PDA

View Full Version : The Simpsons home-state revealed!

MikePizzoff
12-Jul-2007, 04:06 AM
The Springfield that The Simpsons live in has been revealed to be Vermont. I "can't be arsed" (too lazy) to find a link to a news story about this, so someone should post it here!

darth los
12-Jul-2007, 04:49 AM
Who knew there were so many towns called springfield?

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/simpsons-contest.htm

Danny
12-Jul-2007, 04:54 AM
:bored: , dont take this as sarcasm at you but at groening, im about ten years past caring on this.

darth los
12-Jul-2007, 05:07 AM
:bored: , dont take this as sarcasm at you but at groening, im about ten years past caring on this.

I stpped watching the simpsons years ago myself. I really don't know what keeps it on the air. Family guy is way superior imo. And doesn't anybody else think it's a little late in it's life cycle for a movie? This would have been a good idea in the 90's when we downloaded trailers via dial up for 10 hours.

mista_mo
12-Jul-2007, 05:10 AM
and you know

when it was funny.

MikePizzoff
12-Jul-2007, 05:13 AM
They announced that they signed contracts for THREE Simpsons films way back. It was at least 4 years ago. When they signed the contracts there was no time-constraint's so they could take as long as they wanted to release them. They did this because they have a hard enough time thinking up plots for new episodes... let alone thinking up something that could last an hour and a half.

mista_mo
12-Jul-2007, 05:18 AM
why do it now then?

all the simpsons are known for now is repetitive "humour" that makes 90% of the viewing audience zombies.

meh, whatever though, some people still enjoy it, so why not make the movie. I sure as hell won't be seeing it but that doesn't mean i will try and dissuade others from it.

darth los
12-Jul-2007, 05:22 AM
why do it now then?

For the most obvious of reasons. The apparently believe there's money to be made from it.

MikePizzoff
12-Jul-2007, 05:24 AM
I haven't seen a new Simpsons episode in many years. At least since 2003. But I will definitely go see this movie.

Danny
12-Jul-2007, 05:36 AM
i bloody well wont, i cant stand it, i saw four episodes on sunday in the tv book on four channels, and ALL of them were different episodes but ALL of them were about bart doing something bad at school and it being the "last" straw and he gets sent to a camp.

groening is a bigger media whore than george lucas, uwe boll and the entire fox network combined!

MinionZombie
12-Jul-2007, 10:57 AM
Woah, lotta hostility to Groening go-an-on here...

When the seasons got into double figures they started getting worse and worse (prior to double figured seasons it was 95% all gold, heck, even 100%). However, I've continued viewing it to see if it's going to get better, and after a piss poor season 16 and 17, season 18 finally brought some fresh pie to the party, they returned to their roots a bit more, rather than repeat-stories about Bart being bad and Homer being a bad husband (they even did two of those stories in one season - episode 1 and then the third episode, season 17 or 18 I think).

Anyway, season 18, after about 10 episodes broke free and got a lot better, by the end of the season there was a fair bit of fun to be had, and I certainly loved "24 Minutes", the 24 spoofing episode.

I remember near the end of season 17 there was one about Creationism - that was classic Simpson's, they need a bit more bite to their bark, and that's what they found again in the second half of season 18...not as sharp as it was pre-double-figured-seasons, but a marked improvement on the woefully bad seasons 16 and 17.

bassman
12-Jul-2007, 12:26 PM
I think you may be mistaken. I don't believe it was announced as "The Simpsons" home state but rather the place where the film would premier. There were about 10 Springfield's in the states wanting to premiere the film.

At least, I never heard it being announces as the character's home state. Just where the film would play first....

EvilNed
12-Jul-2007, 12:47 PM
They poke fun at the fact that nobody knows were Springfield is in the film. At least in the trailer. Ned says "and from here you can see the four states bordering ours! Nevada, Vermont, etc. etc."

darth los
12-Jul-2007, 07:03 PM
They poke fun at the fact that nobody knows were Springfield is in the film. At least in the trailer. Ned says "and from here you can see the four states bordering ours! Nevada, Vermont, etc. etc."

1 springfield is just as good as another i guess.

acealive1
12-Jul-2007, 08:09 PM
MAKES NO FACKING SENSE!!! they said themselves "the simpsons live in the midwest" if vermont is in the midwest,then i must be on the west coast

darth los
13-Jul-2007, 07:44 PM
MAKES NO FACKING SENSE!!! they said themselves "the simpsons live in the midwest" if vermont is in the midwest,then i must be on the west coast

You didn't think that they'd let a little thing like tha stop them did you? They're trying to create a nationwide buzz for a movie that not many people have interest in. I mean who the hell was clamoring for this to be made anyway?

MinionZombie
13-Jul-2007, 09:50 PM
The previews look funny - "spider pig" - I mean come on.

I can dig it thus far, hopefully the movie will rock...I suspect it will.

As for this Vermont thing, that's just the movie's premiere, not where the fictional cartoon family in the show live. At least that appears to be the confusion that occurred in this thread.

acealive1
13-Jul-2007, 11:00 PM
You didn't think that they'd let a little thing like tha stop them did you? They're trying to create a nationwide buzz for a movie that not many people have interest in. I mean who the hell was clamoring for this to be made anyway?

vermont is trying to break away from the union though......... so why do they get to join in on US festivities??

darth los
14-Jul-2007, 12:50 AM
vermont is trying to break away from the union though......... so why do they get to join in on US festivities??

There are alot of strange things from VT, like Howard dean !! :eek:

Maitreya
14-Jul-2007, 06:58 AM
It still confounds me to this day why The Simpsons is still being made, but Futurama was cancelled...

MissJacksonCA
14-Jul-2007, 01:03 PM
That man should not be allowed to reproduce! I kinda always thought Springfield was in Illonois but either way i'm uber excited about the movie coming out!

PJoseph
14-Jul-2007, 01:21 PM
as it's always not really been anywhere. The contest to find a "Springfield" for the film's premeir was just a promotion - not to be confused with the mythical Springfield in the show.

And regarding the film's success, if anyone has stopped by one of the converted 7-11 to Kwiki Marts, you will see that The Simpsons still have a giant fanbase that is dying to see the film.

And I highly recommend one of Homer's donuts.

pJ