Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Mist - Black and White version

United States

Question The Mist - Black and White version

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Darabont wanted The Mist in B&W, but the studio wouldn't let him. It's available on the dvd and it's great!
    OMG, the B&W version of The Mist works even better than the color version! THAT is how the film should've been done, and damn the studio for not letting Darabont do it that way.

At least he did get it on the DVD.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    OMG, the B&W version of The Mist works even better than the color version! THAT is how the film should've been done, and damn the studio for not letting Darabont do it that way.

I assume you just turned your colour down? ie: There isn't a specific B&W release?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    No...there's an entire edit of the film in B&W. It's available as a special feature on the R1 two disc dvd. Not sure about your side of the pond, though...

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    No...there's an entire edit of the film in B&W. It's available as a special feature on the R1 two disc dvd. Not sure about your side of the pond, though...
    I've got the R2 special edition...2nd disc contains the B&W version.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    I've got the R2 special edition...2nd disc contains the B&W version.
    The Blu-Ray has the B&W version and it is region free
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    The Blu-Ray has the B&W version and it is region free
    Perhaps it's time I pick it up and check out this movie with the ending everyone's hedging has somewhat indirectly spoiled.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Perhaps it's time I pick it up and check out this movie with the ending everyone's hedging has somewhat indirectly spoiled.
    The ending of "The Mist" is fantastic. I had a great laugh at it. It's one of the few films I actually saw in the theatre and at the ending I literally started cracking up laughing and the other folks in the theatre just turned around and looked at me like they were mortified. Eh, I guess not everyone sees the humor in it as I do -- their loss.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Super Moderator

UK
    I'm 26 and I've been watching B&W films for years. I've got a bunch on DVD - I'm a Bogart fan, for example - and yeah, B&W photography is much better than colour. It's truer, if that makes sense. B&W feels more like your memory, and it gets to the essence of the subject much more directly than colour.

Colour is full of distraction - it can be beautiful, naturally (e.g. Roger Deakins' cinematography) - whereas B&W is much more intense, especially in a nice strong contrast ... like Film Noir - GORGEOUS!

I can confirm the B&W version of The Mist on the 2-disc R2 DVD (which I bought a few months ago for £3 ), so you might wanna snap that up Neil.

As for "now and then", well, true, all of Cameron's films have sentimental elements to them, but in some things they're handled better, or not such big parts of the overall film - it's front & centre in Titanic, but it doesn't bother me like it once did.

I was all loved-up with Avatar though.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I can confirm the B&W version of The Mist on the 2-disc R2 DVD (which I bought a few months ago for £3 ), so you might wanna snap that up Neil.
    Confused... A whole new version in B&W? Can't you just turn the colour setting down on the TV with the original? :
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Confused... A whole new version in B&W? Can't you just turn the colour setting down on the TV with the original? :
    Well ... yeah ... but this means you don't have to, plus it's been done properly by those involved. Plus you get more special features.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by minionzombie View Post
    well ... Yeah ... But this means you don't have to, plus it's been done properly by those involved. Plus you get more special features.

Is the special 2 disc version extended/uncut?
    -Carl Sagan

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post

Is the special 2 disc version extended/uncut?
    In the UK I dunno, but int he US... Yes,, on the Blu-Ray it is one disc, a BD50
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post

Actually, the BEST version is the colorized version of the B&W version.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Super Moderator

UK
    Christ, Neil. You can get the double discer for £3, what's the fuss?

And I don't think it's a case of "cut or uncut", it's really just "colour or B&W" in terms of different versions. Good extra features on the 2-discer too.

United States
    Whoa, interesting. How did I start this thread when I know I didn't start this thread? STOP FUCKING WITH ME!

"We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like 'I feel a bit lightheaded. Maybe you should drive.'"

(I know, moved 'cause of being OT, just had to have some fun with it)
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 02-Jul-2010 at 02:49 PM.