PDA

View Full Version : Contains Spoilers! Game of Thrones (TV series) excitement

Pages : 1 [2] 3

axlish
06-Jun-2012, 02:25 PM
I assumed that they bagged Theon, dragged him home, and burned Winterfell as they left for good measure. The bald wiseman mentioned secret escape routes..

Danny
06-Jun-2012, 05:37 PM
BIG SPOILER FOR BOTH BOOKS AND TV SERIES THAT I KINDA PREDICTED ALREADY:

theons actor had a long talk with martin about the future plot points, he mentions that the subject of jon snows parentage is going to be a real luke skywalker moment then tangentially rambled about the targareans. I've been thinking for a while the mad king possibly raped neds sister whistle she was his prisoner in another of his insane ramblings and jon is neds nephew not son and is actually danaeys' brother. Be interesting to see what it is for real. Truth be told i still expect ned to be alive at the end of all this since the best way to win the game of thrones is make everyone think you are dead then swoop in to finish off whos left at the end

Neil
07-Jun-2012, 01:29 PM
^^ Can I view that spoiler if I've watched all the TV episodes? ie: It won't spoil anything form the future (episodes)?

Danny
08-Jun-2012, 12:09 PM
its called a spoiler for a reason Neil :lol:

also
kL7RWUva7ak

Neil
15-Jun-2012, 12:04 PM
its called a spoiler for a reason Neil :lol:

Spoilers are relative. eg: You might be talking about something in the most recent episode, which some may not have watched... But I assume you're talking next series!?

-- -------- Post added 15-Jun-2012 at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was 08-Jun-2012 at 08:18 PM ----------

WTF? Reallllly? - http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/18441163

So they're going through all this nonsense just because of a similarity? And they've even going to have to cut the scene out of future DVDs/Blurays? OMG!

shootemindehead
15-Jun-2012, 01:51 PM
Weak.

Neil
15-Jun-2012, 03:41 PM
WTF? Reallllly? - http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/18441163

So they're going through all this nonsense just because of a similarity? And they've even going to have to cut the scene out of future DVDs/Blurays? OMG!

Here you go! This is what all the fuss is about!

http://www.chud.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/bush_game_of_thrones.jpg

This is what HBO are apologising for, and removing footage from their DVDs/Blurays for... UTTERLY, TOTALLY, DAFT!!!

shootemindehead
16-Jun-2012, 02:36 AM
It probably has more to do with the guys saying "That's George Bush's head man!!!!"

The feckin ejits. If they'd said nothing at all, there wouldn't be a problem.

But seriously though, deleteing the scene from future releases? I don't even have the will to give out about that, it's just lilly livered.

Christopher Jon
16-Jun-2012, 03:09 AM
It probably has more to do with the guys saying "That's George Bush's head man!!!!"
I didn't even see the similarity until you pointed it out.

Meh.

Whatever.

I'm more upset over having to wait a year for season three.

Neil
20-Jun-2012, 01:41 PM
16 minutes of Game Of Thrones highlights...

...if highlights are nudity :)

Obviously NOT WORK SAFE - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/56481

clanglee
24-Jun-2012, 03:48 AM
http://youtu.be/j7lp3RhzfgI

Oh this is so hilarious and true.

j7lp3RhzfgI

CoinReturn
14-Jul-2012, 11:38 AM
Season 3 - New Characters:

rpSDSgChsaI

A nice video, and it's good to see Beric cast, but where the hell is Mance Rayder?! Heads will roll if they don't get James Purefoy for the part...

clanglee
15-Jul-2012, 03:08 AM
Yes!!! I was so excited when I found out they cast the Reeds!!!

Tricky
19-Jul-2012, 06:16 PM
I wasn't sure whether to put this in the games forum, but anyway, this is way cool! Westeros recreated in Minecraft

http://www.bitrebels.com/design/minecraft-replica-of-westeros-puts-your-dirt-hut-to-shame/

Neil
24-Jul-2012, 12:58 PM
I wasn't sure whether to put this in the games forum, but anyway, this is way cool! Westeros recreated in Minecraft

http://www.bitrebels.com/design/minecraft-replica-of-westeros-puts-your-dirt-hut-to-shame/
Are those really from Minecraft, or just a rendition?

CoinReturn
17-Aug-2012, 09:50 PM
Mance Rayder has finally been cast, and it's none other than Caesar (Ciarán Hinds) from HBO's "ROME":

At long last, one of the biggest questions about the third season of "Game of Thrones" has been answered: Entertainment Weekly reports that veteran thespian Ciarán Hinds ("Political Animals," "Rome") has been cast as the King Beyond the Wall, Mance Rayder.

Without going into too much detail or spoiler territory, Rayder has already been referenced several times on the show and is the leader of the wildlings, hence the King Beyond the Wall title. Rayder plays a very important part in the story's action, particularly the story line of Jon Snow (Kit Harington), whom we last saw being dragged away to meet Rayder at the end of season two.

Although I was hoping for James Purefoy, and they've aged the character up a bit, I don't have a problem at all with this casting. He's a great actor who should bring something unique to the role. Can't wait until March 31st!!

CoinReturn
03-Dec-2012, 01:34 AM
2yj0e0r_yLI

Production videos are nice, but I'm really waiting for a legit trailer.

Neil
03-Dec-2012, 08:43 AM
Can't wait!

AcesandEights
03-Dec-2012, 01:28 PM
where the hell is Mance Rayder?! Heads will roll if they don't get James Purefoy for the part...

I really like Purefoy, not sure I see him as Mance, though...but even as I type this sentence I'm rethinking it and he could probably be great in the role.

shootemindehead
03-Dec-2012, 01:40 PM
Haven't a clue who or what Mance is, but I've been thinking to myself "I bet Ciaran Hinds will pop up somewhere" since the show began.

CoinReturn
23-Feb-2013, 02:24 PM
Season 3 trailer:

RzI9v_B4sxw

Neil
23-Feb-2013, 03:04 PM
^ No! No! Not going to watch!

Tricky
23-Feb-2013, 03:07 PM
^ No! No! Not going to watch!

Don't worry that trailer doesn't give anything much away, however having read all the books up to halfway through "A Feast for Crows" now there is a hell of a lot just in that short trailer that I recognise from the past two books! Can't wait! :D

Neil
23-Feb-2013, 04:41 PM
^ I'm a couple of books in and generally the series has been close to the books from what I've seen!

rongravy
22-Mar-2013, 12:53 AM
I just started finally watching this. Not bad, but I have two issues...
One: That guy's eyebrows, the one who played Conan in the reboot. Dave Navarro called and wants them back.
Also: Yeah, wayyyyyyyyy too much tits and ass action going on. My kid eventually left the room. The gore is fantabulous, but I could totally do without all that steaminess.
I've only watched the first two episodes so far, btw, but I'm going to finish up a few more tonight. See if it truly grabs me...

Neil
22-Mar-2013, 10:27 AM
I just started finally watching this. Not bad, but I have two issues...
One: That guy's eyebrows, the one who played Conan in the reboot. Dave Navarro called and wants them back.
Also: Yeah, wayyyyyyyyy too much tits and ass action going on. My kid eventually left the room. The gore is fantabulous, but I could totally do without all that steaminess.
I've only watched the first two episodes so far, btw, but I'm going to finish up a few more tonight. See if it truly grabs me...

Oh, it's definitely not kid friendly! See how you feel about it after 5-6 episodes :)

AcesandEights
22-Mar-2013, 01:28 PM

Neil is absolutely right, the show does not get anymore family friendly as things go along.

But damn is it good.

Neil
14-Apr-2013, 11:24 AM
Well, two shows into the new series and so far so good!

AcesandEights
14-Apr-2013, 04:08 PM
Well, two shows into the new series and so far so good!

And I've been loving it!

kidgloves
14-Apr-2013, 10:10 PM
And I've been loving it!

+1.
I am finding I have to watch the episodes at least twice to keep up though. Not complaining as the show is so good.

shootemindehead
14-Apr-2013, 10:30 PM
Yeh, I was completely lost at the end of S03E02.

Who are the guys that show up at the end?

AcesandEights
14-Apr-2013, 11:58 PM
Yeh, I was completely lost at the end of S03E02.

Who are the guys that show up at the end?

They are men sworn to Roose Bolton, whose sigil is the "flayed man of the dread fort" (in the tv show, this looks sort of like a red x on blue). Roose Bolton is a Northman, sworn to Robb Stark, the King in the North. They would be one of the last groups (aside from the Karstarks who want to avenge the loss of family at Jaime's hands) who Jaime and Brienne would want to be captured by.

shootemindehead
15-Apr-2013, 12:35 AM
Cheers Aces.

rongravy
15-Apr-2013, 12:46 AM
See how you feel about it after 5-6 episodes :)
In episode 5 I was treated to some guy's ding dong, and about 10 seconds listening to some dood blowing another guy.
Ew.
That being said, I did enjoy watching the rest of it and was completely surprised when:
Sean Bean got beheaded. I was like, "WHAT?!?"
I'm waiting until season 2 is no longer in the newer release section so each disc will only be 50 cents. I'm not paying $4. I'm an extremely patient tight ass...
But yeah, I am ready for more.

CoinReturn
15-Apr-2013, 02:09 AM
Ep.3 was fantastic - the final scene had me cringing!

It's also worth nothing that it was David Benioff and D.B. Weiss' directorial debut.

clanglee
18-Apr-2013, 07:23 AM
I loved everything about Episode 3. Can anyone remember if that scene with Podrick in the whorehouse was in the books? I can't remember. But if it wasn't in the book. . it shoulda been. Hilarious stuff.

Neil
18-Apr-2013, 08:33 AM
*spoiler*

I enjoyed it but wish the hand chopping hadn't been so broadcast! Could see it coming...

Neil
23-Apr-2013, 08:26 AM
Wow! This weeks episode was brilliant!

CoinReturn
25-Apr-2013, 03:07 AM
Wow! This weeks episode was brilliant!

I couldn't agree more. It was perhaps my favorite episode of the series so far, and I absolutely cannot wait for the rest of the season to play out. Things should just get better and better from here on.

clanglee
25-Apr-2013, 04:28 AM
Yes! I agree! Favorite episode evah!! Even though I knew what was going to happen, that last scene played out on screen better than it ever did in my mind. Just Badass!

Neil
16-May-2013, 02:12 PM
Why is Theon Greyjoy being tortured by Ramsay Bolton?

AcesandEights
16-May-2013, 03:23 PM

He's a sociopath. Also, he should properly be referred to as Ramsey Snow at this point, as he's the Bastard of Bolton.

Neil
16-May-2013, 03:24 PM
Surely there's a better reason for that? What have we seen in the series so far to warrant his hatred? I don't recall him really explaining the reason?

AcesandEights
16-May-2013, 03:24 PM

He's a sociopath. Also, it is one of the ways he gains compliance, and he may well have plans for Theon. Also, Ramsay should properly be referred to as Ramsey Snow at this point, as he's the Bastard of Bolton.

Neil
16-May-2013, 03:27 PM
So it's a matter of 'watch this space' at the moment then?

AcesandEights
16-May-2013, 03:30 PM
Yup, but honestly...the character is mainly cruel, sadistic, evil and pushes his agenda by fear.

Also, do you feel more sympathy for Theon now, after having gone under the knife? :)

Just kidding, hope it went well/smoothly.

Neil
17-May-2013, 08:04 AM
Also, do you feel more sympathy for Theon now, after having gone under the knife? :)
I hate torture in films etc and will generally avoid material concentrating on it. So seeing the stuff happening to Theon at the moment is painful for me to watch!

AcesandEights
17-May-2013, 01:32 PM
I hate torture in films etc

I know. Unfortunately, you may never get an adequate answer (to your way of looking at things) as to why these things are happening to Theon.

ASOIF is supposed to be gritty, and is at times painfully so. Some say RB is a counterpoint to a lot of other characters in the narrative, which makes sense, he certainly underlines certain moral hazards of the world the characters inhabit.

clanglee
17-May-2013, 03:22 PM
Also, it's sort of a family tradition. . Torture that is. The sigil of house Bolton is the Flayed Man. The Boltons used to skin their enemies. They have even skinned a few Starks way back in antiquity. Probably a genetic predisposition towards sociopathy in the family.

Neil
17-May-2013, 03:27 PM
But why the special interest in Theon? Why the vendetta?

AcesandEights
17-May-2013, 04:18 PM
But why the special interest in Theon? Why the vendetta?

RB is a monster. He does worse than this to other, less prominent guests that fall into his hands. Theon is of somewhat more lasting worth, as he is highborn, a war leader (prior to his capture) and the last son of Balon Greyjoy (current King of the Iron Islands)...so he gets special treatment.

To give you a (not too spoilerish) idea from one of the wikis:

He is a capable manipulator and possesses a low cold cunning, particularly good at thinking on his feet, though less savvy when it comes to long term consequences and intricate politics. Ramsay openly enjoys abusive and sick practices such as having young women stripped naked and released into the Bolton forests, before hunting them with a pack of feral dogs. He gives a quick death to women who give him good sport (after raping them first), then flays their corpses. He likes to name his dogs after the women he enjoys most to "honor" them. The women who don't give him good sport are raped and then flayed alive. All the skins of his kills are brought back with him to the Dreadfort as gruesome trophies. The bodies of the woman are fed to his dogs.

So the world in which ASOIF takes place is not the neo-vic brand of entertainment I gather you normally enjoy, Neil, if you don't mind my saying so. There will be a lot of earthy yuckiness (blood, piss, sex, violence etc.) of this sort ahead.

Neil
17-May-2013, 04:47 PM
^^ So he's a psycho then!?!? Doesn't really come across as having lost it so much on TV!? Guess because you don't know that sort of background at least!

AcesandEights
17-May-2013, 05:04 PM
^^ So he's a psycho then!?!? Doesn't really come across as having lost it so much on TV!? Guess because you don't know that sort of background at least!

Things are playing out somewhat differently in the TV show with regards to his introduction, and I think they are leaving so much vague for some sort of reveal in this season's finale. I honestly know a lot of people who haven't read the books who still are asking me who the guy who's torturing Theon is.

And yeah, he is a very disturbing character. I actually cringed my way through those few torture chapters and their aftermath in the book...very uncomfortable reading.

Neil
17-May-2013, 05:07 PM
I'm going through the book(s), buy just behind the TV series. Sort of fills things in nicely...

AcesandEights
17-May-2013, 05:11 PM
I'm going through the book(s), buy just behind the TV series. Sort of fills things in nicely...

Well, I enjoy the story arc and appreciate both Theon and RB a lot (for what I feel are their respective purposes in the story), but it gets to be tough going on those chapters. This was sort of one of the noticeable structural departures from the book, which streamlines a few matters, but leaves another few things up in the air. I'll be interested in whether you think it was done for better or worse when you are caught up.

clanglee
18-May-2013, 06:20 AM
Yeah I've been a bit put off by the lack of explination for Theon's torture myself. Mostly because I feel it may alienate non-book readers from the story. . but I still hold faith that they will eventually get to the point in some grand reveal fashion. Hopefully the non-book readers will be filled in the their satisfaction.

Neil
28-May-2013, 12:44 PM
Argh! We missed an episode this week, so have to wait till next week for ep9...

Did you US folks have to suffer too? Or are you guys a week ahead of us now?

AcesandEights
28-May-2013, 02:41 PM
Argh! We missed an episode this week, so have to wait till next week for ep9...

Did you US folks have to suffer too? Or are you guys a week ahead of us now?

No, we're still on track with you folks in the UK. Maybe it's my ethnocentrism, but I assumed the new episode was not premiered due to the U.S. holiday weekend.

shootemindehead
28-May-2013, 03:27 PM
Yeh, I think it's a Memorial Day thing.

clanglee
28-May-2013, 10:07 PM
Yeh, I think it's a Memorial Day thing.

And more to the point a Ratings thing. Ratings would have suffered over the holiday weekend with people out and about. And the second to last episode is usually when all the good stuff happens. So they wanted full viewership on their big episode.

AcesandEights
03-Jun-2013, 02:32 PM
One of the big scenes I've been waiting for since the show was announced and I feel they definitely did it justice!

How did you guys feel about the...

Red Wedding?

CoinReturn
03-Jun-2013, 09:41 PM
How did you guys feel about the...

Red Wedding?

No hyperbole, one of the most shocking moments in TV history. I thought it was unbelievably well done, and the slight differences from the book's account of things made for more impact, imo. Even though we knew it was coming, my friend and I were pretty shocked at the brutality of it. As the silence of the credits wafted over us, the only thing I could get out was "...dude..."

So yeah, besides that it was well paced and well shot. Definitely a top tier episode. I'm just glad it wasn't the finale, we get one more :)

Neil
03-Jun-2013, 10:23 PM
Jesus H Christ!

AcesandEights
05-Jun-2013, 02:12 PM
What? No Shootem or Clang reactions, yet? :)

And, CoinReturn, I completely agree with your spoiler tagged summation!

Neil
05-Jun-2013, 03:17 PM
It was an epic bit of TV...

My only quibble was the Hollywood'esque nature of Arya turning up just at the 'right' second...

Tricky
05-Jun-2013, 07:01 PM
It was an epic bit of TV...

My only quibble was the Hollywood'esque nature of Arya turning up just at the 'right' second...

That's how it goes in the book as well though (not seen the episode yet, but I'm 2 books in front of where the show is at)

kidgloves
06-Jun-2013, 07:33 PM
Holy f*cking christ
whaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Neil
06-Jun-2013, 10:21 PM
^ LOL! Did you rewind and watch the last ten mins again like most of the rest of the viewers?

kidgloves
07-Jun-2013, 07:11 AM
^ LOL! Did you rewind and watch the last ten mins again like most of the rest of the viewers?

No. I'm a bit traumatized by it. No joke.

clanglee
08-Jun-2013, 02:37 AM
Sorry Aces. . was still recovering. . .

Amazing! The changes from the book actually added to the shock value. VERY well done. Everything I was hoping for and then some.

Also this. . . 78juOpTM3tE

Neil
12-Jun-2013, 11:41 AM
So, unless I'm mistaken:-
TV S01 = Book "A Game of Thrones"
TV S02 = Book "A Clash of Kings"
TV S03 = First half of book "A Storm of Swords"
TV S04 = Second half of book "A Storm of Swords"?

... so given now some books are resulting in two seasons, we could be getting a lot of seasons with at last 7-8 books in total?!

Neil
24-Jun-2013, 01:41 PM
Grrrr! I've got to stop reading the book now. I've caught up (& infact just gone beyond) the series... I prefer watch the TV episodes then going through the book.

Have to say the wedding was done better in the TV series than the book IMHO!

AcesandEights
24-Jun-2013, 02:11 PM
Have to say the wedding was done better in the TV series than the book IMHO!

I agree it was done to devastating effect for the TV series and got rid of even more dead wood than the book version. Very smart, as it is even more necessary to the TV series to help keep a more streamlined cast and narrative.

clanglee
03-Jul-2013, 08:10 PM
It's hard to say for me. The tV version of the wedding was brutal and terrible, but I knew it was coming. The book. . .it just sucker punched me and left my jaw agape for a long time. Then I threw the book across the room and ranted and raved for a bit. So the show couldn't really have the same first time effect on me that the book had. Ya know?

dracenstein
15-Jul-2013, 08:32 PM
Haven't seen the third series yet, I get the blu-ray box set just before the new series air, but I watched the Red Wedding on youtube...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=anV48ukkgXQ

Having read all the books, mostly before the tv series started, I have to say I prefer the book version, with Cat sensing everything wrong from the start and the musicians playing badly (because they were crossbowmen), and the murder of Robb's wife could be spoilers for a plot issue yet to be resolved in the books.

Neil
16-Jul-2013, 08:48 AM
^^ Personally, I think the TV adaptation was tighter and more effective than the book...

I've got to this place in the books (reading along with the TV series), but noticed Rob's wife has not died yet? ie: In the TV series she was butchered at the wedding, but in the book, she wasn't there?

dracenstein
16-Jul-2013, 10:08 AM
re:spoilers, no, hence my last line in my previous post. Won't give it away, but on the Westeros site there is some speculation about her and how her death in the series may have betrayed a sub-plot line.

shootemindehead
13-Oct-2013, 09:42 PM
What? No Shootem or Clang reactions, yet? :)

That's cos I've only just seen the last few episodes today Aces.

To be honest, I've struggled to get through the 3rd series. There was a bit too much "who are they", "why is he/they doing that", and "what the fu*k?" going on for me this time around. I had to re-watch a couple of episodes too.

And I'm with Neil on the whole Greyjoy torture thing. I'm like "eh?" At one point I thought that Robb had hired that little shit to cut up Greyjoy for betraying him. I really hope there's an explanation coming for what's going in there.

Either way though, the red wedding thing was great and one word left my gob after seeing it. It begins with an F and ends in a K and has a C and U in the middle.

I was losing the faith there for a while, but roll on February. I'm all set again.

Arya's story is still my favorite thing going on though. Although the way people are dropping dead in this show, I wouldn't be surprised to see her head on a stick come March.

CoinReturn
13-Jan-2014, 01:37 PM
Season 4 trailer #1:

xZY43QSx3Fk

AcesandEights
13-Jan-2014, 02:01 PM
I'm so ready I don't even have the words to voice my anticipation :)

Neil
13-Jan-2014, 02:52 PM
^^ No! Not going to watch that trailer! Don't want anything spoiled!

clanglee
14-Jan-2014, 06:05 PM
^^ No! Not going to watch that trailer! Don't want anything spoiled!

http://www.google.com/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://i.lv3.hbo.com/assets/images/series/game-of-thrones/character/s3/hodor-1024.jpg&sa=X&ei=SYrVUt_zNo6fkQeih4AY&ved=0CAkQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNGomfvwTo9LQlcoCJJe11SdpfoF4g

Hodor sees what you did there

Neil
10-Feb-2014, 02:58 PM
Not going to watch this myself... Must resist!

J5iS3tULXMQ

Neil
18-Feb-2014, 04:00 PM
d2ZNaLQD60Y

clanglee
18-Feb-2014, 06:51 PM
Yup. . . my excitement is ramping up again. . .alas however, I am about to drop cable tv. . . so I believe I will have to snark an HBO GO password from someone. . . .or wait a couple of hours after the premier at least.

Neil
24-Feb-2014, 11:10 AM
Yeh, just like TWD, it's being shown in the UK just one day behind the US now!

So we get it Mon 7th April 2014 at 9:00pm :)

Be a nice way to help cheer me up when TWD season ends!

dracenstein
25-Feb-2014, 07:42 PM
Just finished watching season 3 on blu-ray, but don't have channel to watch season 4...

It looks good in the trailers...

Neil
26-Feb-2014, 07:51 AM
Just finished watching season 3 on blu-ray, but don't have channel to watch season 4...

It looks good in the trailers...

So did you have the O!M!G! moment at the wedding?

dracenstein
26-Feb-2014, 07:31 PM
Nope, read the books before the series was made. Loved it! Also loved the Jon Snow vs Wildings fight in same episode.

Really loved the Danaerys taking control of the Unsullied! Dracarys! Epic moment and loved the music that went with it.

Neil
26-Feb-2014, 08:38 PM
Nope, read the books before the series was made. Loved it! Also loved the Jon Snow vs Wildings fight in same episode.

Really loved the Danaerys taking control of the Unsullied! Dracarys! Epic moment and loved the music that went with it.

I've felt that the series has done a few things better than the books too! Seems they tightened a few scenes/moments up.

dracenstein
02-Mar-2014, 08:20 PM
In season three, we had 7 deaths,

Jeor Mormont
Robb Stark
Talisa Stark
Catelyn Stark
Lord Karstart
Orell Skinchanger
Ros

Beric Dondarrion doesn't count, I guess.

In season 4 we have, I estimated, perhaps 5 deaths off hand (notable characters), but I read that one may be merged with another character from a later book, so possibly 1 reprieve. I won't mention names tho.

rongravy
03-Mar-2014, 03:17 PM
I've already professed my lack of love for this show elsewhere, so I'll skip any of that chatter today. I will say I've now seen two shows that play off the name.
Game of Arms - about, you guessed it: arm wrestling.
And now: Game of Stones?!?
Looks like some kind of jeweler reality show. We get it, everybody likes Game of Thrones...
Bleccchhhhhh!!!

What's next?
Behind the scenes reality show about porn stars and call it Game of Boners?!?

Neil
19-Mar-2014, 02:37 PM
As per normal, not watching the trailer myself! With the Walking Dead ending, at least this fills the gap nicely!

Z1Y_qhzxn2c

Neil
06-Apr-2014, 12:55 PM
yyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!

AcesandEights
07-Apr-2014, 02:04 AM
Awesome start to the season! :)

clanglee
07-Apr-2014, 01:12 PM
It was Indeed! although I has to search and search to find a website that steamed it. . .and then wait another hour for it to buffer (must have been a lot of people watching) It was great tho. Hit all the right points. . .and they had one of my favorite Arya scenes. . .kinda. . . .a bit different because of the show changes to the book storyline. . .but essentially the same.

Neil
09-Apr-2014, 02:31 PM
Nice first episode. I'll give it a couple more then recommence my routine of reading the books along with the episodes.

They've greenlit the next two seasons too - http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/26952051

dracenstein
15-Apr-2014, 08:31 PM
Long live the King....ur....

Neil
22-Apr-2014, 02:27 PM
Enjoying it so far!

shootemindehead
22-Apr-2014, 04:18 PM
Yeh, it's great. Last year was a bit of a trudge for me, I have to say, until I got to the obvious episode.

But we're back on now.

Kind of sorry to see the little bastard go though. He was great to hate. Gleeson completely nailed it. Now we just have his mum to go all Orwellian on, seeing as Jamie is all goodytwoshoes lately

Neil
08-May-2014, 12:04 PM
I'm just ahead of the TV series in the book(s) and iIt's clear the series is showing the story threads in a slightly different order to the book(s).

What's really confusing me is John returning to Craster's Keep?

In the book that doesn't/hasn't happened yet. Instead he's defending the wall! Seems they've move this thread back I assume to show the attack on the wall towards series end?Indeed I'm confused why in the TV series he's even gone back to Craster's Keep? What's his goal/purpose?

shootemindehead
08-May-2014, 01:37 PM
There's a bunch or traitors/rebels there that know too much about the strengths and weaknesses of the wall and he wants to get rid of them.

That's how I saw it anyway.

AcesandEights
08-May-2014, 01:40 PM
What's really confusing me is John returning to Craster's Keep?

In the book that doesn't/hasn't happened yet. Instead he's defending the wall! Seems they've move this thread back I assume to show the attack on the wall towards series end?Indeed I'm confused why in the TV series he's even gone back to Craster's Keep? What's his goal/purpose?

It's said straight out right before Jon asks for volunteers. Mance and his army will undoubtedly pass by Craster's and with such a large group of former Brothers of the Night's Watch they will most likely not be missed. Jon Snow lied to the Wildlings about how many men cover not only Castle Black, but all the other castles along the Wall and Jon and the remaining men of the Night's Watch (a beleaguered lot, to be sure) can't afford any of that or similar intelligence falling into Mance's hands. It's a decent rationale honestly.

That said, I think the producers just wanted some quick action and a sense of resolution to some of the characters injected into an otherwise very plot laden and character development oriented episode.

Neil
08-May-2014, 01:57 PM
can't afford any of that or similar intelligence falling into Mance's hands.
That makes sense! Thanks!

As I said, I'm ahead of the series now in the book(s), but can't put it down. Figure it's no worse for me to know what's coming watching the TV series than to know what's coming when reading the book(s) :)

Neil
04-Jun-2014, 10:59 AM
So, folks still enjoying it? :)

For those that have read the books, I do hope "The Wall" lives up to the book in the upcoming episode(s)!

BTW - What the hell was Tyrion's talk about bugs all about? What a waste of X minutes!

shootemindehead
04-Jun-2014, 02:20 PM
Last episode was great.

It's weird, but I was kinda glad when the Spanish fella got his head crushed, even though he was the...er..."good guy". Waaaaay too cocky.

I wonder, if both champions are killed, does the little fella get off? Don't tell me.

Neil
04-Jun-2014, 06:55 PM
^^ One was certainly dead before the other though wasn't he!

shootemindehead
05-Jun-2014, 10:46 AM
Is that how it works?

Oh well...

Neil
17-Jun-2014, 12:12 PM
Finale bears previous viewing figures - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27882719

The closing episode of fantasy TV series Game of Thrones drew 7.1 million viewers on HBO in the US on Sunday, beating the 5.4 million who tuned in for the previous season's last episode.

Neil
11-Jul-2014, 01:50 PM
Impressive!

OlgvuywT9oM

AcesandEights
11-Jul-2014, 03:42 PM
Wow, I hope their budget continues to stand up to the tasks required of it!

follyu
12-Jul-2014, 07:35 AM
Really enjoyed the fourth season. It was upto my expectations. It is the best show after friends and breaking bad.

Neil
03-Feb-2015, 07:52 AM
Got a bad feeling about this new season... And the music to this trailer doesn't help it!

A0pLbTXPHng

MinionZombie
03-Feb-2015, 06:23 PM
Having caught up on the first four seasons over the Christmas holidays in a massive binge session, it's gonna be a bit naff to have to watch them one episode per week, hehe. :D

Neil
10-Mar-2015, 12:06 PM
Season 5, 2nd trailer:-

4VQ6vyQuX7c

clanglee
11-Mar-2015, 03:56 AM
Damn, been so long I can't remember how to embed a picture

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/147/4/3/Jizzed_in_My_Pants_poster_by_SmileyFace102.jpg

*edit* There you go, Clang. :) Just use the "img" and "/img" tags, each with square brackets around them (e.g. [img])

Neil
12-Apr-2015, 01:31 PM
Bring it on! :sneaky:

kidgloves
13-Apr-2015, 01:33 PM
The first 4 episodes of the new season have been leaked online so watch out for spoilers people

MinionZombie
13-Apr-2015, 02:53 PM
The first 4 episodes of the new season have been leaked online so watch out for spoilers people

Aye, I saw about that - would be kind of pointless though, because you'd end up waiting a month for episode five. Best to just stick with one episode a week ... which is kinda naff after I had a full-on catch-up binge over Xmas when I barged all four seasons.

16 minutes until tits? Getting a bit slack there, GoT.

;):p:lol::D

Neil
13-Apr-2015, 03:17 PM
Aye, I saw about that - would be kind of pointless though, because you'd end up waiting a month for episode five. Best to just stick with one episode a week ... which is kinda naff after I had a full-on catch-up binge over Xmas when I barged all four seasons.

16 minutes until tits? Getting a bit slack there, GoT.

;):p:lol::D

16 minutes??? At least tell me they belong to Carice van Houten? They'd be worth waiting for :)

shootemindehead
13-Apr-2015, 05:45 PM
Just stick on 'Black Book'.

You get the whole damn show in that.

And she's ten years younger as well... :shifty:

Neil
15-Apr-2015, 07:08 AM
I enjoyed the first episode. Obviously had to set the seen between what happened, and what is now happening, and did that fairly well.

- - - Updated - - -

Record viewing figures in the UK - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32299006

The season five premiere of Game of Thrones has set a new ratings record for Sky Atlantic, with 1.57 million viewers - a 6.7% share of the audience.

MinionZombie
15-Apr-2015, 09:43 AM
Record viewing figures in the UK - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32299006

With figures like that I'm a bit surprised they're not trying to cram in more adverts - the episode was about 55 minutes, and so the slot only allowed for 5 minutes of adverts - and with Silicon Valley starting next week at 10pm (with Thronecast afterwards) it doesn't look like they're going to change that, which is a pleasant surprise ... I'd have thought they would have wanted to get as much advertising revenue out of it as possible. Maybe those five minutes are very expensive indeed? :p

Neil
15-Apr-2015, 09:52 AM
With figures like that I'm a bit surprised they're not trying to cram in more adverts - the episode was about 55 minutes, and so the slot only allowed for 5 minutes of adverts - and with Silicon Valley starting next week at 10pm (with Thronecast afterwards) it doesn't look like they're going to change that, which is a pleasant surprise ... I'd have thought they would have wanted to get as much advertising revenue out of it as possible. Maybe those five minutes are very expensive indeed? :p

...I always start watching it (& any program I really like) at least 15mins late... so simply FF through any adverts anyway :)

AcesandEights
15-Apr-2015, 02:31 PM
Oh, it airs with commercials in the UK...that hadn't occurred to me as a likelihood, but of course it makes sense.

MinionZombie
16-Apr-2015, 09:48 AM
...I always start watching it (& any program I really like) at least 15mins late... so simply FF through any adverts anyway :)

:lol:

Yeah, I do that too, and even when fast forwarding through them at 30x I can still see what's being advertised (and 99.9% of it is worthless to me) ... otherwise I watch whatever it is the following day.

Oh, it airs with commercials in the UK...that hadn't occurred to me as a likelihood, but of course it makes sense.

In the UK it airs on Sky Atlantic, which is one of the standard channels with a basic subscription to Sky ... so I suppose that might be why they're not so fussed about showing adverts, but even still, when they aired the likes of Boardwalk Empire or The Sopranos they'd routinely put adverts in throughout the episodes. Sky Atlantic do end up showing stuff from a variety of American channels - so you can get stuff sourced from HBO or Showtime, as well as stuff from "basic cable" or even network channels in America.

Neil
22-Apr-2015, 08:50 AM
Hmmm! If the next episode is like this weeks, I'm giving up the series! I mean there wasn't even a single boob!

MinionZombie
22-Apr-2015, 09:28 AM
Hmmm! If the next episode is like this weeks, I'm giving up the series! I mean there wasn't even a single boob!

:lol::lol::lol:

Talk about getting slack, right? ;):p:D

Neil
13-May-2015, 10:44 AM
Have to say I was worried about this season before it started, but thus far I've been pretty impressed!

MinionZombie
13-May-2015, 06:02 PM
Have to say I was worried about this season before it started, but thus far I've been pretty impressed!

Is that because your fave gal got stripped off to do some seducing? ;)

Lots of setting things up at the moment thus far, for the most part, but setting up of tantalising things. I think watching it one episode per week now has affected my perspective of the show's pace a little, but on the other hand it does afford time to ponder things over the next six days ... although we are now half way through the season, so time does fly. :)

Neil
13-May-2015, 06:56 PM
... although we are now half way through the season, so time does fly. :)

I know... Wow!

And no Bran either!

MinionZombie
14-May-2015, 09:28 AM
I know... Wow!

And no Bran either!

So far anyway, but to be honest that was probably the story I enjoyed the least out of all of them - just lots of walking about with strange people who never give any sodding answers, just a bunch of vague statements that throw up even more questions. It was a sideplot that really felt a bit plodding to me. No doubt there'll be something with that eventually, but perhaps they're waiting until the end of the season to do something with it - perhaps a cliffhanger?

I've not read the books, so I'm purely going on what the TV adaptation is telling me week-to-week.

shootemindehead
14-May-2015, 11:05 AM
Bran is as boring as hell.

It's a slower burn this year, but still enjoyable.

Happy that Jorah Mormont is back, but it looks like he's buggered now. :blood2:

kidgloves
01-Jun-2015, 07:50 PM
Tonight's episode :eek: :D

AcesandEights
02-Jun-2015, 01:00 AM
I know, right!? The last 20 minutes were insane. I wonder what percentage of the season's budget they went through on that episode.

MinionZombie
02-Jun-2015, 09:52 AM
Pretty full-on episode this week, wasn't it? Blimey! Only two left, and apparently the finale is proper good.

Neil
02-Jun-2015, 10:18 AM
I know, right!? The last 20 minutes were insane. I wonder what percentage of the season's budget they went through on that episode.

Another great episode! Game Of Thrones meets The Walking Dead :)

That herd of dead kids! Eeeeek!

Only issues I had were:-
1) Why did the dead bother with the gate/wall and not just come off the cliff in the first place?
2) Can't they swim? What's the difference between a person 1 minute before they're dead (when they can swim) and 1 minute after they're dead, when seemingly they can't swim?

MinionZombie
02-Jun-2015, 06:33 PM
Another great episode! Game Of Thrones meets The Walking Dead :)

That herd of dead kids! Eeeeek!

Only issues I had were:-
1) Why did the dead bother with the gate/wall and not just come off the cliff in the first place?
2) Can't they swim? What's the difference between a person 1 minute before they're dead (when they can swim) and 1 minute after they're dead, when seemingly they can't swim?

Some very creepy moments - such as the dead kids, yes - them taking down that woman (who then came back) was chilling as all get-out!

As for the water issue - I was watching Thronecast last night and they mentioned that Melisandre had referenced the seas freezing over (in her introductory scene in season two) - so the white walkers would then be able to just have a merry jaunt around the wall on the ice and have at it. Shit's getting real, folks! :eek:

Jon's sword killed one - so Valerian steel works as well as dragon glass ... so, I wonder if:
THEORY from the viewpoint of someone (such as me) who's not read the books:
Ser Jorah will be tasked with going back to Valeria - which was over-run with Stone Men when him and Tyrion passed by on the boat a couple of episodes back IIRC - to get some steel from there, being that he's now infected ... quite possibly not, but what with Khaleesi having dragons - and their fire for forging - it could be a possibility to start arming up with the appropriate weaponry.

An audience member on Thronecast also theorised that Bran is 'warging' Khaleesi's one free dragon - training it for the inevitable combat with an army of white walkers.

We shall see...

:shifty:

Moon Knight
03-Jun-2015, 01:04 AM
Masterpiece.

clanglee
06-Jun-2015, 07:30 AM
Tee hee!!! Good to see my longest thread is still going strong! Had to check back with you guys after this last episode. Hmmmmm. . . . Maybe we should move this thread to dead discussion now? ;-)

Neil
09-Jun-2015, 09:07 AM
Another pretty good episode.

Stannis & Melisandre burning Shireen was insanely well done! Very very horrible, and all without seeing a thing really! And we're yet to find out what this sacrifice will achieve?

What will Davos Seaworth do/say when he returns!

MinionZombie
09-Jun-2015, 09:23 AM
Another pretty good episode.

Stannis & Melisandre burning Shireen was insanely well done! Very very horrible, and all without seeing a thing really! And we're yet to find out what this sacrifice will achieve?

What will Davos Seaworth do/say when he returns!

I think Davos kind of knew what was coming - he could sense it in the air - he even pleaded to take the kid (and Stannis' wife) with him to get them away from the battlefield. The stag carving was a parting gift, a last little bit of something nice before the inevitable sadly happened. Davos has stood by for a long time and accepted awful things (including losing his own fingers on one hand) - but I think the sacrificing of the girl will be the final straw for Davos and his allegience will break.

Agreed, they covered the thing well. It was more important to show the effect the act had on the faces of those watching, than to actually see it ... the sounds of screaming were far more effective.

I think next week we'll see a massive ruck at Winterfell, and I hope that the Boltons get slaughtered ... I'd like to see Sansa installed as the "Wardeness of the North" with Brianne as her second-in-command, with Sansa exacting brutal vengeance upon Ramsey (that little bastard), perhaps with Theon/Reek joining in for good measure. I can wait another day for Stannis to get what he deserves, but if he got his due too in the finale I wouldn't be unhappy.

Yep, another awesome episode - that battle with the Faceless Men in the arena was pretty tense and pretty darn awesome too - DROGON!!! \m/ :D

Neil
09-Jun-2015, 09:49 AM
the sounds of screaming were far more effective.Indeed... I wonder how long, and how many attempts those scream took to "get right".

I think next week we'll see a massive ruck at Winterfell, and I hope that the Boltons get slaughtered ... I'd like to see Sansa installed as the "Wardeness of the North" with Brianne as her second-in-command, with Sansa exacting brutal vengeance upon Ramsey (that little bastard), perhaps with Theon/Reek joining in for good measure.Can't see that happening in the one episode left... Too much too cover! Too many loose ends to move on..

...for Stannis to get what he deserves...interesting... You think he's due some payback of some sort? Clearly killing his daughter was not particularly nice, but it's clear he's doing it all for a "greater good"?

MinionZombie
09-Jun-2015, 10:20 AM
Is it really for the greater good in Stannis' case? The man's hellbent on power at any cost - first his brother, now his daughter - the man's lost the plot. A man like that doesn't deserve power, he deserves death.

Melisandre seemed to suggest, as she was getting her norks out again, that there's something more to Jon Snow - that there's something more to his parentage - so I'm wondering if JS actually has, somehow, a better claim than Stannis. Melisandre is all about backing the horse with the greatest chance and she was sizing up Jon Snow as an alternative. Clearly this time she's been able to convince Stannis to take this horrible action - as a result of Ramsey's midnight insurgence (once again that rotten little shit's actions cause untold harm) - but I do wonder if she's now hedging her bets ... trying to get her hooks into Jon Snow, or find an alternative for the throne.

Neil
09-Jun-2015, 12:58 PM
Is it really for the greater good in Stannis' case? The man's hellbent on power at any cost - first his brother, now his daughter - the man's lost the plot. A man like that doesn't deserve power, he deserves death.Maybe so, but he understands unless they unite, they all die - Threat from the north!

He's seemingly the only one with his eye on big picture...

Anyway, one episode left so I want to see Cersei get her revenge!

MinionZombie
09-Jun-2015, 04:18 PM
Anyway, one episode left so I want to see Cersei get her revenge!

I do, but at the same time, I don't - because the daft bugger brought it on herself. She's vicious and scheming, but she doesn't think too many steps ahead - and this time her lack of far-planning has scuppered her royally. Really interesting to see her so downgraded after having strutted around so high and mighty for so long, doing such awful, scheming things (including her own brother!!! :eek: :barf: )

Cersei's definitely more entertaining to watch than these zealots running around King's Landing, though ... so, ultimately, I do want Cersei to win that battle. However, she also deserves to be decidedly humbled by the entire experience. Sooner or later she's going to get everything bad that's coming her way.

clanglee
11-Jun-2015, 03:52 AM
Yep, another awesome episode - that battle with the Faceless Men in the arena was pretty tense and pretty darn awesome too - DROGON!!! \m/ :D
Ahem. (Pushes his nerd glasses up on his nose). I belive you mean Sons of the Harpy. The faceless men are the league of assassins that Arya is currently training with. . . .;)

MinionZombie
11-Jun-2015, 09:36 AM
Ahem. (Pushes his nerd glasses up on his nose). I belive you mean Sons of the Harpy. The faceless men are the league of assassins that Arya is currently training with. . . .;)

Quite right! I meant Sons of the Harpy!

Too many names and titles. I can't remember them all. :o

Neil
16-Jun-2015, 09:42 AM
Well, a great Seaon, although I felt the final episode felt a tad weaker and rushed.

It was also annoying they seemed to leave all the "deaths" to the final episode, kind of where you were expecting them. They'd have been far more effective (unexpected) spread out a bit TBH, as occured in earlier seasons.

MinionZombie
16-Jun-2015, 12:32 PM
Well, a great Seaon, although I felt the final episode felt a tad weaker and rushed.

It was also annoying they seemed to leave all the "deaths" to the final episode, kind of where you were expecting them. They'd have been far more effective (unexpected) spread out a bit TBH, as occured in earlier seasons.

Thought it was a crackin' episode - and quite brutal (No!!! Jon Snow!!! Sad times!!!).

I think that GoT seaon finales are really more set-ups for the following season. They're less about wrapping things up, than giving us new possibilities for the next season.

There's been talk that Jon Snow is properly dead and not coming back, in the wake of a lot of people going on about Melisandre being there (and capable of resurrecting the dead) ... and I've been thinking the same thing ... but I'm wondering if they're doing a sort of double bluff, to try and make people believe Jon Snow's really gone, and then switcheroo it and give us a surprise. Kit Harington doesn't seem to have a bunch of stuff lined up/announced on IMDb (although, perhaps it's part of the entire ruse?) ... ach! You just don't know what to think or who to believe. We'll just have to sodding wait then! :p

Cersei's walk of shame was pretty brutal - I can imagine brutal vengeance soon after, though ... they've let her back into her castle and that's a mistake on the part of the religious gang, she's got her team around her again, her army, she can now wield furious anger once again after Tommin just sat on his arse and did sod all about his mum or his wife! What a lazy shite! :lol:

Neil
16-Jun-2015, 01:14 PM
There's been talk that Jon Snow is properly dead and not coming back, in the wake of a lot of people going on about Melisandre being there (and capable of resurrecting the dead) ... and I've been thinking the same thing ... but I'm wondering if they're doing a sort of double bluff, to try and make people believe Jon Snow's really gone, and then switcheroo it and give us a surprise. Kit Harington doesn't seem to have a bunch of stuff lined up/announced on IMDb (although, perhaps it's part of the entire ruse?) ... ach! You just don't know what to think or who to believe. We'll just have to sodding wait then! :pI'm not going to look at IMDB and the like just because of this. I don't want to know if he's coming back or not.

Cersei's walk of shame was pretty brutal
Saw a post of some people complaining how bad the CGI was of her head being put on her body doubles torsoe. Clearly it fooled me as I thought it was her the whole time!

Can't wait to see her get revenge next series... Should be brutal :) (Especially once she's also heard the good news about her daughter.)

That said, of all the people who "died" in this episode, how many do we actually know are dead? GoT has the annoying habit of being vague about deaths. Is the Hound even dead for example?

MinionZombie
16-Jun-2015, 04:48 PM
Saw a post of some people complaining how bad the CGI was of her head being put on her body doubles torsoe. Clearly it fooled me as I thought it was her the whole time!

Can't wait to see her get revenge next series... Should be brutal :) (Especially once she's also heard the good news about her daughter.)

That said, of all the people who "died" in this episode, how many do we actually know are dead? GoT has the annoying habit of being vague about deaths. Is the Hound even dead for example?

Initially it did seem like Lena Headey did it, but then it was a couple of wide shots where I noticed the CGI blend was iffy - the colours/contrast seemed mismatched to me - and then it was obvious from then on ... so kudos to whoever the lady was who actually performed the body double task in this episode! Getting pelted and shouted at by all those people - crikey! N.B. This isn't meant as a putdown to Lena Headey, just FYI.

As for deaths - yeah, Cersei & Jamie's daughter (the name escapes me right now), we don't know for sure. There is a cure - but how fast does the poison work? They haven't left the port yet, so they could easily turn back and f**k shit up back in Dorne.

Then there's Theon and Sansa - some people have said they jumped to their deaths, but bollocks to that, there's no way that's how they'd go out. They'll jump into a big pile of fresh snow and run off into the woods.

Stannis - we didn't see the strike of Brianne's sword hit Stannis, so he could still be alive.

The Hound - referring back to season 4, but yes, I do have this hope that The Hound will suddenly appear at some point still alive ... what a great character he was.

shootemindehead
19-Jun-2015, 02:21 PM
Well f*ck that anyway...

At the rate were going there'll be nobody left that I like in the show.

Neil
19-Jun-2015, 02:56 PM
Well f*ck that anyway...

At the rate were going there'll be nobody left that I like in the show.

Well:-
1) Is it just by chance Melisandra arrive where she did? Remember these people can raise the dead!
2) Are you not the slightest bit intrigued to see what revenge Cersei brings down on he tormentor?

- - - Updated - - -

Initially it did seem like Lena Headey did it, but then it was a couple of wide shots where I noticed the CGI blend was iffy - the colours/contrast seemed mismatched to me - and then it was obvious from then on ...

I actually undeleted the episode to watch this scene again. I'm still fairly impressed by it. As you say, in one or two scenes it looks like they struggled, but generally it looked pretty impressive to me...

shootemindehead
19-Jun-2015, 04:01 PM
1) Not too sure I like the idea of that.

2) I hate Cersei.

Neil
19-Jun-2015, 06:17 PM
2) I hate Cersei.

Me too... But I hate that self righteous religious b*tch more :)

MinionZombie
19-Jun-2015, 06:35 PM
While I do hate Cersei, the key difference is that I'm intrigued by her story - and I can understand her actions from her perspective - as in, the choices she makes actually make sense in all regards (psychologically, in terms of story, etc). She may be a horrid character that I'll gladly see brought down, but at the same time she's a fascinating watch - the difference between a flat, cardboard villain, and a fully fleshed out character. :)

shootemindehead
20-Jun-2015, 11:26 AM
Me too... But I hate that self righteous religious b*tch more :)

Oh, both of them need flaying for sure, or perhaps some "reek" therapy. Off to House Bolton with the pair of them.

Seriously though, they have to stop killing off the characters I like!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

While I do hate Cersei, the key difference is that I'm intrigued by her story - and I can understand her actions from her perspective - as in, the choices she makes actually make sense in all regards (psychologically, in terms of story, etc). She may be a horrid character that I'll gladly see brought down, but at the same time she's a fascinating watch - the difference between a flat, cardboard villain, and a fully fleshed out character. :)

She's a wretched bitch. Her humiliation wasn't long enough for me. Lena Headley does play a great part. She really nails it. Don't get me wrong. But, Jon Snow's storyline is one of the reasons I'm watching. His and Arya's storylines are the best ones IMO. Tyrion too, but he got sort of sidelined this year to a degree.

Neil
20-Jun-2015, 10:19 PM
She's a wretched bitch. Her humiliation wasn't long enough for me. Lena Headley does play a great part. She really nails it. Don't get me wrong. But, Jon Snow's storyline is one of the reasons I'm watching. His and Arya's storylines are the best ones IMO. Tyrion too, but he got sort of sidelined this year to a degree.

I don't know... I think GoT sort of manages to layer the characters, so even some of the most despicable ones, gave some traits that people can at least latch onto/acknowledge. Exception possibly being Ramsey Bolton :)

Neil
11-Jul-2015, 09:37 AM
XEa-6Vyw-zc

MinionZombie
11-Jul-2015, 10:03 AM
hehe, strange to see the infamous "You know nothing Jon Snow" without the northern accent.

Neil
24-Apr-2016, 11:45 AM
Here comes season 6... :)

MinionZombie
24-Apr-2016, 04:26 PM
Nice touch for Sky Atlantic here in the UK to stick it on at around about 2am tonight (i.e. early hours of Monday morning aka "Sunday night") ahead of the typical 9pm Monday night showing, for those who want to watch it as early as possible. :cool:

What baffles me, though, is why are Sky Atlantic not showing "Thronecast" directly after the episode at 10pm on Monday as they usually do? It's stuck on just after midnight the following day (i.e. 12.10am Wednesday morning). Utterly daft!

Neil
25-Apr-2016, 11:14 AM
What baffles me, though, is why are Sky Atlantic not showing "Thronecast" directly after the episode at 10pm on Monday as they usually do? It's stuck on just after midnight the following day (i.e. 12.10am Wednesday morning). Utterly daft!
Didn't realise that! Thanks for the heads up!

MinionZombie
25-Apr-2016, 06:20 PM
Didn't realise that! Thanks for the heads up!

You're most welcome. Hopefully they put it on in its usual slot soon.

For those who've seen 6x01...

Ooh! Melisandre! Please put the necklace back on!

And about bloody time whats'ername caught up with Sansa after sitting in a flippin' room gazing out the window for the sight of a candle for all of season 5! :lol:

A jolly good start to the season - plenty happening, alright - really looking forward to the rest of the season!

Moon Knight
25-Apr-2016, 06:38 PM
Man, no spoiler threads for GoT?? Blasphemy!

Neil
26-Apr-2016, 07:18 AM
You're most welcome. Hopefully they put it on in its usual slot soon.

For those who've seen 6x01...

Ooh! Melisandre! Please put the necklace back on!

And about bloody time whats'ername caught up with Sansa after sitting in a flippin' room gazing out the window for the sight of a candle for all of season 5! :lol:

A jolly good start to the season - plenty happening, alright - really looking forward to the rest of the season!

Yep...A good first epsidoe to get us back in the swing of things...

Looking forward to seeing John Snow and Cersei dish out some serious revenge!

MinionZombie
26-Apr-2016, 09:37 AM
Mr Snow's doing three fifths of fuck all right now, mind. I can't imagine that's it - particularly with set picture leaks of him wielding a sword. They wouldn't just get him back to play a corpse ... although IIRC they did that with Tywin (or was it a face/body cast?)

Cersei - there was actually a sign of some humility for her ... in fact there was a lot of humility going around in this episode, what with Arya brought down. I'm sure Cersei will get her revenge somehow though ... she won't be brought to heel for long ... can't wait to see the Mountain monster got nuts, too! :elol:

Moon Knight
27-Apr-2016, 05:51 AM
Cersei, Sansa, Arya, Brienne, The Red Woman, The Sand Snakes; damn, the women of GoT are in for one hell of a season!

MinionZombie
27-Apr-2016, 09:45 AM
Cersei, Sansa, Arya, Brienne, The Red Woman, The Sand Snakes; damn, the women of GoT are in for one hell of a season!

Hopefully the Sand Snakes are better this season. I've not read the books, but in advance of Season 5 there were all these people going "oh sweet, the Sand Snakes are coming, OMFG!!!" - and yet they were thoroughly meh - although they were more interesting in this first episode of season 6 than they were in the whole of season 5, but then I found all the Dorne stuff a bit meh generally last season.

I see some folks have pointed out that Melisandre takes off her necklace in an earlier season (when she's in a bath) - so either there's something more to it, or they've made an error (either then, or in 6x01) ... and where did the hunting dogs go to during/after the battle to save Sansa in the woods? Did they just run off? Might have been nice to get a shot of that for a couple of seconds just so they don't dematerialise. :p

Moon Knight
27-Apr-2016, 01:33 PM
Hopefully the Sand Snakes are better this season. I've not read the books, but in advance of Season 5 there were all these people going "oh sweet, the Sand Snakes are coming, OMFG!!!" - and yet they were thoroughly meh - although they were more interesting in this first episode of season 6 than they were in the whole of season 5, but then I found all the Dorne stuff a bit meh generally last season.

I see some folks have pointed out that Melisandre takes off her necklace in an earlier season (when she's in a bath) - so either there's something more to it, or they've made an error (either then, or in 6x01) ... and where did the hunting dogs go to during/after the battle to save Sansa in the woods? Did they just run off? Might have been nice to get a shot of that for a couple of seconds just so they don't dematerialise. :p

I never read any of the books so the Dorne stuff didn't really jump at me. Everything from the small scale of Dorne to even the treatment in the opening credits are handled poorly (It should read "The Water Gardens" not "Dorne").

As far as Melisandre goes, perhaps a continuity error or the necklace has nothing to do with it.

MinionZombie
02-May-2016, 10:41 AM
FYI for fellow Brits - "Thronecast" is back on at the usual 10pm Monday night slot now, right after the episode airs.

Just watched 6x02 (having recorded it in the 2am showing) - oooooooooooh. :D

Neil
03-May-2016, 09:10 PM
Enjoyable episode except:-
1) I thought the "monster" Kings Guard smashing the guys head, although great, was a tad cheap. Who go out and pick on that guy in particular?
2) How soon can a women get up and wonder around normally after child birth? Would seem within tens of minutes in Game of Thrones if there's some hungry dogs around!

Moon Knight
04-May-2016, 03:08 AM
1) I thought the "monster" Kings Guard smashing the guys head, although great, was a tad cheap. Who go out and pick on that guy in particular?
2) How soon can a women get up and wonder around normally after child birth? Would seem within tens of minutes in Game of Thrones if there's some hungry dogs around!

1. Robert Strong gives zero f*cks.
2. I also noticed that. GoT usually doesn't do mistakes like that.

MinionZombie
04-May-2016, 09:44 AM

1) To shut down criticism of Cersei (after a hugely humiliating 'shame walk' through King's Landing) and general slander against her. The others will eventually find his body, and will be less ready to speak against her. Plus we see how strong the Monster is.

2) Yeah! A rather hardy woman, to be up and around that quick after popping out a kid. I'd have thought she would still be passing the after birth or at least catching her breath at that point - especially in that sort of era. A little time jump would have been nice there, maybe a day or two, and reposition it in the episode in order to make it work better? Nevertheless - what a grim scene! I can't wait to see that Ramsey shitebag bite the dust.

Neil
04-May-2016, 12:55 PM
I can't wait to see that Ramsey shitebag bite the dust.
Indeed!

And Cersei and John reap their revenge!

MinionZombie
04-May-2016, 04:20 PM
Indeed!

And Cersei and John reap their revenge!

That too! Now, on Thronecast they were talking about how whenever someone comes back from the dead 'a little more of them is missing' - so might we see a harder edged Jon Snow? Might that be a force that's far stronger than before as a result? I'd love to see Jon kill the instigator of his death - perhaps even that little git of a kid, too ... I was fine with him before and yeah he's been through hell (but shit, Jon's a Stark - they've all had the worst shake of it in Westeros!), and just about tolerated him killing Jon Snow's wildling lady, but being one of the knife wielders? SOD HIM!

Cersei - eventually I'd like to see her brought down for all the terrible things she's done, but at the same time you understand her position and you can kind of respect her for it. Plus, that religious mob in King's Landing are creepy feckers in need of snuffing out ... that pious pontificator in charge is so creepy ... wouldn't it be glorious if they were exposed as massive hypocrites and then slain? :elol::elol::elol: So, even with Cersei's extreme flaws (of which there are many), likewise I'm waiting for the deliciousness that will be her revenge. Seeing the Monster Mountain take out that person who was talking smack about her was hilarious and satisfying - more please! :D

MinionZombie
23-May-2016, 04:02 PM
I'm glad that this season has a real sense of oomph about it. Season 5 dawdled far too much - things are really shifting in season 6 thus far, no fannying about. Loving it, so I am! :cool:

Hodor! "Hold the door" - just got a bit of dust in my eye, is all... :(

Neil
23-May-2016, 09:18 PM
I'm glad that this season has a real sense of oomph about it. Season 5 dawdled far too much - things are really shifting in season 6 thus far, no fannying about. Loving it, so I am! :cool:

Hodor! "Hold the door" - just got a bit of dust in my eye, is all... :(

^ How utterly f***ing genius was that!

FFS! Wow!

Hodor!

MinionZombie
24-May-2016, 09:20 AM
^ How utterly f***ing genius was that!

FFS! Wow!

Hodor!

I'm wondering if there might be a chance we'll see him again at some point - in what way, I don't know (as a white walker?!) - there's a Hound style mystery surrounding his death (we don't see him die, we just assume it). I mean, it's probably quite likely, but you never know for 100 percent sure, you know?

Then again, a few episodes ago, Brienne confirmed thingymy's off-screen death at the end of season 5 as he lay wounded from his half-assed battle with the Boltons, so anything's possible (or indeed, not possible). If this is the last we see of Hodor, though, he certainly went out memorably - and Bran can affect the past! Oooooooooh ... now that opens up some possibilities, but will there be a severe cost/penalty for such things? Flippin' 'eck, the possibilities! :eek:

Neil
24-May-2016, 04:01 PM
The only thing that annoyed me about that end sequence really was the damn Day Of The Dead (remake) ceiling crawlers... Crawling so fast they kept up with the runners on the ground... Silly...

MinionZombie
24-May-2016, 06:22 PM
The only thing that annoyed me about that end sequence really was the damn Day Of The Dead (remake) ceiling crawlers... Crawling so fast they kept up with the runners on the ground... Silly...

Welllllllll ... they're white walkers, not strictly zombies ... I mean, they're basically zombies, but they're their own kind of thing ... they've been raised up by crazy dark magic shit, commanded by an insanely-blue-eyed ice monster man who was created by a bunch of dainty little children of the forest, so they can do what they like, really. That didn't bother me at all - but it did remind me of how effin' awful the Day remake was in that regard, because that was actually supposed to be zombie-zombies, but failed utterly and intensely so. :lol:

Neil
25-May-2016, 07:42 AM
So, I watched the ending again. Am I missing something? Is Bran somehow causing past Hodor to "spaz" out? It doesn't look like he's doing anything?

MinionZombie
25-May-2016, 09:58 AM
So, I watched the ending again. Am I missing something? Is Bran somehow causing past Hodor to "spaz" out? It doesn't look like he's doing anything?

IIRC, Bran is in the middle of a cheeky bit of unaccompanied green-sighting, during which the white walkers turn up - then Bran hears the girl scream for him to warg into Hodor so that the big guy can help them out. So Bran wargs into young Hodor mid-green-sight (so, combining the two abilities) which in-turn links him with grown up Hodor, and it would seem that either he can affect the past or he's closed a time loop, being that the "Hold the door!" instruction became, during young Hodor's fit, "Hodor".

Although, we see Hodor's eyes roll up, then back down again - and I can't recall whether Hodor's eyes stayed rolled up and white, or whether they did roll back down again, whenever he's previously been warg-controlled by Bran.

It was funny on Thronecast when they showed what the Bran actor posted on Twitter after the episode - "Nice one, Bran." :lol:

Neil
25-May-2016, 10:56 AM
"Nice one, Bran." :lol:
Yeh! Classic!

That'll become a T-shirt!

Neil
31-May-2016, 08:22 AM
I enjoyed that episode... Even if there were - amazingly - no boobs!

MinionZombie
31-May-2016, 09:57 AM
I enjoyed that episode... Even if there were - amazingly - no boobs!

One-track mind, Neil, you've got a one-track mind. :p

Judging by the preview of the next episode that was shown on Thronecast, this season really isn't wasting time - fantastic - it's just getting stuck in. There's so much momentum going on - even Khaleesi's finally getting her plans in order to do what she set out to do in season-ruddy-one! :D

Hopefully The Waif will cark it at Arya's hand. Rightly or wrongly, I've never liked The Wait - she's just too bloody smug.

With only four episodes left, and various pieces lined up (or almost lined up), I have a feeling we're gonna see some crazy shit in the coming weeks. :)

Neil
31-May-2016, 04:50 PM
I have a feeling we're gonna see some crazy shit in the coming weeks. :)
Boobs?

MinionZombie
01-Jun-2016, 09:53 AM
Boobs?

http://meme-lol.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Boobs-2014.jpg

Is this you as a nipper? :D

Neil
01-Jun-2016, 04:14 PM
Can't wait to see how The Sparrow pans out... All getting very clever!

MinionZombie
01-Jun-2016, 05:15 PM
Can't wait to see how The Sparrow pans out... All getting very clever!

Hopefully it culminates with the smug twat being lobbed off a tall building, or skewered, or flattened, or anything generally terrible ... and by the hand of the Mountain, too! :elol: I'd love for there to be some kind of revelation that he's not so pious after all.

Zealots, man ... *picks nose* ... they creep me out.

Neil
16-Jun-2016, 09:33 AM
You're shit at dying!

MinionZombie
16-Jun-2016, 09:40 AM
You're shit at dying!

:lol::lol::lol:

Soooo glad that Hound is back! And sooooo glad that ruddy Waif is gone ... I couldn't stand her! :elol:

Next week's episode looks pretty flippin' epic!!! :hyper:

Neil
16-Jun-2016, 12:42 PM
Next week's episode looks pretty flippin' epic!!! :hyper:
Preview from Thronecast?

I never watch the preview of next week... Don't want to spoil it :)

So... Two more episodes... Then two more series... And that's it...

MinionZombie
17-Jun-2016, 09:06 AM
Preview from Thronecast?

I never watch the preview of next week... Don't want to spoil it :)

So... Two more episodes... Then two more series... And that's it...

Yeah, from Thronecast - I gotta get stoked for what's coming, I enjoy the tease of it all. :D

Neil
20-Jun-2016, 09:46 PM
Enjoyed the episode, but it didn't quite feel as good as it should have IMHO...

Also the following annoyed me:-
- Rickon... If someone's shooting arrows at you, just weave left and right a bit.
- Rather risky... What if Rickon had got away?
- If Bolton was that good a shot, why didn't he shoot Jon too?
- Mounds of bodies that high? Really?

MinionZombie
21-Jun-2016, 09:29 AM
Enjoyed the episode, but it didn't quite feel as good as it should have IMHO...

- Rickon... If someone's shooting arrows at you, just weave left and right a bit.
- Rather risky... What if Rickon had got away?
- If Bolton was that good a shot, why didn't he shoot Jon too?
- Mounds of bodies that high? Really?

1) :lol::lol::lol: As I watched that moment I knew you'd be stewing about it. :D Admittedly, I too was thinking "FFS, weave boy, weave!"

2) Part of Ramsey's sheer arrogance? He was so confident at the beginning, so smug - it was delicious when his face changed and he saw the tide change against him. :elol:

3) Because Jon's faster than Ramsey? Plus, it did take him several attempts to get Rickon.

4) Well, you've got a crunch point where the two armies join each other, so as men fall the next rank comes forward, they fall, and so on. Then you've got a 'mountain' of bodies.

I felt a lot more sad for the loss of the giant than I did for Rickon, I have to say.

To be honest, I would have liked to have seen a touch more of Ramsey getting torn apart - really see the terror in his eyes, that utter bastard - but at the same time, the way they shot it chimed with Sansa's wedding night by mostly looking away and focusing on the reaction of the person watching the horrible event (Reek in the former, Sansa in the latter). It's been a long time coming, the re-instatement of Winterfell under the Starks, so it was quite nice when the banners unfurled. :) Feckin' Boltons...

Neil
21-Jun-2016, 12:42 PM
3) Because Jon's faster than Ramsey? Plus, it did take him several attempts to get Rickon.
No.. Out in the field... Jon reached Rickon, and Bolton shot Rickon. Jon then stood there, and Bolton didn't bother trying to shoot him...

Then, Bolton had a free shot at Jon and the dying giant, and shot.... the dying giant?

But hey! Dragons burning down boats :)

MinionZombie
22-Jun-2016, 09:27 AM
No.. Out in the field... Jon reached Rickon, and Bolton shot Rickon. Jon then stood there, and Bolton didn't bother trying to shoot him...

Then, Bolton had a free shot at Jon and the dying giant, and shot.... the dying giant?

They referenced this on Thronecast and it made a lot of sense - Ramsey was deliberately missing Rickon so that he could draw the moment out and kill Rickon when he was within Jon's grasp, so that he could force Jon to fall into his plan, to anger Jon and make him charge ahead without his army. To toss sense out the window and essentially make a mess of the whole battle plan.

With the giant - well, it was practically down as it was, so it was an easy kill for Ramsey - besides, a thing that side, even if on the brink of death, could cause a lot of damage or even kill Ramsey if he wasn't careful. It just took the big guy out of the equation.

Another interesting point they made on Thronecast was that Sansa knew Rickon was dead already. He was alive, but she knew they'd never get him back - and Ramsey did goad and trick Jon through cruelty. More men were likely lost because of that ... might Jon have used his head a bit more pre-resurrection? Might he now be more vulnerable to his baser urges towards violence and revenge?

Anyway - I'm glad that Bolton git is gone ... what a bastard!

Neil
22-Jun-2016, 09:37 AM
Just need Jamie going Jihad over Cersei vs the Sparrow now! Oh to see Jamie and The Mountain going full out to get to the Sparrow :)

Tricky
22-Jun-2016, 05:38 PM

Shit contact drills :p if he'd had the corporal I had on basic training that wouldn't have happened!

Neil
27-Jun-2016, 08:59 PM
Well, interesting last episode...

BTW - How the hell did Varys travel around that quick?

shootemindehead
28-Jun-2016, 01:42 AM
Well, once again 'Game of Thrones' gives me one of the best hours of TV I've ever seen.

This show is better than anything else on tele. Better than 'The Wire', better than 'Breaking Bad', better than 'The Walking Dead'.

Ah, poor old Giant. I really wanted him to live. :(

MinionZombie
28-Jun-2016, 09:49 AM
Well, interesting last episode...

BTW - How the hell did Varys travel around that quick?

TALKING ABOUT THE FINALE HERE:

Yeah, we don't really know the timescale between episodes and even some scenes. Arya made quite a journey, too.

Sooooo much stuff going on in that finale! With Cersei now on the throne, and that look Jamie gave her, I wonder if we'll get to a point where Cersei goes completely mad and despotic with power (particularly now that she's lost all her kids, and barely showed any emotion at losing Tommin - that deliberate step out the window, that little gasp of breath, was chilling!). Then, with Cersei way out there, I wonder if Jamie will be forced into a position where he'll have to kill Cersei - the Kingslayer also becomes the Queenslayer? Now that'd be interesting!

I had hoped that pious arse the High Sparrow would have been exposed as some giant hypocrite, but at least he's gone now! They certainly trimmed their cast list a bit with that scene, didn't they?! :elol:

Arya's revenge was most satisfying! A dish best served as a human meat pie! :elol:

clanglee
29-Jun-2016, 07:55 PM
Altogether I believe this was my favorite season thus far! Good to see my old thread still going on strong. Wish the next book would come out soon tho. . . . that might appease my long wait for next season.

MinionZombie
30-Jun-2016, 09:26 AM
And now we have confirmation on Jon Snow's parentage, with confirmation from HBO to boot. :)

Yes, I've found season 6 to be excellent - especially so after season 5 being kinda lacklustre and plodding for the most part (various brain-exploding moments and revelations aside).

It seems like the remaining seasons will draw inwards more, with not so many disparate factions scattered around all over the place - seems like it's going to get even more focused and sharp. :cool:

Neil
19-Jul-2016, 10:09 AM
Only seven episodes in season 7? And maybe on six for the final (8th) season? I'm a sad panda!

http://www.vox.com/2016/7/18/12215292/game-of-thrones-season-7-release-schedule-announced

MinionZombie
19-Jul-2016, 10:26 AM
Only seven episodes in season 7? And maybe on six for the final (8th) season? I'm a sad panda!

http://www.vox.com/2016/7/18/12215292/game-of-thrones-season-7-release-schedule-announced

Well, they did also say they didn't want to just cram in padding to fill it out to the usual 10 episodes, so I'm happy that they're just telling the story as it needs to be told without shoving in a bunch of filler. Season 5 plodded enough, but 6 got the groove back.

I suppose it's also budgetary. They'll probably cost the same as 10, but those episodes will all be flippin' epic - and no doubt take a long time to film.

It's also going to come on telly later next year because they have to wait for the weather to change in one of their main filming locations so it looks wintery.

Neil
19-Jul-2016, 12:02 PM
Well, they did also say they didn't want to just cram in padding to fill it out to the usual 10 episodes, so I'm happy that they're just telling the story as it needs to be told without shoving in a bunch of filler. Season 5 plodded enough, but 6 got the groove back.

I suppose it's also budgetary. They'll probably cost the same as 10, but those episodes will all be flippin' epic - and no doubt take a long time to film.

It's also going to come on telly later next year because they have to wait for the weather to change in one of their main filming locations so it looks wintery.

I suspect you're right...

But given there may only be 13 episode left... That means we're almost just one season off from the finish now, spread over 2 years... :(

MinionZombie
19-Jul-2016, 04:28 PM
I suspect you're right...

But given there may only be 13 episode left... That means we're almost just one season off from the finish now, spread over 2 years... :(

Yeah, it's a bummer, but we're gonna be in store for some crazy good stuff, I'd think.

Better than when AMC deliberately cuts a normal season in half over two feckin' years (Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Hell On Wheels) when it comes to the last season.

Neil
10-Mar-2017, 11:34 AM
Series 7, the penultimate series, is back in July - http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/39227890/winter-is-coming-the-seventh-series-of-game-of-thrones-will-air-in-july

Neil
16-Jul-2017, 10:55 AM
Not excited... Nope... Not at all...

OK I AM!

MinionZombie
17-Jul-2017, 10:07 AM
Just watched the first episode. Good stuff - not about action, but about settling us in to where everyone is now ... and that opening scene was rather delicious. :D

Neil
19-Jul-2017, 09:37 PM
Just watched the first episode. Good stuff - not about action, but about settling us in to where everyone is now ... and that opening scene was rather delicious. :D

Indeed... Although "the wine" was broadcast somewhat. Shouldn't have made a fuss about it!

Neil
28-Aug-2017, 09:29 PM
Well a good seventh season IMHO...

Looking forward to the eighth and final one now...

MinionZombie
29-Aug-2017, 09:24 AM
Aye! I really enjoyed that. It moved along very briskly and cut out any scrap of filler to just give us the good stuff. There's a whole lot to look forward to in season 8 (which is being written now, but they don't know how long it'll take them to film it ... some theories suggest it could even be 2019 before it premieres). So it could be a ruddy big season, then with full scale war all over the shop.

The demise of Little Finger was excellent. I'd been sucked in by Sansa's apparent sucking-in to Little Finger's poisonous words, but hoped that she'd see sense, so it was fantastic when she turned and said "How do you answer these charges ... Lord Balish?" - that surprised double-take that Gillen gave was delicious. Did you notice that he was still trying to explain his way out of it as blood was spurting from his slit throat? :elol:

And a bit of Targaryan style rumpy pumpy for Jon. Getting his end away has been hard earned ... I wonder how he'll react (having been brought up as a Stark bastard) to discovering she's his Aunt! :eek:

Neil
29-Aug-2017, 10:41 AM
Aye! I really enjoyed that. It moved along very briskly and cut out any scrap of filler to just give us the good stuff. There's a whole lot to look forward to in season 8 (which is being written now, but they don't know how long it'll take them to film it ... some theories suggest it could even be 2019 before it premieres). So it could be a ruddy big season, then with full scale war all over the shop.

The demise of Little Finger was excellent. I'd been sucked in by Sansa's apparent sucking-in to Little Finger's poisonous words, but hoped that she'd see sense, so it was fantastic when she turned and said "How do you answer these charges ... Lord Balish?" - that surprised double-take that Gillen gave was delicious. Did you notice that he was still trying to explain his way out of it as blood was spurting from his slit throat? :elol:

And a bit of Targaryan style rumpy pumpy for Jon. Getting his end away has been hard earned ... I wonder how he'll react (having been brought up as a Stark bastard) to discovering she's his Aunt! :eek:
No.... Not 2019 :(

Still recon we'll have a big fire scene with Jon walking out of it untouched to finally prove who he is...

MinionZombie
29-Aug-2017, 04:34 PM

Still recon we'll have a big fire scene with Jon walking out of it untouched to finally prove who he is...

Ooh, that'd be good! I'd also like to see Jon and Dany flying the two remaining dragons into battle to fudge people's day up. :elol:

I wonder what Tyrion was thinking as he lurked in that corridor while Jon and Dany were getting up to no good?

facestabber
13-Sep-2017, 10:38 PM

That was always my belief for a reveal. But someone pointed out that in season 1, Jon was burned and felt it.

bassman
05-Mar-2019, 05:27 PM
Final Season Trailer:

v9tuFTqIjSk

:hyper:

Neil
09-Apr-2019, 12:56 PM
Just finished watching all the episodes all over again with my other half, who hadn't seen it before. Really has been a glorious seven series so far.

And with the 8th and final season starting in less than a week, I hope thet can carry that quality on...

MinionZombie
09-Apr-2019, 04:08 PM
Just finished watching all the episodes all over again with my other half, who hadn't seen it before. Really has been a glorious seven series so far.

And with the 8th and final season starting in less than a week, I hope thet can carry that quality on...

What did your other half make of GoT after all these years of not watching it?

I got into it a few months before season 5 got going (binged 1-4 over the Xmas holidays). I've not rewatched it all, though ... too many damn things on the watch list for that! :lol:

Have you been watching some of the support programming on Sky Atlantic? They did a Thronecast quiz show which was quite fun, and they had a War Room episode on last night where they mulled over some possible theories for S8.

Neil
09-Apr-2019, 06:40 PM
What did your other half make of GoT after all these years of not watching it?So as a complete noob to it, she found - like me - the first 2-3 episode a steep slope, but then from then on love it.

Have you been watching some of the support programming on Sky Atlantic? They did a Thronecast quiz show which was quite fun, and they had a War Room episode on last night where they mulled over some possible theories for S8.What I'd love to find is a nice technical say hour long documentary which summarised the past 7 series, and where we are now...

MinionZombie
09-Apr-2019, 07:33 PM
What I'd love to find is a nice technical say hour long documentary which summarised the past 7 series, and where we are now...

There is "The Story So Far", IIRC, which they've been broadcasting on Sky Atlantic. I think it's about a 90-120 minute summary of everything up to this point.

bassman
25-Apr-2019, 12:00 PM
^ I’ve heard rumblings that HBO also put in the effort for a comprehensive documentary that will be released when the series is over in a few weeks. Hopefully it’s something like the documentary for Breaking Bad, which was phenomenal! Can’t wait to get my mitts on that!

Speculation from pisodes 801 and 802, leading into 803:
The Winterfell Crypt HAS to be the worst place to hide out, right? They keep mentioning it, and it’s definitely seeming like everyone down there will be some of the first to die at the hands of the white walkers, IMO. Maybe Tyrion turns and then later gets his revenge on Cerci, because the prophecy said she’d die at the hands of her brother?

Jamie is also likely a goner, so maybe he goes for cerci? Seeing as how they tied up everything with his character, theres something happening with that guy. I’m just gonna be mad if he dies before getting some kind of sweet dragon glass weapon for that missing hand! :p

MinionZombie
25-Apr-2019, 04:13 PM
Ooh, I'll very much be watching that comprehensive documentary, then!

I've not been able to see the one for Breaking Bad as that was only on the Blu-Ray box set IIRC (I've got the individual releases, although the general extras on the last couple of seasons of BB were excellent).

Back to GoT and theories...

I'm kinda wondering if 803 and maybe 804 will be dedicated to the White Walker fight, at the end of which they are defeated but with heavy losses. Then the last 2 or 3 episodes get dedicated to the final fight for the throne and tying up all the political machinations.

Being that the four remaining episodes are all in the region of 80 minutes give or take a couple of mins, that's my theory as to the split. Perhaps the Night King will get away but his ranks will be diminished considerably and he heads south? I'm kinda thinking it might be all dealt with at Winterfell with the true believers in the protection of mankind. Meanwhile Cersei's just twiddling her thumbs all smug like, trying to scrub the scent of Euron off herself, and then shit gets real in King's Landing amongst the remaining members of the living. If Jaime survives, I wonder if Brienne will die, and likewise if Jaime dies Brienne will survive (perhaps either one will bury the other?)

In terms of some deaths ... I can't imagine that both Tyrion and Jaime will survive, so one of them's gonna get it, but I don't know how. It's likely going to be a ruddy bloodbath, so I'm steeling myself for losing various favourites like Davos Seaworth. What's his name who had his todger lopped off ... Theon, that's it, he's definitely gonna snuff it, but will finally get a (version of a) hero's death. Ser Jorah Mormont will probably go down in a hail of heroism. One or both of Greyworm and Missandei will likely cark it in all. Maybe The Hound will die trying to save Arya ... man, there's a whole lotta ways it could all go down.

If Cersei survives the season I'd be stunned. I think she's destined for utter tragedy (and deservedly so). I'd love to see Arya snuff Cersei. Indeed, there was a theory posited on Thronecast that perhaps Arya will use her faceless powers/skills to pretend to be a Lannister or someone who can get close to Cersei. So, would that be Tyrion (considering their respectively diminutive heights)? Might all the Lannisters die in one way or another? Hmmm...

The first two episodes have been slow burners (albeit satisfying) and all focused on reminding us where everybody is, why they're there, and episode two was very much about giving us our last time with a lot of these characters, reuiniting old friends and so forth, but I imagine these last four are going to be feckin' crazy! :hyper:

Neil
25-Apr-2019, 05:48 PM
Really enjoying the new/final series so far. Guess the next episode is big battle time...

Moon Knight
26-Apr-2019, 11:16 AM
Episode three is going to be epic.

MinionZombie
26-Apr-2019, 04:21 PM
Episode three is going to be epic.

There'll be jizzy tissues for as far as the eye can see...

Last week I was wondering if we'd begin the action, but as the last night of freedom went on I started to doubt it. Then the Night King turns up with his mates in that epic reveal shot annnnnd ... fuck you, wait for a week. :lol::lol::lol:

bassman
29-Apr-2019, 01:26 PM
No open spoilers, but whew!! What an episode! A few expected things, but also some nice curve balls!

Having watched Avengers: Endgame and this episode on the same day.....my nerdy side is just exhausted!

MinionZombie
29-Apr-2019, 04:17 PM
A pretty epic day of viewing there then, bassman. :D

So, after that episode, consider myself sated (for a week). :lol: I'll talk more about it in the spoiler tags below.

As I was wondering, just the one episode to bash out the White Walkers, which kinda makes sense. The whole show has been about the rightful heir to the Iron Throne, so you don't want to short change that. I figured either 803 & 804 or just 803 to deal with the snow zombies and yep.

Now, I was kinda expecting it to be Jon Snow who killed the Night King, but that was a nifty thing with "brown eyes, green eyes ... blue eyes" as targets of Arya's blade, and a deft move there to knife the bastard, haha.

I figured Theon would go out bravely, albeit somewhat pointlessly ... but mostly bravely. Bran/Three Eyed Raven told him what he wanted to hear and, I kinda think sacrificed Theon in order to bide enough time for Arya to show up. Or could there be a smidge of vengeance from Bran still in there? Maybe, maybe not.

Ser Jorah Mormont's last stand with Khalessi was friggin' epic. Now that's some full blown hero stuff right there. Each time he got stabbed or slashed he got up again to protect his Queen, and then when the fight was won it was all over. It's interesting in that there were basically no final words for anyone's death, for the most part, more last acts. Jorah never got to say anything more, for example, but had a very fitting death.

The battle with the White Walker giant was pretty awesome as well. Oh, and Drogo's men with their flaming swords just being snuffed out in the darkness was awesome. So many huge scale moments, too, truly awesome.

A few bits were a bit too choppy with the editing, which made a few bits hard to follow (moreso with the sheer darkness pervading many scenes). Some nice surprises in there, and some twists on expectations - e.g. The Hound protecting Arya but not dying in the process was nice to see.

I'm still a bit unsure about certain fates - what about Gilly and Greyworm, for example? There's so much going on and you're not entirely sure who's got it and who hasn't amidst the chaos. Hopefully tonight's "Thronecast" will shed a bit of light on all the deaths for an official tally.

I imagine next week's episode will have a lot of post-battle shit to be dealing with and then getting the final two episodes set up. But yeah, 803 certainly was fucking epic. No wonder it took them so long to shoot, haha!

bassman
30-Apr-2019, 12:29 PM
MZ :

Bran and Theon - before the fight was brought to the tree, Theon started to apologize to Bran for the past, but Bran says something to the effect of “everything you’ve done has brought you back to where you belong: home”. So because of that, it gave me the impression that Bran had seen Theon’s whole journey and knew that he would redeem himself with that last act of loyalty. Thus Bran was more forgiving because it was how it was always meant to be?

A smaller scene, but one of my favorites from the episode was the interaction between Tyrion and Sansa while hiding in the crypt after the dead have risen. They’ve always cared for each other on some level, so it was great to see them express that through very little.

It’s still hard for me to accept that the White Walkers’ story is over. It’s been a constant looming threat over the entire series, starting with the very first scene of Season One, so to have them defeated in one episode just doesn’t feel right to me. I’m satisfied with the episode, but there’s something in the back of my mind screaming “it’s a ruse!!!!” :lol:

Neil
01-May-2019, 04:28 PM
No open spoilers, but whew!! What an episode! A few expected things, but also some nice curve balls!

Having watched Avengers: Endgame and this episode on the same day.....my nerdy side is just exhausted!

*SPOILERS*

Enjoyed it BUT:-
1) Why piss away the Dothraki? We don't know what's ever there... We have no need to attack yet... But heck! They'll be OK!
2) Why put cavalry on the front line?
3) Why put artillery on the front line?
4) What the f*** was Bran doing?
5) Could Melisandre not have died in a more interesting way?
6) The copy shown in the UK on Sky had the worse compression banding (in the darker scenes) I have EVER seen :(

MinionZombie
01-May-2019, 05:31 PM
*SPOILERS*

Enjoyed it BUT:-
1) Why piss away the Dothraki? We don't know what's ever there... We have no need to attack yet... But heck! They'll be OK!
2) Why put cavalry on the front line?
3) Why put artillery on the front line?
4) What the f*** was Bran doing?
5) Could Melisandre not have died in a more interesting way?
6) The copy shown in the UK on Sky had the worse compression banding (in the darker scenes) I have EVER seen :(

1) Didn't the Dothraki launch off on their own rather than take an order to do so? I recall Jorah being taken by surprise a bit. The Dothraki are like a barbarian horde, it's bull in a china shop tactics, and they soon found that approach was useless. The overwhelming Dothraki finally faced a force that they could not overwhelm head-on.

4) Well, he's not going to be an awful lot of use in a wheelchair on the battlefield, although it was mostly just using him as bait to get the Night King to go to a specific location so they could attack him and take them all out. Ultimately it worked, but it was a bit curious that Bran/TER just warged into some ravens for a looksee but didn't really do anything useful with the power. Perhaps we'll see more of him being of use in a future battle?

5) Her use to the lord of light had been fulfilled and her being centuries old she was ready to die. Her purpose had been filled and so she could finally give in to death.

6) What's compression banding? Speaking of the darkness, there were lots of people complaining about it. Now, a few shots were quite difficult, although I just closed the blinds and curtains and was able to watch the episode just fine (well, like 98% of the time). Sure, it's dark, but the battle does take place in the middle of the night amidst a huge snow storm that's blocking out the moon, so it'd be a bit daft to have a load of light filling the frames.

I was more concerned with some of the editing in the opening minutes of the battle (after the Dothraki have been dispatched). Too many split-second shots, plus the darkness and rapid moment within the frame, made it hard as balls to figure out what was happening beyond "battle stuff" in a few parts. Fortunately it settled down soon after, but I do wonder why on earth some of those moments were edited so aggressively.

bassman
02-May-2019, 11:33 AM
I believe what Neil is referencing is the compression that takes place when the episode is broadcast, which then crushes the blacks, making the darkness seem much worse than intended. Basically, if you consider how the film is edited, color corrected, etc....they do it all on large screens with 4K+ clarity. As the episode is then aired, whether it be on the network, app, or what have you, it streams at a much more compressed rate and lower quality, thus creating the crushed black effect that we’ve seen everyone complaining about. Even if you’re signed up for the highest quality, the streaming/broadcast reduces that quality.

HBO actually did a big screening of the episode for critics in LA in an attempt to show that it looks much better viewed in the larger and higher quality format. It should ultimately look great on blu ray, as well, as that format has a drastically lower, almost non-existent compression rate, as compared to the streaming sources.

And THAT kids, is another reason why physical media is so important!!! :D

MinionZombie
02-May-2019, 04:20 PM
And THAT kids, is another reason why physical media is so important!!! :D

Hooray! :thumbsup:

Personally I didn't find it too hard to watch, really. I've got my telly set up nicely so it wasn't much of a struggle to see the darker bits. You do have to wonder with some people as I've seen people posting their TV setups on Twitter complaining about GoT's darkness - and there's TVs set up directly in front of a bright window, for example. Gee, I wonder what that's gonna do for the contrast in your eyes? :rolleyes:

Moon Knight
03-May-2019, 09:03 PM
Kinda wanted the Night King and his army to put up a better fight after all these years waiting.

Neil
04-May-2019, 03:30 PM
Hooray! :thumbsup:

Personally I didn't find it too hard to watch, really. I've got my telly set up nicely so it wasn't much of a struggle to see the darker bits. You do have to wonder with some people as I've seen people posting their TV setups on Twitter complaining about GoT's darkness - and there's TVs set up directly in front of a bright window, for example. Gee, I wonder what that's gonna do for the contrast in your eyes? :rolleyes:
It wasn't the darkness. It was the god awful compession of the darker areas leading to huge rainbows of compression artifacts there :(

Moon Knight
07-May-2019, 04:43 AM
People complain about the darkness in TWD too but I can always see fine.

bassman
07-May-2019, 11:37 AM
Soooo.....Cersei is still pure evil. In other news, water is wet. :p

I really enjoyed this fourth episode of the season. I was a bit disappointed that the White Walker story was over so quickly and feared the show would start to drag, but they managed to keep me on my toes!

MinionZombie
07-May-2019, 04:34 PM
I figured that this episode would provide a chance for a breather after last week's massive ruck, a chance for Winterfell to get organised a little bit, and for the politics of King's Landing to be resumed, plus a little skirmish to keep things interesting - and I got what I expected in that regard. :)

I think Khaleesi has just tipped into "Mad Queen" territory now. She is so pathologically focused on killing Cersei and assuming control of the Iron Throne that she is blinded to all of the good she strived to do in her journey to this point. The deaths of Raegar and Missandei didn't help that, that's for sure. Was Missandei saying "Dracaris" the last little shove she needed to push her over the edge?

There was some interesting discussion on Thronecast about Jamie, saying he was quite callous ... however I read it differently. It seemed that, albeit crudely, Tyrion kind of nudged Jamie in the direction of Brienne, and then Jamie (who had intended on staying with her in Winterfell) had this kind of guilt-driven awakening. He doesn't feel he deserves anything good, and perhaps he feels he needs to attempt one last act of good to try and better balance the scales. At the very least, he's drawn to Cersei and some kind of conclusion ... unfinished business. I think his words to Brienne were more to encourage himself to leave when he really didn't want to. I wonder if Jamie will die down south ... and who knows, maybe Arya will get to perform one last face-off moment and kill Cersei? Mind you, they are quite different in terms of height! Not sure how her powers work in regards to that sort of thing, haha!

Looking forward to next week's "Last Battle". I imagine Greyworm will die in battle (I just knew there was no happy ending for him and Missandei), and I also reckon that Euron will get taken out, perhaps by Khaleesi in revenge for the killing of Raegar. Hopefully "The Last Battle" will live up to The Battle of Winterfell ... and occur under sunlight and moonlight, haha!

Neil
07-May-2019, 08:00 PM
The coffee cup was epic!

https://i.imgur.com/dV6UPdb.jpg

My theories - I'm wondering if we're going to see The Hound vs The Mountain? Maybe Arya gets killed and The Hound goes full jihad? And dragon fire vs John, who should be immune to it?

Moon Knight
08-May-2019, 03:23 AM
Lot's of GoT fans trashing the writing this episode.

Cersei not killing Tyrion and Missandei getting captured so lazily got ppl in an uproar among other things. Yes, the Starbucks coffee cup too. lol.

MinionZombie
08-May-2019, 10:10 AM
My theories - I'm wondering if we're going to see The Hound vs The Mountain? Maybe Arya gets killed and The Hound goes full jihad? And dragon fire vs John, who should be immune to it?

Ooooh ... might we see Dany vs John? She goes full blown Mad Queen and tries to take out the rightful heir to the throne, but it can't be done? Hmmm...

Lot's of GoT fans trashing the writing this episode.

Cersei not killing Tyrion and Missandei getting captured so lazily got ppl in an uproar among other things. Yes, the Starbucks coffee cup too. lol.

I don't think Missandei's capture was "lazy". She was on a ship that got ruddy sunk and it was chaos out there, plus she's Dany's right hand woman, so she has value. As for Tyrion? Hmmm ... Cersei's a sadistic bitch, so she probably wants him to witness the fall of the side he opted for as punishment and then personally kill him at close range. Hopefully she won't get what she wants!

Neil
08-May-2019, 08:04 PM
Cersei not killing Tyrion

Here "Hand" was out with the other group to discuss "terms"? Maybe she feared him being killed if Dany's Hand was killed?

MinionZombie
09-May-2019, 10:05 AM
Here "Hand" was out with the other group to discuss "terms"? Maybe she feared him being killed if Dany's Hand was killed?

Aye, fair point, and Cersei's "Hand" has been very useful to her with all his nefarious experiments and inventions in his creepy dungeon.

I also wonder if there's an element of Public Relations to it. Tyrion is, after all, her brother and might the populace not take kindly to that. Sure, Tyrion killed Tywin, but with the bit earlier in the episode where Cersei is "protecting" the populace but actually using them as shields, there's a delicate balance to be struck. Killing a wayward son of Kings Landing could have untold ramifications in terms of PR, whereas killing some random nobody in King's Landing knows who is part of an invading force seemingly hellbent on using dragonfire to obliterate the innocent people of the city is a win-win for Cersei (in that moment at least) as she can prove her strength to her city and get some satisfaction out of it.

bassman
10-May-2019, 05:12 PM
I actually feel bad for the crew about the whole coffee cup thing. It’s such a huge production and they’re so crushed for time, you just know they’re working themselves to death if something like that can go unnoticed all the way to broadcast. I really don’t see it as a big deal either, because you know it’ll be digitally erased for home video and all future releases....

MinionZombie
11-May-2019, 10:43 AM
I actually feel bad for the crew about the whole coffee cup thing. It’s such a huge production and they’re so crushed for time, you just know they’re working themselves to death if something like that can go unnoticed all the way to broadcast. I really don’t see it as a big deal either, because you know it’ll be digitally erased for home video and all future releases....

Yeah. It's fun for us to see that, but it's not as if other shows haven't done that (e.g. the infamous Downton Abbey promo picture prominently featuring a plastic water bottle on the mantle). I never even saw the cup until it had been pointed out, because I was looking where intended - i.e. the character's faces - and no doubt that's what everyone involved in the production was doing as well. I'm a bit surprised that Emilia Clarke didn't notice it - being that it was right in front of her - but yeah, with so many bodies roaming around doing all sorts of jobs on a film set and always racing against time to get their shots for the day, it's easy to slip up somehow.

Moon Knight
11-May-2019, 12:26 PM
I just don’t see Cersei caring about anyone but herself at this point.

MinionZombie
11-May-2019, 04:12 PM
I just don’t see Cersei caring about anyone but herself at this point.

Quite, but the things I mentioned in my post(s) would all be in service to helping her position in the grander scheme of things. She never does anything selflessly, but she always has a reason (and that reason is her success).

King's Landing is already a place where the ruling elite are not liked (even outright hated), but they are feared. A bit of good P.R. would only help her cause, and she's able to make it appear that way while surrounding herself with human shields of the populace of the city.