Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A very small DOTD goof...

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

A very small DOTD goof...

I've never seen anyone mention this. I just caught it tonight...

Roger is unable to walk so he gets carted around, as everyone very well knows. Well, in the shot in which they're standing out front of Penney's and Peter does the whole "no more room..." thing, take a look at Roger's sock on his injured leg; it's dirty as if he's been walking around on it!

Just a little tiny thing that I'm sure some of you will appreciate. Others may flame.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I noticed this once, as well. I just figured that maybe he limped around while holding onto Peter or Flyboy's shoulders. Specifically, up the stairs to the hideout.

Wait a minute.......was the hallway already closed and were they using the ladder when Roger was still around?

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    I noticed this once, as well. I just figured that maybe he limped around while holding onto Peter or Flyboy's shoulders. Specifically, up the stairs to the hideout.

Wait a minute.......was the hallway already closed and were they using the ladder when Roger was still around?
    Also,

Take a look at the apartment furniture while they are doing the wall. Then later, the furniture has been upgraded. Nice couches and stuff.

If you remember, when Peter shot Roger, the hideaway had boxes and cheap tablks to sit in. This was after the wall was built. Then later whne they are playing cards, the apartment is G'd up!

How did they get all that furniture up through the little hole in the ceiling tile?
    "I Like Your Christ, I Do Not Like Your Christians,
    Your Christians Are So Unlike Your Christ."
    ~Mohandas K. Ghandi

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by dmbfanintn View Post

How did they get all that furniture up through the little hole in the ceiling tile?
    as many times as I've seen this flick (100's) I've never bothered to question that!

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Also,

Take a look at the apartment furniture while they are doing the wall. Then later, the furniture has been upgraded. Nice couches and stuff.

If you remember, when Peter shot Roger, the hideaway had boxes and cheap tablks to sit in. This was after the wall was built. Then later whne they are playing cards, the apartment is G'd up!

I didn't notice that for about the first 8 or 9 years of watching Dawn. Once I did, I got disappointed and decided it would be best to just block that out of my head.

United States
    Also,

I think that we see the furniture in the apartment, then OFFSCREEN they bring new furniture upstairs before they build the wall, then they build the wall, then we see them upstairs with upgraded furniture. Peter states something about "bringing the big stuff" upstairs before making the wall.

Martin, LA (the sticks). I'm writing a zombie script to be filmed in this area with cheap DVs!
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post
    I think that we see the furniture in the apartment, then OFFSCREEN they bring new furniture upstairs before they build the wall, then they build the wall, then we see them upstairs with upgraded furniture. Peter states something about "bringing the big stuff" upstairs before making the wall.
    that's what I thought, too
    I Corinthians 1:18-31 18For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. 19For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. 20Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. 22For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: 23But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; 24But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. 25Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. 26For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: 27But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 28And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: 29That no flesh should glory in his presence. 30But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: 31That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post

Nope, watch again! They are shown building and painting the wall (you don't paint an unfinished wall) before Peter shoots Roger (When Dr Rousch is giving the "down to the line" speach). When he shoots Roger, look at the furniture in the apartment (When Fran says "it's really all over isn't it"), it's the old stuff. Later, when they are playing cards, the stuff is all updated.

It think you are right about Peter's comments. I he only says it in the Cannes Cut, or maybe it is only in the script, I can't remember. In the theatrical, all he says is, "We'll put up a wall here, that way we can still get to the plumbing"

But I KNOW for a fact, cause this has always bugged me about the film, that the newer furniture comes up AFTER the wall is completed!

Watch it again, you will see.
    ~Mohandas K. Ghandi

Martin, LA (the sticks). I'm writing a zombie script to be filmed in this area with cheap DVs!
    United States
    Nope, watch again! They are shown building and painting the wall (you don't paint an unfinished wall) before Peter shoots Roger (When Dr Rousch is giving the "down to the line" speach). When he shoots Roger, look at the furniture in the apartment (When Fran says "it's really all over isn't it"), it's the old stuff. Later, when they are playing cards, the stuff is all updated.

It think you are right about Peter's comments. I he only says it in the Cannes Cut, or maybe it is only in the script, I can't remember. In the theatrical, all he says is, "We'll put up a wall here, that way we can still get to the plumbing"

But I KNOW for a fact, cause this has always bugged me about the film, that the newer furniture comes up AFTER the wall is completed!

Watch it again, you will see.
    I actually don't know what version I have....It's an older VHS. I'll have to check out because I remember the "big stuff" remark
    I Corinthians 1:18-31 18For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. 19For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. 20Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. 22For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: 23But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; 24But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. 25Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. 26For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: 27But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 28And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: 29That no flesh should glory in his presence. 30But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: 31That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    If i'm not mistaken, the wall was built of 2x4's between walls in a concrete hallway. The actual wall that's attached to the 2x4's seems rather flimsy, when Flyboy and the others break through. Perhaps the entire section could have been removable somehow?

It's a stretch, I know.

Undisclosed
    If i'm not mistaken, the wall was built of 2x4's between walls in a concrete hallway. The actual wall that's attached to the 2x4's seems rather flimsy, when Flyboy and the others break through. Perhaps the entire section could have been removable somehow?

It's a stretch, I know.
    On hinges, yeah, that's it, hinges!
    ~Mohandas K. Ghandi

Sunny Gulfland, Within sight of the Beautiful Manatee River
    United States

It's a stretch, I know.
    On hinges, yeah, that's it, hinges!
    Naaa, that wall was too flimsy for hinges. A few times opening and closing and it would crumble. Remember, it was made to look like a wall (All the way to the floor) and was made of 2"x4"s and painted cardboard it looks like.

You'd have to put a space at the bottom and maybe some wheels or ball berings to support it, which would ruin the illusion that it's a wall.

M_

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie View Post
    Naaa, that wall was too flimsy for hinges. A few times opening and closing and it would crumble. Remember, it was made to look like a wall (All the way to the floor) and was made of 2"x4"s and painted cardboard it looks like.

You'd have to put a space at the bottom and maybe some wheels or ball berings to support it, which would ruin the illusion that it's a wall.

M_

I was joking Marie...
    ~Mohandas K. Ghandi

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I wasn't suggesting hinges. Just that maybe they could have pulled the wall out, taken up the furniture, and then just as easily put the wall back into place.

.....Or it could just be a f*ck up.

United States

It's a stretch, I know.
    Actually, I think that is was only 2x2's, not 2x4's, which would obviously be less secure. The wall attached to the 2x2's is in fact very filmsy, looks like just some panleing, not even a sheet of plywood. We never see the hardware store/section where they get the wood from, or if they had to use wood that was in other stores and tear it down there and bring to the hallway. But they had a skill saw, the 2x2's looked new, they appeared to have sawhorses, (unless they just made some), so it seems as if there would have been some plywood, or something stronger than the paneling they use in the mall somewhere, even if had to tear down walls somewhere else in the mall. So it seems that obviously they were building the wall for looks only, not for protecting. They just wanted it to look like there was no door there, so it that was your only goal, it wouldnt matter how "strong" it was or not. But it does seem very weird that they wouldnt want it for protection as well. I mean, since you are building a wall anyway, why not make it as strong as possible, instead of making it for looks only? Its not like they had to be at work soon and had to work fast. Perhaps they did make it flimsy on purpose in order to take it down if needed, and if that is the case, then perhaps they did that in order to bring up more furniture later.

Another though just occured to me as I was typing that. It could be highly possible (I mean, I would do it if I thought of it at the time) that they brought a whole bunch of furniture, and other stuff, thru the door before building the wall. The way it look in the movie, the boiler room was very big, the hallway was very long, there was another room there where the bathrooms were, so there was a lot of space available. They could have put a ton of furniture there, more than would even fit upstairs, just so they would have access to it later, months (or years) after they built the wall. Plus, once the wall was up, they wouldnt need to go down that way anyway, so a bunch of furniture and stuff wouldnt be in the way or anything. I mean, their main purpose in building the wall was to camoflague it so "looters" wouldnt find the hallway/stairway/hideout. So you would want to build the wall as soon as possible, as you would have no way to know when looters would break in. So bringing the new couch and stuff upstairs would not be as important as building the wall, so it would only make sense to bring the couch thru the doorway, set it down, then build the wall, then bring the couch upstairs. This easily and believably explains why we may see new furniture upstairs after they built the wall.