PDA

View Full Version : A very small DOTD goof...

MikePizzoff
07-Nov-2006, 05:22 AM
I've never seen anyone mention this. I just caught it tonight...

Roger is unable to walk so he gets carted around, as everyone very well knows. Well, in the shot in which they're standing out front of Penney's and Peter does the whole "no more room..." thing, take a look at Roger's sock on his injured leg; it's dirty as if he's been walking around on it!

Just a little tiny thing that I'm sure some of you will appreciate. Others may flame. :mad:

bassman
07-Nov-2006, 12:45 PM
I noticed this once, as well. I just figured that maybe he limped around while holding onto Peter or Flyboy's shoulders. Specifically, up the stairs to the hideout.

Wait a minute.......was the hallway already closed and were they using the ladder when Roger was still around?:rockbrow:

dmbfanintn
07-Nov-2006, 01:24 PM
I noticed this once, as well. I just figured that maybe he limped around while holding onto Peter or Flyboy's shoulders. Specifically, up the stairs to the hideout.

Wait a minute.......was the hallway already closed and were they using the ladder when Roger was still around?:rockbrow:

Also,

Take a look at the apartment furniture while they are doing the wall. Then later, the furniture has been upgraded. Nice couches and stuff.

If you remember, when Peter shot Roger, the hideaway had boxes and cheap tablks to sit in. This was after the wall was built. Then later whne they are playing cards, the apartment is G'd up!

How did they get all that furniture up through the little hole in the ceiling tile?

Adrenochrome
07-Nov-2006, 01:29 PM
How did they get all that furniture up through the little hole in the ceiling tile?

as many times as I've seen this flick (100's) I've never bothered to question that! :lol: :lol: :lol:

MikePizzoff
07-Nov-2006, 01:54 PM
Also,

Take a look at the apartment furniture while they are doing the wall. Then later, the furniture has been upgraded. Nice couches and stuff.

If you remember, when Peter shot Roger, the hideaway had boxes and cheap tablks to sit in. This was after the wall was built. Then later whne they are playing cards, the apartment is G'd up!

I didn't notice that for about the first 8 or 9 years of watching Dawn. Once I did, I got disappointed and decided it would be best to just block that out of my head.

Philly_SWAT
07-Nov-2006, 02:47 PM
Also,

I think that we see the furniture in the apartment, then OFFSCREEN they bring new furniture upstairs before they build the wall, then they build the wall, then we see them upstairs with upgraded furniture. Peter states something about "bringing the big stuff" upstairs before making the wall.

radiokill
07-Nov-2006, 02:53 PM
I think that we see the furniture in the apartment, then OFFSCREEN they bring new furniture upstairs before they build the wall, then they build the wall, then we see them upstairs with upgraded furniture. Peter states something about "bringing the big stuff" upstairs before making the wall.

that's what I thought, too

dmbfanintn
07-Nov-2006, 03:13 PM

Nope, watch again! They are shown building and painting the wall (you don't paint an unfinished wall) before Peter shoots Roger (When Dr Rousch is giving the "down to the line" speach). When he shoots Roger, look at the furniture in the apartment (When Fran says "it's really all over isn't it"), it's the old stuff. Later, when they are playing cards, the stuff is all updated.

It think you are right about Peter's comments. I he only says it in the Cannes Cut, or maybe it is only in the script, I can't remember. In the theatrical, all he says is, "We'll put up a wall here, that way we can still get to the plumbing"

But I KNOW for a fact, cause this has always bugged me about the film, that the newer furniture comes up AFTER the wall is completed!

Watch it again, you will see.

radiokill
07-Nov-2006, 03:22 PM
Nope, watch again! They are shown building and painting the wall (you don't paint an unfinished wall) before Peter shoots Roger (When Dr Rousch is giving the "down to the line" speach). When he shoots Roger, look at the furniture in the apartment (When Fran says "it's really all over isn't it"), it's the old stuff. Later, when they are playing cards, the stuff is all updated.

It think you are right about Peter's comments. I he only says it in the Cannes Cut, or maybe it is only in the script, I can't remember. In the theatrical, all he says is, "We'll put up a wall here, that way we can still get to the plumbing"

But I KNOW for a fact, cause this has always bugged me about the film, that the newer furniture comes up AFTER the wall is completed!

Watch it again, you will see.

I actually don't know what version I have....It's an older VHS. I'll have to check out because I remember the "big stuff" remark

bassman
07-Nov-2006, 08:34 PM
If i'm not mistaken, the wall was built of 2x4's between walls in a concrete hallway. The actual wall that's attached to the 2x4's seems rather flimsy, when Flyboy and the others break through. Perhaps the entire section could have been removable somehow?

It's a stretch, I know.:D

dmbfanintn
07-Nov-2006, 09:59 PM
If i'm not mistaken, the wall was built of 2x4's between walls in a concrete hallway. The actual wall that's attached to the 2x4's seems rather flimsy, when Flyboy and the others break through. Perhaps the entire section could have been removable somehow?

On hinges, yeah, that's it, hinges!

Marie
08-Nov-2006, 11:57 AM

On hinges, yeah, that's it, hinges!

Naaa, that wall was too flimsy for hinges. A few times opening and closing and it would crumble. Remember, it was made to look like a wall (All the way to the floor) and was made of 2"x4"s and painted cardboard it looks like.

You'd have to put a space at the bottom and maybe some wheels or ball berings to support it, which would ruin the illusion that it's a wall.

M_

dmbfanintn
08-Nov-2006, 12:48 PM
Naaa, that wall was too flimsy for hinges. A few times opening and closing and it would crumble. Remember, it was made to look like a wall (All the way to the floor) and was made of 2"x4"s and painted cardboard it looks like.

You'd have to put a space at the bottom and maybe some wheels or ball berings to support it, which would ruin the illusion that it's a wall.

M_

I was joking Marie...:)

bassman
08-Nov-2006, 12:59 PM
I wasn't suggesting hinges. Just that maybe they could have pulled the wall out, taken up the furniture, and then just as easily put the wall back into place.

.....Or it could just be a f*ck up.:)

Philly_SWAT
08-Nov-2006, 01:33 PM

Actually, I think that is was only 2x2's, not 2x4's, which would obviously be less secure. The wall attached to the 2x2's is in fact very filmsy, looks like just some panleing, not even a sheet of plywood. We never see the hardware store/section where they get the wood from, or if they had to use wood that was in other stores and tear it down there and bring to the hallway. But they had a skill saw, the 2x2's looked new, they appeared to have sawhorses, (unless they just made some), so it seems as if there would have been some plywood, or something stronger than the paneling they use in the mall somewhere, even if had to tear down walls somewhere else in the mall. So it seems that obviously they were building the wall for looks only, not for protecting. They just wanted it to look like there was no door there, so it that was your only goal, it wouldnt matter how "strong" it was or not. But it does seem very weird that they wouldnt want it for protection as well. I mean, since you are building a wall anyway, why not make it as strong as possible, instead of making it for looks only? Its not like they had to be at work soon and had to work fast. Perhaps they did make it flimsy on purpose in order to take it down if needed, and if that is the case, then perhaps they did that in order to bring up more furniture later.

Another though just occured to me as I was typing that. It could be highly possible (I mean, I would do it if I thought of it at the time) that they brought a whole bunch of furniture, and other stuff, thru the door before building the wall. The way it look in the movie, the boiler room was very big, the hallway was very long, there was another room there where the bathrooms were, so there was a lot of space available. They could have put a ton of furniture there, more than would even fit upstairs, just so they would have access to it later, months (or years) after they built the wall. Plus, once the wall was up, they wouldnt need to go down that way anyway, so a bunch of furniture and stuff wouldnt be in the way or anything. I mean, their main purpose in building the wall was to camoflague it so "looters" wouldnt find the hallway/stairway/hideout. So you would want to build the wall as soon as possible, as you would have no way to know when looters would break in. So bringing the new couch and stuff upstairs would not be as important as building the wall, so it would only make sense to bring the couch thru the doorway, set it down, then build the wall, then bring the couch upstairs. This easily and believably explains why we may see new furniture upstairs after they built the wall.

bassman
08-Nov-2006, 01:40 PM
Nice theory, Philly. I never thought of it that way.

Rep for you!..............wait:shifty:

One thing that you made me think of with that theory....
If they built the wall in anticipation of Looters, don't you think it would have been wiser to build it closer to the stairwell to the hideout? I mean, if looters were in the mall and for whatever reason went looking for the boiler room, power supplies, keys for the gates, etc.(just as Roger, Peter, and Flyboy did), they would find that there was no way to it?

THEN they would have wished they had built a stronger wall.:D

MikePizzoff
08-Nov-2006, 05:35 PM

If they built the wall in anticipation of Looters, don't you think it would have been wiser to build it closer to the stairwell to the hideout? I mean, if looters were in the mall and for whatever reason went looking for the boiler room, power supplies, keys for the gates, etc.(just as Roger, Peter, and Flyboy did), they would find that there was no way to it?

I disagree. It's not like the looters would walk down there and be like "HERE! We smash this random piece of wall and hope it leads to the boiler room!" and it just so happens to be the crappy portion of 'fake' wall. I think they'd probably give up after a little bit of searching or not even think of it.

bassman
08-Nov-2006, 05:48 PM
I disagree. It's not like the looters would walk down there and be like "HERE! We smash this random piece of wall and hope it leads to the boiler room!" and it just so happens to be the crappy portion of 'fake' wall. I think they'd probably give up after a little bit of searching or not even think of it.

Well....being that it seemed to be in a back corner of the building, the "whirlybird" on the roof, and the large trucks blocking the doors....it would be pretty obvious that someone was trying to hide something. And like I said, that hallway appeared to be in a back corner somewhere(the most likely place to have a maintenance/employee entrance) and after the wall was built, it had no other purpose besides a soda machine.

Philly_SWAT
08-Nov-2006, 07:47 PM

Thanx bassman, and thanks for the rep.......................wait:shifty:

Roger and Peter did not go looking for the boiler room, power supplies, key for the gates, etc., they just went looking for lighter fluid! OK, they were looking for more than lighter fluid, but they had no idea what they were going to find, they just went down the stairs to look around. Flyboy was only looking fo Roger and Peter. All three of them only found what they found by accident, they werent looking hard for anything in particular. As long as the door-hiding part of the wall looked like the rest of the wall (and I would have my doubts as to how you would get some painted paneling to look like a concrete wall, especially the bottom part of the wall) the looters would have no reason to think something was back there.

bassman
08-Nov-2006, 08:55 PM
Not even the Helicopter on the roof(which initially gave them away to the Bikers), the entrance doors blocked with Semi's, or the fact that there is no control or operations room in the mall would give looters a hint?

I think those would be some pretty good hints to intruders that someone is hiding something. And if it was obvious that someone was hiding something/somewhere....that hallway that leads to nowhere would be the first place I would check.

MikePizzoff
08-Nov-2006, 09:24 PM
Not even the Helicopter on the roof(which initially gave them away to the Bikers), the entrance doors blocked with Semi's, or the fact that there is no control or operations room in the mall would give looters a hint?

I think those would be some pretty good hints to intruders that someone is hiding something. And if it was obvious that someone was hiding something/somewhere....that hallway that leads to nowhere would be the first place I would check.

I don't know, dude. I believe the average person doesn't even think there are boiler rooms, generators, or control rooms in malls. It's very possible it would go undiscovered for eternity if it weren't for that pesky Flyboy!

bassman
09-Nov-2006, 12:19 AM
I don't know, dude. I believe the average person doesn't even think there are boiler rooms, generators, or control rooms in malls. It's very possible it would go undiscovered for eternity if it weren't for that pesky Flyboy!

What? There is basically a central control station in every building. I mean...in a house you have a fuse box that controls all the power, right? Near the beginning of "Dawn" was see them turning on the power to all the lights, the music, the fountains, etc. Common sense tells you that something has to control all of this.

And if you can't find that something in general location, especially a larger building like a mall....you know that something smells fishy. This is, of course, if you didn't figure that out by the large trucks parked parallel to the doors or the helicopter on the roof.:confused:

jim102016
09-Nov-2006, 07:12 AM
Thanx bassman, and thanks for the rep.......................wait:shifty:

Roger and Peter did not go looking for the boiler room, power supplies, key for the gates, etc., they just went looking for lighter fluid! OK, they were looking for more than lighter fluid, but they had no idea what they were going to find, they just went down the stairs to look around. Flyboy was only looking fo Roger and Peter. All three of them only found what they found by accident, they werent looking hard for anything in particular. As long as the door-hiding part of the wall looked like the rest of the wall (and I would have my doubts as to how you would get some painted paneling to look like a concrete wall, especially the bottom part of the wall) the looters would have no reason to think something was back there.

Philly, you've been to the Monroeville Mall...are those rooms (utilities, boiler room,etc.) actually on the second floor as they are in the movie? Wouldn't that stuff normally be on the first floor or in the basement?

Thinking about that fake wall in place... I have to wonder if there could be ways to access those rooms, say from the first floor?

capncnut
09-Nov-2006, 07:15 AM
I think Philly Swat should set up a special Dawn Of The Dead hotline for all those tough questions that need answering! :D

Philly_SWAT
09-Nov-2006, 01:10 PM
Philly, you've been to the Monroeville Mall...are those rooms (utilities, boiler room,etc.) actually on the second floor as they are in the movie? Wouldn't that stuff normally be on the first floor or in the basement?

Thinking about that fake wall in place... I have to wonder if there could be ways to access those rooms, say from the first floor?
I will try to answer this the best way I can. Yes I have been to the Mall, and yes, the boiler room is on the first floor. That is the weird thing about knowing the real locations where things were shot in a movie. You have to dismiss your knowledge about the "real" setting, and only use what the "movie" setting is when discussing the movie. A different good example is this....in the Tom Cruise movie "Days of Thunder", there is a scene where they are at a hotel, and he says to Nicole Kidman, "What are you going to do now, get on a plane, and go back to Daytona?" Well, they filmed that scene at the Hilton right in Daytona, I have been there several times. It seems weird knowing about the "real" location, but in thinking about the movie I have to remind myself that in the movie, they are suppose to be at a hotel in Charlotte, NC, even though they filmed that scene in Daytona.

But back to Dawn and the boiler room.... a few observations about the "real" boiler room location. I dont think that there is more than one way in and out of the boiler room. There is no back entrance, and the room is much smaller than it is made to look in the movie. It is actually located down a service hallway not far from the food court. The employee lounge is located down that hallway (I was tempted to sneak in there and steal one of the "Monroeville Mall" shirts that the food court employees wore, but I didnt!) For those who havent been there and want a location reference to the movie, the food court is located where the skating rink used to be, across from Penny's.

But in the "movie", the boiler room was on the second floor. As for your question as to whether or not there would be access to these rooms from the first floor, I dont think that there would be, unless you were going to drill thru the roof.

Something else to think about....in the movie, the mall has only two floors (same as in real life). But to leave their hideout, they had to go down a flight of stairs, and they were still on the second floor. Ever think about that?

jim102016
10-Nov-2006, 05:51 AM
I will try to answer this the best way I can. Yes I have been to the Mall, and yes, the boiler room is on the first floor. That is the weird thing about knowing the real locations where things were shot in a movie. You have to dismiss your knowledge about the "real" setting, and only use what the "movie" setting is when discussing the movie. A different good example is this....in the Tom Cruise movie "Days of Thunder", there is a scene where they are at a hotel, and he says to Nicole Kidman, "What are you going to do now, get on a plane, and go back to Daytona?" Well, they filmed that scene at the Hilton right in Daytona, I have been there several times. It seems weird knowing about the "real" location, but in thinking about the movie I have to remind myself that in the movie, they are suppose to be at a hotel in Charlotte, NC, even though they filmed that scene in Daytona.

But back to Dawn and the boiler room.... a few observations about the "real" boiler room location. I dont think that there is more than one way in and out of the boiler room. There is no back entrance, and the room is much smaller than it is made to look in the movie. It is actually located down a service hallway not far from the food court. The employee lounge is located down that hallway (I was tempted to sneak in there and steal one of the "Monroeville Mall" shirts that the food court employees wore, but I didnt!) For those who havent been there and want a location reference to the movie, the food court is located where the skating rink used to be, across from Penny's.

But in the "movie", the boiler room was on the second floor. As for your question as to whether or not there would be access to these rooms from the first floor, I dont think that there would be, unless you were going to drill thru the roof.

Something else to think about....in the movie, the mall has only two floors (same as in real life). But to leave their hideout, they had to go down a flight of stairs, and they were still on the second floor. Ever think about that?

Thanks for the great info, I'll have to visit the mall maybe next time I get home, I grew up maybe eight miles from Philadelphia. Bit of a distance, but would be worth it I think. Good point about about the mall only having two floors dispite Peter and the gang having to go down one more to get to the second floor. I have seen some buildings that were built into hills that throw conventional logic out the window and I have seen a few malls that were two floors, with the bigger 'anchor' stores having third floors.

But, I guess for Dawn, they had to place the utilities and boiler room on the second floor or the movie obviously wouldn't have worked. Thanks again.