PDA

View Full Version : How PC have we gotte'n?

Tied2thetracks
14-Dec-2009, 06:45 PM
Gutierrez will be joined by members of many different faiths and backgrounds, including the Congressional Hispanic Caucus, Black Caucus, Asian Pacific American Caucus and Progressive Caucus.”

So much for the melting pot.

darth los
14-Dec-2009, 07:04 PM
Gutierrez will be joined by members of many different faiths and backgrounds, including the Congressional Hispanic Caucus, Black Caucus, Asian Pacific American Caucus and Progressive Caucus.”

So much for the melting pot.

I'm unclear as to what this means. Is there a link that explains further?

If not, more details please.

:cool:

krakenslayer
14-Dec-2009, 07:29 PM
I don't have a clue what any of this is about but I do know there is no apostrophe in "gotten". [/pedantry] :D

MikePizzoff
14-Dec-2009, 08:27 PM
I don't have a clue what any of this is about but I do know there is no apostrophe in "gotten". [/pedantry] :D

Bastard beat me to it! :p

AcesandEights
15-Dec-2009, 12:17 AM
No worries. This is just how Tied posts. In this case he is stopping by to wish us Happy Holidays and a joyful (and illegal-alien-free) New Year.

Happy Holidays, Tied!

Danny
15-Dec-2009, 03:23 AM
No worries. This is just how Tied posts. In this case he is stopping by to wish us Happy Holidays and a joyful (and illegal-alien-free) New Year.

Happy Holidays, Tied!

what he said, have a merry december 25th border patrol with ted nugent.

deadpunk
15-Dec-2009, 05:10 AM
I'm unclear as to what this means. Is there a link that explains further?

If not, more details please.

http://luisgutierrez.house.gov/PRArticle.aspx?NewsID=1406

No details as to the bill's contents yet announced that I could find.

:)

SRP76
15-Dec-2009, 04:34 PM
So a dude from Illinois is on the immigration bandwagon? What, he's tired of dealing with all those annoying Iowans jumping his border?

MikePizzoff
15-Dec-2009, 06:56 PM
So a dude from Illinois is on the immigration bandwagon? What, he's tired of dealing with all those annoying Iowans jumping his border?

I've got a friend whose [still living] GRANDFATHER came here from Armenia, as a young adult, yet my friend will complain about middle-eastern immigrants. :confused::confused::confused::mad::mad::mad:

Arcades057
15-Dec-2009, 10:53 PM

Funny.

I've got a friend whose [still living] GRANDFATHER came here from Armenia, as a young adult, yet my friend will complain about middle-eastern immigrants.

Oh, you mean he came here prior to the salad-bowl ideals we have now, when every immigrant off the boat/out of the river gets an ACLU lawyer, Welfare, WIC, PRIDE, whatever-it's-called-near-you, free--for them, not for us--housing, free health care, free money? Back then? And now your friend has the temerity to complain about immigrants from a region that do not assimilate, treat their women like animals, have the tendency to fly planes very poorly, spontaneously explode in public, and get their rocks off by beheading people? What a dick your friend is, Jesus Christ, hasn't he ever heard of multicultralism? EVERYONE is equal!

:rolleyes:

darth los
18-Dec-2009, 03:48 PM
I don't know about all that but being politically correct is definitely hindering western society. It keeps us from addressing critical issues for fear of offending certain groups which is just idiotic.

Reading arcades' post i couldn't help but think:

" Is something racist, xenophobic or sexist if it's true?"

Mike70
18-Dec-2009, 04:01 PM

if a statement is true, then none of the above apply. the truth is simply that, the truth, regardless of whether it is a statement that "offends" some.

but now to the truth: a true statement to me is one which is valid for everyone, everywhere, all the time. period. anything which does not fit that measure of validity isn't "the truth." it is merely a personal opinion. needless to say, i do not recognize the existence of "personal truth."

true statements: the sun rises in east and sets in the west (on earth). 2 +2 = 4. both of these statements are demonstrably provable and they are valid statements for everyone, everywhere, all the time.

Skippy911sc
18-Dec-2009, 09:34 PM
Even if your wife/girlfriends ass looks HUGE in those jeans it is unlikely you will tell her how big it looks. Would that be too PC or would you risk celibacy for the next month+ over a big ole ass? Some times a little kid does ask a STUPID question, do let him/her know how stupid it was? Do we treat some people a little different... I think so. And we probably should so they do not feel bad and wind up shooting the place up. You know that guy that works just down from you who plays a little too much WOW or COD, and has, you know, those crazy eyes? Do you tell him what a LOSER he really is? These things may all be truths but it does not mean we need to share everything that comes to mind with everyone. Do we need this many special groups...no, but do corporations need that many lobbyist? NO! We are the result of over protective parents an immense legal system and corporate giant greed.

deadpunk
18-Dec-2009, 09:43 PM
Even if your wife/girlfriends ass looks HUGE in those jeans it is unlikely you will tell her how big it looks. Would that be too PC or would you risk celibacy for the next month+ over a big ole ass? Some times a little kid does ask a STUPID question, do let him/her know how stupid it was? Do we treat some people a little different... I think so. And we probably should so they do not feel bad and wind up shooting the place up. You know that guy that works just down from you who plays a little too much WOW or COD, and has, you know, those crazy eyes? Do you tell him what a LOSER he really is? These things may all be truths but it does not mean we need to share everything that comes to mind with everyone. Do we need this many special groups...no, but do corporations need that many lobbyist? NO! We are the result of over protective parents an immense legal system and corporate giant greed.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc284/thebeergoblin/johnstewart_facepalm.gif

JDFP
18-Dec-2009, 10:25 PM

Corporate giant greed? It's more like big government greed these days, I'd welcome a re-launching of big corporations personally, at least then people could get a job doing something as opposed to living off the ever expanding and growing gov't to take care of the whims of the people. Rather a corporate dominated society than a society dominated by the whims of a federal government with entirely too much power any day of the week. But that's the Ayn Randian ideology coming out within me there.

Then again, a lot of it goes back to the Kantian categorical imperative in whether a "lie" is ever valid in a situation or if someone should always tell the truth. Personally, I think caution should be used and intelligence employed at every opportunity. While granny's cookies may suck, you don't look at her after she's slaved over the oven all day and say: "Wow, grandma, these cookies are f***ing awful!!!". I've always preferred Hegel to Kant anyway, so it's a matter of preference.

As far as Mike mentioning "Truth" (with a capital T) v. "truth" (subjective or 'personal truth'), I happen to agree with him to an extent. I think the whole postmodern notion of "subjective truth" is absolute horseshit. Either something is or is not, at least on an most empirical bases. What about aesthetics, literature, or even faith though? What about the a priori questions? How do you empirically judge the Truth within these fields? What determining factor do we go by in stating "This is a GREAT work of art, literature, etc."? These are the realms of the subjective, something that exists a posteriori but can't be labeled as objectively "beautiful" or "horrible". In these areas, it's a matter of personal judgment and value. I think it's important to distinguish between Truth and personal preference, and to make sure we realize that personal preference is not "subjective truth" which is completely a postmodern fallacy (hell, postmodernism as a philosophy within itself is completely ridiculous).

Wow, went off on a bit of a tangent there...

Anyway, it's a matter of using good judgment skills. Sometimes it's better to not divulge a truth as a matter of the good but to use a scale for it. It's better not to tell granny that her cookies suck, to tell your wife that she looks fat as hell in that dress. Another example would be if an asteroid was days away from striking the earth and NASA couldn't do a damn thing to stop it. Would it be beneficial to tell people the truth or is it better to omit this from society? Sometimes the best practice, and go ahead and roll in your grave Kant, is to lie by omission as opposed to telling truth by commission. In theory the facts are always the best practice, but in practice, this isn't necessarily the right step to make.

j.p.

sandrock74
18-Dec-2009, 10:37 PM
Things have gotten so wildly PC that we now must refer to zombies as "the living challenged"! What a world...

MoonSylver
18-Dec-2009, 10:50 PM
Things have gotten so wildly PC that we now must refer to zombies as "the living challenged"! What a world...

http://laughterhouse.org/content/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/zombie_protest2.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z167/Great_WhiteSnark/zombies1.jpg

http://shirtoid.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/zombie_protest.jpg

http://images.hitfix.com/photos/205788/EmmaStoneLAPrem_gallery_primary.jpg

Arcades057
20-Dec-2009, 08:22 PM
I don't know about all that but being politically correct is definitely hindering western society. It keeps us from addressing critical issues for fear of offending certain groups which is just idiotic.

Ohhh, you have absolutely no idea how far I could have taken what I posted. I kept it simple and tried to keep it as nice as I could. If I let out my true feelings on this subject you can rest assured that they would offend each and every person here... While somehow at the same time making sense to everyone, too.

krakenslayer
20-Dec-2009, 09:33 PM
You know, I think they should just kill everyone who's not me. That would solve all these problems. :D

Danny
21-Dec-2009, 05:28 AM
Whats youse guys take on this in terms of political correctness then?, this is a picture of the science section at a toys r us.:lol:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/129058360362688934.jpg

Mike70
21-Dec-2009, 06:46 PM
Whats youse guys take on this in terms of political correctness then?, this is a picture of the science section at a toys r us.:lol:

hopefully that's just a case of the store doing a reset and someone forgetting to move the signs. otherwise...:shifty:

mista_mo
21-Dec-2009, 07:26 PM
Pc? I dunno anything about that, i'm on a mac.

darth los
21-Dec-2009, 08:44 PM
Something else that's P.C. is having a black santa at the mall.

In none of the storybooks or television I've read or watched is that the case.

However, for some strange reason if there's not a black santa at the mall the NAACP and ACLU will be up their asses with a microscope.

DubiousComforts
21-Dec-2009, 08:57 PM
Rather a corporate dominated society
We have that already and it's obviously not working out.

But that's the Ayn Randian ideology coming out within me there.
Ayn Rand was for the rights of the individual, and her philosophies bear little resemblance to the perverted political ideals that are now peddled in her name. Rand was a philosopher not a partisan spin doctor. She'd puke if she could see the current American system of corporatism which frequently masquerades as "capitalism" and "freedom."

Something else that's P.C. is having a black santa at the mall.

In none of the storybooks or television I've read or watched is that the case.
Funny how I've only ever seen a white Jesus Christ when he was obviously a Middle Eastern Jew.

strayrider
22-Dec-2009, 08:04 AM
We have that already and it's obviously not working out.

Obvious to whom? By whose standards?

She'd puke if she could see the current American system of corporatism which frequently masquerades as "capitalism" and "freedom."

Provide examples as to how corporate America masquerades as capitalism and freedom. Do you have specific corporations in mind?

Funny how I've only ever seen a white Jesus Christ when he was obviously a Middle Eastern Jew.

This has nothing to do with Darth's claim. Refute what he is saying without using a red herring argument.

Doobie, please.

:D

-stray-

DjfunkmasterG
22-Dec-2009, 11:35 AM
Oh, you mean he came here prior to the salad-bowl ideals we have now, when every immigrant off the boat/out of the river gets an ACLU lawyer, Welfare, WIC, PRIDE, whatever-it's-called-near-you, free--for them, not for us--housing, free health care, free money? Back then? And now your friend has the temerity to complain about immigrants from a region that do not assimilate, treat their women like animals, have the tendency to fly planes very poorly, spontaneously explode in public, and get their rocks off by beheading people? What a dick your friend is, Jesus Christ, hasn't he ever heard of multicultralism? EVERYONE is equal!

While you and I don't see eye to eye... this is by far the funniest thing I have read this morning.

Thank You for the laugh good sir.

krakenslayer
22-Dec-2009, 12:28 PM
Provide examples as to how corporate America masquerades as capitalism and freedom. Do you have specific corporations in mind?

It's not America, but working in a huge corporate financial organisation here in the UK ironically made me feel like I was living in a repressive communist state: everyone was surveilled almost constantly, they used to monitor employees' social networking sites and even hunt down message forums they posted on and any (perceived) negative comments about the company would result in being sent to the gulags.. er... fired. People were miserable, no matter what their job or position, but party members... I mean, ass-licking company men... usually managed to ascend to a position where at least they didn't have to do much work. Company memos and all in-house literature were written like propaganda pieces. It was fucking horrible. Fuck communism and fuck corporatism too. :p

Mike70
22-Dec-2009, 12:42 PM
constantly, they used to monitor employees' social networking sites and even hunt down message forums they posted on and any (perceived) negative comments about the company would result in being sent to the gulags.. er... fired.

that's one of the main reasons your profile on a social networking site should always be set to private and you should NEVER take friend reqs from people you work with. i don't use social network sites anymore but when i did, i flat out refused to take any friends reqs from people i interact with professionally. another reason being that i already spend more time than i want to around people at work. i have zero desire to interact with them socially on the internet.

it is a profoundly, profoundly bad idea to mix your internet social life with your life at work.

darth los
22-Dec-2009, 01:33 PM

This has nothing to do with Darth's claim. Refute what he is saying without using a red herring argument.

Doobie, please.

-stray-

Thnx stray, I was thinking the same thing.

Although there are no photographs or contemporary paintings of Jesus Christ. (The paintings of white European Christians came hundreds perhaps a milenia later. The cross didn't even become a symbol of christianity until well after constantine 1 made it so) We know from history and common sense that a person of middle eastern descent, born and raised, is going to be a person of color. (If they ever existed at all, but that's an argument for another thread.)

On the other hand we actually know that "santa" or " Nicholas of Myra" existed. There are even paintings of him and from what I've seen he's kind of copper skinned as well. But that's not the point. My point was that in our culture santa is white has and always will be. And this is not like giving a particular race a hispanic or black barbie doll. Having a black santa is an obvious attempt to be "all inclusive" and not offend anyone because there's really no other reason for it.

The difference is santa is one man, not a race of santas that could be racially diverse. As i said it's one guy and for better or worse he's white. Don't tell me that mall patrons have been clamoring for years for a black santa cause i just don't believe that, I would have to see statistics on that one.

It would be like having a black Juan Valdez getting your coffee beans. It's patently ridiculous.

AcesandEights
22-Dec-2009, 04:14 PM
Don't tell me that mall patrons have been clamoring for years for a black santa cause i just don't believe that, I would have to see statistics on that one.

I've often wished for a socially acceptable reason to sit on a red velvet-clad, black man's lap, but sadly it has not yet come to pass. :(

That said, I think a lot of these little arguments are smoke-screens, though I do give a lot of credence to what Dubious has to say on this subject and think he's right on the money, at least in essence.

The fact of the matter is, the term Politically Correct has, itself, been co-opted for many other purposes and though I reserve a pretty profound distaste for those extreme levels of political correctness, most notably those that engender a repressive or correspondingly close-minded approach to issues or in some instances are even racist in and of themselves, I think the general idea behind approaching matters of race, ethnicity, gender and other associated differences from a perspective of inclusion is at least well intentioned.

I'll forever cast a wary eye on people who use the supposed iniquities of political correctness to gleefully roll out their racist or reactionary and all too often over-simplified tropes. I'm not going to get into a debate about the relative merits of a reactionary outlook, as I admit there are some.

In a nutshell, though there is a temptation to swing away, hard and fast from the political correctness we have seen in society (more so the PC of the 90s and the policy effects of that trend, which we see now in action on different governmental and professional levels), I hope people will not let themselves be swung too far emotionally in the opposite direction. I am as cautious of people crying out in the name of political correctness as I am of the agendas of those crying out against it and those who blindly carp along.

Mike70
22-Dec-2009, 04:45 PM
I'll forever cast a wary eye on people

i am extremely wary of anyone trying to convince me of their "cause." i have but few rules in life and one of the big ones is that i don't get involved in other people's bullshit. it might be of utmost importance to them but to me it's still someone else's bullshit and i don't want any part of it.

i'll be brutally honest. i'm very, very self-absorbed as a person. i stick to my own path in life and am pretty much totally unconcerned with the paths other people take or their problems. i will not get involved in anything that does not impact me directly and personally. i simply do not trust the motivations of people who clamor loudly for "change."

i think that terran put it best in the sig he used for a long time here: "just because i understand doesn't mean i care."

strayrider
23-Dec-2009, 09:32 AM
Thnx stray, I was thinking the same thing.

You're welcome.

Having a black santa is an obvious attempt to be "all inclusive" and not offend anyone because there's really no other reason for it.

Quite honestly, Santa has become such a characture in today's society that there is really no reason for him not to be played by whomever is willing to don the costume and assume the role. Would anyone here really not allow their child to sit on Santa's lap because the person portraying the character was of the "wrong" race or ethnic background?

It would be like having a black Juan Valdez getting your coffee beans. It's patently ridiculous.:cool:

As long as I get my cup of joe when I drop my coins in the machine, I don't care who picked the beans (as long as they were underpaid and oppressed by an evil corporation, of course ... there is no way that I could enjoy a cup of coffee without knowing that someone had to suffer for my greedy indulgence).

-stray-

darth los
23-Dec-2009, 01:36 PM
Would anyone here really not allow their child to sit on Santa's lap because the person portraying the character was of the "wrong" race or ethnic background?

The real question is would most people actually admit that's the real reason.

Danny
23-Dec-2009, 03:21 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/blacksantasrevenge.jpg

That is all.

darth los
23-Dec-2009, 03:35 PM

That is all.

Well, there's an exception to every rule isn't there? I'll bet you anything he's based at the monroeville branch.

strayrider
23-Dec-2009, 06:19 PM

That is all.

"It's Christmastime down there, buddy!"

:lol:

-stray-

mista_mo
23-Dec-2009, 08:12 PM
Get it because....the thread title has PC in it, and I said...something in regards to a Mac computer...you know...the PC is a computer thing...yea.

Danny
23-Dec-2009, 08:14 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/180px-Epic_fail_guy.gif

back again twice in one day?

fixed.

mista_mo
23-Dec-2009, 08:17 PM
I could have sworn that I closed that 4chan tab an hour ago or s-

nvm.

Tricky
24-Dec-2009, 09:05 AM
that's one of the main reasons your profile on a social networking site should always be set to private and you should NEVER take friend reqs from people you work with.

Not even that hot girl from accounts or the one sat on reception? If only so you can see her bikini photos from this years holiday to spain :p:sneaky: