Space Jockey, I'll still be there.

Neil
17-Apr-2012, 01:23 PM
Going to be interesting to see if he can match Lance Henriksen's performance in Aliens!

DOOJl5lWNfM

Neil
26-Apr-2012, 08:40 PM
JXXD34mxGM0

bassman
26-Apr-2012, 09:09 PM
I'm just being picky, but "30 years in the making"? C'mon. Scott has always said he was interested in the back story of the space jockey and was surprised it was never explored in sequels, but he's only been working on the thing for three or four years, at best....

Sammich
26-Apr-2012, 11:14 PM
Oh, and have you folks noticed that this and Alien seem to take place on different planets...

Prometheus - LV223

Alien - LV246

Maybe its like what happened with Ceti Alpha 5 and Ceti Aplha 6?

AcesandEights
26-Apr-2012, 11:19 PM
Maybe its like what happened with Ceti Alpha 5 and Ceti Aplha 6?
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/41786_315765775658_5980_n.jpg

I was just watching a bit of Wrath of Kahn yesterday.

Danny
26-Apr-2012, 11:58 PM
okay, IS this canon or not? the trailers show the things they find arent the xenos from alien, but you also see something very similar to them in a mural.

I know theres copyright shit going down or something but ive not followed this that much, IS it connected or not?

bassman
27-Apr-2012, 09:02 AM
okay, IS this canon or not? the trailers show the things they find arent the xenos from alien, but you also see something very similar to them in a mural.

I know theres copyright shit going down or something but ive not followed this that much, IS it connected or not?

They're definitely connected in the sense that it deals with the space jockey race. Whether or not it's the same jockey from Alien remains to be seen.

MinionZombie
27-Apr-2012, 09:59 AM
Well obviously it's in the same universe, but it just doesn't deal with the same characters ... there are similar character types though, but it was interesting to hear Scott describe a while back that Alien was like the blue collar flick, and Prometheus is definitely white collar. Anyway, Prometheus is clearly in the same world and overall narrative as Alien, they're just not shoving the classic Xenomorph into it.

bassman
27-Apr-2012, 12:02 PM
The head of Fox studios has made a statement regarding the rating of Prometheus that has had many people upset:

"I can assure the fans—I’m very aware of their concern—absolutely they can take it that the film will not be compromised either way. So if that means that the film is R, then it’ll be an R. If it’s PG-13, then it’ll be a PG-13, but it will not be compromised."

Also, there are some new promo images from the official site. I've posted three in particular because they should seem very familiar to fans of James Cameron's Aliens. Ridley Scott has always said that he liked what Cameron did with the sequel, but I didn't expect him to incorporate some of the same ideas. Very cool for fans...

http://www.joblo.com/images_arrownews/prometh08.gif

http://www.joblo.com/images_arrownews/prometh11.gif

http://www.joblo.com/images_arrownews/prometh12.gif

The more I hear and see about Prometheus, i'm starting to think it will be the "birth" of the xenomorphs through genetic mutation. Possibly as a biological weapon to be used in war. Maybe Prometheus will show the birth of the alien queen that eventually lays the eggs that we see in Scott's original film and later in Aliens?...

MinionZombie
27-Apr-2012, 12:38 PM
Aye, I too think Prometheus is about the origin, if you will, of what we saw in Alien ... or something origin-like.

Interesting to see those inclusions from Aliens too ... as for the rating, I recently read Scott talking about the rating and he said that they weren't particularly aiming for a rating, but he did seem to be leaning more to PG-13, which did kind of make me go "awwww", but equally it's not like Alien vs Predator, where you take two hard "R" franchises and then pussify them (with the inclusion of an atrocious script) ... so if Prometheus ends up as PG-13, then it must be 'as intended' from the script stage. He also said there's a moment to match the chest burster in terms of an audience jump, so we'll just have to see.

Either way it's good to see them saying they wouldn't compromise the film for a lower rating, but at the same time you wonder how can they be unsure of whether they'll get a PG-13 or an R rating? :confused:

Even if it was a PG-13 (although I'd prefer an R), Prometheus just looks so ruddy good that it wouldn't matter too much. Here in the UK it'll be a 15 no matter what (if only you Americans had a 15 rating, you could have something softer than an R, but not as pussified as a PG-13, generally speaking) ... I can't imagine it making 12A territory. If they had to cut The Woman In Black by a few seconds to secure a 12A, then there's no way Prometheus could be a 12A ... could there? It's all about the content of the film, naturally, but there's so much obfuscation with it all being treated as a huge secret (rightly so).

Oh, the intrigue...

bassman
27-Apr-2012, 12:42 PM
Either way it's good to see them saying they wouldn't compromise the film for a lower rating, but at the same time you wonder how can they be unsure of whether they'll get a PG-13 or an R rating? :confused:

Because the MPAA is a bunch of c*nts. The rating system is so screwed in America. Watch the documentary, "This Film is Not Yet Rated" to get a good idea of how f*cked the rating system is....

shootemindehead
27-Apr-2012, 01:25 PM
The more I hear and see about Prometheus, i'm starting to think it will be the "birth" of the xenomorphs through genetic mutation. Possibly as a biological weapon to be used in war.

I really REALLY hope this is not what the xenomorph is for. The very idea is as stuipd as a box of frogs.

For such a random, unpredicable and dangerous (not to mention reproducing) creature to be used as some sort of weapon is absolutely absurd to me. As I probably said before in this thread, you don't replace an enemy with an even more dangerous enemy, especially one that can use the current enemy to enhance its numbers AND can take on some of the characteristics of that enemy too.

The idea is crazy.

bassman
27-Apr-2012, 02:48 PM
If the opposing force is wanting to take over the planet for their own reasons...sure...dropping the aliens is a poor plan. But to wipe out an entire planet just to kill it's inhabitants? Seems like a pretty good plan to me.

Ridley Scott has always posed the question whether or not the Space Jockey's ship was some sort of bomber and the eggs were it's cargo. Perhaps he was on his way to release those eggs when something went wrong? Maybe even on his way to Earth? I think it brings up lots of interesting questions, really.

MinionZombie
27-Apr-2012, 04:26 PM
Because the MPAA is a bunch of c*nts. The rating system is so screwed in America. Watch the documentary, "This Film is Not Yet Rated" to get a good idea of how f*cked the rating system is....

Aye I've seen that flick - great doc - I was quite surprised by the content.

bassman
27-Apr-2012, 10:00 PM
It disturbs me that the thread for Prometheus is in the Media section, while the remake of THE MUMMY, of all things, is in horror.

Thangs be twisted, dawg...

Tricky
28-Apr-2012, 07:24 AM
I really REALLY hope this is not what the xenomorph is for. The very idea is as stuipd as a box of frogs.

For such a random, unpredicable and dangerous (not to mention reproducing) creature to be used as some sort of weapon is absolutely absurd to me. As I probably said before in this thread, you don't replace an enemy with an even more dangerous enemy, especially one that can use the current enemy to enhance its numbers AND can take on some of the characteristics of that enemy too.

The idea is crazy.

Agreed, I understand the plotline of Weyland Yutani wanting to exploit the Xenos as a weapon as in the second & third film, but for them to actually have been created as one? I hope they dont go down that route. I'd rather they were just some naturally occuring creature that happens to be extremely dangerous

acealive1
28-Apr-2012, 01:15 PM
the head of fox studios has made a statement regarding the rating of prometheus that has had many people upset:

Also, there are some new promo images from the official site. I've posted three in particular because they should seem very familiar to fans of james cameron's aliens. Ridley scott has always said that he liked what cameron did with the sequel, but i didn't expect him to incorporate some of the same ideas. Very cool for fans...

http://www.joblo.com/images_arrownews/prometh08.gif

http://www.joblo.com/images_arrownews/prometh11.gif

http://www.joblo.com/images_arrownews/prometh12.gif

the more i hear and see about prometheus, i'm starting to think it will be the "birth" of the xenomorphs through genetic mutation. Possibly as a biological weapon to be used in war. Maybe prometheus will show the birth of the alien queen that eventually lays the eggs that we see in scott's original film and later in aliens?...

sweet jesus!!

bassman
29-Apr-2012, 09:27 PM
International Launch Trailer. If you felt that the previous trailers may have given away too much, you should probably skip this one.

1byZkbNB3Jw

MinionZombie
09-May-2012, 10:45 AM
Rated R for "for sci-fi violence including intense images, and brief language".

http://theflickcast.com/2012/05/07/the-mpaa-rating-for-prometheus-has-finally-been-confirmed/

:)

Neil
09-May-2012, 11:11 AM
So hope this film delivers with a solid story/script!

MinionZombie
09-May-2012, 12:23 PM
So hope this film delivers with a solid story/script!

I'd say it's a safe bet with Lindelof on board, and directed by Scott. :)

Absolutely cannot wait to see this flick!

Tricky
09-May-2012, 01:49 PM
There was almost some pant jizzing when I saw the 3D trailer for this before the Avengers, cant wait! :cool:

MinionZombie
09-May-2012, 04:30 PM
There was almost some pant jizzing when I saw the 3D trailer for this before the Avengers, cant wait! :cool:

Oh hell yes. Can't recall much '3D-ness' from the trailer (but perhaps it was a separate rush job/conversion of the 2D one) ... but yeah man, seeing that on the big screen gave me chills. The only way to amp the chills even more would have been to show the original teaser on the big screen ... that music, the editing, the imagery ... oh my. :)

krisvds
17-May-2012, 04:16 PM
Oh yeah! Just found out this opens in Belgium on May 30th. Can't wait.
Sweet new poster here:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/coolproduction/ckeditor_assets/pictures/7089/original/Prometheus-International-Poster.jpg?1337267411

Neil
30-May-2012, 12:16 PM
So reviews seem to be suggesting good, but not great...

MinionZombie
30-May-2012, 06:35 PM
So reviews seem to be suggesting good, but not great...

Some folks getting too excited over it with anticipation?

I'm going on a media blackout over the flick now - should be seeing it on Friday night. Really up for the movie - but resisting the temptation to view a whole slew of clips released for it. I watched every single clip and trailer and featurette relating to Hobo With A Shotgun in advance of actually seeing it, which spoiled my first viewing as I'd seen so much of the movie as a result (however it still became my personal favourite of 2011), so I learned my lesson from that. I've enjoyed numerous trailers, and things like the TED Talk with Weyland or the David promo, but I've been reducing my anticipatory intake over the last couple of weeks - and as I said, now it's a blackout. Well, okay, aside from the introductory thing on Sky Movies that's doing the rounds (although no doubt every piece of info in that I'll already know ... so it'll just get me in the mood).

I'll shut up now. :p

shootemindehead
31-May-2012, 01:31 AM
I can say that I know absolutely bugger all about this flick. I've avoided everything.

Should be seeing it either Friday or Saturday.

I really hope they don't f*ck it up. The Aliens franchise has been hurt badly enough already.

krisvds
31-May-2012, 08:06 AM
Seen it ....

And while it's (very) good it's just not that great. Check your expectations and you will be fine if you're a fan of the genre.
The visuals are brilliant and the build up to the crazy finale is tense and full of suspense.
The trouble lies with the script; it's full of holes and leads to a very obvious 'there will be a sequel' moment. The many many nods to alien AND the sequels are annoying as well.
Which is dissappointing. It's hard to discuss without giving away too much but rest assured; you are in for a smarter than average big blockbuster.

AcesandEights
31-May-2012, 03:09 PM
Seen it ....

And while it's (very) good it's just not that great. Check your expectations and you will be fine if you're a fan of the genre.

First off, thanks for the spoiler-free review! Always good advice when it comes to blockbusters to check expectations at the ticket counter.

you are in for a smarter than average big blockbuster.
Honestly, if it's pretty decent scifi and smarter than average, that's pretty rare, so hopefully I'll enjoy it.

Too bad I have to wait another week for it to hit the theaters here.

shootemindehead
31-May-2012, 09:55 PM
How's that Aces? I thought you Yankees got everything before we did over here. Hollywood productions anyway.

EvilNed
01-Jun-2012, 06:44 AM
It opens up in Sweden today. I'm seeing it tonight.

Danny
01-Jun-2012, 07:13 AM
im having to roll my eyes in distain at some reviews complaining- Just like with the f*cking thing prequel from last year- that it "feels like its setting up another movie at the end".

yeah. ITS CALLED F*CKING ALIEN.

MinionZombie
01-Jun-2012, 09:26 AM
im having to roll my eyes in distain at some reviews complaining- Just like with the f*cking thing prequel from last year- that it "feels like its setting up another movie at the end".

:lol::lol::lol:

Goddamn that made me giggle. :D

Naturally they'd want to do another Prometheus, but aye, Danny's hit the nail on the head right there.

Going to be seeing it tonight in 3D, will report back to the good ship HPOTD with my findings tomorrow...

krisvds
01-Jun-2012, 11:25 AM

lol

Still, have you seen it Danny? If you have I'm sure you'll agree the movie they are setting up in Prometheus is definitely Prometheus 2.
I'm not complaining though. Had a great time with it. Scott had some pretty big shoes to fill, namely his own, but did a good job. I'm ready for more, and when you see it you will have to agree the script leaves plenty of room for that. In fact it's not really a straight prequel to alien come to think of it ...

bassman
01-Jun-2012, 12:43 PM
From the reviews i've read and the people i've talked to, it sounds like comparing this movie as a straight prequel to Alien may actually hurt it's chances. People are expecting it to be a direct descendant of Alien when it's actually something different, just set in the same universe.

In a nutshell: Don't expect Ridley Scott's 'Alien 2' and you'll find it's a decent little slice of science fiction.

Danny
01-Jun-2012, 01:26 PM
lol

Still, have you seen it Danny? If you have I'm sure you'll agree the movie they are setting up in Prometheus is definitely Prometheus 2.
I'm not complaining though. Had a great time with it. Scott had some pretty big shoes to fill, namely his own, but did a good job. I'm ready for more, and when you see it you will have to agree the script leaves plenty of room for that. In fact it's not really a straight prequel to alien come to think of it ...

true but its like people who are complaining the trailer spoils that "people will fight and get killed off by an alien". At a certain point you are there for the journey and the character interaction and the endings a moot point. particularly in horror of all things.

capncnut
01-Jun-2012, 11:43 PM
From the reviews i've read and the people i've talked to, it sounds like comparing this movie as a straight prequel to Alien may actually hurt it's chances. People are expecting it to be a direct descendant of Alien when it's actually something different, just set in the same universe.
I can tell you now that Prometheus is entirely of the same stock as Alien. It can't be escaped. Zeta Reticuli, Archeron, LV-223, etc. I would even go as far to say that it plunders heavily from the original story in many ways and redelivers differently, while making it a direct prequel to Alien.

Shameless self-promotion (http://dalloworks.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/review-prometheus.html) :o

It's victim of its own hype but still a damn good flick regardless. I'm off to see it again next week. I was going to go again today but couldn't find anywhere local that was showing it without all the 3D bollocks, which is my preference.

slickwilly13
02-Jun-2012, 03:14 AM
A question for those who have watched it in 3d, how would you rate the quality compared to other movies shown in 3d?

krisvds
02-Jun-2012, 06:03 AM
I can tell you now that Prometheus is entirely of the same stock as Alien. It can't be escaped. Zeta Reticuli, Archeron, LV-223, etc. I would even go as far to say that it plunders heavily from the original story in many ways and redelivers differently, while making it a direct prequel to Alien.

Yeah, it IS of the same stock, but I think many Alien-fans will leave the theatre thinking it doesn't lead as directly into 'Alien' as the term 'prequel' generally implies. Not in a 'the thing' sort of way.
If anything, the script leaves more than enough room to lead into a direct sequel than into the first Alien.

@ slick. I didn't have much of a choice as the local cinema only showed the 3d version. I'm not a big fan of 3D and to me, only the 'scotland' scenes 'worked.' The rest, not so much. The film demands to be seen on a big screen as its visuals are its main quality (the plot, not so much ...) but I still don't see the benefits of this whole 3D thing.

EvilNed
02-Jun-2012, 11:04 AM
I will write more when I get home,

but

(spoilers ahead)

But I am disappointed in the fact that had they only switched a few details around (VERY few!) this could have linked DIRECTLY into Alien. I am simply astounded by the fact that they didn't. It seems so pointless to build up sooo much, and yet not lead up to Alien.

Why was the planet called LV-223 instead of LV-426? It looked exactly the same, anyway.

The Engineer should have been left to die in the pilot seat, rather than go off and chase Noomi.

If it weren't for those two, minor things, this could have tied directly into what we saw in Alien. But it didn't and now somehow the plot seems rather... pointless.

There were also a myriad of unanswered subplots going on.

- Why did David poison Charlie?

- Why did one crewmember turn into a zombiespider? It didn't pay off.

- Why was nobody on the crew surprised when Peter Weyland and his possé suddenly turned up out of nowhere?

krakenslayer
02-Jun-2012, 11:55 AM
I had a whole massive review written out that expained my thoughts on the film and addressed some of EvilNeds concerns (basically I disagree that the whole "not lining up with Alien perfectly" being a bad thing, maybe I'll explain someday when I can be bothered reconstructing the several hundred words I lost in response to it), but lost it all when my browser crashed so I'm just going to copypaste a review I wrote yesterday, elsewhere on the internet:

Went to a midnight showing of this last night. I have to say (contrary to the thrashing it's getting on some corners of the internet) with my strategically-lowered expectations, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It has some downsides (MINOR SPOILERS AHEAD) - the ancient astronauts thing plays out VERY predictably, it's kinda slow in parts, there are one or two GODAWFUL lines of dialogue, Guy Pearce's whole perfomance is a joke, and the massive potential the of Space Jockey characters is somewhat (although, not totally) squandered.

It also doesn't feel anything like an Alien film - in place of claustrophobia and suffocating terror, we get characters traipsing back and forth over (beautiful) alien vistas and chillaxing in their luxuriant open-plan starship - but that's not altogether a bad thing here: for the first time in the franchise we have a film that is happy to be it's own thing, without trying to outdo what's been done before, without trying to be all things to all fans. It has the balls to be it's own film, and I can respect that; it has it's own unique atmosphere and vibe. In an age of Hollywood blockbusters constantly trying to out-amp each other with bigger, faster, shinier, Prometheus bucks the trend. Yes, it is a huge budget film. Yes, there are explosions and massively expensive action sequences, but it's not bursting with them. In its editing, pacing and direction it has much more in common with slow-burn 70s-80s sci-fi like The Thing, or even The Andromeda Strain, than it does with modern adrenaline-obsessed flicks like Resident Evil or Transformers. It's a beautiful-looking film too, not just in terms of effects (which, although often CGI, are amazing) but just the beauty of the cinematography. You know how in Suspiria, somehow every single frame looks like a perfectly-rendered oil painting even though it was shot for, in Hollywood terms, peanuts? Well this movie has some of the same magic, but on a huge scale. It looks like one of those awesome 70s sci-fi novel covers, and I've not even seen the 3D version yet.

I liked the characters, although some of them weren't developed enough, they all seemed like real people and there was an interesting mix of Alien-style blue-collar workers and Star Trek-esque professionals. Noomi Rapace's character is a refreshing change from both a) the typical withering scream queen and b) the cartoonish back-flipping, high-kicking femme-fatale that male sci-fi writers nowadays seem to feel the need to incorporate into everything in order to avoid accusations of "a". She's a sweet, down to earth character who acts believably (both in terror and great strength) to unbelievable danger and emotional crisis. Michael Fassbender, though, is OUTSTANDING and totally steals the show as David, the ship's android. Aliens played the moral-ambiguity of the Company-droid pretty well, but this movie takes it to a whole other level and he kept me guessing right to the end.

The creatures are pretty good. Although they lack the exact biomechanical detail of the Xenomorph, they still look like Giger must have been involved at some point in the design phase (I'm guessing he was) and they continue to tie in with the Freudian sexual metaphor of the other films,in different ways. You've seen one of them in the trailer - the worm thing - and there are at least three other types shown (Space Jockeys not included), and each of them forming a sort of evolutionary prototype to forms seen later in the chronology. It's fascinating to see how they get closer and closer, over the course of the film, to the creatures we know and love, and how the narrative toys with your expectations over it: I won't say too much, but a couple of times you see something that looks completely new in form, until it exhibits some chillingly familiar behaviour...

The move is not a constant battle between humans and aliens, though. I know I've already said that, but it's best to get that into your head now, and get your expectations under control. The whole first half of the movie is basically characters exploring and discussing ideas, so just don't be going in expecting Aliens.

I was worried the film would spoil the sense of mystery that the first film built up around the origins of the Jockeys and Xenos. Whilst, to some extent, this is the case, it actually throws open *more questions than it answers, and pretty interesting ones too. Whatever people think about it, I guarantee this movie will have people discussing aspects of it for decades to come.

Yeah, basically, in a nutshell: worthy.

MinionZombie
02-Jun-2012, 11:59 AM
Regarding one of your questions Ned...

David and Charlie are having that conversation, and they're essentially asking the same questions and seeking to do things in the same way, but from different perspectives. The whole 'meet your maker' and 'because we could' stuff ... and then David asks 'how far would you go?' and Charlie responds saying he'd do anything - and of course David has his own orders (working with Weyland and Vickers), so in a way, Charlie almost gives David the nod to do the 'finger dip' to see what happens after he's infected. Charlie doesn't know of course, but again that circles back to the 'how far would you go' in search of answers thing.

Also, I agree, I did think the reveal of Weyland was surprisingly not surprising at all - it was obvious David had been talking with Weyland in the cryo unit, and with Vickers and him referring to him as "him" rather than Weyland didn't hide the reveal at all. I guessed who it was in the box immediately - so that was a tad strange/surprising that they didn't do much with that.

Dug the film though - one thing to think about when going in, is that it's all about beginnings...

EvilNed
02-Jun-2012, 01:29 PM
Ok, I guess I'm about ready to lay down the hammer. I'm going to write a review here and keep it spoilerfree, but there will be a section marked by SPOILERS where I'll take the oppertunity to talk to those who've already seen the film.

First and foremost, it was a great film. It was visually beautiful and the design was top-notch. A refreshing sci-fi movie that's quite dissimilar to most other big budget sci-fis out there in it's tempo, it's focus on the mystical and discovery rather than action and the fantastic. I'd probably classify this as a straight up sci-fi thriller. There are a few brief action scenes, but most of them seem unnecessary to the plot itself.

There are some chilling parts of the film and what I really dug about this film was that it succesfully managed to focus on some things that really strike me as "alienesque", and that is Bodily Horror. There are parts of this film that made me irk and were really grosse, despite not being overly gory. There are several moneyshots and memorable scenes that made me go "Wow" when watching it.

The characters were a double edged sword. The main characters were all great. Noomi is damn hot in this one and a great actor to boot. She works really well as the innocent and curious scientist. Michael Fassbender as David was great as well, one really memorable character. You never really knew where you had him, and without him the plot wouldn't have been the same at all. He was cold at all times, but trying to project the image of politeness, but did it in such an ambiguous way that you kept guessing his motives.

But one thing I felt was that there really were too many characters. Because apart from Ellie Shaw and David the Android, the remaining characters felt underdeveloped. You never really got to know any of them. Charlize Theron's character felt pointless, I didn't know what she was doing there. Guy Pearce's character was left out a bit, and while I dug his motives (reminded me of a Roy Batty of Blade Runner) I would've liked to have seen more of it.

Add to that, there were various grunts and thugs who were given very little screentime. Probably for the best. But what bothered me about all these characters is that occasionally, as happens in these films, something drastic happens. Someone dies in a gruesome manner. Or something worse happens. A situation occurs. In most films you'd expect people to actually REACT to these events. In this film, not so much. Once a character gets offed, he's simply not mentioned anymore and everything goes back to normal instantly. There's a couple of things that happen that would make me go "Holy shit, what the hell is going on!?", but the characters proceed as if they've been in similar situations before and were almost expecting this to happen.

I realize that this is probably a result of the fact that there's not one plot going on here, like in the Alien films. There are several, multiple plots unfolding at the same time. I dare say there's probably one plot too many in there somewhere, but I can't really point out which one. But walking out of it, I did feel that there's simply too much going on and as a result, what I was really interested in was left unanswered (and indeed, it does feel that by the end of it, they don't even bother answering the main question posed of the film, and rather drop it for the sake of sensationalism and pleasing the Alien fans).

Visually, stunning. Interesting turn of events, good storyline, likeable characters and terrorizing horror. But a lack of depth in both characters and plotline left me feeling somewhat displeased. But trust me, I'll be the first in line to see the sequel which is obviously coming our way.

-- -------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

Ok, part two, for more indepth about what I didn't dig about the film. The only reason I'm adding this is because it's "a prequel" (of sorts) to Alien. Read at your own risk.

I'm not a huge fan of the fact that this doesn't tie in to Alien. I really thought it would. All the way through the film, up until the very final 5 minutes, I thought "Nice, they really managed to wrap this up great!", but then there's one thing that went me go "Uh, what? That's not how it's supposed to be.".

That's the Space Jockey character, of course. What threw me off was the fact that he didn't die in his chair, like they found him in Alien. He died in a completely different place.

It bothered me even more that they almost had it. If they'd just let him die in his chair instead, then THIS could very well have BEEN the prequel to Alien. But now, it's like 99% a prequel to Alien, but that missing 1% just makes the rest of the buildup pointless.

Why didn't they go all the way? It would have been soooo much more satisfying than what we got. Now, the ending felt... Wrong. For several reasons. But there was just too much of the ending that left me wondering. I didn't feel as if any questions had been answered.

I just feel a bit cheated by my own expectations going INTO the film, but also the expectations built up DURING the film. Everything, and I mean everything seemed to match the first Alien film. The ships, the planet, the interior, the crash at the end, Weyland's interest in this planet. Everything. Of course I was sitting there thinking "Oh, this ties into Alien perfectly!" and then when it doesn't for a reason I just can't comprehend, I feel kinda cheated. Why did I sit through this? This didn't tell me anything.

Now, some folks will say "Yeah, but you got to watch it on it's own merits!" and yes, they're right. But on it's own merits, it's still only half a film. It doesn't even finish the story. This film needed Alien for that purpose, yet it dropped that ball by not going all the way. Meh. Good film, but in some cases a wasted oppertunity.

shootemindehead
02-Jun-2012, 04:58 PM
SPOILERS WITHIN SPOILERS WITHIN SPOILERS WITHIN SPOILERS WITHIN

'Prometheus'

Again, SPOILERS...so don't read, if you don't want to know, or haven't already seen the film.

In any case, I wasn't that pushed with the whole thing, I have to be honest and I can see why it's only getting so-so reviews. I avoided everything to do with the film in the run up to seeing it in the cinema, but the title was a big giveaway if you know anything about the Greek/Roman myths. So, I was going in relatively blank, but knowing it had something to do with the creation of mankind, or "stealing fire from the gods" :)

We went to a 3D show, which in hindsight was probably a big mistake, as it wasn't that impressive and took away from the film, although there were some moments that were very well handled. I think that we were too close to the screen and the glasses we had were pretty terrible, with large frames that interfered with view of the screen. I was also getting some double vision, especially on text. 3D is just an awful gimmick really.

As far as being part of the 'Alien' franchise, I felt that that was very tacked on and even unnecessary. It just didn't seem to fit at all. It never seems like a prequel to 'Alien', more like a prequel to 'Prometheus 2'. I got the distinct impression that the 'Alien' prequel thingy was an effort to get bums on seats, rather than a legit effort at a genuine chapter in the series. Another issue is that a lot of the technology looks like it dates from AFTER 'Alien'/'Aliens', even though those films take place many years in the future. It wouldn't have been that hard to lock down the tech aspect of the film and make it fit better.

It's all acted fairly well, even if there are a few too many characters and I had the feeling that there was a bit too much exposition going on. There are also a number of moments where I was saying to myself "what was the point in that?". There's two particularly silly parts in the running time and a heavy reliance on a kind of "Deus Ex Machina".

The worst part was the "deconstruction" of the "Space Jockey" being from 'Alien'. In Prometheus, the "Space Jockey" is a humanoid guy in a suit! This is clearly a terrible idea, as when it was first conceived and created, it was obviously a fossilised creature of some description when shown in 'Alien'. A creature that had rotted to reveal skeletal remains, where a "chestburster' had erupted through its ribs, which offered the portent of the immediate future for John Hurt's character. It's a particular let down.

Another, quite idiotic, suggestion from the film is that the "Engineers" of mankind had been harvesting alien species as a form of biological weapon. This is an idea that Scott had been, sort of, pushing for a while. But, frankly I think it's an incredibly stupid premise. The idea that in order to defeat an enemy, one would replace that enemy with an, arguably, even more dangerous enemy is an incredibly ill-conceived thought. If it's a weapon of pure extermination, then perhaps that may fly, but I really don't like the whole aspect at all.

Over all though, it's not a bad film in it's own right. But, as an entry into the 'Alien' series it's a failure. It's not as much of a failure as the atrocious 'Alien Resurrection', but it's still a failure. Seems more like an addition to the 'Alien vs Predator' sub-series...and the less said about that, the better.

MinionZombie
02-Jun-2012, 05:18 PM
Posted my spoiler-free review over yonder:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/prometheus-3d-review.html

Also, Ned - It's not the same Space Jockey, it's not the same spaceship, and it's not the same planet (here it's LV-223), as seen in Alien ... I do wonder if the ship that Shaw and David take-off in at the end will become the ship we all know from Alien and Aliens, as in, do they fly off and discover LV-426? Only time will tell...

EvilNed
02-Jun-2012, 06:01 PM
I get that, MZ. I get that. It's just such a terrible wasted opportunity.

Also, the reason why David poisons Charlie is still unexplained.

capncnut
02-Jun-2012, 08:59 PM
Dug the film though - one thing to think about when going in, is that it's all about beginnings...

It's not the same Space Jockey, it's not the same spaceship, and it's not the same planet (here it's LV-223), as seen in Alien ... I do wonder if the ship that Shaw and David take-off in at the end will become the ship we all know from Alien and Aliens, as in, do they fly off and discover LV-426? Only time will tell...
Exactly what I took away from it. ;)

MinionZombie
03-Jun-2012, 09:40 AM
Ned - I explained that D/C thing in a previous post of mine. :shifty:

Exactly what I took away from it. ;)

Great minds, Sir, great minds. :cool:

EvilNed
03-Jun-2012, 10:57 PM
Ned - I explained that D/C thing in a previous post of mine. :shifty:

Don't know, doesn't seem like an explanation to me... I know what you mean, but that doesn't explain anything really as far as I'm concerned.

MinionZombie
04-Jun-2012, 10:33 AM
Don't know, doesn't seem like an explanation to me... I know what you mean, but that doesn't explain anything really as far as I'm concerned.

Then you're just weird... :p:lol::p

Here's most of that particular scene for a review...
jRa_xmJ4zXg&hd=1

krakenslayer
04-Jun-2012, 12:02 PM
In addition to the above, it is VERY strongly implied elsewhere in the film that Weyland is directing David's actions during their "dream conversations". Also, in the David promo video released before the film, it appears that he follows some variation on Asimov's Laws of Robotics, so as part of his programming he can't allow a human to be harmed. He still had to get the victim's permission, however involuntarily, before doing it.

MinionZombie
04-Jun-2012, 12:15 PM
^^^

Kraken - Nice spot on the issue of 'implied consent' from Charlie towards David, I thought the same thing when I saw that scene.

EvilNed
04-Jun-2012, 03:37 PM
The how is there. The WHY isn't. Can somebody please explain WHY David poisoned Charlie?

krakenslayer
04-Jun-2012, 04:37 PM
The how is there. The WHY isn't. Can somebody please explain WHY David poisoned Charlie?

*Adding in some text to push the first words of the spoiler tagged text out of the view of the threaded lines of initial text from each post* MZ

He poisoned Charlie because Weyland asked him to. Weyland asked him to because he was desperate to uncover the secrets of the Engineers' power/biotech and had a very limited amount of life remaining in which to do it. This way, he wouldn't have to wait to get back to Earth, then get ethical approval, etc. to test the stuff on living tissue. He may have also had one eye already on the applications within his weapons division.

MinionZombie
04-Jun-2012, 05:18 PM
*Adding in some text to push the first words of the spoiler tagged text out of the view of the threaded lines of initial text from each post* MZ

He poisoned Charlie because Weyland asked him to. Weyland asked him to because he was desperate to uncover the secrets of the Engineers' power/biotech and had a very limited amount of life remaining in which to do it. This way, he wouldn't have to wait to get back to Earth, then get ethical approval, etc. to test the stuff on living tissue. He may have also had one eye already on the applications within his weapons division.

^^^
Well said, Kraken, also...
With Weyland being near-death, there might also be other selfish motivations - as in, might he be able to gain a new lease of life by ingesting something found on the planet? He certainly would want a 'guinea pig' first of all though...

Sammich
04-Jun-2012, 09:26 PM
How similar to At the Mountains of Madness was it?

krakenslayer
04-Jun-2012, 10:47 PM
The story has some superficial similarity to the Lovecraft story insofar as it largely consists humans exploring the deserted structures of an extraterrestrial civilization that predates life on earth, and encountering leftover horrors within. But it's not strikingly similar: I would never have made the connection had I not read about Del Toro abandoning his film due to this. You could also draw equally salient comparisons with Star Trek: The Final Frontier and Avatar, although for my money I enjoyed Prometheus better than either of those.

shootemindehead
05-Jun-2012, 03:12 AM
How similar to At the Mountains of Madness was it?

In my opinion, not at all.

I think the whole 'At the Mountains of Mdness' - 'Prometheus' thing is absolute bunkum altogether. The NO reason why one couldn't co-inside with the other.

EvilNed
05-Jun-2012, 02:26 PM
Hmm, all this seems very speculative and far-fetched... Not at all elaborated upon in the film itself.

acealive1
06-Jun-2012, 03:35 AM
$40,000,000 already made........

krakenslayer
06-Jun-2012, 10:11 PM
Hmm, all this seems very speculative and far-fetched... Not at all elaborated upon in the film itself.

From what I remember, David is seen talking with Weyland in his Hypersleep pod, then is cornered by Vickers, refuses to tell her anything, but very quickly thereafter poisons Charlie. Later, Weyland reveals that he has traveled there because he only has a few months to live and hopes that the Engineers' godlike technology can grant him a longer life. From his point of view, the whole exercise is a desperate, last-ditch, selfish attempt to cheat death; it is quite clear he would do anything for a chance to live at this point, so when some of the Engineer tech (figuratively) lands in his lap, he doesn't waste time testing it out. The audience isn't exactly spoon-fed this, but the chain of motivation is very much there if you look for it.

EvilNed
06-Jun-2012, 11:03 PM
Again, very speculative and far-fetched. I get what you're saying. But it's not there in the film.

krakenslayer
07-Jun-2012, 12:19 AM
Again, very speculative and far-fetched. I get what you're saying. But it's not there in the film.

I'm not sure what you mean by "there in the film". Just because not every connection and not every single step in every interpersonal process is explicitly played-out on screen doesn't mean its not there, and that it can't be inferred from what we do know. That's part of the fun. One of the major sources of tension in the film is the uncertainty about where certain characters' loyalties lie, and I think Scott plays a good game in keeping that uncertainty suspended for quite a long while. In order to do that, he has to withhold certain pieces of information. By the time we know what's what (as far as trust is concerned), it would be unnecessary and Scooby Doo-ish to go back over everything and recite exactly who was doing what to whom and why. You're expected to work it out for yourself, the clues are there. The problem is that people (and I don't entirely exclude myself from this) are so used to Hollywood feeding them everything in easy mode these days. Sure, Prometheus isn't a mind-bendingly complex movie, and it DOES have one or two plot holes, but it does demand a bit more of its viewers than most modern sci-fi movies in order to get the most out of it.

Reading over my post, it sounds a bit patronizing. I am in no way trying to infer that you are stupid and just "didn't get it" (you've always stuck me as one of the sharper knives in this drawer :p ), I just think you, and a lot of the naysayers I have been reading online, might benefit from a second viewing.

EvilNed
07-Jun-2012, 06:17 AM
Reading over my post, it sounds a bit patronizing. I am in no way trying to infer that you are stupid and just "didn't get it" (you've always stuck me as one of the sharper knives in this drawer :p ), I just think you, and a lot of the naysayers I have been reading online, might benefit from a second viewing.

Aye, I think you're right there. I realize myself that I'm a bit hypocritical about this, considering Blade Runner is one of my all time favourite films and there's a hell of a lot of things left unexplained in that film. Maybe Prometheus will be looked on in the same way way that we look upon Blade Runner in 20 years.

bassman
07-Jun-2012, 07:50 PM
It's a good film, but certainly not what most would consider a "prequel" to the Alien franchise and it doesn't live up to that franchise. They just share the same universe, nothing more. Perhaps the sequel(s) will change that, though.

My main two gripes were the awful score that sounded like a heroic theme lifted straight from Galaxy Quest, and the make up effects that reminded me of the judge from Dan Aykroyd's Nothing But Trouble....

http://content6.flixster.com/question/57/99/15/5799156_std.jpg

If you've seen it, you know who i'm referring to.

I enjoyed the film, but it kinda left a stale taste in my mouth. Maybe a second viewing will improve upon it.

Danny
09-Jun-2012, 03:48 PM
Just watched it. It was waaaaay too long and bloated and the score was really bloody generic. Aside from that very entertaining flick. Nothing special. Not particularly original or scary at all, but a fun enough piece of light sci-fi. My only major problem is that there is such a large number of plot wholes that people are trying to explain. That fact alone is bad enough, that they are trying to explain it because the film is flawed in that it did not do it itself, but that they are making grasping guess work to do so.

yknow, thinking about this im pretty much blaming the flaws on lindeloff. It felt flawed in the same reasons as all his written works. Things happen but by the end it just seems like a pointless, unsatisfying exercise'. I mean with him its almost like a bingo card.
-no direct antagonist, just people who do bad things to push the plot forwards
-constantly raises questions, a very easy thing to do, without answering them- just having characters make a guess monologue and leaving it at that - the cheap cop out to the hard option of explaining anything.
-entire movie is summed up as 'people walk around touching what they shouldnt. only unlike alien its not a rough and ready salvage crew, its a cherry picked team of scientists...
-plenty of characters like therons that literally serve no purpose at all, be it in the film or in the logic of the film universe that are there for no reason at all.
-where did the extras on the crew all go?
-aside from the paper thin 'man playing with fire' subtext of prometheus what was even the point of the film? its too detached from alien to actually be a prequel. it felt like a riff tracks of ideas from the writer that act as plenty of set ups and 'middle acts' but theres no true narrative framework here. just a splicing of ideas and set pieces that on reflection makes the experience seem more like a universal studios ride that gives an actual plot device in the last 25 minutes of its 115 minute runtime if only for the sake of resolution.

I still like it as an audience go-er, but when you really look at the film its really a mess compared to the tight, claustrophobic, stressful, frightening and expertly made film that inspired it. great direction, both cinematography and art design wise. but for the sum of its parts its all greatly wasted potential. ALIEN was a smart film. very smart. and there is a reason its the sort of film people studying film write papers on. It is something special and clever in how it tells its story. This is something that looks like it wants to be the same, but feels like alien resurrection instead.

bassman
11-Jun-2012, 02:42 PM
In an interview with Collider, Ridley Scott says there will be an extended cut on blu ray and it's about twenty minutes longer...

SCOTT: This is fundamentally the director’s cut. But there will be half an hour of stuff on the menu because people are so into films—how they’re made, how they’re set up, and the rejections in it. That’s why it’s fascinating. So this will all go on to the menu.

Well I’m curious about the deleted scenes. Specifically in this film, Noomi [Rapace] mentioned maybe there was a fight scene with her and an Engineer.

SCOTT: The Engineer fight scene was pretty good. It will definitely go on the menu. It won’t go on the long version. The problem about it is, while she gives as good as she gets with an axe (she’s very physical), he’s so big, for him to be clouted with a conventional weapon somehow diminished him. It’s subtle. It’s drama. I didn’t want to diminish him by having this person who has a weapon to be able to back him off. It minimized him. That’s why when he deals with people inside his cockpit, it’s over. Wham, wham, wham. Even the shot doesn’t mean anything. And so all she has time for is introducing him to the big boy inside the lab.

You’re going to do an extended cut on the Blu-ray/DVD. Is it a lot longer?

SCOTT: Twenty minutes.

MinionZombie
11-Jun-2012, 05:36 PM
Interesting, I'd read elsewhere speculation that there wouldn't be an extended cut - so I'm glad to hear there will be (plus some tasty deleted scenes) on the home video release. Definitely something to look forward to. No doubt there'd be some nice shading to round out a few spots in the movie, as I would definitely be up for more in the film itself. I did think when viewing it that there were a few corners cut for the theatrical release's running time, so hopefully we'll get some nice additions to the extended cut. :)

Good news everyone!

Neil
12-Jun-2012, 08:30 AM
In an interview with Collider, Ridley Scott says there will be an extended cut on blu ray and it's about twenty minutes longer...

AICN with the same news - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/56336

krisvds
12-Jun-2012, 09:00 AM
Interesting, I'd read elsewhere speculation that there wouldn't be an extended cut - so I'm glad to hear there will be (plus some tasty deleted scenes) on the home video release. Definitely something to look forward to. No doubt there'd be some nice shading to round out a few spots in the movie, as I would definitely be up for more in the film itself. I did think when viewing it that there were a few corners cut for the theatrical release's running time, so hopefully we'll get some nice additions to the extended cut. :)

Good news everyone!

As much as I would like to see this extended version I also find it very annoying that the studio can't just release a finished film in the places it was meant to be seen in the first place; the theatre.
It's all part of their business plan I guess, but to me it's killing the classic cinema experience. If the nacho munching, cellular phone addicted loudmouths that have invaded most cinemas these days haven't already done so.

Neil
12-Jun-2012, 09:17 AM
^^ Yes and no...

If you look at the LOTR films, they were long even without being extended, and I suspect releasing the non-extented versions to the cinema was the right move.

Then for those that wish the longer experience have the choice of buying it.

But with 20mins, it's more questionable... Doesn't change the cinema experience that much surely? So maybe it's more down to it's content. ie: It's 20mins of character building that isn't directly necessary, but might be enjoyed more geared towards it!?

I can also go with your idea that its a tool designed to make the purchasing of the bluray/DVD more attractive too!

shootemindehead
12-Jun-2012, 09:36 AM
Just watched it. It was waaaaay too long and bloated and the score was really bloody generic. Aside from that very entertaining flick. Nothing special. Not particularly original or scary at all, but a fun enough piece of light sci-fi. My only major problem is that there is such a large number of plot wholes that people are trying to explain. That fact alone is bad enough, that they are trying to explain it because the film is flawed in that it did not do it itself, but that they are making grasping guess work to do so.

yknow, thinking about this im pretty much blaming the flaws on lindeloff. It felt flawed in the same reasons as all his written works. Things happen but by the end it just seems like a pointless, unsatisfying exercise'. I mean with him its almost like a bingo card.
-no direct antagonist, just people who do bad things to push the plot forwards
-constantly raises questions, a very easy thing to do, without answering them- just having characters make a guess monologue and leaving it at that - the cheap cop out to the hard option of explaining anything.
-entire movie is summed up as 'people walk around touching what they shouldnt. only unlike alien its not a rough and ready salvage crew, its a cherry picked team of scientists...
-plenty of characters like therons that literally serve no purpose at all, be it in the film or in the logic of the film universe that are there for no reason at all.
-where did the extras on the crew all go?
-aside from the paper thin 'man playing with fire' subtext of prometheus what was even the point of the film? its too detached from alien to actually be a prequel. it felt like a riff tracks of ideas from the writer that act as plenty of set ups and 'middle acts' but theres no true narrative framework here. just a splicing of ideas and set pieces that on reflection makes the experience seem more like a universal studios ride that gives an actual plot device in the last 25 minutes of its 115 minute runtime if only for the sake of resolution.

I still like it as an audience go-er, but when you really look at the film its really a mess compared to the tight, claustrophobic, stressful, frightening and expertly made film that inspired it. great direction, both cinematography and art design wise. but for the sum of its parts its all greatly wasted potential. ALIEN was a smart film. very smart. and there is a reason its the sort of film people studying film write papers on. It is something special and clever in how it tells its story. This is something that looks like it wants to be the same, but feels like alien resurrection instead.

I agree with everything here Danny and your points are well made.

I really wanted to like 'Prometheus', but there were just too many stupid moments in it. The "alien abortion" scene was just ridiculous. To have Noomi Rapace cut through her skin, her muscle layers and into her womb...remove an alien squid, suture her up in the most violent way and then have her run around like nothing happened was just thick. Not only that, but in one of her running scenes, both her and Charleze Theron don't think of the simply running at a sideways angle to avoid being squashed by the crashing spaceship? Really?

Scientists me arse...

The extra 20 minutes don't fill me with much hope either. If they can't get the current 2 1/2 hours right, 20 extra minutes aren't going to make a difference.

MinionZombie
12-Jun-2012, 09:42 AM
I was always going to pre-order the Blu-Ray of this anyway, but now it's even more definite a move. In the case of LOTR, they added so much in - particular effects shots - that they needed that extra year to complete those shots. Many times you have that sort of a situation, where the new content hasn't been completed yet, but then other times it's taking a different view of it over time (there's a third version of The Town being released in America, if it's not already out yet, in a super-duper special collector's edition, for example).

I can understand the business side too - the longer the movie, the less screenings you can have (which, in-part, inconveniences the viewer somewhat as there are less times that you can potentially go and see it). A similar thing is cutting to achieve a lower rating for the cinema release - e.g. The Hunger Games, The Woman In Black, and The Inbetweeners ... the first two were trimmed to get a 12A and reach the target audience, but certainly The Woman In Black at least is getting an uncut home video outing (it's easier to get your parents to buy an over-aged movie for their kid, than get them into the cinema to see it), and indeed The Inbetweeners was cut from an 18 to get a 15 (a wise choice, especially for a British movie of a very popular TV show with teens and adults alike, and it went on to become the #1 comedy in the UK ever in the cinema). Then it was released on home video uncut (although looking at the uncut material, I personally wondered how it was any 'worse' than the rest of the content ... i.e. a few more 'ham masturbation' shots, Jay pissing on a club floor ... but I guess the boundary has to come down somewhere.

20 minutes could make significant changes - at least in terms of pacing, so you make a good point there Neil. More people are going to be forgiving of a lengthier, perhaps not-so-well-paced, extended version on home video, because they've specifically sought it out (either by choosing that version, or if both are available to all editions, then clicking on the option on the disc itself). Sometimes extended version don't add much (the lengthier version of The Town apparently doesn't add an awful lot, it's more just in-between moments that weren't all that necessary to begin with ... so I've heard), but then you have other extensions that very much feel part of the movie (although that could be subjective, e.g. if you saw the extended version first - so that's "the movie" to you, but not necessarily someone else) ... ... for example, the Cannes Cut of Dawn of the Dead. That's "the" version of the movie to me, and I really miss the extensions whenever I see the US Theatrical Version.

Where was I? I'm rambling again... :p