Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wachovia->Citigroup->Wells Fargo

United States

Wachovia->Citigroup->Wells Fargo

Ok now I am worried again. This has been the longest weirdest week of work that I have ever had. Monday we get word that Citigroup is going to buy us out (I work for wachovia) and after the initial fear and panic ended we figued out that my department would probably be safe. Now, that deal is apparently off and Wachovia and Wells Fargo are merging? Oh lord. . .

Needless to say. . this sucks. I hate when job security is in doubt. and I absolutely HATE looking for a new job.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Dead

Undisclosed
    That sucks, I hope it all works out for you and your job is safe. At the moment I'm unemployed but that's only because I'm working nonstop on getting into grad school so I can get a job with some decent security. In a matter of weeks my own job hunt will begin, and what a crappy job market it is right now!

United States
    Well, stay out of the banking sector for right now if you can help it. Scary times.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie04 View Post
    That sucks, I hope it all works out for you and your job is safe. At the moment I'm unemployed but that's only because I'm working nonstop on getting into grad school so I can get a job with some decent security. In a matter of weeks my own job hunt will begin, and what a crappy job market it is right now!
    I am doing the same thing. Wells Fargo sucks, btw. I left them a few years ago to do business with another bank.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie04 View Post
    well bros, i've got a graduate degree and i got nuked today. ironic considering i just went back to work at the beginning of june. i have a doctorate in classical civ. i used to teach but after getting sick of that and taking two years off to be with my son, i got a job at miami univ in the academic affairs dept. well the dean comes into my office today with a letter in his hand and right away i'm thinking "this can't be good." he proceeds to tell me that under the revised budget (miami is sucking balls right now as far as money goes - they lost 12.5 million dollars last year and this year looks to be worse) my position has been eliminated as of oct. 31. FFFUUUUCCCKKKK.

at least my wife is a tenured professor here so as far as making ends meet, we'll be alright but damn i had a nice, cushy ass job and now i have to start over again.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    That freaking sucks,I hope you don't lose your job clanglee.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    well bros, i've got a graduate degree and i got nuked today. ironic considering i just went back to work at the beginning of june. i have a doctorate in classical civ. i used to teach but after getting sick of that and taking two years off to be with my son, i got a job at miami univ in the academic affairs dept. well the dean comes into my office today with a letter in his hand and right away i'm thinking "this can't be good." he proceeds to tell me that under the revised budget (miami is sucking balls right now as far as money goes - they lost 12.5 million dollars last year and this year looks to be worse) my position has been eliminated as of oct. 31. FFFUUUUCCCKKKK.

at least my wife is a tenured professor here so as far as making ends meet, we'll be alright but damn i had a nice, cushy ass job and now i have to start over again.
    Dude. . way to steal my pity party away!!!

I am very sorry to hear that man. With your education, it should'nt be too hard to find something else man. Good luck!
    Last edited by clanglee; 04-Oct-2008 at 10:03 AM.

United States
    So sorry to hear about your precarious situation, clanglee. I'll keep you in my thoughts and hope all the best for you...
    Mike70 - sorry, man. Best of luck in finding something else, and just glad to hear your wife is tenured.
    I'm pulling for you both.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    well bros, i've got a graduate degree and i got nuked today.
    Man, sorry to hear that, and hope you find a new situation soon.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Dead

Undisclosed
    that sucks dude, hope you can get back to work soon!

United States
    Just opened a damn account with Wachovia, too. Been depositing money in there for the past while, and just dropped half a G in there this week.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcades057 View Post
    Just opened a damn account with Wachovia, too. Been depositing money in there for the past while, and just dropped half a G in there this week.
    Well you will be fine. Your money isn't going anywhere. It'll just switch to Wells Fargo. . I guess. .at the moment anyways. Who knows. Maybe Monday I'll go to work and they'll say "screw it!! We decided to just stick with ourselves instead." Gah!!! It's the not knowing what the heck is going on that bothers me.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    well clang, a judge has just blocked the merger between wells-fargo and wachovia. seems that citigroup is crying foul over the whole ordeal.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/10/05/wel...rss_topstories
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    I'm not too concerned with it, as I doubt the bank will suddenly abscond with my money.

Every deposit I make I feel like Oskar Schindler at the end of Schindler's List. "If only I'd deposited another $20! I could've kept the bank open for another hour. Had I sold a gun! A day... the bank would've stayed open for a day! Maybe an hour..."
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm sorry to hear that, dude.

PS - There's a Miami in Ohio?