PDA

View Full Version : The nouveau Romero trilogy poll (because someone would have done it eventually).

JDFP
17-Mar-2010, 06:26 PM
So, of the three new films in the "nouveau" trilogy (because I just can't bring myself to combine the newer films with the older trilogy) which do you think was the best and which the worst?

My vote is for "Diary" being the best of the new trilogy, not because it's necessarily a great film but because I find it to be better and far more watchable than "Land" and "Survival".

I liked "Survival", I thought it was a fun story although there were some issues with it (like why the hell the Plum Islanders had Irish accents when they lived off the coast of DELEWARE), but it was overall fun.

"Land", to me, is the least of the trilogy and, by default, I would say that it is the least of the whole series (*** but we are only considering the nouveau films, and not looking at the original trilogy here ***).

I doubt that anyone here would argue with the statement that you can't compare the newer films to the original trilogy. It's like comparing, well, shit, I don't know... you just can't do it.

Anyway, what are your thoughts?

j.p.

bassman
17-Mar-2010, 06:34 PM
I doubt that anyone here would argue with the statement that you can't compare the newer films to the original trilogy. It's like comparing, well, shit, I don't know... you just can't do it.

I've yet to see Survival(viewing tonight, I think), but I just wanted to say that I very much consider Land to be in the same series as Night, Dawn, and Day. It just feels to be in the same world, imo. Hell...it even has a character from the original trilogy.

I suppose the big question would be if I consider it as good as the first three. That's a no, but it's still one of the best zombie films of the last decade or two and a fitting addition to Night, Dawn, and Day. Diary on the other hand, is a totally different ball game.

MinionZombie
17-Mar-2010, 07:05 PM
I agree with bassman, I consider Land part of the Night-Day series, as Land is 3 years into an outbreak.

Diary goes back to the beginning, so really that's the start of something new, but I can understand the bunching of Land, Diary and Survival in terms of release dates.

So, going with the swing of the question, I voted "Survival best/Diary worst". Not that I hate Diary, but it is the least of the 'latest three', if you will. I've had a turbulent opinion of Diary since 2007, loving it (to be honest I was kidding myself when I first saw it, because I was disappointed to tell the truth), then being really quite let down by it, then being okay with it, and then the last time I watched it recently I think I've mellowed out on it again and I "like" it ultimately, although - in my estimation at least - it is the least of the latest three.

I'm just waiting for someone to say in this thread "where's the option for they're all bullshit?!", considering the sheer hostility some folks here have for any new GAR flick. :sneaky:

darth los
17-Mar-2010, 07:20 PM
Diary best/land worst

Imo, it can't sniff the trilogy's jockstrap.

( Yes I left the word original off because there is only one true trilogy )

:cool:

fulci fan
18-Mar-2010, 03:09 AM
I have not seen Survival yet, but I thought Diary was very annoying. It seems like Romero didn't even direct it. I think that Survival will be the same way. So Land beats both. But that is like saying "Yeah, I will rather drown in gasoline rather than drown in shit."

shootemindehead
18-Mar-2010, 10:03 AM
Like the other lads above, I don't consider 'Land of the Dead' to be part of Romero's misguided "reboot". It's firmly placed within teh context of the original series. The project he should have stuck with.

I actually think 'Land of the Dead' is a decent film, despite it's timeline anomalies.

'Diary of the Dead', on the other hand, I have grown less and less fond of. I only ever though it was ok to begin with, but since its release, the repetitive nature of its "message" and the utter pointlessness of its existence just jars with my enjoyment of it.

Since I haven't seen 'Survival of the Dead', I can't comment on it. But the inital reviews haven't been too kind in the main.

I have not great hopes for it to be honest. It'll probably be just another "meh" effort, from a director who shouldn't have strayed from the path he was on.

MinionZombie
18-Mar-2010, 11:01 AM
Since I haven't seen 'Survival of the Dead', I can't comment on it. But the inital reviews haven't been too kind in the main.

On the contrary, I think the reviews from critics and fans alike have been pretty much split down the middle, a bunch of people dig it, and a bunch of people don't dig it.

Rancid Carcass
18-Mar-2010, 12:03 PM
( Yes I left the word original off because there is only one true trilogy )

When did this become a Star Wars thread? :p

Survival/Diary

Don't like the word 'worst' - I enjoyed all three films.

Ghost Of War
18-Mar-2010, 12:31 PM
Don't like the word 'worst' - I enjoyed all three films.

Same here. But I enjoyed Survival the most, and Land the least. It's Big Daddy's fault.

MinionZombie
18-Mar-2010, 06:53 PM
Same here. But I enjoyed Survival the most, and Land the least. It's Big Daddy's fault.
Aye, "least" rather than "worst", methinks.

bassman
18-Mar-2010, 11:41 PM
Land>Survival>Diary

If it weren't for the brief mention of Diary toward the beginning, I would probably say that survival could fit in nicely with the Night-Land series.

JDFP
19-Mar-2010, 12:07 AM
Aye, "least" rather than "worst", methinks.

Argh, don't take "worst" the wrong way. I'm saying "worst" from the three films, perhaps I should have said: "least" instead of "best" from the new films but semantics is a kick in the ass. Just because it's the "worst" (or "least") of the three doesn't mean it sucks compared to all other films in general.

:)

j.p.

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

I've yet to see Survival(viewing tonight, I think), but I just wanted to say that I very much consider Land to be in the same series as Night, Dawn, and Day. It just feels to be in the same world, imo. Hell...it even has a character from the original trilogy.

Call me crazy (oh hell yeah, I am) but I just don't buy "LAND" as being part of the original trilogy at all. If anything, I can see it as a few months/years down the road from "Survival" and being a third installment to "Diary" and then "Survival" just as "Day" was the completion of the original trilogy.

"Land" just doesn't have the same feel as the original trilogy; I think Big Daddy is a steady movement of the intelligence of the ghouls in "Diary"/"Surival"/ and then "Land" as the final in this new series of films, just as Bub's self-realization was a completion to the original trilogy.

We already know the fun of attempting to place "Land" and "Day" into the same ghoulverse together and fitting properly, I just see "Land" as not being part of the same ghoulverse at all but the growth from "Diary" and "Survival". The weapons used and time-line are all very similar from "Diary" - "Land" just as the original trilogy. The The only difference from the original trilogy is that Romero filmed them in a different order.

It's my personal thought process at least, otherwise what a great bitch it is to attempt to place "Survival" in the same world as "Dawn" as being in the same ghoulverse time-period (a matter of weeks into it). Amazing how fashion/clothing and weapons are so far more advanced in Delaware as opposed to Monroeville in "Dawn" otherwise. Save the polyester, but I think a great deal of fashion was more colorful in the 70's than now. :)

EDIT: I also find it amazing how people on Plum Island, Delaware have Irish accents too... but, ahem.... anyway...

j.p.

bassman
19-Mar-2010, 12:31 AM
When I say that it is in the same series, I don't mean in the same timeline. When I say series I just mean the same phenomenon tolf through different groups.

This is also why I can say that Land is a part of that series. Look at Night, Dawn, and Day. NOTHING connects them other than the problem of the dead rising. Those are thre VERY different films. So in that way I have no problem with connecting Land to those three.

Danny
19-Mar-2010, 12:50 AM
night,dawn,day,land is the original romero tetrology. then with diary he announced a new universe with a different zombie outbreak with different zombies and possibly a different cause to what caused them.
Diary starts a separate universe, think marvel and ultimate marvel, with survival as its sequel.

mista_mo
19-Mar-2010, 01:19 AM
Where is the "I like them all equally" choice? I can understand why the community is so polarized over these films, but none of them, even the 3 new ones, are shit.

shootemindehead
19-Mar-2010, 11:25 PM
Land>Survival>Diary

If it weren't for the brief mention of Diary toward the beginning, I would probably say that survival could fit in nicely with the Night-Land series.

That's good news.

EDIT: I also find it amazing how people on Plum Island, Delaware have Irish accents too... but, ahem.... anyway...

j.p.

We're EVERYWHERE!

About to watch 'Survival of the Dead' now.

Didn't see that one coming.

shootemindehead
20-Mar-2010, 10:57 AM
Wow!

That was bloody awful. :eek:

sandrock74
20-Mar-2010, 09:55 PM
I don't "hate" any of them. I like some better than others, sure. I also have yet to see Survival of the Dead, so I can't comment on it until I've seen it. By the way, when is it coming out??

Exatreides
20-Mar-2010, 11:22 PM
Land could have been a lot better movie, but compared with the...

"omg camera man is immune to things, lets show social comentary down your throat instead of let you figure it out."

Compared with survivals..

"Irish filled isles of Delaware."

I was terribly disappointed in Survival, but not nearly as bad as Diary. Land FTW! in..the context of the newer movies.

krakenslayer
20-Mar-2010, 11:40 PM
Land could have been a lot better movie, but compared with the...

"omg camera man is immune to things, lets show social comentary down your throat instead of let you figure it out."

Compared with survivals..

"Irish filled isles of Delaware."

I was terribly disappointed in Survival, but not nearly as bad as Diary. Land FTW! in..the context of the newer movies.

See, the Irish thing didn't really bother me because, well, I know bugger-all about Delaware so I find that sort of stuff easier to swallow. I guess it's like when you get an American movie set in Scotland, like Loch Ness or Local Hero, where everyone is a crazy eccentric with an exaggerated accent; it probably doesn't bother foreigners, but to Scots and other Brits it just seems stupid.

Someone could make a movie about the Delawarian isle of green-eyed Chinese girls and I'd probably just accept it, haha! :D

Rancid Carcass
21-Mar-2010, 02:45 AM
[QUOTE=krakenslayer;222022 Delawarian isle of green-eyed Chinese girls[/QUOTE]

Is that the 'promised land' McDermott was on about in DAY? Also, does anyone know how to get there...? :lol:

Mike70
21-Mar-2010, 04:02 AM
green-eyed Chinese girls

do you know how rare that is?:D

clanglee
21-Mar-2010, 09:23 AM
do you know how rare that is?:D
So rare that Lo Pan is now forced to scrape the bottom of the barrel. . . . http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/00443/news-graphics-2007-_443345a.jpg
http://gamesnet.vo.llnwd.net/o1/gamestar/objects/296576_main.jpg

sandrock74
21-Mar-2010, 07:07 PM
So rare that Lo Pan is now forced to scrape the bottom of the barrel. . . .

It's not that rare! I have green eyes.

krakenslayer
21-Mar-2010, 07:18 PM
It's not that rare! I have green eyes.

I never knew you were a Chinese girl, Sandrock! :D

rongravy
22-Mar-2010, 01:37 AM
It amazes me still to hear people who hate Land. Perfect fit, I'd say.
And I personally like what he's doing now. I can't wait to see Survival.
Andale!

sandrock74
22-Mar-2010, 03:32 AM
I never knew you were a Chinese girl, Sandrock! :D

OK, you got me there :p But I do have green eyes; the only one on either side of my family. Maybe it is a rare thing. I'll shut up now.