PDA

View Full Version : The Mist - Black and White version

LouCipherr
01-Jul-2010, 03:41 PM
Darabont wanted The Mist in B&W, but the studio wouldn't let him.:rolleyes: It's available on the dvd and it's great!

OMG, the B&W version of The Mist works even better than the color version! THAT is how the film should've been done, and damn the studio for not letting Darabont do it that way.

At least he did get it on the DVD. :D

Neil
01-Jul-2010, 03:44 PM
OMG, the B&W version of The Mist works even better than the color version! THAT is how the film should've been done, and damn the studio for not letting Darabont do it that way.

I assume you just turned your colour down? ie: There isn't a specific B&W release?

bassman
01-Jul-2010, 03:46 PM
No...there's an entire edit of the film in B&W. It's available as a special feature on the R1 two disc dvd. Not sure about your side of the pond, though...

Legion2213
01-Jul-2010, 03:54 PM
No...there's an entire edit of the film in B&W. It's available as a special feature on the R1 two disc dvd. Not sure about your side of the pond, though...

I've got the R2 special edition...2nd disc contains the B&W version. :cool:

DjfunkmasterG
01-Jul-2010, 04:08 PM
I've got the R2 special edition...2nd disc contains the B&W version. :cool:

The Blu-Ray has the B&W version and it is region free

AcesandEights
01-Jul-2010, 04:23 PM
The Blu-Ray has the B&W version and it is region free

Perhaps it's time I pick it up and check out this movie with the ending everyone's hedging has somewhat indirectly spoiled.

JDFP
01-Jul-2010, 04:28 PM
Perhaps it's time I pick it up and check out this movie with the ending everyone's hedging has somewhat indirectly spoiled.

The ending of "The Mist" is fantastic. I had a great laugh at it. It's one of the few films I actually saw in the theatre and at the ending I literally started cracking up laughing and the other folks in the theatre just turned around and looked at me like they were mortified. Eh, I guess not everyone sees the humor in it as I do -- their loss.

j.p.

MinionZombie
01-Jul-2010, 05:52 PM
I'm 26 and I've been watching B&W films for years. I've got a bunch on DVD - I'm a Bogart fan, for example - and yeah, B&W photography is much better than colour. It's truer, if that makes sense. B&W feels more like your memory, and it gets to the essence of the subject much more directly than colour.

Colour is full of distraction - it can be beautiful, naturally (e.g. Roger Deakins' cinematography) - whereas B&W is much more intense, especially in a nice strong contrast ... like Film Noir - GORGEOUS!

I can confirm the B&W version of The Mist on the 2-disc R2 DVD (which I bought a few months ago for £3 :cool:), so you might wanna snap that up Neil.

As for "now and then", well, true, all of Cameron's films have sentimental elements to them, but in some things they're handled better, or not such big parts of the overall film - it's front & centre in Titanic, but it doesn't bother me like it once did.

I was all loved-up with Avatar though. :o

Neil
02-Jul-2010, 09:06 AM
I can confirm the B&W version of The Mist on the 2-disc R2 DVD (which I bought a few months ago for £3 :cool:), so you might wanna snap that up Neil.

Confused... A whole new version in B&W? Can't you just turn the colour setting down on the TV with the original? ::rockbrow:

MinionZombie
02-Jul-2010, 09:37 AM
Confused... A whole new version in B&W? Can't you just turn the colour setting down on the TV with the original? ::rockbrow:
Well ... yeah ... but this means you don't have to, plus it's been done properly by those involved. Plus you get more special features.

Neil
02-Jul-2010, 12:11 PM
well ... Yeah ... But this means you don't have to, plus it's been done properly by those involved. Plus you get more special features.

:)

Is the special 2 disc version extended/uncut?

DjfunkmasterG
02-Jul-2010, 12:48 PM

In the UK I dunno, but int he US... Yes,, on the Blu-Ray it is one disc, a BD50

Trin
02-Jul-2010, 02:18 PM

Actually, the BEST version is the colorized version of the B&W version.

MinionZombie
02-Jul-2010, 02:33 PM
Christ, Neil. You can get the double discer for £3, what's the fuss? :D

And I don't think it's a case of "cut or uncut", it's really just "colour or B&W" in terms of different versions. Good extra features on the 2-discer too.

LouCipherr
02-Jul-2010, 02:42 PM
Whoa, interesting. How did I start this thread when I know I didn't start this thread? STOP FUCKING WITH ME! :lol: :lol:

"We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like 'I feel a bit lightheaded. Maybe you should drive.'"

(I know, moved 'cause of being OT, just had to have some fun with it)

Danny
02-Jul-2010, 02:56 PM

£2 in hmv neil, heres a picture of it from my shelf, ignore the flash.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/Photo77.jpg

-also a pack fo black and white old timey poster style art cards that came with it.

it has as follows:

DISC 1:
feature commentary
a conversation with stephen king
deleted scenes with optional commentary
drew struzan: an appreciation of an artist.
behind the scenes webisodes
trailer gallery

DISC 2:

black and white edition
director introduction
the making of the mist
taming the beast: making of scene 35
monsters among us: creature fx
the horror of it all the vfx

Not a bad package for a coin or two.;)

bassman
02-Jul-2010, 03:04 PM
Danny, are your nails painted pink?:lol::moon:

Danny
02-Jul-2010, 03:08 PM

..yeah. not painted, just the colour of them.

why? your not one of those subhumans with claws of ivory that cant reach past your fingers to grip stuff like freaky finger teeth are ya'?

bassman
02-Jul-2010, 03:11 PM
:lol:

Yeah....my nails are more of a white/flesh color. Just busting your balls.

Why does that cover appear to be two images split in the middle? The one on the right is similar to the US release, but whats with the one on the left? Insert card?

Danny
02-Jul-2010, 03:15 PM
:lol:

Yeah....my nails are more of a white/flesh color. Just busting your balls.

Why does that cover appear to be two images split in the middle? The one on the right is similar to the US release, but whats with the one on the left? Insert card?

thats the unsealed pack of art cards from inside, all black and white styled like hitchcock posters.

AcesandEights
02-Jul-2010, 04:01 PM
Not really readin any of the newer posts to avoid spoilers, but I think I'll nab a copy this weekend and see this thing.

I'll keep an eye out for the release with the B&W version as an extra.

DjfunkmasterG
02-Jul-2010, 04:17 PM
Not really readin any of the newer posts to avoid spoilers, but I think I'll nab a copy this weekend and see this thing.

I'll keep an eye out for the release with the B&W version as an extra.

If you got a BR player Aces you can get the BD for like $10.00 a best buy

LouCipherr
02-Jul-2010, 04:33 PM
If you got a BR player Aces you can get the BD for like $10.00 a best buy

Not anymore, price went up. $24.99 for the BR:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Stephen+King's+The+Mist+-+Widescreen+Subtitle+-+Blu-ray+Disc/8917112.p?id=1834711&skuId=8917112&st=the mist

The DVD, however, is $8.99 - not sure if it includes the B&W cut though:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Stephen+King's+The+Mist+-+Widescreen+Dubbed+Subtitle+-+DVD/8689751.p?id=1834711&skuId=8689751&st=the mist

DjfunkmasterG
02-Jul-2010, 05:11 PM
The DVD, however, is $8.99 - not sure if it includes the B&W cut though:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Stephen+King's+The+Mist+-+Widescreen+Dubbed+Subtitle+-+DVD/8689751.p?id=1834711&skuId=8689751&st=the mist

Not that DVD it is single disc, and I never trust BB online prices. I have walked into the store and have gotten way better deals, plus they are pricematching Amazon and a few other places now... so double bonus

LouCipherr
02-Jul-2010, 06:24 PM
I never trust BB online prices. I have walked into the store and have gotten way better deals

Dude, I have to call bullshit on that one - their online deals are better than the in-store prices and I've witnessed it first hand. When I bought my son his ipod touch, it was $189 online and $199 in the store if you didn't buy it online - and they will NOT budge the price in-store to the online price, which I was told by the manager of the store. That's one example of three I can personally attest to. :p

I think if that did happen to you, it was happenstance and nothing else, because from what I've seen that's never been the case.

EvilNed
03-Jul-2010, 09:54 AM
I'm 26 and I've been watching B&W films for years. I've got a bunch on DVD - I'm a Bogart fan, for example - and yeah, B&W photography is much better than colour. It's truer, if that makes sense. B&W feels more like your memory, and it gets to the essence of the subject much more directly than colour.

I disagree. B&W is nice, but it's all to often used as a cover for someone's pretentious dick fantasies of how artsy-fartsy they want to be. I respect a good B&W photographer. But I respect a good colour photographer more.

Danny
03-Jul-2010, 03:52 PM
I disagree. B&W is nice, but it's all to often used as a cover for someone's pretentious dick fantasies of how artsy-fartsy they want to be. I respect a good B&W photographer. But I respect a good colour photographer more.

not wanting to be an indecisive prick, but i think, depending on the subject matter, it can be one or the other.

DjfunkmasterG
03-Jul-2010, 04:18 PM
Dude, I have to call bullshit on that one - their online deals are better than the in-store prices and I've witnessed it first hand. When I bought my son his ipod touch, it was $189 online and $199 in the store if you didn't buy it online - and they will NOT budge the price in-store to the online price, which I was told by the manager of the store. That's one example of three I can personally attest to. :p

I think if that did happen to you, it was happenstance and nothing else, because from what I've seen that's never been the case.

Then your BEST BUY sucks! The one on Germantown will always honor the online price if it is lower. Even if it says Online only because the Mgr at our Best Buy gives a damn about his customers. :p

darth los
03-Jul-2010, 04:58 PM

..yeah. not painted, just the colour of them.

why? your not one of those subhumans with claws of ivory that cant reach past your fingers to grip stuff like freaky finger teeth are ya'?

It looks like a discoloration effect that occurs when your fingers grip something tightly.

:cool:

MikePizzoff
03-Jul-2010, 05:20 PM
The black & white version is the only way I'll watch this movie. I mean, I've seen it in color... but once I got the DVD I was blown away by how black & white can really enhance the feel of the movie. It also makes the CGI look far more realistic.