Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dawn of the Dead (1978) coming to Blu-ray Disc

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Dawn of the Dead (1978) coming to Blu-ray Disc

http://www.highdefdiscnews.com/?p=139

According to this article and a few others I have read, George A. Romero's Dawn of the Dead will be released exclusively to Blu-Ray Disc only. Anchor Bay, now Stars Home Entertainment is in the B-R camp and is rolling out the film on October 2nd 2007, this is a tad awkward especially for zombie completest fans... The remake of Dawn and Romero's Land of the Dead are HD-DVD exclusive because of ownership by universal pictures.

Night of the Living Dead is in the 20th Century Fox Library and they are a Blu-ray company but no word on an HD release of Night. Day of the Dead will most likely be in the Blu-ray camp as well being it is at the home of Anchor Bay. Kind of sucks for HD-DVD only owners because in order to own the saga in HD you will need both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    http://www.highdefdiscnews.com/?p=139

According to this article and a few others I have read, George A. Romero's Dawn of the Dead will be released exclusively to Blu-Ray Disc only. Anchor Bay, now Stars Home Entertainment is in the B-R camp and is rolling out the film on October 2nd 2007, this is a tad awkward especially for zombie completest fans... The remake of Dawn and Romero's Land of the Dead are HD-DVD exclusive because of ownership by universal pictures.

Night of the Living Dead is in the 20th Century Fox Library and they are a Blu-ray company but no word on an HD release of Night. Day of the Dead will most likely be in the Blu-ray camp as well being it is at the home of Anchor Bay. Kind of sucks for HD-DVD only owners because in order to own the saga in HD you will need both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.
    But aren't there new players that play both hd dvd and blu ray? I think especially until the format war is resolved that's definitely the way to go.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    But aren't there new players that play both hd dvd and blu ray? I think especially until the format war is resolved that's definitely the way to go.
    Yep, they exist, but cost around $800. To me it's not worth it, I love the way HD looks, but I'm not going to spend that kind of money on something that will have major price drops in the next couple years.
    Check out my dvd collection @ http://jonas190.dvdaf.com/owned

My Gamertag is reculse189

Join me on Kongregate, its a cool game site
    http://www.kongregate.com?referrer=Jonas190

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadJonas190 View Post
    Yep, they exist, but cost around $800. To me it's not worth it, I love the way HD looks, but I'm not going to spend that kind of money on something that will have major price drops in the next couple years.
    There's no doubt that there will be a price drop but i was just saying that if you are intent on upgrading to hd that for the price of buying a blu ray and hd dvd player separately you could get a machine that plays both.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

capncnut
    Dawn on Blu-Ray? I'm having some of that mate!

Super Moderator

Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Kind of sucks for HD-DVD only owners because in order to own the saga in HD you will need both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.
    Not if you planned on being dual format eventually anyway...

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    im happy with the dvd version thanks

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I'm waiting a few years until I buy any Blu-Ray or HD-DVD whatsoever. The prices will have to drop and one of the formats will have to phase out before I make a move.

ViP

United States
    I'll pick it up because I am a completionist whore. I don't have HD/BR capability yet, but I do plan to hold out for a dual format player. I am also holding out on a upconverting player, whatever BR/HD player I get will have this capability. Until then, progressive scan will more than suffice.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    im happy with the dvd version thanks
    Until you get an hd tv it's a moot point anyway.

Canada
    I'll stick with what I got, a DVD player and
    a 27 inch tv, once they go I'll pick up a Blue Ray
    player, or whatever it will be called by then, things
    will change. It will get cheaper and one of them will
    get eaten up by the competition.
    Just like VHS ate up Beta when it came out.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    so ONE disc is gonna cost more than the whole ultimate edition? I'll pass

and its a shame,its as bad as when super nintendo and sega were out. u had to buy both systems and both versions of one game to see all the teams or players cuz they had different peeps on both games. i told everyone blu ray and HD arent gonna make it unless the price is cut by 75% on everything and they can play in ALL players.
    Last edited by acealive1; 22-Jul-2007 at 01:16 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    so ONE disc is gonna cost more than the whole ultimate edition? I'll pass

and its a shame,its as bad as when super nintendo and sega were out. u had to buy both systems and both versions of one game to see all the teams or players cuz they had different peeps on both games. i told everyone blu ray and HD arent gonna make it unless the price is cut by 75% on everything and they can play in ALL players.
    Price is definitely a factor for most consumers. It's probably the biggest reason why the ps3 isn't selling. Consumers are more savvy than these companies give them credit for.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Price is definitely a factor for most consumers. It's probably the biggest reason why the ps3 isn't selling. Consumers are more savvy than these companies give them credit for.

you my friend couldnt have said it better. its perfect. i'd be happier getting a 1080P dvd player that makes ur current dvds hi def. its only like $250 which kills HD and blu rays chances. didnt they try this "super dvd" thing a few years back with the superbit dvds? they were only SLIGHTLY higher than normal dvds and most had no extras,so what the sam hell makes sony and the other idiots think people are gonna pay that much more for a dvd if super bit died?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I think that they're bankng on people's need to have the latest tech as status symbols. Only a few companies can pull that off. Apple is a good example. They can come out with a next gen i phone or i pod every year and they would still seel like hotcakes. That seems to be the only can't miss product i can think of right now. I think the failures of laser disc, beta max, etc. are still in people's mind's and they are hesitant to switch to a format that might be extinct in a couple of years. But like we said the main issue is price. If plasmas screen tv's were $1,000 and under everybody would have one. I don't know anyone who doesn't want one. But one thing is stoping them. PRICE!!