Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Batman: Dark Knight extended director's cut...

Dead

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post

Look at the LOTR, Aliens, and best example of all, The Abyss... The extended versions are excellent...
    I'd add Terminator 2 to that list as well, but when you think about it, Aliens, Abyss, and T2 are all Cameron films. I think some directors can just deliver a good movie no matter what they decide to cut out or add in.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie04 View Post
    I'd add Terminator 2 to that list as well, but when you think about it, Aliens, Abyss, and T2 are all Cameron films. I think some directors can just deliver a good movie no matter what they decide to cut out or add in.
    Of course there are many others, as well. Donnie Darko, Alien, Apocalypse Now, Leon AKA The Professional, The Frighteners, Superman II: The Donner Cut, etc.

Yeah....I just wanted to go through my collection and see which director's cuts I liked.

Dead

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    Of course there are many others, as well. Donnie Darko, Alien, Apocalypse Now, Leon AKA The Professional, The Frighteners, Superman II: The Donner Cut, etc.

Yeah....I just wanted to go through my collection and see which director's cuts I liked.
    I agree with some of those picks, except I just did not like Donnie Darko, Alien I thought was good the way it was but the new footage didn't really add or take anything away from the movie, and I would add the workprint version of Alien 3. The theatrical version was just a disaster and the workprint just showed that David Fincher was doing his best to save a rather unnecessary sequel.

Super Moderator

UK
    Ah dude, the work print of Alien 3 is awesome.

I still like the theatrical, because it was the first one I saw, and have seen several times, and dates back for me to when I was a teenager, so it's kind of a nostalgia trip.

However - recently getting the DVD and seeing the Fincher version was WAY better and made LOADS more sense, plus it just felt far more 'up there' with the first two (not in the same league, but closer than the theatrical cut at least).

Dead

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Ah dude, the work print of Alien 3 is awesome.

I still like the theatrical, because it was the first one I saw, and have seen several times, and dates back for me to when I was a teenager, so it's kind of a nostalgia trip.

However - recently getting the DVD and seeing the Fincher version was WAY better and made LOADS more sense, plus it just felt far more 'up there' with the first two (not in the same league, but closer than the theatrical cut at least).
    what I don't understand is why they cut the scene when the prisoner lets the alien out of the trap. That was one plothole I never understood until the work print was released. I do love the workprint, but it was definitely the low point of the series until Resurrection came out, plus Ridley Scott and James Cameron are two tough acts to follow.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Guys, guys....

I haven't seen the "Assembly Cut" of Alien 3, but it's NOT David Fincher's. He refused to have any part of it. In fact, he denounces the film and says it's not his film at all. So this new cut is something that the studio put together.

I'm not saying it's bad. I haven't seen it. I'm just saying that it's not Fincher's and if he had 100% control from the beginning, there's no doubt in my mind that Alien 3 would have ranked up there with the first two.

Kazakhstan
    Actually Fincher gave the release of the assembly cut release his blessing, but refused to touch it. Fair play tbh, I like the film, but they messed him about so much, I doubt he wants to revisit that project.

An extended Dark Knight would be good, one of the few (but nonetheless significant) flaws the film had was that the pacing was very fast, there are scenes that are mere seconds long, and atcually have exchanges in them.

Although the dynamic of the film as a whole accomodates this to a certain degree, it does leave it feeling a little rushed in places. I hate to badmouth it without citing examples, but i'll have to wait for the dvd before I can nitpick specifics.

So aye, whether it happens or not, I like the idea
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE