PDA

View Full Version : Ah man ...can kids be kids these days?

MissJacksonCA
01-Oct-2007, 10:26 PM
As I'm busy snarfing down some cheesecake I read that schools are banning cupcakes from being allowed into the schools for whatever reason. At first I thought maybe its because not every kid gets a cupcake and maybe they dont want to single out losers by allowing children to bring in cupcakes and not give everyone one... but alas... they're bad for you and with our American waists getting larger they're concerned about obese and overweight kids so no effing cupcakes... wtf?

Will kids get to be kids anymore? What next? No Halloween candy? No Valentines candy? No more making gingerbread houses? Why not lengthen the school day to force kids to exercise? Am I being silly here?

If I had my own children granted they'd never see a McDonalds but i'd be baking them cupcakes and i'd find a school that would permit them. Children should be spoiled... they dont need a soda during school but comeon... give a kid a cupcake...

Marie
02-Oct-2007, 01:35 AM
Haven't you heard? We can't decide such things for ourselves, Government knows best! Pretty soon we'll get a tax increase to pay for our medical insurance and then you'll REALLY see something.

M_

Danny
02-Oct-2007, 01:57 AM
thats easily one of the biggets problems in the u.s today, rather than let people have the freedom of choice and be responsible for there own actions, the people in power would rather have you not have the choice just to play it safe.
The American people should be free to say "look billy, daddy's noticed that you need to stop for a breath halfway to the counter at macdonalds, i think its time you laid off the pop tarts" or the opposite a healthy american saying "ya know what, i think ill have that slice of pizza today". yknow, make you own choices, peoples mistakes are there own and just taking away the possibilitie of mistakes only means that people will no longer have the opportunity to learn from them.

MissJacksonCA
02-Oct-2007, 02:38 PM
It would have made sense for such a thing if perhaps a couple sued their kids school because while they're not overweight and dont overeat bad things their child is and they blamed the schools menu and the kids who kept bringing sweets to school and the soda machines in the hallway. I can see someone from my elementary school doing that because if everyone had good grades and attendance you got to eat a sundae in the principals office with him and he had a huge ice cream bar setup... so if you were good you could stuff yourself numb with icecream every month!

I do think its riddick that schools are permitted to have vending machines that sell anything beyond fruit and veggies and soda machines that sell anything but milk. And that cafeteria menus across the country offer more unhealthy food than healthy food. All because school is where we're taught the food pyramid and told about exercising and being healthy and how its essential. So for them to literally provide gym classes where you do virtually nothing and to supply unhealthy options its a bit hypocritical.

But this whole cupcake thing? When will it end? Will kids be prohibited from bringing soda into school? No more peanut butter and jelly sandwiches? No white bread? Is it just cupcakes? What happens when kids start bringing in brownies or sheet cake or something?

Yojimbo
02-Oct-2007, 08:07 PM
What about the kid that got kicked out of school because the school had a zero tolerance policy about having weapons or toys that resembled weapons at school. The kid had a gun from a GI JOE toy, a pistol that was 1/2 inch long. Or the other kid who's mother packed a steak knife in her daughters lunch so that she could cut her steak?

And heard now that some school has now banned hugging on campus. Kids can be disciplined for hugging each other?

ProfessorChaos
02-Oct-2007, 08:28 PM
And heard now that some school has now banned hugging on campus. Kids can be disciplined for hugging each other?

too many hugs can make kids grow up to be hippies.

and too many cupcakes will make them fat hippies.;)

Yojimbo
02-Oct-2007, 08:45 PM
too many hugs can make kids grow up to be hippies.

and too many cupcakes will make them fat hippies.;)

True that!

rightwing401
03-Oct-2007, 12:42 AM
It's like George Carlin once said, "Pretty soon, the poor little s**** are going to need a helmet just to wack off."

Danny
03-Oct-2007, 04:42 AM
nah, theyll probably make all teenagers have to mandatorily wear gloves of the scratchy half of velcro.

-then when they relaised that didnt stop em and just raised the price of detergent to wash blood out the crotches of pants theyd, well theyd carry on under pressure of the detergent selling industry:lol:

MissJacksonCA
03-Oct-2007, 02:58 PM
I never heard of the ban on hugging but I can get why a school might ban it. I personally hate hugging i'm just not a touchy feely hug me person. And of course it didn't help that a few guys I know and/or work with tell me they like hugging because they personally love the whole when a girl hugs 'em she's basically rubbing her goodies against them. But in general I think schools especially high school and junior high should ban hugging, and other forms of affection between couples etc. In high school I remember seeing girls making out, couples making out, and beyond that even... it was offensive and riddick. School isn't the place for some things.

I can remember the GI Joe or a similar incident like that. For me that touches home because when I was a kid in elementary school a school mate brought a knife to school and got booted from school. Unfortunately as it turned out the knife wasn't to hurt a student or anyone at the school he carried it as a means of protection from his own father and was later taken out of his home and put into the foster system.

And I remember the knife thing too. I love the KFC commercial where the office staff freaks out because one of their pals has a knife and they all run screaming for the hills and then she's like 'hey i'm eating a real lunch which requires a fork and a knife' ... I get that the school enforced the zero tolerance policy because hey... if they said whoops you need that for your steak then a kid who wants to do harm might wind up bringing something he actually needs to cut in case he gets caught with the knife. Its not like her parental unit couldnt cut up the steak for her before she went to school. I do love that someone sends their child to school with steak though lol...

Yojimbo
05-Oct-2007, 01:44 AM
I never heard of the ban on hugging but I can get why a school might ban it

Here you go!
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,156620,00.html

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/583166,100107hugs.article

yeah, I can see how hugging can get out of hand, but banning it seems a little bit overboard. Where will it end, a ban on shaking hands, smiling, speaking with the opposite sex, no dancing, mandatory veils for all females?

MissJacksonCA
05-Oct-2007, 01:30 PM
I think you're going a bit overboard to say that this could escalate into a no smiling policy. This kind of reminds me of a civil rights case that created the standard that children should be free from sexual advances at school. And I dont think of hugging as a right in school but as more of a privilege because in private schools that simply does not fly. Is it so hard for couples and friends to withold such displays of affection?

At the one school I went to the school hallway (of which there was only one) was 6 feet wide. It was a pain to navigate from one end of the building to the polar opposite end between all the couples just standing around holding hands, holding each other, sucking face, selling sex... it was riddick. And I dont even think middle school is the time to start having relationships. I remember thats when school dances start but I think at that age kids are still too young for relationships. Parents today dont spend enough time parenting their children or being a parent to their children. Thats part of why children are becoming overweight, having sex at 11, drinking, smoking, and generally behaving poorly. The schools are taking steps to behave like parents because its obvious some parents dont care or dont have the time.

I'm not a conservative I swear I just think children grow up with no morals and less values and that their behavior will deteriorate over time with little structure in their lives. I'm an advocate for public schools more strictly governing how children behave while in school and an even stronger supporter of segregated schools where its all male or all female and with strict uniform codes. School is an institution for learning first and foremost... why do people try to turn it into the Buena Vista Social Club?

Publius
05-Oct-2007, 02:01 PM
Haven't you heard? We can't decide such things for ourselves, Government knows best! Pretty soon we'll get a tax increase to pay for our medical insurance and then you'll REALLY see something.

M_

Exactly. There are a couple of cities in California that are currently considering banning smoking in apartments. In other words, you won't even be able to smoke where you live, unless you can afford to live in a single family home. That's only a couple of steps away from banning smoking outright. I don't personally like smoking, but I do happen to like living in a free country.

Marie
05-Oct-2007, 10:28 PM
I don't personally like smoking, but I do happen to like living in a free country.

Where is that now exactly?

M_

Tricky
05-Oct-2007, 11:11 PM
Where is that now exactly?

M_

Your country is a hell of a lot more free than others,be thankful of that!russia doesnt allow as much freedom to its people as the US,neither do any of the middle eastern countries,china,korea,south east asia etc,when you look at it that way its not so bad.

On the subject of smoking though,it becomes illegal to smoke while driving in the UK on monday,they also have spoken of banning radio/cd players in cars & talking to your passengers as its "distracting",try those on for size!

MissJacksonCA
06-Oct-2007, 12:58 AM
I think it should be illegal to smoke while driving AND should be illegal to smoke in any apartment. Its unsafe to smoke while driving and its a fire hazard when people smoke in their apartment IMHO.

Yojimbo
08-Oct-2007, 05:08 PM
I think it should be illegal to smoke while driving AND should be illegal to smoke in any apartment. Its unsafe to smoke while driving and its a fire hazard when people smoke in their apartment IMHO.

MissJackson, cigarettes are only unsafe when the people who use them are unsafe (apart from the carcinogens and other bad stuff that comes with smoking)

I have seen women applying makeup while driving, dudes shaving, people eating breakfast, even one lame-nut reading a newspaper while on the freeway. And I have seen people in apartments plugging way too many things into a single wall socket fed power strip.

What should be outlawed is stupidity, not cigarettes, shaving, makeup, breakfast, the morning paper, or power strips.

On a different note, I heard about La Jolla and the sinkage problem. Is that your old haunt? Are your folk's and their house OK?

AcesandEights
08-Oct-2007, 05:26 PM
Let's sack personal responsibility and dealing with the actual problem and just outlaw everything!

Yeah. That'll work :confused:

Yojimbo
08-Oct-2007, 07:33 PM
Let's sack personal responsibility and dealing with the actual problem and just outlaw everything!

Yeah. That'll work :confused:

Right on!

I forgot about cholesterol which can cause strokes, which can cause death. Lets outlaw eggs and whole milk and cheese. They are the work of Satan!

And what about Children? They can cause high blood pressure in parents (evil little things that they are) which could be fatal. My solution: Outlaw all children.

And any soap not on a rope or dispensed from a squirt bottle should be against the law too. If it falls down during a shower you could slip and fall, or be sodomized if you are in jail. Ban it!

Marie
08-Oct-2007, 07:34 PM

If you outlaw smoking they'll just dip snuff.:dead:

Then no windshield or apartment walkway will be safe. I'd watch the upstairs windows too just in case.

M_

MissJacksonCA
08-Oct-2007, 08:39 PM
LOL my ex llives in La Jolla near the sinkhole but my father and his new trophy live on the coast in Laguna in the lap of luxury they deserve until they get their just desserts and fall into the ocean! One can hope...

I agree people do dumb things while driving. In Kenora, Ontario they outlawed doing stuff while driving after a cop saw a woman eating and smoking while driving her hands full at the wheel. After that they pulled over anyone doing anything in the car beyond driving. How effective that was is out of my range as this was about 4 to 5 years ago.

I just dont trust smokers. To my way of thinking they could care less about their health and thus their personal safety and can't be trusted. Not to mention after working with them for 3 years I find them to be lazier than non smokers because they have to have a smoke every ten to fifteen bloody minutes. They're a slave to their habit and it will kill them and those around them. Its riddick. But Marie is right, as usual... take away one vice and they will find another. Its lose lose.

Yojimbo
08-Oct-2007, 09:39 PM
LOL my ex llives in La Jolla near the sinkhole but my father and his new trophy live on the coast in Laguna in the lap of luxury they deserve until they get their just desserts and fall into the ocean! One can hope...

I agree people do dumb things while driving. In Kenora, Ontario they outlawed doing stuff while driving after a cop saw a woman eating and smoking while driving her hands full at the wheel. After that they pulled over anyone doing anything in the car beyond driving. How effective that was is out of my range as this was about 4 to 5 years ago.

I just dont trust smokers. To my way of thinking they could care less about their health and thus their personal safety and can't be trusted. Not to mention after working with them for 3 years I find them to be lazier than non smokers because they have to have a smoke every ten to fifteen bloody minutes. They're a slave to their habit and it will kill them and those around them. Its riddick. But Marie is right, as usual... take away one vice and they will find another. Its lose lose.

On behalf of smokers everywhere, I would like to say that I work 12 hour shifts 5 days a week, and sometimes weekends as well. I live by a code of honor (protect the weak, the elderly, women and children, fight against tyranny and injustice, bring happiness to all, never lie, cheat or steal, or cheat on my taxes, or my wife, acknowledge good deeds where applicable, respect others, don't kick small animals, etc.)

As a smoker, I may be killing myself with my vice, but I make it a point not to expose everyone to my secondhand smoke. (If I hated smoking, I would quit. But I enjoy smoking!)

Just as not all SUV drivers are trying to augment the size of their penis by way of their vehicle, not all smokers are losers. Unless you think I am a loser, in which case I don't really know how to defend myself against your perception of my character based on my singular vice.

MissJacksonCA
09-Oct-2007, 02:49 PM
I would never call smokers losers I was generalizing about the majority of smokers I've known. I knew one smoker who worked about as much as I did. I realize occasionally there's a one in a million oddly even last night I did as I wrote my restaurant review but I digress...

I just have a low opinion for smokers not for what they do to themselves but for what they do to the ones they love. You may not smoke around the wife and child but if/when you get lung cancer or whatever you will be and its deeply unfair because its preventbale by not smoking.

I like ya man if we were actual friends i'd be buying you Nicorette ... I preach about quitting smoking literally because I care.

Yojimbo
09-Oct-2007, 03:38 PM
I would never call smokers losers I was generalizing about the majority of smokers I've known. I knew one smoker who worked about as much as I did. I realize occasionally there's a one in a million oddly even last night I did as I wrote my restaurant review but I digress...

I just have a low opinion for smokers not for what they do to themselves but for what they do to the ones they love. You may not smoke around the wife and child but if/when you get lung cancer or whatever you will be and its deeply unfair because its preventbale by not smoking.

I like ya man if we were actual friends i'd be buying you Nicorette ... I preach about quitting smoking literally because I care.

MissJackson you still rule! You make a very good point.

Yeah, smoking certainly isn't good for you -- even as a happy smoker I can admit that I should probably quit for the sake of my health.