Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ah man ...can kids be kids these days?

United States

Ah man ...can kids be kids these days?

As I'm busy snarfing down some cheesecake I read that schools are banning cupcakes from being allowed into the schools for whatever reason. At first I thought maybe its because not every kid gets a cupcake and maybe they dont want to single out losers by allowing children to bring in cupcakes and not give everyone one... but alas... they're bad for you and with our American waists getting larger they're concerned about obese and overweight kids so no effing cupcakes... wtf?

Will kids get to be kids anymore? What next? No Halloween candy? No Valentines candy? No more making gingerbread houses? Why not lengthen the school day to force kids to exercise? Am I being silly here?

If I had my own children granted they'd never see a McDonalds but i'd be baking them cupcakes and i'd find a school that would permit them. Children should be spoiled... they dont need a soda during school but comeon... give a kid a cupcake...
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

Sunny Gulfland, Within sight of the Beautiful Manatee River
    United States
    Haven't you heard? We can't decide such things for ourselves, Government knows best! Pretty soon we'll get a tax increase to pay for our medical insurance and then you'll REALLY see something.

M_
    "I would like to take you seriously, but to do so would affront your intelligence." William F. Buckley, Jr.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    thats easily one of the biggets problems in the u.s today, rather than let people have the freedom of choice and be responsible for there own actions, the people in power would rather have you not have the choice just to play it safe.
    The American people should be free to say "look billy, daddy's noticed that you need to stop for a breath halfway to the counter at macdonalds, i think its time you laid off the pop tarts" or the opposite a healthy american saying "ya know what, i think ill have that slice of pizza today". yknow, make you own choices, peoples mistakes are there own and just taking away the possibilitie of mistakes only means that people will no longer have the opportunity to learn from them.

United States
    It would have made sense for such a thing if perhaps a couple sued their kids school because while they're not overweight and dont overeat bad things their child is and they blamed the schools menu and the kids who kept bringing sweets to school and the soda machines in the hallway. I can see someone from my elementary school doing that because if everyone had good grades and attendance you got to eat a sundae in the principals office with him and he had a huge ice cream bar setup... so if you were good you could stuff yourself numb with icecream every month!

I do think its riddick that schools are permitted to have vending machines that sell anything beyond fruit and veggies and soda machines that sell anything but milk. And that cafeteria menus across the country offer more unhealthy food than healthy food. All because school is where we're taught the food pyramid and told about exercising and being healthy and how its essential. So for them to literally provide gym classes where you do virtually nothing and to supply unhealthy options its a bit hypocritical.

But this whole cupcake thing? When will it end? Will kids be prohibited from bringing soda into school? No more peanut butter and jelly sandwiches? No white bread? Is it just cupcakes? What happens when kids start bringing in brownies or sheet cake or something?
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

United States
    What about the kid that got kicked out of school because the school had a zero tolerance policy about having weapons or toys that resembled weapons at school. The kid had a gun from a GI JOE toy, a pistol that was 1/2 inch long. Or the other kid who's mother packed a steak knife in her daughters lunch so that she could cut her steak?

And heard now that some school has now banned hugging on campus. Kids can be disciplined for hugging each other?
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    And heard now that some school has now banned hugging on campus. Kids can be disciplined for hugging each other?
    too many hugs can make kids grow up to be hippies.

and too many cupcakes will make them fat hippies.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    too many hugs can make kids grow up to be hippies.

and too many cupcakes will make them fat hippies.
    True that!
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Undisclosed
    It's like George Carlin once said, "Pretty soon, the poor little s**** are going to need a helmet just to wack off."

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    nah, theyll probably make all teenagers have to mandatorily wear gloves of the scratchy half of velcro.

-then when they relaised that didnt stop em and just raised the price of detergent to wash blood out the crotches of pants theyd, well theyd carry on under pressure of the detergent selling industry

United States
    I never heard of the ban on hugging but I can get why a school might ban it. I personally hate hugging i'm just not a touchy feely hug me person. And of course it didn't help that a few guys I know and/or work with tell me they like hugging because they personally love the whole when a girl hugs 'em she's basically rubbing her goodies against them. But in general I think schools especially high school and junior high should ban hugging, and other forms of affection between couples etc. In high school I remember seeing girls making out, couples making out, and beyond that even... it was offensive and riddick. School isn't the place for some things.

I can remember the GI Joe or a similar incident like that. For me that touches home because when I was a kid in elementary school a school mate brought a knife to school and got booted from school. Unfortunately as it turned out the knife wasn't to hurt a student or anyone at the school he carried it as a means of protection from his own father and was later taken out of his home and put into the foster system.

And I remember the knife thing too. I love the KFC commercial where the office staff freaks out because one of their pals has a knife and they all run screaming for the hills and then she's like 'hey i'm eating a real lunch which requires a fork and a knife' ... I get that the school enforced the zero tolerance policy because hey... if they said whoops you need that for your steak then a kid who wants to do harm might wind up bringing something he actually needs to cut in case he gets caught with the knife. Its not like her parental unit couldnt cut up the steak for her before she went to school. I do love that someone sends their child to school with steak though lol...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJacksonCA View Post
    I never heard of the ban on hugging but I can get why a school might ban it
    Here you go!
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,156620,00.html

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/5...07hugs.article

yeah, I can see how hugging can get out of hand, but banning it seems a little bit overboard. Where will it end, a ban on shaking hands, smiling, speaking with the opposite sex, no dancing, mandatory veils for all females?

United States
    I think you're going a bit overboard to say that this could escalate into a no smiling policy. This kind of reminds me of a civil rights case that created the standard that children should be free from sexual advances at school. And I dont think of hugging as a right in school but as more of a privilege because in private schools that simply does not fly. Is it so hard for couples and friends to withold such displays of affection?

At the one school I went to the school hallway (of which there was only one) was 6 feet wide. It was a pain to navigate from one end of the building to the polar opposite end between all the couples just standing around holding hands, holding each other, sucking face, selling sex... it was riddick. And I dont even think middle school is the time to start having relationships. I remember thats when school dances start but I think at that age kids are still too young for relationships. Parents today dont spend enough time parenting their children or being a parent to their children. Thats part of why children are becoming overweight, having sex at 11, drinking, smoking, and generally behaving poorly. The schools are taking steps to behave like parents because its obvious some parents dont care or dont have the time.

I'm not a conservative I swear I just think children grow up with no morals and less values and that their behavior will deteriorate over time with little structure in their lives. I'm an advocate for public schools more strictly governing how children behave while in school and an even stronger supporter of segregated schools where its all male or all female and with strict uniform codes. School is an institution for learning first and foremost... why do people try to turn it into the Buena Vista Social Club?

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie View Post
    Haven't you heard? We can't decide such things for ourselves, Government knows best! Pretty soon we'll get a tax increase to pay for our medical insurance and then you'll REALLY see something.

M_
    Exactly. There are a couple of cities in California that are currently considering banning smoking in apartments. In other words, you won't even be able to smoke where you live, unless you can afford to live in a single family home. That's only a couple of steps away from banning smoking outright. I don't personally like smoking, but I do happen to like living in a free country.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Sunny Gulfland, Within sight of the Beautiful Manatee River
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    I don't personally like smoking, but I do happen to like living in a free country.
    Where is that now exactly?

M_
    "I would like to take you seriously, but to do so would affront your intelligence." William F. Buckley, Jr.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie View Post
    Where is that now exactly?

M_
    Your country is a hell of a lot more free than others,be thankful of that!russia doesnt allow as much freedom to its people as the US,neither do any of the middle eastern countries,china,korea,south east asia etc,when you look at it that way its not so bad.

On the subject of smoking though,it becomes illegal to smoke while driving in the UK on monday,they also have spoken of banning radio/cd players in cars & talking to your passengers as its "distracting",try those on for size!