View Full Version : A "Quantum Leap" movie?

Neil
09-Aug-2010, 08:19 AM
How is that going to work?

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Scott-Bakula-Says-That-A-Quantum-Leap-Movie-Is-On-The-Way-20033.html

MikePizzoff
09-Aug-2010, 08:34 AM
I guess it's essentially just going to be a new, extra long, episode.

Neil
09-Aug-2010, 09:07 AM
I guess it's essentially just going to be a new, extra long, episode.
But, to be a self contained movie, they'll have to introduce the premise, go through a few leaps, and come to some sort of finale/outcome... Sounds like a rush :)

Legion2213
09-Aug-2010, 08:22 PM
I used to quite enjoy that show.

Just checked the Wiki page and it was never fully resolved, so the movie could about his "final" leap and the ultimate resolution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_Leap_(TV_series)

bassman
09-Aug-2010, 08:38 PM
I was never a huge fan of the series, but I did enjoy the few episodes I saw. If this film happens, they should make it take place in the 80's rather than present day. The retro feel would really give it an edge, imo.

darth los
09-Aug-2010, 08:56 PM
Huge Sam Beckett fan. Hopefully they won't screw it up like most offerings now days.

:cool:

Legion2213
09-Aug-2010, 09:13 PM
I think they will have to move it to modern to begin with to explain Beckett and Calavicc's advanced age.

The Wiki article claims Beckett never returned...so you could have him contact Calavicc long after the project has been shut down telling him he knows how to get back to his own time with one final mission/jump (not sure how he'd do the contacting seeing as he never returned, but Calavicc could find some sort of time capsule or suchlike).

acealive1
09-Aug-2010, 09:22 PM
it's tied in with sliders, so why not. it'd be a great film

Legion2213
09-Aug-2010, 09:31 PM
You do luvs yer "Sliders" dontcha Ace? :D

How is it tied into QL, are they set in the same Universe/reality or something?

EvilNed
09-Aug-2010, 11:01 PM
I thought Sam Becket leaped into the body of Jonathan Archer and became captain of a starship?

Legion2213
09-Aug-2010, 11:03 PM
I thought Sam Becket leaped into the body of Jonathan Archer and became captain of a starship?

And that Calavicc who we all loved and trusted was a fucking Cylon all along...bastard! :mad:

acealive1
10-Aug-2010, 12:36 AM
You do luvs yer "Sliders" dontcha Ace? :D

How is it tied into QL, are they set in the same Universe/reality or something?

maggie beckett is supposed to be the main guy in quantam's niece.

Legion2213
10-Aug-2010, 12:45 AM
Thats pretty neat, Ace. I never knew that. :)

acealive1
10-Aug-2010, 02:27 AM
Thats pretty neat, Ace. I never knew that. :)

i didnt either til about 2 weeks ago. its almost like the sliders mythos never got 100% out there to fans. and i've been watching it since the first season premiered on fox

JDFP
10-Aug-2010, 03:49 AM
I just read the blurb and apparently neither Dean Stockwell or Bakula are going to be in it as Sam and Al for anything other than a "cameo" -- really, they're going to get younger actors to play them? Probably. Wouldn't surprise me if it's the beginning of a re-boot.

Let me guess... they'll throw Megan Fox in there somewhere along with Zac Efron.

Fuck it. That's right. I'm sick and tired of seeing my childhood raped. I'd rather whack off to Estelle Getty work-out videos than watch something called "Quantum Leap" that ISN'T "Quantum Leap".

j.p.

bassman
10-Aug-2010, 11:35 AM
Fuck it. That's right. I'm sick and tired of seeing my childhood raped. I'd rather whack off to Estelle Getty work-out videos than watch something called "Quantum Leap" that ISN'T "Quantum Leap".

This is simple. Don't see it.:rolleyes:

Danny
10-Aug-2010, 11:49 AM

j.p.

is it somehow going back in time and altering your childhood experience of quantum leap, ironically?
No it's not. remakes and stuff never make the source material any shittier so your childhood remains intact and unsullied. The ip is not special, nor does it belong to you and i would rather see an interesting premise carry on than die and be forgotten and even if its shit who cares that doesnt alter whats come before it.

bassman
10-Aug-2010, 11:59 AM
"George Lucas raped my childhood, waaaaahhhhh" Get he fuck over it and watch the original.

Mr.G
10-Aug-2010, 01:14 PM
Stop ragging on JDFP, I agree that I'm sick of remakes, bad or good ones. Can't Hollywood create something original?

bassman
10-Aug-2010, 01:46 PM
JD is a big boy. He can handle himself. Not ragging on him in particular, anyway.

It's true, though. I'm fucking sick of hearing people whine about it constantly. Remakes are going to happen, so get used to it. The originals will always be there.

Especially remakes of crap tv shows. Yeah, I said it. Looking back at it today, QL is a huge slice of 80's velveeta. It could benefit from a remake.

JDFP
10-Aug-2010, 01:55 PM
This is simple. Don't see it.:rolleyes:

Eh, I'm just releasing some steam. You know if it's a re-boot/re-make it will be completely botched up in a way only Hollywood can do these days. It's just frustrating is all.

Every now and then a little whining just makes me feel better. After all, being around the folks here on the board who do their own complaining/whining it makes me feel better to release some of my own steam.

:D:cool:

j.p.

darth los
10-Aug-2010, 01:57 PM
I just read the blurb and apparently neither Dean Stockwell or Bakula are going to be in it as Sam and Al for anything other than a "cameo" -- really, they're going to get younger actors to play them? Probably. Wouldn't surprise me if it's the beginning of a re-boot.

Let me guess... they'll throw Megan Fox in there somewhere along with Zac Efron.

j.p.

All right buddy, get busy! :lol:

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/39/2010/03/340x_2nfn98p0cmu.jpg

Oh, and you're welcome. ;)

JDFP
10-Aug-2010, 02:27 PM
Stop ragging on JDFP, I agree that I'm sick of remakes, bad or good ones. Can't Hollywood create something original?

No, G., that would require talent and using imagination -- Hollywood has very little of either thing.

j.p.

darth los
10-Aug-2010, 02:32 PM
Well, if people are going to keep paying good money to see it you can bet your ass they'll keep churning them out.

It's up to us really...

bassman
10-Aug-2010, 02:34 PM
It's up to us really...

That won't change a thing, brother. Not a single thing.

darth los
10-Aug-2010, 02:44 PM
That won't change a thing, brother. Not a single thing.

You don't believe that if they stop making their money back on a certain type of film that they'll stop making them and instead churn out films that we will part with our hard earned money for?

It seems to me that if the consumer won't consume do to lack of interest for the product the market has to adjust and give in to what the demand is.

Imo, the key is holding on to our money until that happens.

Now if you're saying people will bitch but won't actually follow through then yeah, I'm with you on that.

bassman
10-Aug-2010, 02:56 PM
No....I'm saying that you can stop going to see them, but all that will do is keep them from your ten bucks. Other people will come in waves to see these things. That's why they keep making them.

So no matter what each of us do individually, the "others"(kids?) will still soak it up because they don't know any better.

And it's rare, but occasionally these remakes are great....

darth los
10-Aug-2010, 03:04 PM
No....I'm saying that you can stop going to see them, but all that will do is keep them from your ten bucks. Other people will come in waves to see these things. That's why they keep making them.

So no matter what each of us do individually, the "others"(kids?) will still soak it up because they don't know any better.

And it's rare, but occasionally these remakes are great....

So then I guess we're in agreement. :)

acealive1
10-Aug-2010, 07:30 PM

you'd rather see 3D instead of a remake?

darth los
10-Aug-2010, 07:52 PM
i didnt either til about 2 weeks ago. its almost like the sliders mythos never got 100% out there to fans. and i've been watching it since the first season premiered on fox

When the cro-mags took wade it broke my heart. :(

I pretty much stopped watching religiously after that. It was here and there from then on in.

acealive1
10-Aug-2010, 09:38 PM
When the cro-mags took wade it broke my heart. :(

I pretty much stopped watching religiously after that. It was here and there from then on in.

that show right there was the poster child for writers or HPIC taking it out on people they hated behind the scenes. the chick who played wade (sabrina lloyd) hated maggie (kari wuhrer) by all accounts because she was apparently a mega bitch off camera. so a meeting of the minds too place and wade was written off as being led to a breeding camp and presumably killed after she served her purpose. but in later episodes she has a slight measure of revenge against the "maggots" by helping remy escape

also the professor was written off in a similar manner. never shoulda let david peckinpah take over. he doomed the series but he also died a fairly early death.....

DubiousComforts
10-Aug-2010, 11:04 PM
is it somehow going back in time and altering your childhood experience of quantum leap, ironically? No it's not. remakes and stuff never make the source material any shittier so your childhood remains intact and unsullied.
While I don't see how a remake changes anyone's prior experience with a classic movie or TV program, you have to admit the same mistakes are being made over and over and over...

"Bakula said that he and Dean Stockwell, who played hologram and time travel guide Al Calavicci in the series, were too old to return to their roles,"

"Too old" to return? Quantum Leap’s premise is about time travel, the characters can be any age you like. Also, Bakula ain’t exactly a grizzled old man. He could easily pull off an updated stint as Sam Beckett and no doubt it would bring fans of the original on-board.

Plus, everyone seems to have forgotten that the sci-fi/time travel premise was simply a device to frame stories packed with social commentary. It isn't going to translate very well as a dopey CGI-laden action spectacle.

JDFP
10-Aug-2010, 11:40 PM
Plus, everyone seems to have forgotten that the sci-fi/time travel premise was simply a device to frame stories packed with social commentary. It isn't going to translate very well as a dopey CGI-laden action spectacle.

Dubious, you mean to tell me that there are stories from a movie/show that can exist primarily intended to tell a story with CGI/special-effects as nothing more than backdrops to the actual story itself? Wow, that just sounds shocking to me. Nah, you have to be pulling my leg. No one in their right mind would focus on telling a good story above and beyond just focusing on kick-ass CGI and special effects. :stunned:

:sneaky:

j.p.

darth los
11-Aug-2010, 02:03 AM
that show right there was the poster child for writers or HPIC taking it out on people they hated behind the scenes. the chick who played wade (sabrina lloyd) hated maggie (kari wuhrer) by all accounts because she was apparently a mega bitch off camera. so a meeting of the minds too place and wade was written off as being led to a breeding camp and presumably killed after she served her purpose. but in later episodes she has a slight measure of revenge against the "maggots" by helping remy escape

also the professor was written off in a similar manner. never shoulda let david peckinpah take over. he doomed the series but he also died a fairly early death.....

Well, that's a shitty way to devide which character lives or dies.

They actually have the series on netflix to watch instantly for free.

Me thinks i need to give it another try.

acealive1
11-Aug-2010, 02:54 AM
Well, that's a shitty way to devide which character lives or dies.

They actually have the series on netflix to watch instantly for free.

Me thinks i need to give it another try.

watch em in the right order. seasons 1-3 have the episodes all screwed up on dvd. also they're pretty cheap on dvd

darth los
11-Aug-2010, 02:56 AM
watch em in the right order. season 1-3 have the episodes all screwed up on dvd

And where might i find the right order?

acealive1
11-Aug-2010, 03:03 AM
And where might i find the right order?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sliders_episodes

had to use wiki, the site i used to go to is kinda screwed up right now