PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Chaplin clip proves time travel?

Neil
30-Oct-2010, 12:38 PM
DF8WF3vGUn8

SymphonicX
30-Oct-2010, 12:40 PM
yeah, strange one that - could be any number of explanations and I'm sure there's been many cases of someone talking aloud whilst cupping their ear LONG before mobile phones were invented anyway....besides - who would they be speaking to? :) Good fun though!

Mike70
30-Oct-2010, 12:58 PM
nice how the first thing this guy does is pimp his "film productions." it is always funny how people jump to the first and wildest conclusion they can come to. the law of parsimony, people, the law of parsimony - learn it, love it, and use it.

anyhoo neil, this has already been debunked. it is most likely a siemens 1924 hearing aid.

here is a link with a vid of someone else, up close this time, using one of these hearing aids. it looks a lot like someone on a cell phone.

this is just one of many places where you can find information debunking this.

http://movies.popcrunch.com/charlie-chaplin-time-travel-video-explained-by-siemens-1924-hearing-aid/

MoonSylver
30-Oct-2010, 01:19 PM
nice how the first thing this guy does is pimp his "film productions." it is always funny how people jump to the first and wildest conclusion they can come to. the law of parsimony, people, the law of parsimony - learn it, love it, and use it.

anyhoo neil, this has already been debunked. it is most likely a siemens 1924 hearing aid.

here is a link with a vid of someone else, up close this time, using one of these hearing aids. it looks a lot like someone on a cell phone.

this is just one of many places where you can find information debunking this.

http://movies.popcrunch.com/charlie-chaplin-time-travel-video-explained-by-siemens-1924-hearing-aid/

Oh sure, that's what THEY want you to think! *cocks tin foil hat at a jaunty angle*

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll234/therealkeng/tin-foil-hat.jpg
:lol:

bassman
30-Oct-2010, 01:53 PM
Wow. How cool is that? I totally believe it. pfft. Some people try way too hard with this silly kind of shit.

I suppose the satelites were sent back in time too? Cell phones don't work on their own...

MoonSylver
30-Oct-2010, 02:06 PM
I suppose the satelites were sent back in time too? Cell phones don't work on their own...

:lol:

Quiet you! With your logic and reeeeason! You're getting in the way of my paranoid fantasies & superstitious delusions!

http://itodyaso.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/tin-foil1.jpg

Neil
30-Oct-2010, 04:24 PM
yeah, strange one that - could be any number of explanations and I'm sure there's been many cases of someone talking aloud whilst cupping their ear LONG before mobile phones were invented anyway....besides - who would they be speaking to? :) Good fun though!

Sure! But how did they get the technology to make a hearing aid in 1924... *cue X Files music!*

Mike70
30-Oct-2010, 04:49 PM
Sure! But how did they get the technology to make a hearing aid in 1924... *cue X Files music!*

the first electrically powered hearing aid was patented in 1880. the first body carried hearing aid that we would recognize as such was patented in 1901. it was called the acousticon.

Most resources consider that to be Miller Reese Hutchinson for his invention called the Acousticon. The Acousticon was available beginning in 1901. The Acousticon was the first body worn electric hearing aid, so it was the first hearing aid that resembled modern ones.

source page:
http://www.myhearingaids.net/who-invented-the-hearing-aid/

what is depicted in that clip is merely someone using the type of hearing aide that was available at that time. simply that and nothing more.

again, apply the law of parsimony to stuff like this.

Trancelikestate
30-Oct-2010, 09:14 PM
I am in no way supporting the time travel theory. In fact it is most likely a 1924 siemens hearing amplifier. However who is she/he amplifying and responding to?

Danny
31-Oct-2010, 07:46 AM
You think by the time technology has progressed that far that we can bend time and space mobiles will be that big? or even something we need to hold up to our head? :rolleyes:

Neil
31-Oct-2010, 10:20 AM
the first electrically powered hearing aid was patented in 1880.
Aha! But how did they get electricity back in 1880? *Cue X Files music (again)*

ps: I'm obviously just joshing about :)

Mike70
31-Oct-2010, 03:08 PM
Aha! But how did they get electricity back in 1880? *Cue X Files music (again)*

ps: I'm obviously just joshing about :)

i think that a crazy dude in a delorean might have had something to do with it.

Wyldwraith
31-Oct-2010, 03:41 PM
TBH,
With the # of Think Tanks and Corporate Labs and Scientific-research-based-Trusts, it's just as likely for a new world-shaking invention to come from the private sector these days as from the government. In times past the government had the big advantage because they had all the manpower to do the legwork of technological development with. Now though, with computer design architecture as advanced as it is, there's no reason to actively disbelieve that a private citizen might develop and construct a prototype of something mind-boggling.

For instance, the military is absolutely convinced that A.I/demi-A.I technology/the pursuit of such is more advanced in the private sector than whatever projects they have cooking. Enough that they've begun trying to develop an encryption method viable against an intelligence capable of tens of thousands of computations a minute. Interesting stuff going on all around us.

Danny
31-Oct-2010, 03:55 PM
For instance, the military is absolutely convinced that A.I/demi-A.I technology/the pursuit of such is more advanced in the private sector than whatever projects they have cooking. Enough that they've begun trying to develop an encryption method viable against an intelligence capable of tens of thousands of computations a minute. Interesting stuff going on all around us.

Makes sense really, i imagine big wigs in the military wouldn't be comfortable with none human intelligence behind the military machine for any number of reasons from lack of humanity to simply one day deciding the enemys reason for fighting is more logical than yours and shuts you down or something. Whereas the private sector would use a.i for business and educational work with relatively less worries about the a.i being less like cortana form halo, and more like skynet.

Eyebiter
31-Oct-2010, 05:57 PM
It's been identified as a German 1920's era hearing aid.
http://www.i4u.com/41737/charlie-chaplin-time-traveler-just-old-lady-using-siemens-hearing-aid

krakenslayer
31-Oct-2010, 06:28 PM
Here's another one. Someone stumbled across this obscure old photograph in the archives of a museum. It documents the re-opening of South Fork Bridge in British Columbia, Canada in 1941 following a flood. Spot the time-traveller:

http://forgetomori.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/ABYC000a00fa.jpg

To be fair, the guy does stand out quite sharply amongst the old-timey felt hats, jackets and ties. His shades look very modern, futuristic even, his printed t-shirt surely was not a common sight in 1941, and he also seems to be carrying what looks like a DSLR camera. Spooky.

Well, believe it or not, every one of those things was available in 1941. The camera is a Kodak Folding Pocket Camera, models of which had been on sale since before the first world war. The printed t-shirt is, under close scrutiny, a sweater with an embossed emblem. As for the shades, here Barbara Stanwyk sporting a similar pair of specs at around the same time period:

http://forgetomori.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/annexstanwyckbarbaradoubleindemnity_02.jpg

MoonSylver
31-Oct-2010, 06:39 PM
:stunned: Bloody hell Kracken. I started laughing at what I thought was an obvious Photoshop job, until I read your explination. And even AFTER reading it, that guy STILL doesn't look like he belongs...:shifty:

Mike70
01-Nov-2010, 02:05 PM
:stunned: Bloody hell Kracken. I started laughing at what I thought was an obvious Photoshop job, until I read your explination. And even AFTER reading it, that guy STILL doesn't look like he belongs...:shifty:

goes to show you that hipsters have always been around.

i think we can chalk this up to a guy, this george clarke jackass, who wants attention for himself and his films. add to that an impressionable audience made up of folks who seemingly will jump to the wildest conclusion and you get this kind of nonsense.

i would love to know just how this film clip was introduced to the audience. i bet that the idea that this was a "time traveler" was suggested to them several times before it was shown.

Legion2213
01-Nov-2010, 08:16 PM
That guy strikes me as a beatnik/hipster type to be honest...but he does look a bit out of place.

MoonSylver
01-Nov-2010, 10:40 PM
That guy strikes me as a beatnik/hipster type to be honest...but he does look a bit out of place.

41 was a bit before the beatnik/hipster movement, if I not mistaken...:confused:. It's just weird that he looks like a modern college kid to me for some reason. :|

DubiousComforts
02-Nov-2010, 12:11 AM
Why do people immediately assume "cell phone" because someone appears to be talking into a hand-held device? Wouldn't a person with the advanced technology of time travel at least have hands-free electronic communication?

I also have to wonder why some that looks like my grandma would aspire to time travel to the 1920s. Grandma had a tough enough time getting up out of her chair.

Legion2213
02-Nov-2010, 06:54 PM
Why do people immediately assume "cell phone" because someone appears to be talking into a hand-held device? Wouldn't a person with the advanced technology of time travel at least have hands-free electronic communication?

I also have to wonder why some that looks like my grandma would aspire to time travel to the 1920s. Grandma had a tough enough time getting up out of her chair.

And regarding the other picture, one would assume that any time traveller hitting the 1940's would have access to a run of the mill double breasted suit, a shirt, a tie and a pair of shoes. :D

No use travelling in time if you can't blend in. :)