Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How PC have we gotte'n?

United States

How PC have we gotte'n?

Gutierrez will be joined by members of many different faiths and backgrounds, including the Congressional Hispanic Caucus, Black Caucus, Asian Pacific American Caucus and Progressive Caucus.”

So much for the melting pot.
    I know youd rather see me gone,Than to see me the way that I am. But I am in the life anyway.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tied2thetracks View Post
    Gutierrez will be joined by members of many different faiths and backgrounds, including the Congressional Hispanic Caucus, Black Caucus, Asian Pacific American Caucus and Progressive Caucus.”

So much for the melting pot.

I'm unclear as to what this means. Is there a link that explains further?

If not, more details please.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    I don't have a clue what any of this is about but I do know there is no apostrophe in "gotten". [/pedantry]

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    I don't have a clue what any of this is about but I do know there is no apostrophe in "gotten". [/pedantry]
    Bastard beat me to it!

Super Moderator

United States
    No worries. This is just how Tied posts. In this case he is stopping by to wish us Happy Holidays and a joyful (and illegal-alien-free) New Year.

Happy Holidays, Tied!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    No worries. This is just how Tied posts. In this case he is stopping by to wish us Happy Holidays and a joyful (and illegal-alien-free) New Year.

Happy Holidays, Tied!
    what he said, have a merry december 25th border patrol with ted nugent.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    I'm unclear as to what this means. Is there a link that explains further?

If not, more details please.

http://luisgutierrez.house.gov/PRArt...px?NewsID=1406

No details as to the bill's contents yet announced that I could find.

United States
    So a dude from Illinois is on the immigration bandwagon? What, he's tired of dealing with all those annoying Iowans jumping his border?

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    So a dude from Illinois is on the immigration bandwagon? What, he's tired of dealing with all those annoying Iowans jumping his border?
    I've got a friend whose [still living] GRANDFATHER came here from Armenia, as a young adult, yet my friend will complain about middle-eastern immigrants.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    Funny.

I've got a friend whose [still living] GRANDFATHER came here from Armenia, as a young adult, yet my friend will complain about middle-eastern immigrants.
    Oh, you mean he came here prior to the salad-bowl ideals we have now, when every immigrant off the boat/out of the river gets an ACLU lawyer, Welfare, WIC, PRIDE, whatever-it's-called-near-you, free--for them, not for us--housing, free health care, free money? Back then? And now your friend has the temerity to complain about immigrants from a region that do not assimilate, treat their women like animals, have the tendency to fly planes very poorly, spontaneously explode in public, and get their rocks off by beheading people? What a dick your friend is, Jesus Christ, hasn't he ever heard of multicultralism? EVERYONE is equal!

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I don't know about all that but being politically correct is definitely hindering western society. It keeps us from addressing critical issues for fear of offending certain groups which is just idiotic.

Reading arcades' post i couldn't help but think:

" Is something racist, xenophobic or sexist if it's true?"

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Reading arcades' post i couldn't help but think:

" Is something racist, xenophobic or sexist if it's true?"

if a statement is true, then none of the above apply. the truth is simply that, the truth, regardless of whether it is a statement that "offends" some.

but now to the truth: a true statement to me is one which is valid for everyone, everywhere, all the time. period. anything which does not fit that measure of validity isn't "the truth." it is merely a personal opinion. needless to say, i do not recognize the existence of "personal truth."

true statements: the sun rises in east and sets in the west (on earth). 2 +2 = 4. both of these statements are demonstrably provable and they are valid statements for everyone, everywhere, all the time.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Undisclosed
    Even if your wife/girlfriends ass looks HUGE in those jeans it is unlikely you will tell her how big it looks. Would that be too PC or would you risk celibacy for the next month+ over a big ole ass? Some times a little kid does ask a STUPID question, do let him/her know how stupid it was? Do we treat some people a little different... I think so. And we probably should so they do not feel bad and wind up shooting the place up. You know that guy that works just down from you who plays a little too much WOW or COD, and has, you know, those crazy eyes? Do you tell him what a LOSER he really is? These things may all be truths but it does not mean we need to share everything that comes to mind with everyone. Do we need this many special groups...no, but do corporations need that many lobbyist? NO! We are the result of over protective parents an immense legal system and corporate giant greed.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy911sc View Post
    Even if your wife/girlfriends ass looks HUGE in those jeans it is unlikely you will tell her how big it looks. Would that be too PC or would you risk celibacy for the next month+ over a big ole ass? Some times a little kid does ask a STUPID question, do let him/her know how stupid it was? Do we treat some people a little different... I think so. And we probably should so they do not feel bad and wind up shooting the place up. You know that guy that works just down from you who plays a little too much WOW or COD, and has, you know, those crazy eyes? Do you tell him what a LOSER he really is? These things may all be truths but it does not mean we need to share everything that comes to mind with everyone. Do we need this many special groups...no, but do corporations need that many lobbyist? NO! We are the result of over protective parents an immense legal system and corporate giant greed.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy911sc View Post
    Corporate giant greed? It's more like big government greed these days, I'd welcome a re-launching of big corporations personally, at least then people could get a job doing something as opposed to living off the ever expanding and growing gov't to take care of the whims of the people. Rather a corporate dominated society than a society dominated by the whims of a federal government with entirely too much power any day of the week. But that's the Ayn Randian ideology coming out within me there.

Then again, a lot of it goes back to the Kantian categorical imperative in whether a "lie" is ever valid in a situation or if someone should always tell the truth. Personally, I think caution should be used and intelligence employed at every opportunity. While granny's cookies may suck, you don't look at her after she's slaved over the oven all day and say: "Wow, grandma, these cookies are f***ing awful!!!". I've always preferred Hegel to Kant anyway, so it's a matter of preference.

As far as Mike mentioning "Truth" (with a capital T) v. "truth" (subjective or 'personal truth'), I happen to agree with him to an extent. I think the whole postmodern notion of "subjective truth" is absolute horseshit. Either something is or is not, at least on an most empirical bases. What about aesthetics, literature, or even faith though? What about the a priori questions? How do you empirically judge the Truth within these fields? What determining factor do we go by in stating "This is a GREAT work of art, literature, etc."? These are the realms of the subjective, something that exists a posteriori but can't be labeled as objectively "beautiful" or "horrible". In these areas, it's a matter of personal judgment and value. I think it's important to distinguish between Truth and personal preference, and to make sure we realize that personal preference is not "subjective truth" which is completely a postmodern fallacy (hell, postmodernism as a philosophy within itself is completely ridiculous).

Wow, went off on a bit of a tangent there...

Anyway, it's a matter of using good judgment skills. Sometimes it's better to not divulge a truth as a matter of the good but to use a scale for it. It's better not to tell granny that her cookies suck, to tell your wife that she looks fat as hell in that dress. Another example would be if an asteroid was days away from striking the earth and NASA couldn't do a damn thing to stop it. Would it be beneficial to tell people the truth or is it better to omit this from society? Sometimes the best practice, and go ahead and roll in your grave Kant, is to lie by omission as opposed to telling truth by commission. In theory the facts are always the best practice, but in practice, this isn't necessarily the right step to make.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever