View Poll Results: Which of the nouveau Romero trilogy is the best and worst?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Land Best / Diary Worst

9 39.13%
  • Land Best / Survival Worst

1 4.35%
  • Diary Best / Land Worst

4 17.39%
  • Diary Best / Survival Worst

0 0%
  • Survival Best / Land Worst

2 8.70%
  • Survival Best / Diary Worst

7 30.43%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The nouveau Romero trilogy poll (because someone would have done it eventually).

United States

The nouveau Romero trilogy poll (because someone would have done it eventually).

So, of the three new films in the "nouveau" trilogy (because I just can't bring myself to combine the newer films with the older trilogy) which do you think was the best and which the worst?

My vote is for "Diary" being the best of the new trilogy, not because it's necessarily a great film but because I find it to be better and far more watchable than "Land" and "Survival".

I liked "Survival", I thought it was a fun story although there were some issues with it (like why the hell the Plum Islanders had Irish accents when they lived off the coast of DELEWARE), but it was overall fun.

"Land", to me, is the least of the trilogy and, by default, I would say that it is the least of the whole series (*** but we are only considering the nouveau films, and not looking at the original trilogy here ***).

I doubt that anyone here would argue with the statement that you can't compare the newer films to the original trilogy. It's like comparing, well, shit, I don't know... you just can't do it.

Anyway, what are your thoughts?

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    I doubt that anyone here would argue with the statement that you can't compare the newer films to the original trilogy. It's like comparing, well, shit, I don't know... you just can't do it.
    I've yet to see Survival(viewing tonight, I think), but I just wanted to say that I very much consider Land to be in the same series as Night, Dawn, and Day. It just feels to be in the same world, imo. Hell...it even has a character from the original trilogy.

I suppose the big question would be if I consider it as good as the first three. That's a no, but it's still one of the best zombie films of the last decade or two and a fitting addition to Night, Dawn, and Day. Diary on the other hand, is a totally different ball game.
    Last edited by bassman; 17-Mar-2010 at 06:36 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    I agree with bassman, I consider Land part of the Night-Day series, as Land is 3 years into an outbreak.

Diary goes back to the beginning, so really that's the start of something new, but I can understand the bunching of Land, Diary and Survival in terms of release dates.

So, going with the swing of the question, I voted "Survival best/Diary worst". Not that I hate Diary, but it is the least of the 'latest three', if you will. I've had a turbulent opinion of Diary since 2007, loving it (to be honest I was kidding myself when I first saw it, because I was disappointed to tell the truth), then being really quite let down by it, then being okay with it, and then the last time I watched it recently I think I've mellowed out on it again and I "like" it ultimately, although - in my estimation at least - it is the least of the latest three.

I'm just waiting for someone to say in this thread "where's the option for they're all bullshit?!", considering the sheer hostility some folks here have for any new GAR flick.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Diary best/land worst

Imo, it can't sniff the trilogy's jockstrap.

( Yes I left the word original off because there is only one true trilogy )

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    I have not seen Survival yet, but I thought Diary was very annoying. It seems like Romero didn't even direct it. I think that Survival will be the same way. So Land beats both. But that is like saying "Yeah, I will rather drown in gasoline rather than drown in shit."

Ireland
    Like the other lads above, I don't consider 'Land of the Dead' to be part of Romero's misguided "reboot". It's firmly placed within teh context of the original series. The project he should have stuck with.

I actually think 'Land of the Dead' is a decent film, despite it's timeline anomalies.

'Diary of the Dead', on the other hand, I have grown less and less fond of. I only ever though it was ok to begin with, but since its release, the repetitive nature of its "message" and the utter pointlessness of its existence just jars with my enjoyment of it.

Since I haven't seen 'Survival of the Dead', I can't comment on it. But the inital reviews haven't been too kind in the main.

I have not great hopes for it to be honest. It'll probably be just another "meh" effort, from a director who shouldn't have strayed from the path he was on.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Since I haven't seen 'Survival of the Dead', I can't comment on it. But the inital reviews haven't been too kind in the main.
    On the contrary, I think the reviews from critics and fans alike have been pretty much split down the middle, a bunch of people dig it, and a bunch of people don't dig it.

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    ( Yes I left the word original off because there is only one true trilogy )
    When did this become a Star Wars thread?

Survival/Diary

Don't like the word 'worst' - I enjoyed all three films.

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Carcass View Post
    Don't like the word 'worst' - I enjoyed all three films.
    Same here. But I enjoyed Survival the most, and Land the least. It's Big Daddy's fault.
    Kill 'em All

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Of War View Post
    Same here. But I enjoyed Survival the most, and Land the least. It's Big Daddy's fault.
    Aye, "least" rather than "worst", methinks.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Land>Survival>Diary

If it weren't for the brief mention of Diary toward the beginning, I would probably say that survival could fit in nicely with the Night-Land series.
    Last edited by bassman; 18-Mar-2010 at 11:43 PM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Aye, "least" rather than "worst", methinks.
    Argh, don't take "worst" the wrong way. I'm saying "worst" from the three films, perhaps I should have said: "least" instead of "best" from the new films but semantics is a kick in the ass. Just because it's the "worst" (or "least") of the three doesn't mean it sucks compared to all other films in general.

j.p.

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I've yet to see Survival(viewing tonight, I think), but I just wanted to say that I very much consider Land to be in the same series as Night, Dawn, and Day. It just feels to be in the same world, imo. Hell...it even has a character from the original trilogy.
    Call me crazy (oh hell yeah, I am) but I just don't buy "LAND" as being part of the original trilogy at all. If anything, I can see it as a few months/years down the road from "Survival" and being a third installment to "Diary" and then "Survival" just as "Day" was the completion of the original trilogy.

"Land" just doesn't have the same feel as the original trilogy; I think Big Daddy is a steady movement of the intelligence of the ghouls in "Diary"/"Surival"/ and then "Land" as the final in this new series of films, just as Bub's self-realization was a completion to the original trilogy.

We already know the fun of attempting to place "Land" and "Day" into the same ghoulverse together and fitting properly, I just see "Land" as not being part of the same ghoulverse at all but the growth from "Diary" and "Survival". The weapons used and time-line are all very similar from "Diary" - "Land" just as the original trilogy. The The only difference from the original trilogy is that Romero filmed them in a different order.

It's my personal thought process at least, otherwise what a great bitch it is to attempt to place "Survival" in the same world as "Dawn" as being in the same ghoulverse time-period (a matter of weeks into it). Amazing how fashion/clothing and weapons are so far more advanced in Delaware as opposed to Monroeville in "Dawn" otherwise. Save the polyester, but I think a great deal of fashion was more colorful in the 70's than now.

EDIT: I also find it amazing how people on Plum Island, Delaware have Irish accents too... but, ahem.... anyway...

j.p.
    Last edited by JDFP; 19-Mar-2010 at 12:20 AM.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    When I say that it is in the same series, I don't mean in the same timeline. When I say series I just mean the same phenomenon tolf through different groups.

This is also why I can say that Land is a part of that series. Look at Night, Dawn, and Day. NOTHING connects them other than the problem of the dead rising. Those are thre VERY different films. So in that way I have no problem with connecting Land to those three.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    night,dawn,day,land is the original romero tetrology. then with diary he announced a new universe with a different zombie outbreak with different zombies and possibly a different cause to what caused them.
    Diary starts a separate universe, think marvel and ultimate marvel, with survival as its sequel.

Canada
    Where is the "I like them all equally" choice? I can understand why the community is so polarized over these films, but none of them, even the 3 new ones, are shit.