PDA

View Full Version : Dawn of the Dead (1978) coming to Blu-ray Disc

DjfunkmasterG
21-Jul-2007, 04:14 AM
http://www.highdefdiscnews.com/?p=139

According to this article and a few others I have read, George A. Romero's Dawn of the Dead will be released exclusively to Blu-Ray Disc only. Anchor Bay, now Stars Home Entertainment is in the B-R camp and is rolling out the film on October 2nd 2007, this is a tad awkward especially for zombie completest fans... The remake of Dawn and Romero's Land of the Dead are HD-DVD exclusive because of ownership by universal pictures.

Night of the Living Dead is in the 20th Century Fox Library and they are a Blu-ray company but no word on an HD release of Night. Day of the Dead will most likely be in the Blu-ray camp as well being it is at the home of Anchor Bay. Kind of sucks for HD-DVD only owners because in order to own the saga in HD you will need both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.

darth los
21-Jul-2007, 04:23 AM
http://www.highdefdiscnews.com/?p=139

According to this article and a few others I have read, George A. Romero's Dawn of the Dead will be released exclusively to Blu-Ray Disc only. Anchor Bay, now Stars Home Entertainment is in the B-R camp and is rolling out the film on October 2nd 2007, this is a tad awkward especially for zombie completest fans... The remake of Dawn and Romero's Land of the Dead are HD-DVD exclusive because of ownership by universal pictures.

Night of the Living Dead is in the 20th Century Fox Library and they are a Blu-ray company but no word on an HD release of Night. Day of the Dead will most likely be in the Blu-ray camp as well being it is at the home of Anchor Bay. Kind of sucks for HD-DVD only owners because in order to own the saga in HD you will need both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.

But aren't there new players that play both hd dvd and blu ray? I think especially until the format war is resolved that's definitely the way to go.

DeadJonas190
21-Jul-2007, 04:29 AM
But aren't there new players that play both hd dvd and blu ray? I think especially until the format war is resolved that's definitely the way to go.

Yep, they exist, but cost around $800. To me it's not worth it, I love the way HD looks, but I'm not going to spend that kind of money on something that will have major price drops in the next couple years.

darth los
21-Jul-2007, 04:35 AM
Yep, they exist, but cost around $800. To me it's not worth it, I love the way HD looks, but I'm not going to spend that kind of money on something that will have major price drops in the next couple years.

There's no doubt that there will be a price drop but i was just saying that if you are intent on upgrading to hd that for the price of buying a blu ray and hd dvd player separately you could get a machine that plays both.

capncnut
21-Jul-2007, 07:26 AM
Dawn on Blu-Ray? I'm having some of that mate! :cool:

Kaos
21-Jul-2007, 07:46 AM
Kind of sucks for HD-DVD only owners because in order to own the saga in HD you will need both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.

Not if you planned on being dual format eventually anyway...:D

Danny
21-Jul-2007, 08:27 AM
im happy with the dvd version thanks;)

EvilNed
21-Jul-2007, 12:04 PM
I'm waiting a few years until I buy any Blu-Ray or HD-DVD whatsoever. The prices will have to drop and one of the formats will have to phase out before I make a move.

axlish
21-Jul-2007, 01:57 PM
I'll pick it up because I am a completionist whore. I don't have HD/BR capability yet, but I do plan to hold out for a dual format player. I am also holding out on a upconverting player, whatever BR/HD player I get will have this capability. Until then, progressive scan will more than suffice.

darth los
21-Jul-2007, 06:26 PM
im happy with the dvd version thanks;)

Until you get an hd tv it's a moot point anyway.

RustyHicks
21-Jul-2007, 11:21 PM
I'll stick with what I got, a DVD player and
a 27 inch tv, once they go I'll pick up a Blue Ray
player, or whatever it will be called by then, things
will change. It will get cheaper and one of them will
get eaten up by the competition.
Just like VHS ate up Beta when it came out.

acealive1
22-Jul-2007, 01:12 AM
so ONE disc is gonna cost more than the whole ultimate edition? I'll pass:lol:

and its a shame,its as bad as when super nintendo and sega were out. u had to buy both systems and both versions of one game to see all the teams or players cuz they had different peeps on both games. i told everyone blu ray and HD arent gonna make it unless the price is cut by 75% on everything and they can play in ALL players.

darth los
22-Jul-2007, 02:55 AM
so ONE disc is gonna cost more than the whole ultimate edition? I'll pass:lol:

and its a shame,its as bad as when super nintendo and sega were out. u had to buy both systems and both versions of one game to see all the teams or players cuz they had different peeps on both games. i told everyone blu ray and HD arent gonna make it unless the price is cut by 75% on everything and they can play in ALL players.

Price is definitely a factor for most consumers. It's probably the biggest reason why the ps3 isn't selling. Consumers are more savvy than these companies give them credit for.

acealive1
22-Jul-2007, 04:58 AM
Price is definitely a factor for most consumers. It's probably the biggest reason why the ps3 isn't selling. Consumers are more savvy than these companies give them credit for.

you my friend couldnt have said it better. its perfect. i'd be happier getting a 1080P dvd player that makes ur current dvds hi def. its only like $250 which kills HD and blu rays chances. didnt they try this "super dvd" thing a few years back with the superbit dvds? they were only SLIGHTLY higher than normal dvds and most had no extras,so what the sam hell makes sony and the other idiots think people are gonna pay that much more for a dvd if super bit died?

darth los
22-Jul-2007, 04:18 PM
I think that they're bankng on people's need to have the latest tech as status symbols. Only a few companies can pull that off. Apple is a good example. They can come out with a next gen i phone or i pod every year and they would still seel like hotcakes. That seems to be the only can't miss product i can think of right now. I think the failures of laser disc, beta max, etc. are still in people's mind's and they are hesitant to switch to a format that might be extinct in a couple of years. But like we said the main issue is price. If plasmas screen tv's were $1,000 and under everybody would have one. I don't know anyone who doesn't want one. But one thing is stoping them. PRICE!!

acealive1
22-Jul-2007, 06:36 PM
well yea,price and u have to buy like 5 other things to make it all play. plasma tv,adapter,new dvd player,the dvds themselves. when all is said and done, u gonna be out at least $7,000 and then you can watch your ONE HD movie :lol:

capncnut
22-Jul-2007, 07:06 PM
u gonna be out at least $7,000 and then you can watch your ONE HD movie :lol:
Not really, I won my PS3 in a comp and my mate will bring round his HD-TV when the Dawn disc comes out. Cool beans. :)

darth los
22-Jul-2007, 07:17 PM
Not really, I won my PS3 in a comp and my mate will bring round his HD-TV when the Dawn disc comes out. Cool beans. :)

That's about the 5th time i heard you mention the free ps3. How did you win it by the way?

capncnut
22-Jul-2007, 07:29 PM
Well, I actually entered a phone text competition and forgot all about it for months, then one day I get a letter through the door, "Congratulations", etc.

acealive1
22-Jul-2007, 09:16 PM

you do know playing a movie in a game system only wears the motor down faster...................right?

darth los
22-Jul-2007, 10:12 PM
Well, I actually entered a phone text competition and forgot all about it for months, then one day I get a letter through the door, "Congratulations", etc.

Lucky bastard. :p

you do know playing a movie in a game system only wears the motor down faster...................right?

It's funny how they neglect to mention that when touting their systems capability to play movies as well. Alot of people end up finding out the hard way and that's wrong.

capncnut
22-Jul-2007, 10:31 PM
I think Dawn in Hi-Def is worth the risk. :sneaky:

darth los
22-Jul-2007, 10:46 PM

A movie viewed through your game console once and a while isn't going to hurt anything. It should never be your main dvd player though. That's just not smart.

acealive1
22-Jul-2007, 11:13 PM
Lucky bastard. :p

It's funny how they neglect to mention that when touting their systems capability to play movies as well. Alot of people end up finding out the hard way and that's wrong.

they're made to play the movies of course,but not to withstand both gameplay and movies.

lol yea ya knw:lol:

A movie viewed through your game console once and a while isn't going to hurt anything. It should never be your main dvd player though. That's just not smart.

especially when dvd players go for like $29

darth los
23-Jul-2007, 12:32 AM
especially when dvd players go for like $29

Yeah i know !! :lol:

Suprisingly i still hear of people who for some reason or another still don't own a dvd player. :stunned: Some even on these boards. Probably the same type of people who refused to upgrade to color tv when that came out. Some are just resistant to change i guess. IT'S OK GUYS, THE FORMAT IS SOLID !!:thumbsup:

acealive1
23-Jul-2007, 06:20 AM
Yeah i know !! :lol:

Suprisingly i still hear of people who for some reason or another still don't own a dvd player. :stunned: Some even on these boards. Probably the same type of people who refused to upgrade to color tv when that came out. Some are just resistant to change i guess. IT'S OK GUYS, THE FORMAT IS SOLID !!:thumbsup:

i basically had to make my mom switch to dvd at gun point. she went into best buy as recently as a year ago and ask where the vhs section was.

best buy is no help,they probably told her they got more in another section. these were the same people that told me there was no more fullscreen dvds

black and white tvs SUCK. it was a billion dollar half assed idea someone thought of instead of just making it color. so they had to cash in,its like they wanted to milk it forever.

darth los
23-Jul-2007, 06:29 AM
Is that before or after she asked where the tape player walkmans were? :lol::shifty:

acealive1
23-Jul-2007, 07:16 AM
Is that before or after she asked where the tape player walkmans were? :lol::shifty:

just got her an MP3 player like 6 months ago. shes slowly catching up though.

cmon u know ur moms the same way

jdog
23-Jul-2007, 07:22 AM
i'll buy this and hold onto it untill i get my blu-ray just cause i have to have it

acealive1
23-Jul-2007, 08:08 AM
hey bro,ur supposed to be saving for the lil one. not buying $39 coasters :lol:
thats a hell of a lot of loonies

darth los
23-Jul-2007, 04:54 PM
cmon u know ur moms the same way

I'm trying to slowly ween her off of the bulky cd player she carries around now. :lol: I'm like mom that's not cool. An mp3 player sounds like a perfect x-mas gift for her. But you just know that i'm going to have to put on/ take off all the music for her. She's not tech savvy at all.

acealive1
24-Jul-2007, 01:19 AM
I'm trying to slowly ween her off of the bulky cd player she carries around now. :lol: I'm like mom that's not cool. An mp3 player sounds like a perfect x-mas gift for her. But you just know that i'm going to have to put on/ take off all the music for her. She's not tech savvy at all.

LOL my moms not too smart either. old people have issues

darth los
24-Jul-2007, 01:41 AM
LOL my moms not too smart either. old people have issues

Aw, c'mon man that's not nice. :( They're just not as in the know as we are. Don't talk too much junk because our kids will be saying the same thing about us someday.:eek:

acealive1
24-Jul-2007, 04:58 AM
Aw, c'mon man that's not nice. :( They're just not as in the know as we are. Don't talk too much junk because our kids will be saying the same thing about us someday.:eek:

i say horse puckey. we're the generation that "doesnt know anything" yet we're teaching our parents. we're gonna be the first in the know old generation